Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stale's health squad?

E

Essex Wolf

23 to 24 players

23-24 good players would be great but I just don't see where this squad is coming from right now.

Being honest I'm not bothered that players like Vokes have left or that players like De Vries, Jonsson and Berra may yet leave. But if the likes of Jarvis, Fletcher, Milijas and Hammill join the exodous along with the likes of Kightly and Guedioura in seeing players with some ability leaving added to Stale saying players like Batth could go out on loan as well then when I look at what's left it concerns me that the remaining squad will do well to even reach the mid table position I'm expecting this season.

I was under the impression the manager wanted to bring new players in and I sincerely hope he does but with a current first team squad of, I believe 33 players, and Stale wanting to reduce that number by 9-10 players then what's left is poor to average.

Taking into account Hennessey and O'Hara are long term injured and Craddock an unlikely starter whilst Mouyokolo has hardly played the past 18 months then I'm guessing Stale will be looking at having 17-19 players he intends to work with until the others are fit are fit. If so those players look to consist of what is left of the current first team squad minus the leavers. Where is there space for further new arrivals?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming Fletcher and Jarvis do leave, what;s your 24 man squad Essex? Perhaps leave space for 2 new signings...

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfer deadline day is going to be very very busy put it that way.

A

andyc225

Ståle has said all along that he only wants that many players on the first-team training pitch at any one time. Should come as no surprise really.

E

Essex Wolf

Assuming Fletcher and Jarvis do leave, what;s your 24 man squad Essex? Perhaps leave space for 2 new signings...

Hogan, looking at the clubs official site then when all the players Stale wants out are gone, should they go of course, the 23-24 size squad Stale talks of is basically what's left.

With certain players injured and others not up to speed the squad will consist of about 19ish available players, that's if others don't get injured.

As such the available squad could be Ikeme, Elokobi, Ward, Zubar, Doherty, Foley, Johnson, Stearman, Hunt, Henry, Peszco, Edwards, Doumbia, Forde, Davis, Nouble, SEB, Doyle and Sigurdarson.

Add O'Hara, Hennessey, Craddock and Mouyokolo to the above and that's 23 players.

Don't know about you but if that's the case and if all those were available Wolves might have an outside chance of the play offs but it's highly unlikely they will all be available to begin with and some are so lacking in coinfidence and/or quality then that squad is average to me.

If new signings are to be made, which is as I believe the case to be, then either Stale's maths are not too good or even more players will be moving on?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4008

Transfer deadline day is going to be very very busy put it that way.

I doubt it with Morgan and Moxey in charge. I doubt we will make the playoffs with that current squad. Fletch and Jarvis want to go and should be sold asap. Yes we are tlking a million here and there and I know thats alot of money. But if we don't make the Prem how many millions will we have lost then?.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's about making the players feel involved. if you haven't sat on the bench for 2-3 weeks you'd soon start feeling you not part of the plans.
I think he is talking about players like Jonnson, Moyokolo, Doherty, Milijas, Possibly Hunt, Hammill, Batth on loan, Reckford loan and maybe Winnall? that's 9 players that could be taken out of the 1st team squad and probably not be missed too much although I'd personally like to see Batth given a game..

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Hennessey
2. De Vries/Replacement
3. Ikeme
4. Foley
5. Zubar
6. Stearman
7. NEW CB
8. Johnson
9. Ward
10. NEW LB
11. Henry
12. Edwards
13. O'Hara
14. Doumbia
15. Peszko
16. Jarvis/NEW LW
17. Davis
18. Forde
19. Hunt
20. SEB
21. Doyle
22. Sigurdason
23. Nouble
24. Mouyokolo

That's how I envision us going into the new season, with Batth & Doherty joining somebody on loan. I don't count Craddock as part of the playing contingent as he himself tweeted there's virtually no chance he could play.

And then I predict two more incoming transfers in the January window.

This is all contingent upon being able to sell the players we want to sell, of course.

As dazman posted elsewhere, we need to regain the mentality we had under Mick (up until 2011). If we do so, that squad - if boosted by a few good signings - could push for the top two. If not, we'll be nowhere near.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The championship is a long hard season. We are taking a hell of a gamble in having a small squad if you ask me.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's about making the players feel involved. if you haven't sat on the bench for 2-3 weeks you'd soon start feeling you not part of the plans.
I think he is talking about players like Jonnson, Moyokolo, Doherty, Milijas, Possibly Hunt, Hammill, Batth on loan, Reckford loan and maybe Winnall? that's 9 players that could be taken out of the 1st team squad and probably not be missed too much although I'd personally like to see Batth given a game..

The trouble with that is we wont have enough centre backs at the club.
We wont have enough attacking midfield players either.

D

Deleted member 4008

I agree that players don't and won't want to be sat on the bench but what if we bring in another CD we going to list Stearman as we will have a player that will be sitting on the bench. You can say injuries but we could get 3 injuries tonight and then what we revise the 24 man squad that Solbakken has said. For me it is risky to say numbers when we don't even know who is going to be here come deadline day.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is the honeymoon over already? Are some of the more negative posters having doubts and questioning him? If they are, already, it's gonna be a long long season both on here and at the ground.

D

dazmanwolf

He can loan out a large number of players and then build a squad of 22/23 players. It doesn't mean we have to sell all the unwanted ones. Loan clubs will pay their wages.

Season long loans will help him focus on a smaller nucleus of players and then build some kind of bond and spirit as is needed.

V Wolf

Reaction score
GKs:
Hennessey - injured
Ikeme
McCarey

DFs:
Stearman
Foley
Zubar
Johnson
Ward
Elokobi
Mouyokolo - injured
Doherty

MFs:
O'Hara - injured
Edwards
Hunt
Davis
Henry
Doumbia
Forde
Peszco

STs:
Ebanks-Blake
Doyle
Nouble
Sigurdarson

Essex is right. Working on the assumption that Fletcher, Jarvis, Berra, De Vries, Batth, Milijas and Hamill all move on either permanently or on loan and Craddock remains behiond the scenes coaching, those are the 23 senior players left. Accounting for the 3 injured players we may see a couple of loans as short-term cover perhaps.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm questioning the wisdom in having a small squad in the slog that is the championship and seemingly letting so many players go with not enough new players coming in.
We all know how we always seem to suffer with injuries and if this were to happen we would be stuffed!
I'm not going to lie. I am concerned that we are letting the likes of Hammill go for a pitance whilst the likes of Hunt and Forde, who isn't ready remain.
I dont want to be negative but I cant help feel concerned at what is happening at the present time.
I'm sure a couple of good signings will ease my concerns!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can loan out a large number of players and then build a squad of 22/23 players. It doesn't mean we have to sell all the unwanted ones. Loan clubs will pay their wages.

Season long loans will help him focus on a smaller nucleus of players and then build some kind of bond and spirit as is needed.

The trouble with season long loans is we cant recall players if we have an injury crisis as we did in midfield last year but couldn't recall Guedioura.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm questioning the wisdom in having a small squad in the slog that is the championship and seemingly letting so many players go with not enough new players coming in.
We all know how we always seem to suffer with injuries and if this were to happen we would be stuffed!
I'm not going to lie. I am concerned that we are letting the likes of Hammill go for a pitance whilst the likes of Hunt and Forde, who isn't ready remain.
I dont want to be negative but I cant help feel concerned at what is happening at the present time.
I'm sure a couple of good signings will ease my concerns!

Patience my good man!

E

Essex Wolf

Is the honeymoon over already? Are some of the more negative posters having doubts and questioning him? If they are, already, it's gonna be a long long season both on here and at the ground.

The bloke deserves a chance NWW but reducing the squad to that figure over a long season is a big gamble and unless a small squad is full of quality at the level they play then it looks a recipe to fail.

The list of 24 done by Hogan is okay at best as I see it and that's based on new signings in January. Problem is that with so many players left and looking likely to leave then new faces are needed now.

I think most of us knew McCarthy was reliant too much on quantity and not quality and that workrate was the most important issue whereas Stale has, thankfully, a different and IMV better approach but if he really is wanting a squad of no more than about 23 players he needs to improve on much of what he currently has.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bloke deserves a chance NWW but reducing the squad to that figure over a long season is a big gamble and unless a small squad is full of quality at the level they play then it looks a recipe to fail.

The list of 24 done by Hogan is okay at best as I see it and that's based on new signings in January. Problem is that with so many players and looking liely to leave then new faces are needed now.

I think most of us knew McCarthy was reliant too much on quantity and not quality and that workrate was the most important issue whereas Stale has, thankfully, a different and IMV better approach but if he really is wanting a squad of no more than about 23 players he needs to improve on much of what he currently has.

I think that's what he's trying to do - streamline the squad.

The current crop are all much of a muchness (with the exception of Fletcher and perhaps Jarvis).

I'd rather see a squad of 24 in which there are 2/3 more Solbakken signings than to have us keep the current squad of 30.

E

EdwardLoxdale

We have a loan window to utilise ourselves this year. If players go we can replace with other players on loan with a view to buy in January. Plenty of Championship clubs do it. We will be fine. Also if we send out players on loan we can put recall clauses in there so we can recall players if we get an injury crisis.

D

Deleted member 4008

Does anyone have the figures for Southamptons squad size last season with West Ham and Reading?. I am sure Southampton and West Ham had big squads. West Ham had about 8 forwards.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The trouble with season long loans is we cant recall players if we have an injury crisis as we did in midfield last year but couldn't recall Guedioura.
Guedioura wasn't on a season long loan though.

V

VikingWolf

Ståle wants a first choice and a backup/challenger for each of the 11 first choices, then 1-2 more for injuries. I can't really see how that's considered to be a "small" squad, but then again I'm not used to my Norwegian team playing 46 league game seasons either :)

D

Daytripper

I'm surprised no one has blamed Moxley for this in wanting to cut the wage bill, surely if the budget allows the manager would have a bigger squad of quality players?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a loan window to utilise ourselves this year. If players go we can replace with other players on loan with a view to buy in January. Plenty of Championship clubs do it. We will be fine. Also if we send out players on loan we can put recall clauses in there so we can recall players if we get an injury crisis.

If you send players out on season long loans or window to window loans you normally cant have recall clauses Lox.
Make no mistake we will have to make some signings if we lose all of these players.

W

we8wba

baath ever going to get chance here? would imagine if cant cut it this year he never will

E

Essex Wolf

I think that's what he's trying to do - streamline the squad.

The current crop are all much of a muchness (with the exception of Fletcher and perhaps Jarvis).

I'd rather see a squad of 24 in which there are 2/3 more Solbakken signings than to have us keep the current squad of 30.

Agreed re streaminging Hogan but he needs to be very careful it doesn't become threadbare.

If Fletcher and Jarvis were to remain then even if the likes of Milijas, Hammill, Berra and Jonsson leave along with a few others going out on loan then just bringing in a couple of decent additions may be good enough but going on his idea of a 23 man squad then should Fletcher and Jarvis go along with the others even a couple of decent additions may not be enough.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From looking at that they roughly have at least 27/28 players in the squad and then youth players. We will wait and see if he is right in his thinking but if we get injuries I can see Daley and Moutain on the bench .

That is my concern. I just dont think 23-24 players are enough in the championship with playing so many games.
You need a strong squad.

D

Dewsburywolf

Not many people seem to be able to grasp this fact. Also no cap on the amount of players we can call upon which also the hard of thinking aren't grasping

V

VikingWolf

How many quality players would be happy to be in a team as the 3rd choice for his position though? Knowing you'll only get played if the 2 ahead of you are unavailable?

The whole reason Ståle wants 23-24 players is psychological, not that he don't want options.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I certainly havn't gone into panic mode, it's about time we saw a radical change to the playing staff, and not before time!

What's for sure, we won't be a promotion favourite this season, but a club in transisition.

E

Essex Wolf

That is my concern. I just dont think 23-24 players are enough in the championship with playing so many games.
You need a strong squad.

Agreed. The squad last season was clearly nowhere near good enough and with the better players left or leaving then it seems odd to take the chance of the same problem arising this season as well.

D

Dewsburywolf

You need a strong squad.

23/24 in any given week? If players get injured get others to step up from the reserve/development squad?

S

SimplyTheWolves

Stale is trying to get a tight knit group together that all feel part of the team, he can't do this if he has players that are very unlikely to be called upon during the season as they just won't feel part of that team.

Having these none starter players around will more than likely cause unrest in the rest of the squad, so to me it makes sense to trim the squad to keep moral high within it.

D

Deleted member 4008

Stale is trying to get a tight knit group together that all feel part of the team, he can't do this if he has players that are very unlikely to be called upon during the season as they just won't feel part of that team.

Having these none starter players around will more than likely cause unrest in the rest of the squad, so to me it makes sense to trim the squad to keep moral high within it.

It didn't seem to harm the teams that got promoted last season having bigger squads than 23/24 players.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
We all know we will pick up injuries. We all know Moxey will be in the press using them as excuses for poor results like he does every season. We all know our squad especially our defence isnt good enough and we all know the transfer " warchest" is hot air leading to more disappointment from some of our more naive fans.

A couple of injuries and we barely have a squad capable of a mid table finish let alone promotion.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
23/24 in any given week? If players get injured get others to step up from the reserve/development squad?

Is that really acceptable for a side who have just been relegated and are in a strong financial position and should be going for promotion?
Look at West Ham last season. Did they have to rely on calling up players from their development squad if they got injuries.
Did Southampton?
I think you will find the answer is no as both had strong squads

Back
Top Bottom