Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Strikers this summer

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had assumed that Willian Jose rather than Guedes was being referred to as l never really saw the latter as a striker.
I was referring to Jose as he never wanted to come here.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa Kalajdzic to Sky Austria.....

“For myself, I try to ask the question every day, why, why this had happened. The bad luck was that it was no coincidence. It was supposed to happen. You can find many arguments and many reasons. “Now we’re looking at my first knee injury. There’s my opponents, he fell really stupidly into my knee, and I think anyone would have injured the cruciate ligament in that instance. It’s stupid, stupid little things where you think to yourself, why did that happen to me, why does this happen to me so often? “That’s what we are looking at. We are looking at what we can do better, and we are definitely working on it. So, as far as my physicality is concerned, we’re trying to get me to a level where I shouldn’t have any problems in the Premier League. “I’ve never felt as strong as I am now. Just from a strength point of view, we’re working very, very hard in the weight room. Yes, I’ve been in rehab here longer than I was in Stuttgart, but I don’t want to talk it down. “It’s just that the method we’re using now, that’s just not the same. I also talked to the trainers and physios in Stuttgart, and they found it interesting how the English approached it – there were differences.”

This guy is going to come back with the physicality of Haaland next season! :tearsofjoy:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where did I say anything of the sort? I'm merely pointing out that there is no such thing as a ready made guaranteed goal scoring striker in our price range or ability to attract. Of course we need more goals, you would have to be a lunatic not to think that, but anyone we buy will be a gamble that might not come off. But judging by your last sentence you'd have a great future starring in the Wizard of Oz

View attachment 34679

Apologies, yes, got the wrong end of the stick. Whenever the striker issue emerges (i.e. since Jota sale), it seems there are those who think it impossible to get a goal scorer, so was reacting to that.

Totally agree that there is no such thing as a guaranteed goal scorer. How much is luck and how much judgement? Brentford got Toney. Had some injuries, yet seems fine now and has scored plenty. We got Sasa. Had some injuries, lasted 30 minutes.

Other clubs are gambling on Championship players who do fine for them - eg Watkins and Eze. Both those cost less than the upwards of £35m we've spent on forwards, so players like that are within our price range. Though there are also plenty of flops. My point is, don't we have recruitment experts at the club who assess possible players? Of course nothing is guaranteed. But we are consistently signing forwards who were either never goal scorers at this level. Or if they were, the goals dry up instantly.

My opinion is that if we are serious about competing at this level, we need to sign at least 2 players with a realistic chance of scoring at this level, based on their track record, not wishful thinking. Yes, there is no guarantee, but currently we seem to be doing worse than plucking Championship level goal scorers at random!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but I don't think it's just the wingers . We are the deepest setup team in the Prem when we get possession I would bet . As never do I see 2 CMs of any other team in the Prem be behind the CDs . We do this most games . So anyone tell me how when we get the ball we are to move it forward when there is no CM to pass to . So it goes wide to fullback then to a winger then back to the already deep CM for us then to go sideways to pass to a winger who then loses the ball more often than not .

Because our forwards lose possession so cheaply, we are defending counter attacks so often. Just check the Brighton & Man U highlights for examples of opponents goals that start with us in possession inside the opponents half, giving the ball away, then conceding an serious chance within seconds.

We played the same way under Nuno , yet managed to score goals. Neves and Saiss would often be barely in front of the back 3 in the Championship, too. Though they did get forward more, that is the difference with the Premier League and the Championship. Down there, you aren't playing against highly skilled greyhounds who'll be past you and shooting within 5 seconds if you lose the ball inside the opponents half.

It sometimes looks like the horseshoe of doom got embedded in our DNA! Because other than Neves, there is nobody of that team left. Yet we still seem uncomfortable playing any other way.

JL has done a great job to keep us up . But this approach needs to change fast or any signings we do make for up front will have no chance of scoring as will have no service .

We beat villa but look how many times buendia popped up just outside the box . Look at Ming's in our box driving forward . Brighton don't start but their players overlap and press forward when they haven't got the ball. Until that mindset changes along with investment in the spine of the team I see similar to last 2/3 seasons I am afraid.

I think it needs different players to make it work. Since that time after Sevilla when Nuno mentioned about transforming away from a counter attacking side, we've conceded more, while scoreing less.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how we play as long as we get results.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strikers

Fabio
Cunha
Sasa

Maybe Costa

Farmer, Fraser & Campbell probably loaned out

I’d try sign Piroe off Swansea if we can get home for 15m knows where the net is

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some big names being thrown around here.

Percy reported that the club sees Sasa Kalajdzic as a key player next season.

We've also seen yesterday's article that we are unlikely to spend big.

We're being linked with Gyokeres and El Bilal Toure for around the £20-25m mark.

I think we need to prepare ourselves for Sasa and Cunha being our starting partnership next season, with a couple of younger players as backup.

Kalajdzic and one of Gyorkeres or El Bilal Toure for the target man role.

Cunha or Silva for the support striker role.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies, yes, got the wrong end of the stick. Whenever the striker issue emerges (i.e. since Jota sale), it seems there are those who think it impossible to get a goal scorer, so was reacting to that.

Totally agree that there is no such thing as a guaranteed goal scorer. How much is luck and how much judgement? Brentford got Toney. Had some injuries, yet seems fine now and has scored plenty. We got Sasa. Had some injuries, lasted 30 minutes.

Other clubs are gambling on Championship players who do fine for them - eg Watkins and Eze. Both those cost less than the upwards of £35m we've spent on forwards, so players like that are within our price range. Though there are also plenty of flops. My point is, don't we have recruitment experts at the club who assess possible players? Of course nothing is guaranteed. But we are consistently signing forwards who were either never goal scorers at this level. Or if they were, the goals dry up instantly.

My opinion is that if we are serious about competing at this level, we need to sign at least 2 players with a realistic chance of scoring at this level, based on their track record, not wishful thinking. Yes, there is no guarantee, but currently we seem to be doing worse than plucking Championship level goal scorers at random!
Look at how much both Vile and Palace spent on strikers who flopped. It's all too easy to focus on the successes at other clubs and the flops at ours and ignore the whole bigger picture.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This must be considered the number 1 priority this summer.

We’ve had so many shots at it now that simply weren’t up to it ….. Cutrone, Sasa, Cunha, Guedes, Costa, Hwang, and most costing a lot of money!!
I bet you could count the number of goals they have collectively scored without going far into double figures!!! Just shameful!

I’m reminded of the time Blackburn paid out £3m on Alan Shearer and we went to £750,000 on Ned Kelly!!

We’d have been better off signing half of the above, and paying decent money for the top performers who’d at least get into double figures.

It would transform our side and our season

Amsterdam Wolf

Reaction score
NICLAS FÜLLKRUG - Plays for Werder Bremen (12th in the Bundesliga) German International - 16 Goals in the Bundesliga this season + 6 goals in 6 games for Germany. According to Lothar Mattheus “He would probably be available for 20 to 25 million Euro. He has already scored 20 times at Werder,” he had assessed, adding that he’d be “an ideal player for the Premier League” and that “he’s a bit of a street footballer,” suggesting he has an element of physical toughness and grit.

30 years old - 6Ft 2 - Physical and Direct and no-nonsense. That sounds like what we have been missing.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
NICLAS FÜLLKRUG - Plays for Werder Bremen (12th in the Bundesliga) German International - 16 Goals in the Bundesliga this season + 6 goals in 6 games for Germany. According to Lothar Mattheus “He would probably be available for 20 to 25 million Euro. He has already scored 20 times at Werder,” he had assessed, adding that he’d be “an ideal player for the Premier League” and that “he’s a bit of a street footballer,” suggesting he has an element of physical toughness and grit.

30 years old - 6Ft 2 - Physical and Direct and no-nonsense. That sounds like what we have been missing.
I seriously doubt that Fosun would pay that fee for someone that age with likely zero value after three to four years.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence, Traore , Jimmy, Guedes and Costa should leave.
Neto, Sasa, Silva kept for another season for development and a 2024/5 decision. but not relied upon
Hwang Cunha and Sarabia + new two quality strikers the main men .

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that Fosun would pay that fee for someone that age with likely zero value after three to four years.
But if he scores the goals to get us into Europe it would be worth it.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at how much both Vile and Palace spent on strikers who flopped. It's all too easy to focus on the successes at other clubs and the flops at ours and ignore the whole bigger picture.

What is that bigger picture?

For me, the bigger picture is just how exceptionally poor our goal scoring has been. Not a blip. Not merely below average. Our goals scored is rock bottom at the moment and was on a par with the bottom 3 for 2 seasons before. Palace have not been that bad. And Villa have been nowhere near. Last 3 seasons, Villa have scored 55, 52, 48. We have 36, 38, 30. Our flops have outflopped Villa flops very well!

What to do though? We could stop keep signing forwards who are not goal scorers, perhaps?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 assists still isn't good though. It's just less ****. Admittedly better than 1 though.
Tbf though the expected stats only count where it ends in an effort on goal. It wouldn’t include all the times he’s put in a decent cross but had no one on the end of it, which with the few bodies we get in there would add up.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf though the expected stats only count where it ends in an effort on goal. It wouldn’t include all the times he’s put in a decent cross but had no one on the end of it, which with the few bodies we get in there would add up.
If no one gets on the end of it, it wasn't a good cross. That's the trouble with Adama, his crosses are often poor.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I agree that we do need someone quality to lead the line . I do feel that we are missing the bigger picture here . I think we need the approach to change from the team with the midfield higher up and pressing. Then when we get the ball there would be more options and players to create chances in the final third.

I would love to have put Watkins in our 11 all season and see how many goals he would have . Yes probably a few more than costa , Cunha . But really how many chances are these players getting in the games . I would bet it's not as many as other teams . Hence why I say the approach needs to change as well as a striker .

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. We don't move the ball through the middle and attack exclusively down the wings. We're too easy to defend against and it starves out strikers.
We have ready made midfielder’s who will play more Down the middle in Gomes and Boubacar Trarora,once Ruben moves.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it will,Cunha has shown glimpses of being a decent player.Works hard and good positioning.Hello my names Sasha will be stronger with all the rehabilitation he’s had ,and Fabio will have a point to prove.To be honest I’m looking forward to seeing how Sasha does next season.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it will,Cunha has shown glimpses of being a decent player.Works hard and good positioning.Hello my names Sasha will be stronger with all the rehabilitation he’s had ,and Fabio will have a point to prove.To be honest I’m looking forward to seeing how Sasha does next season.
Sasa

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve had a drink pal,chill out
I actually like Cunha. Skilful, can beat a player, but doesn't score. Fabio looks good in the Dutch league, but not sure he can do it here. I doubt Sasa will last 5 minutes before he breaks something again.

So, it's too much of a risk. We need a good, healthy, bloke up top that can score, and one of the other two can play off him.

Sorry, now, where is that fridge.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Percy reported that the club sees Sasa Kalajdzic as a key player next season.

Maybe, but from a risk perspective we would be reckless to bank anything on a player who is currently crocked, whomever he is.

There's also the usual thing that players returning from a season out, often take another season to get back to proper form, speed and mental match fitness...that's if they avoid another injury when their body is not completely tuned in. I would expect Sasa to be a sub at best and have to ease his way back in, if he proves himself good enough.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe, but from a risk perspective we would be reckless to bank anything on a player who is currently crocked, whomever he is.

There's also the usual thing that players returning from a season out, often take another season to get back to proper form, speed and mental match fitness...that's if they avoid another injury when their body is not completely tuned in. I would expect Sasa to be a sub at best and have to ease his way back in, if he proves himself good enough.
Agreed. May have the attributes but looks to be made of glass.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If no one gets on the end of it, it wasn't a good cross. That's the trouble with Adama, his crosses are often poor.
We’ll have to disagree on that one, I think there’s many times you can say that’s a great ball but it wasn’t anticipated or even just not having enough bodies in there.

I hate to do this but, I think you put Adama in Brighton’s side this season who get 3-4 bodies in the box every attack and he’d have had a fair few assists.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll have to disagree on that one, I think there’s many times you can say that’s a great ball but it wasn’t anticipated or even just not having enough bodies in there.

I hate to do this but, I think you put Adama in Brighton’s side this season who get 3-4 bodies in the box every attack and he’d have had a fair few assists.
I must say that l am inclined to agree. It's harder to defend when several players are attacking the ball.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you put Ryan Giles's feet on Adama's body we'd have the best winger in the world.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strikers

Fabio
Cunha
Sasa

Maybe Costa

Farmer, Fraser & Campbell probably loaned out

I’d try sign Piroe off Swansea if we can get home for 15m knows where the net is

Fabio - Unproven
Cunha - isnt a goalscorer
Sasa - injury prone, will he play week after week?

We need another " proven" top level striker aswell as those 3.

Sell, Neves, Guedes and pretty much all of our none scoring wide forwards to fund it.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A strike force of Fabio, Cunha and Sasa fills me with dread. It will get us relegated.
I don't think it'd get us relegated. But I fear it would leave us little better than where we currently are.

Silva remains a pretty unknown quantity, could be good could be average (i.e., he's a good footballer, but it's unclear whether he's top half PL level, either now or in the next few years), Cunha is good but doesn't score many, and Sasa might play every game, might play a couple?

We need a quality striker. It seems like we're being simplistic (goal scorer = goals) but in this case I think the lad leading the line has to be better than what we've got now.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A strike force of Fabio, Cunha and Sasa fills me with dread. It will get us relegated.
Fabio and Cunha rotating minutes as second strikers playing off the centre forward could work. If we're depending on Sasa as our only centre forward then I'd be absolutely terrified of a third successive ACL. It's unfathomable that we won't make it our biggest priority this summer.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Fabio and Sasa have to be given a run in the team to see if they can score goals. Seems to me Cunha will not score goals, I hope I am proved wrong. We could put and play Hwang in striker category. We need a proven premier league striker. Forest hit the jackpot T Awoniyi £17m everything I want to see as a striker. Apparently he was spotted years ago by S Olofinjana. So next season go with Fabio, Sasa, Cunha, Hwang and A.N. Other. Solanke would not be a bad shout, but think we need better.

Back
Top Bottom