Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Davis

Does Steve Davis deserve a chance until the World Cup?

• Total voters

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay. I don't.
I want what is best for the team. Apparently you guys know that better than everyone else. If Davies and this squad actually does well, which isn't completely unreasonable to believe considering the amount of talent we have here, it is by luck then in your book?
Luck on Davis’ part? No.

Lucky for Shi that the caretaker manager has dug the team out of the mire? Of course it is.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Putin doesn't set his sights on us as I won't feel confident going into battle with you as the General.
Putin is a clever man. Very cruel and horrible one too. This silly war was years in the makings but let’s stick to football. Unfortunately we don’t score and we can’t defend well.

I just hope we can get results but look at Leicester they will do us, and we have to be honest with ourselves they the players either want to fight for the points or to look for their next move. Either way the fans like us will still enjoy the pain. Mr Davis bodies need to be on the line here. Live and die for the 3pts Warnock would say. Let’s show some fight

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want what is best for the team. Apparently you guys know that better than everyone else. If Davies and this squad actually does well, which isn't completely unreasonable to believe considering the amount of talent we have here, it is by luck then in your book?
This isn't about Davis being able to get a few wins out of the team. He probably will. He's not a bad manager at all.

But he's not a PL manager or even a Championship manager. Otherwise he wouldn't coach our U18 team and his only job as a manager wouldn't been at Crewe.

Us winning a few games doesn't change that.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay. I don't.

As far as Shi and Sellars are concerned, yes.

Let me back up my assertion. They didn’t sack Lage to have Steve in charge until January. They thought Lopetegui would be appointed within 2 weeks. We know that because they leaked it to their trusted journalists. When that failed, they carried out an extensive search, selected Beale, and he also said no. Again we know that because they leaked it to their trusted journalists.

So we can and should wish Steve, the team and the backroom staff well. But if they are successful then it will not be by good planning by Shi or Sellars, at least as far as the coach goes.

I have long supported Shi, but I have been calling for a proper DoF since the very early days. Even when we had a truly professional looking leadership team and Nuno was in his prime, I still called for one, because it was the missing piece. Instead Shi spent time looking at Spurs, and he decided to model himself on Levy. And guess what, even Levy has now accepted he needed a DoF. Now we see the gradual unraveling of Shi’a leadership of Wolves, and it’s gotten so bad, that it’s hard to tell the difference between now and the season we sacked Mick.

Shi needs to either appoint a DoF and step aside from football matters, or if he won’t, he needs to go. Either way, it needs to happen before we choose a new coach and his backroom team.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn't about Davis being able to get a few wins out of the team. He probably will. He's not a bad manager at all.

But he's not a PL manager or even a Championship manager. Otherwise he wouldn't coach our U18 team and his only job as a manager wouldn't been at Crewe.

Us winning a few games doesn't change that.
Oh great, football is no longer judged on results anymore.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as Shi and Sellars are concerned, yes.

Let me back up my assertion. They didn’t sack Lage to have Steve in charge until January. They thought Lopetegui would be appointed within 2 weeks. We know that because they leaked it to their trusted journalists. When that failed, they carried out an extensive search, selected Beale, and he also said no. Again we know that because they leaked it to their trusted journalists.

So we can and should wish Steve, the team and the backroom staff well. But if they are successful then it will not be by good planning by Shi or Sellars, at least as far as the coach goes.

I have long supported Shi, but I have been calling for a proper DoF since the very early days. Even when we had a truly professional looking leadership team and Nuno was in his prime, I still called for one, because it was the missing piece. Instead Shi spent time looking at Spurs, and he decided to model himself on Levy. And guess what, even Levy has now accepted he needed a DoF. Now we see the gradual unraveling of Shi’a leadership of Wolves, and it’s gotten so bad, that it’s hard to tell the difference between now and the season we sacked Mick.

Shi needs to either appoint a DoF and step aside from football matters, or if he won’t, he needs to go. Either way, it needs to happen before we choose a new coach and his backroom team.
They sacked Lage because he had become the worst possible person for the job, was alienating many of our own players, playing players injured, not developing youth and most importantly not looking like scoring any goals.
I honestly feel like we have a better chance of winning games now he has gone.

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
They sacked Lage because he had become the worst possible person for the job, was alienating many of our own players, playing players injured, not developing youth and most importantly not looking like scoring any goals.
Absolutely, Lage’s departure was long overdue as well know. It sounds silly but seeing smiles on the players faces is a vast improvement already.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh great, football is no longer judged on results anymore.
Of course it is. But building teams creates results too.
Lots of points were gained through the structure Nuno had put in place where everybody knew their roles and there was a clear plan.
That sort of thing takes time and is strengthened over time and games.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting it says until the new year. I'd prefer a new manager in by late November/early December to work with the squad over that period, would be a massive mistake to leave until the new year.

It will be Julen loppetegui ( eventually)

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Jeff has said until 2023 but you would like to think that it'll be during the world cup. It's the ideal time (another than 2 weeks ago or the end of last season)

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
No one is a premier league manager until they are given the opportunity

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, Steve Davis is in temporary charge and I will support him and James Collins 100%.

Just wondering about his backroom staff. Tony Robert’s will be staying and I’m ok with that, but what about the analysts and the other technical people that all clubs seem to have?

All our backroom staff (with the exception of Robert’s) went with Lage, so will there be anyone to fill the roles of his brother and the other technical staff?

With Davis and Collins in temporary charge, I can’t imagine appointing someone temporary in the technical positions. They need to be appointed though imo.

Anyone with qualifications amongst the Mixers?

Reactions: Ned

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
No one is a premier league manager until they are given the opportunity
This is true, but no one with this record (below) is given the opportunity to manage at a Premier League club. Don't get me wrong, I will totally support him, but there's nothing in his managerial career to suggest he has what it takes. Wish I actually hadn't read this! Good luck though Steve.

Screenshot_20221020-214727.png

The 2014–15 season was no better in terms of Crewe's performance. The team lost 10 of their first 12 matches, and eventually finished in 20th position - remaining in League One despite losing the final match of the season, against Bradford City, because of results in fixtures elsewhere.

The following season started in a similar pattern, with the team winning just two of their first 15 league matches, and crashing out of the FA Cup in the first round, defeated at Gresty Road by non-league Eastleigh, forcing Davis to defend his position as the 'right man' for the job. Crewe's relegation to League Two was confirmed following a 3–0 defeat at Port Vale on 9 April 2016, with five matches remaining.

Davis was sacked as Crewe Alexandra manager on 8 January 2017, at which date he was the fourth longest serving manager in the top four divisions of English football.

Leyton Orient
On 10 July 2017, Davis was appointed as head coach of newly relegated National League club Leyton Orient on a two-year contract. After the club won just five of their 19 league matches, he was sacked on 14 November 2017.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
This is true, but no one with this record (below) is given the opportunity to manage at a Premier League club. Don't get me wrong, I will totally support him, but there's nothing in his managerial career to suggest he has what it takes. Wish I actually hadn't read this! Good luck though Steve.

View attachment 30957

The 2014–15 season was no better in terms of Crewe's performance. The team lost 10 of their first 12 matches, and eventually finished in 20th position - remaining in League One despite losing the final match of the season, against Bradford City, because of results in fixtures elsewhere.

The following season started in a similar pattern, with the team winning just two of their first 15 league matches, and crashing out of the FA Cup in the first round, defeated at Gresty Road by non-league Eastleigh, forcing Davis to defend his position as the 'right man' for the job. Crewe's relegation to League Two was confirmed following a 3–0 defeat at Port Vale on 9 April 2016, with five matches remaining.

Davis was sacked as Crewe Alexandra manager on 8 January 2017, at which date he was the fourth longest serving manager in the top four divisions of English football.

Leyton Orient
On 10 July 2017, Davis was appointed as head coach of newly relegated National League club Leyton Orient on a two-year contract. After the club won just five of their 19 league matches, he was sacked on 14 November 2017.
Yes I get that and he was u18 coach for a reason but hes got a chance now to be a premier league coach.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well whether he “ deserves” it or not it looks like he has been given the “chance” until the end of the year. We can only wish him well with it. Quite to what extent it really is a “ chance” though is another matter. How well would he have to do to actually get the job permanently? Either this is a calculated risk on Shi’s part now with Davis based on the vain hope that JL will duly take over or perhaps it is more of a capitulation and acceptance of relegation? ( and project take 2 thereafter -perhaps again with their beloved Lopetegui?) All in all though it has been an utter embarrassment and humiliation for the club from the moment Bruno was sacked. Why did they have to approach it like we were some huge club that anyone would give their eye- teeth to manage? What was wrong with inviting applications from interested parties and taking it from there? No -we have to go coveting other club’s managers and make fools of ourselves when they tell us to F off! Definitely shades of the post MacCarthy catastrophe all over again.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No we won’t. We support Steve and the team, we want the best for them, but we want Shi and Sellars gone, and a proper experienced DoF put in place to sort this shambles out. Anyone defending Shi needs to look at themselves in my opinion.

Well said mate. Fully agree.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The clowns that have given you more success in recent times than we enjoyed in decades previous, and the clowns that brought us Ruben Neves.
Perhaps we should keep our rants in context.

Mendes got us Neves, Mendes got us Nuno. I maintain that Sellars and Shi are clowns.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus wept! The wrist slashing on here is astounding. We’re still only three points from mid-table. We’re playing ****, whereas all the other teams that are supposedly playing well, are still only a win ahead of us.
I really hope you’re right.. we’ve been playing ****e since April though, so I’ve started to believe we might actually just be ****e.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay. I don't.

I think we all want is best for our team but it doesnt mean we dont have to be furious with Shi and Sellars about what is going on.

Put it this way it will be great for us and Shi if Davis wins the next 3 games, which I think is highly unlikely but lets not think this would be any sort of masterstroke by him or Sellars. Do you honestly think any other Premier League Club would have appointed Steve Davis? He will get our support but his last senior job he was sacked by a third division club!

I am actually staggered that a few seem to be defending Shi and Sellars. The list of stupid decisions over the last 12-18 months is endless. Each to their own and their opinions but what have they got right recently?

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The situation isn't going to be any different by the world Cup, nor by the new year. If anything, we'll most likely be in an even worse position and rock bottom of the table and then how is Jeff able to bring in the man he wants? It's clear as day that no one decent wants it. We'll have one foot in the championship by 2023, an utterly baffling, nonsensical, farcical situation!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You think mendes would have anything to do with us without shi and fosun.

Not without Fosun. You were critical of Shi earlier. What's changed? Do you think he and Sellars are doing a good enough or acceptable job? Our success over the last few years will count for nothing if we get relegated this season due to ridiculous decisions on and off the pitch for the last 18 months.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Massive mistake he wasnt sacked at the end of last season. That is on Shi.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Not without Fosun. You were critical of Shi earlier. What's changed? Do you think he and Sellars are doing a good enough or acceptable job? Our success over the last few years will count for nothing if we get relegated this season due to ridiculous decisions on and off the pitch for the last 18 months.
Yes I’m critical but they are responsible for getting us into the premier league and for the best years of supporting wolves in my lifetime. they make mistakes yes but also credit for getting us here in the first place. We wouldn’t have had Nuno without them

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I get that and he was u18 coach for a reason but hes got a chance now to be a premier league coach.

I admire your optimism SuperGran but if Davis makes it as a Premier League Coach I am batman. There is no evidence whatsoever to say he should be a head coach at this level. Its not like he is an upcoming young coach either. A nice bloke who will get our support at games but lets not kid ourselves he is a Premier League standard head coach.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I’m critical but they are responsible for getting us into the premier league and for the best years of supporting wolves in my lifetime. they make mistakes yes but also credit for getting us here in the first place. We wouldn’t have had Nuno without them

Sorry to say I have lost all faith in Shi and Sellars and will do in Fosun unless they act to replace them. Thats how I honestly feel tonight. Some wont like it but there it is.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Sorry to say I have lost all faith in Shi and Sellars and will do in Fosun unless they act to replace them. Thats how I honestly feel tonight. Some wont like it but there it is.
Fair enough

Back
Top Bottom