Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Style of play

ManSolo

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Wolves fans!

As I am based in Oslo and unable to attend most games I would appreciate to hear your views on what style of play Wolves fans feel we should try to emulate.

Keywords:
Possession based with skill a la Wenger
High tempo direct
4-4-2 hoofball
4-5-1 defensive containment
4-3-3 offensive fullbacks - 3 midfielders with engines - wide wingers - technical strong target man
Dutch total football of the 1970s

What matters the most is your view and how to attain that style of play.

=O=

P

PeteWolf

4-4-2 with an attacking game directed through the wingers.

If we as a football club have a style of play, then that is it. It's what the fans understand and want to see, not defensive football, or passing football or any other type.

It worked for Cullis and the sides of the 70s, and the only team we've had promoted in recent years depended on the wing play of Kennedy and Newton.

Some clubs and their fans are suited to a passing, patient style. Not us. Most fans have been bought up on the likes of Hancocks, Mullen, Wagstaffe, Hibbit, Dennison, Froggatt and I don't think it's much coincidence that Kightly is the latest hero of choice.

Ask me to think of one goal and it's Froggatt bombing it down the left wing on the break against Southend with two men on him and Bully charging through the centre at full pelt before the cross comes in and Bully smashes it past their keeper (going back to the 94-95 season I think, we won 5-0). That's the way to play the game.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Personally I'd just love us to have a style of play at the moment.

Unless you call "make it up as we go along" one.

Sozzled Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4-4-2 with an attacking game directed through the wingers.

If we as a football club have a style of play, then that is it. It's what the fans understand and want to see, not defensive football, or passing football or any other type.

It worked for Cullis and the sides of the 70s, and the only team we've had promoted in recent years depended on the wing play of Kennedy and Newton.

Some clubs and their fans are suited to a passing, patient style. Not us. Most fans have been bought up on the likes of Hancocks, Mullen, Wagstaffe, Hibbit, Dennison, Froggatt and I don't think it's much coincidence that Kightly is the latest hero of choice.

Ask me to think of one goal and it's Froggatt bombing it down the left wing on the break against Southend with two men on him and Bully charging through the centre at full pelt before the cross comes in and Bully smashes it past their keeper (going back to the 94-95 season I think, we won 5-0). That's the way to play the game.

I don't think many on here would disagree with that. And when you've also got central midfielders who like to make surging runs to give the winger another person to aim for, you've got an exciting combination.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need more than a dull manager to be able to do that Sozzled.

F

fickleasfolk

Defend,make mistake,goal.
Chase game,hoof ball,cross fingers.

Sozzled Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need more than a dull manager to be able to do that Sozzled.

Indeed, KB. I was referring back to the days of Cameron et al, getting on the end of crosses from Kennedy & Newton. Happy days.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves = wingers. Two QUALITY wingers plus a powerful centre forward who is good in the air plus a PLAYMAKER are essential for this club.

442 probably is best for us but that demands real quality in central midfield also which we have lacked for most of the past 25 years with the honourable exception of Paul Cook and for a season Alex Rae/Paul Ince/Colin Cameron.

We have Kightly and (possibly) Jarvis to do the business on the wings but we need at least one more QUALITY winger to cover/compete with them. We still need a tall, powerful intelligent centre forward (NOT Mr Kyle!) to dovetail with SEB. Above all we need that elusive PLAYMAKER - that is the biggest gap of all imv. If we could find the right player it would be worth breaking the bank to get him unless a certain Mark Davies can break through once and for all.

Two new powerful centrebacks with one being at least 6ft 3 also needed to make 442 work and lessen the workload for the two in the middle of the park in terms of tracking back to cover all the time.

No. 7 George Bowen

Reaction score
Direct attacking wing play is the Wolves way. I would like to see us keep it on the floor but have the ability to mix it up if needed as Manure do.
4-4-2 the classic with a holding midfielder and an attacking midfielder (Brian Howard from Barnsley, Surman, Davies or Bennett)
4-5-1 ala Mourinho at Chelsea with Kightly and Jarvis bombing on can work. An option for a tough away game or we decide to hold a lead in a tight game.
3-4-3 ala Pasquale Marino at Udinese particularly for when poor teams come here and only play one up front who often isn't very good anyway. Also if we are chasing a game better to chase it in an attacking formation where every player knows his role.

Three systems that will suit any circumstance. Only the 3-4-3 would need any real practice and the three formations can all offer flexibility during games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom