Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sterling ...

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Potentially controversial topic with the recent racist abuse he's received etc which I think has been done to death on here and everyone agree's is disgusting but I'm more interested about the way he's treated by fans in the criticism he get's for his performances especially for England often sited as overly-harsh...

Does anyone else think he almost brings this on himself, hear me out ...

Last night, for me, he conned the ref with his dive to win the penalty. He's got a lot of previous for this kind of behavior. I also noticed he was the first over to the ref seemingly attempting to get Boly sent off. Although we don't know what he actually said I think we can all agree he probably wasn't standing up in Boly's defence.

If players act like this in the club game and **** off a vast majority of the countries fans with this kind of behavior which I see as cheating, at best its acting like a nob, can he really be so surprised when people don't take to him when he's in an England shirt or don't particularly like him? (leaving all the media stuff aside).

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No different to many other footballers. Probably doesn’t help that he is young, black and successful, oh, and earning a fortune.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The nonsense tabloid papers write (and the Numpties that believe it)about him doesn’t help either.

T

themanwhobuiltthemoon

...the criticism he get's for his performances especially for England often sited as overly-harsh...

The strange one about this was that at the World Cup he was actually contributing a lot to the team but a lot of fans judged him on some chances he missed rather than his overall performance.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The strange one about this was that at the World Cup he was actually contributing a lot to the team but a lot of fans judged him on some chances he missed rather than his overall performance.

This is kind of what I'm getting at mate, he's undoubtedly a very good player in a very good side which is even more frustrating as why does he have to try and seek extra advantages ... It's not like they were losing 1-0 with 2 minutes to go when he went down for the penalty, its obviously what he see's as the natural thing to do.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is kind of what I'm getting at mate, he's undoubtedly a very good player in a very good side which is even more frustrating as why does he have to try and seek extra advantages ... It's not like they were losing 1-0 with 2 minutes to go when he went down for the penalty, its obviously what he see's as the natural thing to do.
Nearly every footballer would do the same, where is the outrage then?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Harry Kane is the worst for diving and trying to get players sent off,with his hand over his ****in horse face,cant stand the diving *****,but this never gets bought up.

I agree Kane is much worse. Mind you, Salah has been on Tom Daley form recently.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utter pish: I'd expect any of our players to go down as he did, and the most blatant bit of exaggerating contact all night came from Jimenez, who went down like he'd been shot when he got a soft tap at the most.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like that he posted a shiny kitchen on Twitter

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Utter pish: I'd expect any of our players to go down as he did, and the most blatant bit of exaggerating contact all night came from Jimenez, who went down like he'd been shot when he got a soft tap at the most.

That's not what I'm saying though, I'm saying does he have a right to feel aggrieved when England fans don't take to him ...

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some people have a dislike for some footballers and celebrities for no apparent reason. For instance, my mom can't stand the David & Victoria Beckham. It doesn't stop her reading every article about them in the newpaper. I then as a result hear everything that they've done.

For some people Sterling is their person to dislike. For me it's Nick Clegg. I've never met the chap, he's never done me any harm personally, and I'm sure he's a nice chap. But when I see him on the telly I can't help thinking he needs a slap.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t link the racist insults referred to in the OP with his antics on the pitch, but I agree that what he did in both instances last night was unsporting and frankly shouldn’t have a place in modern football. It was so refreshing to have the ref book Kane in the Spurs game for diving. That’s what should have happened last night. On the Boly incident, he should have given Boly a yellow as Clattenburg said, and given any City players seeking a red instead, a yellow too. It’s the only way we will stamp out this behaviour in the game.

D

Deleted member 3573J

I've no problem with Sterling for going down, he's just one of hundreds of players who hit the deck at the slightest touch. Blame the managers who not only encourage players to go down but now coach them how to do it on the training ground. If Sterling stays on his feet and they don't get a penalty he'll probably get an ear bashing off Pep in the changing room.

Also watch out for the players who know how to ride a tackle, they'll happily position themselves in line with a challenge coming in then either jump or make sure their one foot that will take the challenge is dangling in the air. Technically a foul, but still a dive in my opinion.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabulous footballer, seems like a decent young chap off it.

But oooh he's got a tattoo of a gun and he spends his money on houses for his family so he's a sad indictment of the modern young footballer. Lest we not forget he also had the audacity to be the target of abuse at Chelsea by that poor old Chelsea fan whose life has now been ruined.

B

Benson

Strongly dislike Sterling. He is a cheat.
Penalty decision yesterday correct though.

Yes, a lot of the treatment he gets from other fans is all down to his own behaviour. There is a reason he is picked out and its not because he is black, looks like a school boy, is small and quick, misses chances for England.. he gets what he gets because he is a cheating *******. But last night he actually did not dive.. for once. But there is already 82 threads about that situation and we dont need to discuss it in here too.

D

Deleted member 4124

He could have stayed on his feet easily.
That’s not the same thing as diving. Why would he put any effort to stay on his feet and not win a penalty? Referees only give fouls when players go down. It’s their fault footballers go down when fouled. It would have been a foul even if he hadn’t gone down but the ref wouldn’t have given a penalty.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see your Sterling and raise it with a Deli Alli

Shocking diving

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

He dived.

I can understand why a penalty was given, because he plays for Manchester City, they are at home and they need to win, but he did dive after the slightest of TOUCHES not kicks.

It's fair to say that footballers HAVE to dive to win penalties, because they do and he's not the only one.

Equally so, that doesn't mean we can't criticise them.

He's a massive cheat, as Zaha was the other week at Molineux, as Vardy is, as Maddison is, as Kane is.

There's a difference between playing for fouls and outright diving. Those players mentioned are outright cheats, most players are 'clever' in how they win fouls.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fabulous footballer, seems like a decent young chap off it.

But oooh he's got a tattoo of a gun and he spends his money on houses for his family so he's a sad indictment of the modern young footballer. Lest we not forget he also had the audacity to be the target of abuse at Chelsea by that poor old Chelsea fan whose life has now been ruined.

Personally no issue with what he does off the pitch, think the media are ridiculous and boring with it. My issue is his behaviour on the pitch.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally no issue with what he does off the pitch, think the media are ridiculous and boring with it. My issue is his behaviour on the pitch.
He's no worse than a whole litany of footballers in the English game.

I actually think it was a penalty last night. He went down very naturally with the contact from Bennett.

iantendo

Reaction score
put it this way, if he played for us we'd all love him. If he won a penalty for us we'd love him. Even if it wasn't a penalty let's not forget that Boly scored with his hand in the home fixture - these things all balance themselves out.

The only thing I could really criticise him for is the way he behaved to get his transfer out of Liverpool but that's about it.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s not the same thing as diving. Why would he put any effort to stay on his feet and not win a penalty? Referees only give fouls when players go down. It’s their fault footballers go down when fouled. It would have been a foul even if he hadn’t gone down but the ref wouldn’t have given a penalty.

That's my point though. I don't think it was a foul. Sterling checked his stride so that his leg caught Bennett's, not the other way round...in my opinion.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sterling is quick and very talented. I firmly believe that the art of tricking a ref is being coached into players. Kane, Vardy etc all play for the foul, drag their leg, commando roll to get the officials to make a decision in real time. I really hope VAR wipes his out from the game. Probably won’t.

P

paddy

Fantastic player
Absolute **** diving so much
Melt when it comes to England
I’m sure I’d shine in that Citej team

D

Deleted member 3573J

That's my point though. I don't think it was a foul. Sterling checked his stride so that his leg caught Bennett's, not the other way round...in my opinion.

That's modern poncy football, you hear the pundits excuse the diving all the time with phrases such as 'he's entitled to go down if he gets a touch' or watching a replay 500 times in ultra slow motion and zoomed in to prove there was a brush against the foot. So not only do we have to live with players winning pens and free kicks when there was no contact whatsoever, but we also have to watch players hitting the deck after their leg was brushed then listen to the pundits announce it was a clear pen. It's no longer a contact sport, in 20 years it'll be tippy tappy hell to watch, don't dare play a long ball otherwise you were mates with a tyrannosaurus rex with players diving out the way of each other like some crapper version of dodgeball.

Back
Top Bottom