Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Bruce to Hull

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Press conference called at 3pm to confirm Bruce as Hull's new Manager.

In a tip of the cap to the previous thread, I'm 100% in the know on this one... :)

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Round...... 2.....

DING !!!!!

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
My sources are credible.

I didn't read any reference to Hull on Twitter but I did once see Rod Hull at the Tring Donkey Derby...

J

johnybig32

see!

You really need to lighten up, or put a smiley on your posts. Will make you feel better.

And no, I dont want to PM you ;)

W

WasStefan

My sources are credible.

I didn't read any reference to Hull on Twitter but I did once see Rod Hull at the Tring Donkey Derby...

Tbh mate I never claimed to be ITK, if I did please quote me. I had a gut feeling he'd get it, two weeks later, he gets the job. And yes I wish I'd have put money it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
J

johnybig32

Job opps running out for MM. Clarke favourite for Brum job. Although I think he would be perfect for the situation Brum find themselves in??

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Tbh mate I never claimed to be ITK, if I did please quote me. I had a gut feeling he'd get it, two weeks later, he gets the job. And yes I wish I'd have put money it! :D

No worries mate. Like you say, just a bit of banter from the previous thread. Good on you for getting it right regardless of sources or gut feel.

On a serious note, whilst I'm pleased we finally appointed Solbakken, I still maintain we should have appointed Bruce on a short-term contract to see if he could have kept us up (my gut feel is he wouldn't but we should have at least given it a shot).

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Exciting news on Sigurdarson,

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had enough of this. Ashley - and Stefan - all this ends now, either on the forum or via PM. Any more and I take further action.

W

WasStefan

I've had enough of this. Ashley - and Stefan - all this ends now, either on the forum or via PM. Any more and I take further action.

I haven't said anything that would insult him??

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruce to Hull?! Just shows how the mighty are falling. This is the age of the young, dynamic manager. Really not too sure where MM will end up now?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bet Bruce is gutted he never got our job.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Rumour has it that Bruce is after Heskey, and he's only been there five minutes.

P

PeteWolf

Will be interesting to see how he does. I said it when we were in the hunt for a manager, too many people are quick to write him off without stopping to look at his track record and accept that he's done well at a number of unfashionable clubs now, without a great deal of money until this last year at Sunderland when he had both of his first choice strikers taken off him.

01/02 - Birmingham - 5th in Championship - promoted
02/03 - Birmingham - 13th
03/04 - Birmingham - 10th
04/05 - Birmingham - 12th
05/06 - Birmingham - 18th
06/07 - Birmingham - 2nd in Championship - promoted
07/08 - Wigan - 14th
08/09 - Wigan - 11th
09/10 - Sunderland - 13th
10/11 - Sunderland - 10th

I don't think anyone on here would be unhappy if that had been our record over that time. All this new young managers thing is ridiculously overstated based on (to date) one-off mid-table finishes.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MM looked knackered at the end last season maybe he has his eyes set on another international job.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how he does. I said it when we were in the hunt for a manager, too many people are quick to write him off without stopping to look at his track record and accept that he's done well at a number of unfashionable clubs now, without a great deal of money until this last year at Sunderland when he had both of his first choice strikers taken off him.

01/02 - Birmingham - 5th in Championship - promoted
02/03 - Birmingham - 13th
03/04 - Birmingham - 10th
04/05 - Birmingham - 12th
05/06 - Birmingham - 18th
06/07 - Birmingham - 2nd in Championship - promoted
07/08 - Wigan - 14th
08/09 - Wigan - 11th
09/10 - Sunderland - 13th
10/11 - Sunderland - 10th

I don't think anyone on here would be unhappy if that had been our record over that time. All this new young managers thing is ridiculously overstated based on (to date) one-off mid-table finishes.
It's not overstated as you say - it's reality - Rodgers, Lambert, Clarke, Mcdermott, Adkins, Poyet, Hughton. The days of the likes of Bruce, MM, Reid, Megson are well and truly over imo.

P

PeteWolf

It's not overstated as you say - it's reality - Rodgers, Lambert, Clarke, Mcdermott, Adkins, Poyet, Hughton. The days of the likes of Bruce, MM, Reid, Megson are well and truly over imo.
We shall see. Not one of those has finished in the top half or even completed two seasons in the top flight as manager (the last five haven't even completed one season).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We shall see. Not one of those has finished in the top half or even completed two seasons in the top flight as manager (the last five haven't even completed one season).
This isn't black or white, right or wrong. This past season has seen an increase in young successful managers in the Prem and Championship which has at the same time seen the decline of managers like SB and MM. There seems to be a sea-change in football presently which is promoting the claims of the new (and often un-proven) manager over the older, certainly more experienced guy. This is the natural order of things and is healthy and stimulates interest in the game. I'm sure the vast majority on here is more excited about the coming season under SS rather than say SB?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn't black or white, right or wrong. This past season has seen an increase in young successful managers in the Prem and Championship which has at the same time seen the decline of managers like SB and MM. There seems to be a sea-change in football presently which is promoting the claims of the new (and often un-proven) manager over the older, certainly more experienced guy. This is the natural order of things and is healthy and stimulates interest in the game. I'm sure the vast majority on here is more excited about the coming season under SS rather than say SB?

That's a very valid point, especially the last statement.

I hope you're right now that we have one of young up-and-comers!

I just think people attach too much importance to fleeting success when it's achieved by a young manager, and too much importance to fleeting failure when it's achieved by a more experienced manager.

Like you say though, it's not black and white - hopefully our young Norwegian upstart will help us take the league by storm.

P

PeteWolf

You really do listen to the press far too much if you believe that. For a start, young up and coming manager Chris Hughton is older than all of Bruce, McCarthy and Megson, whilst that upstart McDermott is only a few months younger than decrepit old man Bruce.

As for individually, looking at Rodgers, his track record at Reading and Watford is poor to average at best, and by his own admission he inherited a good system at Swansea. Not to discredit him for what he did last year, but lets be realistic, it was one season of finishing in the lower half of the table. To make such a judgement is jumping the gun beyond belief.

Likewise with Lambert, who in fairness at least has a slightly better track record with what he's done at Norwich, but again, one lower half finish means nothing in this league. I didn't think they looked particularly impressive either at Molineux or Carrow Rd, and with Grant Holt figured out I think they would have struggled next year with or without him. Credit to him for jumping at the right time.

As for the others, it's ridiculous to big them up over experienced managers like Steve Bruce who has been there and done it when they're only in the Championship. Adkins may have done well at Southampton, but he has the budget, and Hughton, for as much credit as he deserves for doing what he has with Newcastle and Blues has been shown up by Alan Pardew for taking the same squad on to do much better. Poyet was nearly sacked earlier in the season, whilst the only one who it's difficult not to find holes in their record is McDermott, but who again hasn't been proven at the top level.

For all those names, not so long ago you could have added the likes of Sean O'Driscoll, Simon Grayson, Billy Davies, AVB, etc. as those who got good press as 'up and coming'.

P

Penk Wolf

Can someone change the title - I keep reading it as Steve Bull to Hull.

B

Bankswolf II

I didn't want him at my club not because I think he's a terrible manager but because I wanted curbs

The myth he is an awful manager confuses me apart from one season with Sunderland where his main striker went off to china or wherever it was he has a good track record I can imagine for Hull this is a big deal and I want him to do well because when he was out of a job he seemed very keen to get back into it which I imagine this appointment is the result of

I am kind of bored of the whole young manager thing now what the likes of Rogers and lambert did is no different to what Bruce did with the blues when he was promoted with them some teams have a season where they scrap and then fade away we sadly won't see swansea and Norwich do this as their managers probably recognised this and jumped ship before they had a red mark on their CV

Back
Top Bottom