Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stale, our new players, and the future....

W

wanderer24

OK, so this maybe could be put on an existing thread but my point is quite specific. As discussed until the cows come home, there are various things that have gone on with the club and still going on in the background. We all have different opinions about these but it's all sort of irrelevant in my book.

We are where we are. We have employed a new manager and he is in the process of assembling his own squad, tactics, and putting his personality on the club. We can all have opinions about whether he will be successful or not but nobody truly knows either way, time will tell.
But how do you feel by what he has done up to now?
Are you impressed with the players he's brought in?
Most importantly, if the quality of signings continues will be be successfull?

I personally am very happy with what he implemented. I remember seeing training photo's from last season and you would never have guessed we were $$$$, they were all smiling and relaxed. There seems to be more focus in training.....correct me if im wrong. I like his reaction to being asked about the fans "no, i have no message for the fans". It differs from the previous confrontational reactions we had coming from the club, directors down to players.

Im very impressed to hear the positive comments from fellow fans regarding the new signings; particularly Sig, Pezco, and Doumbia. Clearly these signings are 100% Stale signings and all look like they will progress the team.
Now, even the most in denial fans will admit our defence has been the problem for god knows how long. If, yes it's a big if; but if he can sign defenders along the same quality as the three above then i think we can be confident about a decent team/squad being assembled.

The success of these players as a team will rest with Stale's ability to get them playing as he wants and whether that translates in the Championship.

I for one, think we are steadily heading in the right direction. Thoughts please??

Last edited by a moderator:
S

singwolf_1

Yes I agree. I don't think we were too bad and I did like the look of Pzecko.

One thing I did notice and I don't know if any of you other did. They had a shot of TC talking to Stale during the game, and Stale just ignoring him. If body language was anything to go by, I'd have said that he did not rate TC at all, and TC will soon be on his way

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One thing I did notice and I don't know if any of you other did. They had a shot of TC talking to Stale during the game, and Stale just ignoring him. If body language was anything to go by, I'd have said that he did not rate TC at all, and TC will soon be on his way

Yes, I noticed that. No acknowledgement or slightest sign he was listening to what Terry was saying. Get 10 games in so Stale feels he knows the league and I too can see Terry being relegated to putting the cones out.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I noticed this, and it was mentioned by several on the commentary thread. Stale's demeanour was as if TC was not there, later Stale was in the technical area with no sign of TC.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think once we sign a completely new back four, we'll be on our way.

At the moment, our defence is really holding us back, and I can't see us progressing anywhere until that entire defence is replaced.

O

Oxford_Wolf

Good news really

S

singwolf_1

I think once we sign a completely new back four, we'll be on our way.

At the moment, our defence is really holding us back, and I can't see us progressing anywhere until that entire defence is replaced.

The reason that Stale continues with Zubar is that he gives us more on an attacking option - as an overlapping fullback - something that both Zico and Parkin used to do with great effectiveness. Unfortunately Foley is less of an attacking threat although I think he is better in his defensive duties.

I'm in two minds regarding Steers. I would like to see Baath given a chance to play alongside RJ.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no doubt TC was being ignored, TC waited ages for a reaction from SS and didnt get it.

We needed a complete overhaul in the way we play, and we are getting it. There was a passage of play down the left hand side involving SEB, Jarvis etc that involved more consecutive passes than we made all last season.

The problem is, we still have certain players that resort to hoof, Ward in particular seemed to not "get it" and it was as if he has forgotton what he has been told in training every now and again. There were a few occasions when we were passing it around and then Ward would come in and play a lofted pass in the general direction of Doyle, which i suppose will take time to shift after doing constantly for the last 3 years. Zubar also did this on occasion.

From what i have read from his FCK days, the key thing is for us to keep posession for the first hour, tiring the opposition then pushing on in the last 30 mins. This is going to take time for both the players and fans to adjust to. I don't doubt the players will get this with time, i just hope the fans have the patience to allow this to happen.

stevev53

Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments on here. I thought we did ok yesterday and it will take time to adjust. The back four is an obvious problem and we desperately need 2 new full backs and a cb who dosent spend all the game pulling the opposition down and having to make last minute lunging tackles because he is out of position.Doyle is another who has just lost his way. He is constantly falling over and is not looking like he will ever score. I like the new signings and we got stronger as the game went on. We need the team to just win a game and the confidence will return. TC has just got to go.Lets get behind the new manager on Tuesday and if you have to boo wait till after the game please.You have to be a complete moron to believe that booing your side during the game is positive.

D

Deleted member 4023

I wasn't aware of the thing with TC until I watched the highlights. It did actually look as though TC was trying to tell him something, but Stale ignored him.
We could be reading too much into it - maybe Stale was just so focused on the game - (analysing why the players weren't sticking to the game plan?)

B

bridgnorthwolf

I saw that and thought the same at first, but think TC may have been talking to Johan Lange just out of shot.

I'm not 100% on that, but TC nodded his head at one point after a brief pause as if to acknowledge something someone had said.

B

Batman

I think you're reading too much into the TC thing. Johan Lange was talking to Stale in the first half and got pretty much blanked too. I think Stale just gets engrossed in the game he probably hears what they are saying but doesn't give an immediate response.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
I thought he nodded in a "very well, have it your way" manner, as if to acknowledge that Solbakken was ignoring him.

EDIT: There was also a shot later on, that showed Connor sitting on the bench, with his arms crossed, and he was nowhere near Ståle.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The TC observations are wishful thinking. Leave the man alone.

It is impossible to judge after one game. I felt it was "same old same old".

However Doumbia and Pescko did ok. Sigurdason wasn't on long enough to judge.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO it was a different pattern of play ...AT TIMES ..

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the pattern of our play was no different. A poor back 4, 2 midfielders that were so deep at times that our front 2 were isolated and an ineffectual use of the flanks. Not only was the team made up of existing players, but SS must have used MM's 'tactic' board. We were very predictable and laboured for large portions of the game. We only started to take control when Colin decided to replace a forward with a defender for the last 20 minutes.

lufc on the other hand had somebody in Diouf who could control not just the ball, but the tempo of their game.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the pattern of our play was no different. A poor back 4, 2 midfielders that were so deep at times that our front 2 were isolated and an ineffectual use of the flanks. Not only was the team made up of existing players, but SS must have used MM's 'tactic' board. We were very predictable and laboured for large portions of the game. We only started to take control when Colin decided to replace a forward with a defender for the last 20 minutes.

lufc on the other hand had somebody in Diouf who could control not just the ball, but the tempo of their game.
And worked very hard to represent for his country in the next olympics for diving.:eek:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Call it what you will. He used his experience to good effect for his team.
Would you like to see our players doing that? If you regard it as a skill then yes he was brilliant at conning the referee. But where will it leave the game if all players start doing it on a regular basis.:elefant:

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would certainly like to see our players playing intelligently. Players have been conning officials for years, it's a misconception that it's a new phenomena. All that's different is the added effect.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he nodded in a "very well, have it your way" manner, as if to acknowledge that Solbakken was ignoring him.

EDIT: There was also a shot later on, that showed Connor sitting on the bench, with his arms crossed, and he was nowhere near Ståle.

Also he was on back row of seats feet up drinking a bottle of Coke...
Don't look good to me

W

wolfyjoe

As North West Wanderer has said, i reckon talk of TC being ignored by Stale is wishful thinking. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that after seeing three or four shots of them communicating during the game. Just $$$$ stirring really.

As for the direction we're heading, I'm reasonably happy with it. My problem yesterday was with the lads that have been here since the McCarthy era, some of which feel that they are Premier League players but seemed not to want to take control of the football or the game. Henry played one good pass but his first half contribution lacked the kind of driving leadership needed from midfield. Doyle looked like he hadn't played football for years and Sylvan struggled because of this and his own lack of movement. As discussed, the defence was shoddy and the full backs offered little to the attack.

However, Doumbia looked classy and Peszko was very impressive. He's not had a preseason with us at all and he still game on, took the game by the scruff of the neck and tried to make things happen. Not everything came off but he was infinitely better than the anonymous Forde. Sigurdarson cut through their defence once and showed some promise- I'm sure he'll improve with game time. I think i'd sacrifice Doyle in favour of Sigurdarson as he has offered very little for the past 20 odd competitive games that we've played.

I'd hope for at least another two signings of the Peszko and Doumbia ilk. This would strengthen the first team and add some competition for places. The lads from the McCarthy era have a lot to prove.

E

E is for idiot.

I thought we moved the ball a lot better than last season. We did lump it long at times, but it happened a lot less tan previously. It was nice to see players showing for the ball as well. Disappointing result, but the signs are there that it will come, it just might take a while. Stick with him, even if we don't go up, in fact part of me hopes we don't and we stick with him, at least then we will be more prepared to go up and stay up!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could see we were trying to play in a new style and when we did we looked quite good, the trouble was half the squad hadn't been told!

H

Hatch End

Half the squad are incapable of playing in a new style!

Five years of lumping it upfield has left them terminally programmed to play the Mad Mick way.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with the OP, small glimmers of light in terms of passing improvement, I don't think many who played yesterday, newcomers apart, who will be in the team this time next year. We do need better defenders although I believe that Stale is trying to bring others in but not had any luck yet. He must surely be aware how awful our fullbacks in particular are and will not add much to his style of play. No matter how much Zubar gets forward he can't control the ball or make a decent contribution to our attacking play. If we could keep Fletcher and he knuckled down that would improve our attacking play no end. Still early days and no need to panic, just need to consolidate this season and not expect too much, next season hopes will be much higher.

S

StrayWolf

I wish we bought him, but he may not get permit?
Very fast and topscorer in Sweeden

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgzhHoXgV4"]ABDUL MAJEED WARIS HIGHLIGHT (2011-2012) .m4v - YouTube[/nomedia]

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like Stale likes to play a high line of defence, and that's what undid us..
Look how high we were when that ball was played..

It will take time and i will give it to him and EVERY member of the squad !

B

Bankswolf II

I sang Solbakken give us a wave and he ignored me does that mean he hates the fans too

$$$$ stirring

Back
Top Bottom