Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Still waiting......

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For an intelligent reason why WBA and Smallsall label us Dingles.

Is it really so much as them picking a ragamuffin family from a tv soap, and calling us the name just for the sake of it? Is there a moment deep rooted in history that leads them to call us this name, or something geographical? I asked a WBA fan I used to work with, on several occasions, and each time the answer was different.

Do they have an intelligent reason?

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always thought it was strange and posted as much. Burnley are the dingles. odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was survey a few years back on which clubs supporters were the most fashionable.

Wolves came 91st out of 92.

I doubt this is the reason WBA call us Dingles though because they were 92nd :D

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a strange way I have grown to like it. It was always the most bewildering "tag" ever being that our ground and surrounding areas has always been far better sight than the aforementioned.

Infact in terms of Walsall I encourage them to call it us, because it is absolutely comedy gold really and I don't even need to justify why there.

W

wolvesultra

Is it really so much as them picking a ragamuffin family from a tv soap, and calling us the name just for the sake of it? Is there a moment deep rooted in history that leads them to call us this name, or something geographical? I asked a WBA fan I used to work with, on several occasions, and each time the answer was different.

First time I remember hearing it was at an away game at Albion late 90s when there was lets say a scruffy farmer type looking bloke in our end towards the old Rainbow Stand where a lot of banter came from in those days.

Most people seem to think its just calling us scruffy really but my first impression was that (to them anyway) as Wolverhampton has some rural areas (mostly the otherside) they were insinuating we were farmer/village idiot types, Initially anyway.

W

WasStefan

I'm still waiting for a logical response as to why Albion do the 'boing boing'.

M

Major Winters

The 'Dingles' tag was started by Blackburn fans about Burnley fans many years ago. Being from Lancashire and there being a traditional rivalry with Yorkshire (where the Dingles are from) it sort of made sense.

Albion fans obviously thought this was very witty, stole the joke and adapted it for us. Except it doesn't really work all that well.

The funniest thing about it is how funny they all seem to think it is, except a. it doesn't make any sort of sense and b. it really isn't that offensive!!

W

wolvesultra

I once saw the guy who plays Kane Dingle dj at a club in Manchester, played some decent tunes.

This fact is about as relevant as them lot calling us dingles.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always think liking us to a family off a Yorkshire ex-Farming TV soap is pretty lame and shows no clever thinking.

Agree that a lot of our fans fashion sense leaves a lot to be desired.

C

churchdowner

I was of the understanding that is was because Emmerdales Butch Dingle used to wear a scarf in our colours. And he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. Hence them calling us Dingles.

W

wolvesultra

I was of the understanding that is was because Emmerdales Butch Dingle used to wear a scarf in our colours. And he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. Hence them calling us Dingles.

my brother once met the guy who played Butch Dingle he was lost in Wolverhampton looking for the Grand Theatre.

Another completely pointless Dingle related fact.

W

Woffles

Basically, when the post Italia 90/Fantasy Football nouveau fan brigade started to take an interest in football, Albion's share of them decided they need a 'funny' nickname to call us. 'Tatters' never really caught on, so they moved on to 'Dingles', even though it was already being used by Blackburn fans, somewhat more appropriately it must be said, against their rural 'Yorkshire' neighbours Burnley.

My personal favourite baggie jibe is that we're from Staffordshire. Works on every level, given that -

a. West Bromwich, Wolverhampton, Walsall and much of the Black Country were all historically in Staffordshire until 1974 local government reorganisation.

b. Who could possibly give a **** anyway?

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My mate used to play in the same pub team in Nottingham as the lad who plays Sam Dingle,could that be the reason?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
The funniest thing is that they and Walsall just don't get the irony.

If there were teams with more inbred, low IQ, benefit dependent supporters than these two!

I quite revel in it to be honest it just screws with their brain, it's quite funny them not knowing where to go next. Especially when I respond I may be a dingle but you're an A****n fan.

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I once saw the guy who plays Kane Dingle dj at a club in Manchester, played some decent tunes.

This fact is about as relevant as them lot calling us dingles.

my brother once met the guy who played Butch Dingle he was lost in Wolverhampton looking for the Grand Theatre.

My mate used to play in the same pub team in Nottingham as the lad who plays Sam Dingle,could that be the reason?

:D It's clearly because we are obsessed with them :D

L

long ball man

We may not like 'Dingle' and frankly it is lazy and nothing whatsoever to do with Wolverhampton. You can't deny it's caught on though. Habitually callers on radio phone ins refer to us as 'Dingles' not just WBA fans and everyone knows whom they are referring to.

Would be interested to know if the more logical tagging of Burnley fans as Dingles is still used.

Oh and re origins - yes I believe it was WBA fans' 'tribute' to a Zak Dingle lookalike Wolves fan who used to attend in the late 90s.

Remind me again how prosperous Sandwell is compared to Wolverhampton.

LINT70

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is pretty amusing that they think we may be offended by it, just like Coventry fans used to sing the yam yam yam yam song at us.

My usual response is 'I'd rather be a dingle than a $$$$$$' - usually shuts them up.

W

wolvesultra

It is pretty amusing that they think we may be offended by it, just like Coventry fans used to sing the yam yam yam yam song at us.

My usual response is 'I'd rather be a dingle than a $$$$$$' - usually shuts them up.

Coventry fans are a bit thick they also used to sing the Yam Yam thing to Blues and Villa

Last edited by a moderator:

LINT70

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The swear filter word rhymes with Steven Hunt by the way!

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coventry fans are a bit thick they also used to sing the Yam Yam thing to Blues and Villa

To be fair, Northampton is a long way from the West Midlands so they probably don't get the local nuance in accent.

D

Deleted member 4152

The irony being that Butch dingle and lee hughes look remarkably similar!

H

Hathwolves

I can remember the look of shock and surprise on the faces of blues fans in the late 90s when they did the yam yam song with the dambusters arms when they were beating us, but as soon as we went into the lead, most of molineux retorted with the same gesture.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I definitely recall it being because we had a zak dingle lookalike, I seem to remember he was pictured in a national paper too.
I was in Alicante airport this year and this funny looking women caught my accent and asked where I was from and straight away asked who I supported. This six fingered slobbering fat wreck had the nerve to keep repeating dingle to me. It really is ironic.

London Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I first heard it I thought I was being called a dingle-berry

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
I always thought it had something to do with dingos...

mexy

Reaction score
if ur proud to be a dingle clap ur hands
if ur proud to be a dingle clap ur hands
if your proud to be a dingle,proud to be a dingle,proud to be a dingle
clap ur hands:D

D

Dewsburywolf

I know there's the Emmerdale thing but I also thought it had some vague connection to our legendary fan Fingles (RIP) as well

W

wolvesultra

I can remember the look of shock and surprise on the faces of blues fans in the late 90s when they did the yam yam song with the dambusters arms when they were beating us, but as soon as we went into the lead, most of molineux retorted with the same gesture.

I love it when we give it the Yam Yam dambusters song back at them, for some reason they see it as some sort of insult. Personally I take an immense sense of pride in being a 'Yam Yam' rather than a Brummie.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a logical reason as to why anyone would support Albion

P

pj2007

Many local fans near to me always refer to Wolves as the '$$$$$'....very endearing.
There's been many an argument over who exactly is the '$$$$$', the popular opinion points to Wolves for some reason

W

wolvesultra

er....Premiership

if Albion have fans who's reason for supporting them is that they are in the Premiership then they are $$$$ing welcome to them.

I still wish we could get rid of the clowns who only started following Wolves in 2003!

Back
Top Bottom