Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stories on Nuno in the media this week.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The article in the Athletic seems spot on.
We have lost our identity, and to paraphrase , either Wolves ( with or without Nuno )need to revitalise the team to cover the loss of Jota , Doherty, Jonny and Jimenez and get back on the training ground for a sustained period. But having lost that identity it may not return .

Lycaon

Reaction score
Not a lot in there that we didn’t already suspect or know tbh.
However, hopefully with a crowd behind the team come August our fortunes might change for the better?

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lot of respect for John Percy. When he says stuff it counts.... so was bit worried to see him mention Neves and Boly as players who might benefit from new surroundings

no surprise as saleable assets, but wondering if Neves paper stories might be more than just rumours. I always thought no-one would pay the huge fee we would ask, but I wonder if there's a gentlemen's agreement that we would let him go for a fee that wouldn't put Man U, Liverpool, City off etc

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's all been said before. When Nuno talks about identity, I don't think he means 5 (3) at the back and pace in attack. I think he means staying humble and always trying to learn and improve. As we've seen before sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. Nobody would doubt that he got the absolute maximum from the squad in the previous 2 PL seasons. What he needed were some new players and some different options. What he got was Semedo, some promising kids and a shed load of injuries. Everyone needs a good break and a chance to start again and I'm desperate to see that he has been backed with the right players and found a way to play to dominate lower teams and compete with the big boys. No guarantees, but how **** would it be if there were?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes offering nuno around because the Wolves cash has dried up. Bring in that Sean Dyche lol

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Apparently a story kicking around this morning that Mendes had more or less chosen Bruno Lage as our next manager. Mendes must be the most highly paid DoF in world football...

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anybody know much about Lage? Does he play a more attacking game?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There will always be rumours, but as much as we lay the blame as covid related, Nuno has lost that spark, that fire he used to have. And that will then fuel these rumours even more. He does seem to have that look about him lately that he isn't enjoying it here anymore for whatever reason whether it's personal or football related, and it's being reflected in his players. Big summer ahead for lots of reasons.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I’m a big fan of Nuno, and had already read the athletic before I found this thread. Reading reading the other article as well, it does seem that ‘Project Part I - The Portuguese Adventure’ might be coming to a natural conclusion.

Mendes isn’t making much commission with half his stable sitting tettenhall for years at a time....

However, given Fosuns statement on the ESL I’d be pretty sure they have some ideas for the script for part 2.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Spurs have supposedly approached Ten Hag at Ajax.

I’d be stunned if Levy appointed Nuno. The Spurs supporters I know all wanted Mourinho out because the defensive, counter-attacking football played wasn’t ‘in keeping with the Spurs traditions of flair and attacking intent’. As much as I love Nuno, he’s the closest thing to Mourinho in terms of how his teams are set up.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs have supposedly approached Ten Hag at Ajax.

I’d be stunned if Levy appointed Nuno. The Spurs supporters I know all wanted Mourinho out because the defensive, counter-attacking football played wasn’t ‘in keeping with the Spurs traditions of flair and attacking intent’. As much as I love Nuno, he’s the closest thing to Mourinho in terms of how his teams are set up.
Spot on Tring. And Nuno this season, to me, would put any 'big' club ruling him out of managing there. Mourinho and Nuno are too similar in defensive mindedness. Seeing how we have struggled this season has surely ruled Nuno out of any massive club wanting him.

Not as though Tottenham are massive, they aren't, but you know what I mean... a club supposedly bigger than us.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That article makes a lot more sense that most of the tripe that is usually written.

There's enough detail in it make it plausible. Not suggesting it's all true but I'm more inclined to believe it than not.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The article in the Athletic seems spot on.
We have lost our identity, and to paraphrase , either Wolves ( with or without Nuno )need to revitalise the team to cover the loss of Jota , Doherty, Jonny and Jimenez and get back on the training ground for a sustained period. But having lost that identity it may not return .

Yes, agreed with that article.

A similar thing happened to Stoke. Yes, their identity was different to ours, but when they got rid of Pulis and tried to change that identity, despite some initial success of three 9th place finishes, they just became another team and were eventually relegated.

I said on another thread about how important the next few years were for us. We either push on like Leicester did, or we will end up like a Southampton, just in a cycle of selling out best players to fund another push for mid-table. Or worse than that, we make some poor choices in the transfer market and end up like Stoke.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I tweeted a tactical analysis video last night. There was a Arsenal fan doing some research in to managers mentioned for them before they hired Arteta and Lage was one of them. Tom Kundert, who writes for PortuGoal and extensively covers Portuguese football contributed to the video.

TL;DR:

• Plays 442 with 2 sitting midfielders, one of which is a Box 2 Box type, the other a playmaker.
  • In the 442, one of the strikers comes deeper to link play, making it a 4-4-1-1 (During his time at Benfica, this was Joao Felix and the target man Haris Seferovic).
  • He inverts the winger to create more through the middle
  • He encourages his full backs to overlap to huge effect - they combined for 23 assists in the year he won the league there.
  • Not afraid to use youth - Felix and Florentino Luis had breakout seasons there.
  • They moved the ball quickly, with sharp passing moves and players looking to step in for counters.
  • They scored 103 goals during his time as manager and overturned what was considered a huge points deficit to nick the title from Porto.
When said out loud, he doesn't seem a thrilling appointment.

But when you look at the numbers and the analysis - he could be quite exciting.

D

Deleted member 11332

Hes only managed Benfica and they have to be on the front foot every game really as there's a lot of poor quality bar the obvious 4/5.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont believe Nuno will go this summer, unless he wants to move himself ,either for a break or for the Portugal job ,should it arise
Should it happen i think we will move heaven and earth to get Lopetgui,but should that not happen then i agree Lage is a good option

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont believe Nuno will go this summer, unless he wants to move himself ,either for a break or for the Portugal job ,should it arise
Should it happen i think we will move heaven and earth to get Lopetgui,but should that not happen then i agree Lage is a good option

Sevilla are in with a chance of winning La Liga and will undoubtedly qualify for Europe.

I don't think moving heaven and Earth would make a difference.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I look at the list of managers that spurs are eyeing up and I think spurs are going to struggle for a few years.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks very interesting. Wasn’t there a rumour a season or two ago that Lage was being lined up as Nuno’s successor?

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sevilla are in with a chance of winning La Liga and will undoubtedly qualify for Europe.

Wages and a big transfer kitty may do it. He was willing to join us in the championship and we are a much more attractive proposition now.

D

Deleted member 11332

Yes, agreed with that article.

A similar thing happened to Stoke. Yes, their identity was different to ours, but when they got rid of Pulis and tried to change that identity, despite some initial success of three 9th place finishes, they just became another team and were eventually relegated.

I said on another thread about how important the next few years were for us. We either push on like Leicester did, or we will end up like a Southampton, just in a cycle of selling out best players to fund another push for mid-table. Or worse than that, we make some poor choices in the transfer market and end up like Stoke.

Ours should be an easier transition than Stoke though you'd imagine. They tried to go from a direct team with huge freaks up front to a ball blasting side with the likes of bojan and Shaquiri, ours should be more subtle.

D

Deleted member 11332

They'll qualify for the cl but they'll more than likely finish 4th. Seems like no one wants to win it in la Liga though so who knows.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks very interesting. Wasn’t there a rumour a season or two ago that Lage was being lined up as Nuno’s successor?
Yes also was heavily linked with a move to Villa in the summer to replace Smith... So would seem to be keen on getting a move over here..

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No idea to be honest - He's not a name I have heard much about, which is odd considering the success he had at Benfica in that one season.

It would probably require a sigificant player turnover to make that 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 work. Currently you would say the following players fit it:

Rui

Semedo - Boly - New CB - New LB

Traore - New CM - Neves - Neto

Silva

Raul
That's just to pick a starting 11, not including any back ups to play the specific roles it would require.

Either way, it looks like a BIG summer is on the horizon, Nuno or not.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ours should be an easier transition than Stoke though you'd imagine. They tried to go from a direct team with huge freaks up front to a ball blasting side with the likes of bojan and Shaquiri, ours should be more subtle.

Huge freaks :tearsofjoy:

I hope you're right. To an extent, it did work for Stoke. But once they had got rid of the last of that original core of players, coupled with poor choices of signings like Odemwinge and Berahinho, it just went South.

My only worry for Wolves is once that original core of players from our recent successes has gone. We have to have new, high-profile leaders that will come in and replace that.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea to be honest - He's not a name I have heard much about, which is odd considering the success he had at Benfica in that one season.

It would probably require a sigificant player turnover to make that 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 work. Currently you would say the following players fit it:

Rui

Semedo - Boly - New CB - New LB

Traore - New CM - Neves - Neto

Silva

Raul
That's just to pick a starting 11, not including any back ups to play the specific roles it would require.

Either way, it looks like a BIG summer is on the horizon, Nuno or not.

I think a lot of player recruitment this summer is going to be shaped by how Nuno wants to set up next season.

One indicator of this might be what the U23s and U18s are doing. We have always had a consistent approach to style and formation across all of our sides, but the youth sides have recently been setting up 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. That might be in preparation for us playing predominately that way next season.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot of player recruitment this summer is going to be shaped by how Nuno wants to set up next season.

One indicator of this might be what the U23s and U18s are doing. We have always had a consistent approach to style and formation across all of our sides, but the youth sides have recently been setting up 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. That might be in preparation for us playing predominately that way next season.

Yeah I agree, if Nuno is around I fully expect us to move to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and our recruitment to be shaped accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom