Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Morgans Warchest

How much remaining to spend

• 15m+

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • 10m-15m

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 6m+

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • 3m+

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • less than 3m

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last May, after the catastrophe of last season SM promised a 'warchest' for new players this season.

In the wake of Guediora, Mendez-Laing, Kightly and Fletcher leaving for a combined fee in the region of 18m and the purchases of Siguardsson and Tongo on loan that leaves about 15m remaining. How much of this would you expect SM will sanction for player arrivals??

K

kaohsiungwolf

I don't care how much they spend, as long as it's well spent - we're in the Championship we aren't going to be splashing out on 6m+ players any more.

How much did Jarvis and Kightly cost us again? Come to think of it, wasn't fallen hero Kightly a loan to begin with? :eek:

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves still have players to shift, wagewise, to make way for new players, so this may drag out for a while.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More players to come out before any go in. It's "one-for-one" at the moment, which I completely agree with. No1 problem for us at the moment is the McCarthy era has left our squad full of $$$$, and no-one wants it. With these players on the wage bill our hands are tied, unless we start leaking money in an attempt to go up

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SIGURDARSON seems to be a bargain to me.Could have spent 5 to 6 ,000,000 and ended up with worse.

W

wolfyjoe

I don't think it will be as much as 18m that we recoup especially as I imagine some of the Fletch fee will not be up front.

The 3m Sigurdarson transfer was a relatively big signing for a Championship team to make and i can't imagine us spending a similar amount on another player. I think we'll have around another 5 million to spend on transfers and the outstanding unresolved loan signing of Peszko. This should be enough to bring in two or three more strong Championship quality players. We must remember we have a huge squad full of players who have played in the Premier League.

L

luckyjim

Morgan: "Can you fetch me the petty-cash tin Jez?"

Moxey: "I've sold it for scrap...."

:D

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves still have players to shift, wagewise, to make way for new players, so this may drag out for a while.

Theres always an excuse not to spend. Too big a squad, championship status, players wont come, bad economy, money needed for stand, Morgan ran over two black cats in a transfer window so decided that particular window was cursed blah blah blah.

P

puntswolf

We have players to shift because they are surplus to requirements.

We also dont want to have to pay wages of players who arent going to feature obviously as that would be just throwing money away.

But this wont stop us buying the correct players IF they are required. Stale might be happy with whats left, I dont think we are too far off

K

kaohsiungwolf

Theres always an excuse not to spend. Too big a squad, championship status, players wont come, bad economy, money needed for stand, Morgan ran over two black cats in a transfer window so decided that particular window was cursed blah blah blah.

Wolves have spent a total £40.5 million since 09/10 so I'm not quite sure where you come to that conclusion.

Maybe that tinfoil is getting a little tight round your head 'Realistic'?

Last edited by a moderator:

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I expect Wolves to spend the lot, but not necessarily straight away. Seem to remember Dave Jones spending 15 million or whatever it was (cue debate) to get promoted and then getting very little when we went up. It's a difficult thing to balance, but as Kaohsiung said, it needs to be spent wisely.

K

kaohsiungwolf

I expect Wolves to spend the lot, but not necessarily straight away. Seem to remember Dave Jones spending 15 million or whatever it was (cue debate) to get promoted and then getting very little when we went up. It's a difficult thing to balance, but as Kaohsiung said, it needs to be spent wisely.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/wolves-transfers.html

This tells you exactly what we've spent and made since 1992. (scroll down)

The finances from 2010/11 make interesting reading, lowest declared commercial revenue in the league - 2 million less than Albion who had less gate revenue, wages same % of revenue as the likes of Newcastle, gives you all the answers you need as to why Morgan built the new stand.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/club-finances/club-finances-201011.html

P

puntswolf

The finances from 2010/11 make interesting reading, lowest declared commercial revenue in the league - 2 million less than Albion who had less gate revenue, wages same % of revenue as the likes of Newcastle, gives you all the answers you need as to why Morgan built the new stand.

Yeah we need to increase our commercial revenue as we currently have nothing. We have to turn it down and send them to the international centre. Also by increasing capacity, we get more leeway on pricing strategy to try and find compromise between attendance and income.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have answered the question in the poll in how much is left.

Bit confused by the OP putting "How much of this would you expect SM will sanction for player arrivals??" in as well?

In terms of how much is left. Well if we sell Flecterh anyone can do the maths and it has to be over 15 million.

In terms of how Morgan to spend on players, I cant expect more than 5 million this season together unfortunately.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was Morgan, I'd give him £3-4 million now and the same in January (providing we're in with at least a shout of the top positions)

Obviously some of the money has to be used to meet the cost of relegation but, equally, we simply must sort out the defence

P

puntswolf

I dont think there is any need to spend it all, we dont need to. There are plenty of PL teams who wont spend 15m this window.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves have spent a total £40.5 million since 09/10 so I'm not quite sure where you come to that conclusion.

Maybe that tinfoil is getting a little tight round your head 'Realistic'?

Where do you get 40.5 million from
? The same website that says we bought Roger Johnson for 8 million when he cost in reality half of that.

T

Toupee4Rae

We shouldnt need to spend that much to get promoted if we do there is something wrong. We will need the money when we are promoted to bring in 2-3 top class players.

K

kaohsiungwolf

Where do you get 40.5 million from
? The same website that says we bought Roger Johnson for 8 million when he cost in reality half of that.

I used a calculator.

Well to start with, it clearly says he cost 7 million, not 8 - Your myopia aside, the more reliable press reported it as just less than Fletcher. Do any of their other fees look wrong to you?

Either way, we're splitting hairs, the crux is that in black and white, all the bile you've been spewing about Morgan and how he's not running the club with the clubs best interests at heart, wasting money on the stand, not spending money on the first team, tipping the club into the abyss and creaming the profits etc. are complete and utter garbage.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't forget to take Moxey's £1million bonus out of the warchest calculations

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I used a calculator.

Well to start with, it clearly says he cost 7 million, not 8 - Your myopia aside, the more reliable press reported it as just less than Fletcher. Do any of their other fees look wrong to you?

Either way, we're splitting hairs, the crux is that in black and white, all the bile you've been spewing about Morgan and how he's not running the club with the clubs best interests at heart, wasting money on the stand, not spending money on the first team, tipping the club into the abyss and creaming the profits etc. are complete and utter garbage.

In your opinion typing away in Taiwan.. not mine.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used a calculator.

Nicely put. I too am sick of those who complain about Morgan spending on the stand and not the team. He has and needs to spend on both, otherwise we either end up with a brief burst of success followed by financial meltdown, or no success and an empty ground. Whether he got the balance right is a fair question, but if it were easy, the PL would be a league of Man Utd's. The same moaners complain about Compton and that it was just so he could make money off the houses, but in the end, we get a first class training facility and the accreditation to sign the best youngsters from anywhere. Again, he is investing in the long term for the benefit of the club we love. Morgan has and will make mistakes, but I don't agree that he's only running Wolves to make money for himself. If that were the case, there are many, many better ways to make money, as he has already proven in his business interests.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
55 luxury homes x £150,000 profit per home = £8.25m profit - £1m bonus for Moxey - £6m dividends + approx £10m transfer funds generated - loan payments + new stand = we have to sell Jarvis to generate any further war chest

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are very few easier ways to make money than 180 million sky money from 3 prem seasons.

I agree. Shame they make the cheques payable to Wolverhampton Wandered F.C. And not Steve Morgan, otherwise this suggestion may actually carry some weight.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree. Shame they make the cheques payable to Wolverhampton Wandered F.C. And not Steve Morgan, otherwise this suggestion may actually carry some weight.

Yeah when cheques are made to a company I own I never see a penny

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are very few easier ways to make money than 180 million sky money from 3 prem seasons.

Try telling that to the Portsmouth fans watching their club die a slow lingering death, Villa who faced oblivion if they had gone down, or almost every club in the PL who make large losses every year. If Man City or Chelsea's very wealthy owners get bored or fall out of favour back in their respective homes, their clubs will disappear without a trace in a season or less - PL and Champions League success will mean nothing to the creditors. I remember the Bhatti's and what it was like to almost lose my club and stand on the South Bank looking at 2 empty stands that had been condemned by building inspectors.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah when cheques are made to a company I own I never see a penny

Right. So basically, you're accusing Morgan of embezzlement?

Anyone who thinks any chairman makes money out of a football club is deluded.

S

SimplyTheWolves

I wonder whether not selling our shirts and maybe other merchandise (I'm not sure) only in Wolverhampton\Dudley has anything to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom