Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Morgan is worth £410 million........

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
According to the Sunday Times rich list out today. Ranked 216th wealthiest individual in the UK.

According to the blurb his wealth has increased by 10 million during the past year. He has a residual stake of £120 milliion in Redrow of which he is chairman. He also had a £100. million holding in the De Vere leisure group.

'He paid Sir Jack Hayward [qv] £10 pound to take over at Molineux in 2007, promising to invest £30 million in the club'

For anyone that's interested:D

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funnily enough I was reading about Ashley, the Toon owner recently who I think is worth quite a bit more than SM but he has put a considerable amount of his own cash into the club and this can be seen when you see the quality of players they have and where they stand in the league. I don't understand football finances and I'm not clear what the deal SM did with SJH to buy Wolves but I bet SM has put little or nothing of his own fortune into the team. Imo he's made a massive mistake re-building the NB and it just seems to me he wants to do everything on the playing side on the cheap. The club use the word 'loyalty' but keeping players who from day 1 were clearly not Prem quality has directly led to our relegation. Ashley is a Toon fan, as is Whelan at Wigan and Roman at Chelsea - they are prepared to dig deep to try to get success. I'm not convinced SM will sink any of his money to improve the Wolves team and my worry is that we will try to achieve promotion with the bulk of the 09 team which I don't think will work. If he is committed to the club, and seeing how much wealth he has, he needs to show us this summer that his actions speak louder than words.

J

johnybig32

is 410m really that much in todays society of football clubs?

D

Dewsburywolf

Agree about Ashley & Whelan NNW but did Abromovich even know who Chelsea were before he bought out Bates' stake in the club?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree about Ashley & Whelan NNW but did Abromovich even know who Chelsea were before he bought out Bates' stake in the club?
I'm sure you're right Dews. The thing is he came here, bought Chelsea and has dug very deep ever since. He had no link to/passion for any other UK side whereas SM........................?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I know I may be in a minority here but I would personally much rather the Club be relatively self-sufficient than over-reliant on the personal wealth and contribution of one individual.

Having said that, Sir Jack was truly wonderful for us and I would, in an ideal world, love us to be owned by someone with his passion for and connection to the Club. In reality, however, I actually think that despite this season's mistakes, we are very fortunate in terms of the current ownership.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Morgan is rich but not stupid....we're talking about a 'great competition' and 'the best league in the world' here.

You need oodles of the stuff, but more than that, you need someone who knows what they are doing and can spend it wisely - if you dare to trust them!;)

W

wolfyjoe

I know I may be in a minority here but I would personally much rather the Club be relatively self-sufficient than over-reliant on the personal wealth and contribution of one individual.

Having said that, Sir Jack was truly wonderful for us and I would, in an ideal world, love us to be owned by someone with his passion for and connection to the Club. In reality, however, I actually think that despite this season's mistakes, we are very fortunate in terms of the current ownership.

Seconded.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree entirely, and I'd like to think that you're not in the minority!

A

Apocalypse Now

I think it is clear that money will only be invested from surpluses generated from the club - Morgan will not use his own wealth for a club he has no real affection for - he bought the club for £10. I don't have any issue with that, the issue I have with how WWFC is run st present is the poor strategic direction and poor decision making by the leadership team- the vanity project and the delay in sacking Mick the two most obvious. I think we need to come to terms with the fact that given financial constraints the club will never be in a position to challenge for the top six - despite all the nonsense we hear from Moxey. We are likely to be only in the premier to make up the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes. Well said Tring. I would even go as far as saying this should be made as a banner outside of Molineux for all the uneducated, naive numpties to read.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
i know i may be in a minority here but i would personally much rather the club be relatively self-sufficient than over-reliant on the personal wealth and contribution of one individual.

Having said that, sir jack was truly wonderful for us and i would, in an ideal world, love us to be owned by someone with his passion for and connection to the club. In reality, however, i actually think that despite this season's mistakes, we are very fortunate in terms of the current ownership.

+1

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funnily enough I was reading about Ashley, the Toon owner recently who I think is worth quite a bit more than SM but he has put a considerable amount of his own cash into the club and this can be seen when you see the quality of players they have and where they stand in the league. I don't understand football finances and I'm not clear what the deal SM did with SJH to buy Wolves but I bet SM has put little or nothing of his own fortune into the team. Imo he's made a massive mistake re-building the NB and it just seems to me he wants to do everything on the playing side on the cheap. The club use the word 'loyalty' but keeping players who from day 1 were clearly not Prem quality has directly led to our relegation. Ashley is a Toon fan, as is Whelan at Wigan and Roman at Chelsea - they are prepared to dig deep to try to get success. I'm not convinced SM will sink any of his money to improve the Wolves team and my worry is that we will try to achieve promotion with the bulk of the 09 team which I don't think will work. If he is committed to the club, and seeing how much wealth he has, he needs to show us this summer that his actions speak louder than words.

All the recent transfer activity has been funded by sales, predominantly Carroll.

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do love the 'he bought the club for £10 and has invested nothing' brigade. And +1 to what Tring said, the less the club relies on loans etc the better, though with a £20m or so deficit next season it may be necessary.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ashley has been absolutely villified up until the beginning of this season. He was public enemy number one in Newcastle until Pardew's players distinguished themselves this season, accused of syphoning the funds out of the club.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Ashley has been absolutely villified up until the beginning of this season. He was public enemy number one in Newcastle until Pardew's players distinguished themselves this season, accused of syphoning the funds out of the club.

:dong:.....He's probably has through beer!

Fans - never satisfied, love to believe in a conspiracy!....

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed. I'm glad we don't have a thieving charlatan for an owner

J

Jarvo for England

Thought he often stood with the Toon fans on the terraces? Sure he's Toon through and through?

I might be wrong but he's a ****ney ad i'm sure when he first took over and sat with the fans the comment was made then. I'll look it up

J

Jarvo for England

I stand corrected, it looks like it was bul**** made up by SSN

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Another one who shares your view. Morgan has deep enough pockets that should investment in the club be required to achieve his goals, he has the funds to do it. Difference is that he will be hard headed about how much, and what for. For the long term health of the club we love, I think this is no bad thing.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ashley has pumped in 273 million from his own pocket, about 25% of his wealth up to last year.
You can't blame him for being annoyed at the fans, who just wanted a constantly running tap and didn't care at all about the need to earn money as a business prior to the new financial rules.
He just won't be able to fund after next season so it's essential they're in a healthy position without his direct help......ie...siphon them money through sponsorship to the Sports Direct Arena, rather than St James's Park.

Saying that, his personal wealth grew by 500million last season...an awful lot more than Morgan.
I guess Morgan's money will jump enormously when building picks up, he's positioned his company very well and they're sitting on a huge land bank ready to go.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Well said Tring. I would even go as far as saying this should be made as a banner outside of Molineux for all the uneducated, naive numpties to read.

Lets wait and see how well Morgan does this summer before giving him too much praise eh?!
He has made some bad errors this season and needs to stamp his authority on the club this summer and get the right manager and coaches into the club. You cannot blame fans for being very $$$$ed off with our owner at the present time.

H

hindheadwolves

i know i may be in a minority here but i would personally much rather the club be relatively self-sufficient than over-reliant on the personal wealth and contribution of one individual.

Having said that, sir jack was truly wonderful for us and i would, in an ideal world, love us to be owned by someone with his passion for and connection to the club. In reality, however, i actually think that despite this season's mistakes, we are very fortunate in terms of the current ownership.

+1

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ashley has pumped in 273 million from his own pocket, about 25% of his wealth up to last year.
You can't blame him for being annoyed at the fans, who just wanted a constantly running tap and didn't care at all about the need to earn money as a business prior to the new financial rules.
He just won't be able to fund after next season so it's essential they're in a healthy position without his direct help......ie...siphon them money through sponsorship to the Sports Direct Arena, rather than St James's Park.

Saying that, his personal wealth grew by 500million last season...an awful lot more than Morgan.
I guess Morgan's money will jump enormously when building picks up, he's positioned his company very well and they're sitting on a huge land bank ready to go.

According to the Sunday Times Rich list. Mike Ashley is the 36th wealthiest person in the UK. with a fortune of £1,750 million. His wealth increased this year by £482 million. He has 'lent' the Magpies £140 million.

This fortune rather puts Steve Morgan's wealth into a bit more perspective.

Purple Ronnie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Morgan is worth less than half of what has been invested in man city over the last 4 years.

His wealth is small change compared to many on the list

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another one who shares your view. Morgan has deep enough pockets that should investment in the club be required to achieve his goals, he has the funds to do it. Difference is that he will be hard headed about how much, and what for. For the long term health of the club we love, I think this is no bad thing.
If his pockets are deep and filled with cash why did he not dip into some of these funds, either last summer when many on here agreed that we were only perhaps 2-3 payers short of a mid-table side (I still believe that by the way) or in Jan when he put all his faith in 2 North London reserves? He's hard headed all right - so much so that we're now a 2nd division club?

FinnishWolf

Reaction score
If his pockets are deep and filled with cash why did he not dip into some of these funds, either last summer when many on here agreed that we were only perhaps 2-3 payers short of a mid-table side (I still believe that by the way) or in Jan when he put all his faith in 2 North London reserves? He's hard headed all right - so much so that we're now a 2nd division club?

Because he doesn't want to do a QPR, spend a fortune and still get relegated.

You can't guarantee success with money. You can easily destroy a club by spending more than you can afford, however. Just ask Pompey.

L

liquidatorwolf

Would you have trusted Mick with that amount of money, especially with the failings of our scouting network and the type of players Mick likes to target?

Maybe Morgan had these issues and Mick's reign was hanging by a thread for a while.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you have trusted Mick with that amount of money, especially with the failings of our scouting network and the type of players Mick likes to target?

Maybe Morgan had these issues and Mick's reign was hanging by a thread for a while.

If this is true, that is far worse than anything else he has or has been accused of doing.

If you don't trust/don't think he's up to the job then why keep him at all.

Also if it had been hanging by a thread why the $$$$ didn't he do it in the summer or Novemer time or even the start of Jan. I don't think MM should have been sacked at all but you could see why some people wanted him gone at all of the stages I've mentioned but to sack him when he did was suicidal as has proved to be the case...

Morgan has failed many times to show he can lead this club, cancelling the stadium development the biggest failure in my opinion, effectively showing the whole world he'd thrown in the towel, which was confirmed by TCs appointment...

Us fans have the right to ask question of him, a leader shows their true colours when the going gets tough and at the first sight of trouble he panicked and has cost our club dearly. He has a chance to make amends for his mistakes this summer and it will/should cost him personally. He knows the financial burdens of owning a football club so he has to dip his hand in his pocket and ensure we get the manager we need and keep hold of our best players.

We all fork out a decent chunk of our wealth to support Wolves, why shouldnt he?

D

Deleted member 4023

Sir Alan Sugar wouldn't have $$$$ed about if he had concerns over someone in his company

K

Knightly

I might be wrong but he's a ****ney ad i'm sure when he first took over and sat with the fans the comment was made then. I'll look it up

Born in Walsall amd raised in Woking, Surrey, so in no sense a ****ney. He got conned whdn he bought Newcastle and had to put millions in to to stop them going belly up. He, is and will be only seeking to recoup that money.

N

N. Herts Wolf

The words on the lips of every gambler!

No

That's a very prudent gambler who only 'speculates' 5% of his capital. Sounds almost like a sensible, if somewhat conservative, business model.

A useful contribution, well done.

E

Essex Wolf

Bottom line here is that Morgan could and should have done more than what he has this season.

The rebuilding of the NB was a massive mistake and totally pointless at this moment in time.

Those who seem to glorify the man as a good owner obviously don't mind being relegated and facing the prospect of many more years playing outside the PL.

I don't advocate millions being blown and I accept that other club owners may be much wealthier but many of the clubs that have retained their PL status are similar to Wolves in terms of size etc. Morgan just messed up and has now become Mr Silent.

I don't care who owns the club as long as they have its best interests at heart and have a plan that includes ambition, growth and gradual improvement. Morgan has failed on all three fronts.

Unless he shows signs of wanting to see things improve then I hope he goes.

Back
Top Bottom