Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely agree but some on here seem to think that routinely standing on mass, in a boisterous situation, with a trip/ fall hazard at probably knee height, rather than having a steel rail in front of you designed to take your weight at waist/ chest height is no risk whatsoever. Astonishing really.

Absolutely. This is especially the case in stadiums like Newcastle, where the away supporters are up at the top of the Leazes stand, which is both high and very steep. Someone standing and collapsing up there could flatten a few people in the rows below them!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s never been safe to stand in seated areas. I’ve witnessed a number of occasions young kids being knocked to the ground and flattered by 18 stone blokes from the row behind.

The bars have now made things miles safer and I’m shocked this hasn’t been bought in sooner.
I went to so many matches pre seated areas when crowds moved and swayed no danger the Hillsborough fiasco was nothing to do with standing

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to so many matches pre seated areas when crowds moved and swayed no danger the Hillsborough fiasco was nothing to do with standing

Perhaps, but I’ve been stood at the front of a packed terrace in days gone by, and the risk of crushing against the old barriers or rails as the crowd pushes forward was real. In saying that, you have the same risk in some concerts, and some of those have ended in tragedy without standing being banned.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. This is especially the case in stadiums like Newcastle, where the away supporters are up at the top of the Leazes stand, which is both high and very steep. Someone standing and collapsing up there could flatten a few people in the rows below them!
I fell two rows froward from the top of the Steve bill upper when we equalised 2-2 with Sheff Utd years ago. Trapped my foot as I fell and thought I’d broken my leg.

It was worth it.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ouch!
It's not really that dangerous, like caving or parkour is it? Yeah you might get a scraped shin but not that bad. At least it sort of says to the people in those sections of the ground that this is where you stand. Used to get people going in the South Bank telling all around and in front to sit down.
As long as this doesn't mean that parts of the ground where fans stand up aren't given warnings for standing now? Football is rubbish when you're sat down watching.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ouch!
It's not really that dangerous, like caving or parkour is it? Yeah you might get a scraped shin but not that bad. At least it sort of says to the people in those sections of the ground that this is where you stand. Used to get people going in the South Bank telling all around and in front to sit down.
As long as this doesn't mean that parts of the ground where fans stand up aren't given warnings for standing now? Football is rubbish when you're sat down watching.
The point is that people will be able to stand in the “safe standing” sections where the appropriate seating/ rails have been installed but not elsewhere.
I think i read that as part of the licence for safe standing, that if fans stand in the non safe standing areas then there may be penalties including the removal of the safe standing licence elsewhere in the ground.
Personally, i prefer to sit anyway as my back wont put up with being stood up for 2 hours.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I much prefer to stand. In fact I hate sitting at games. But, since the daft obsession with 'limbs' as something to celebrate and aspire to on social media, the celebrations have imo become more ott: I'm not gonna jump forward 2 rows flailing about like I'm having a fit because we've got a consolation goal vs Fulham.

The safe standing is a good idea. ButvI reckon of people self policed a bit it wouldn't really be necessary. Like some others have posted, I hope this doesn't mean the end of standing at the back of the Bully.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fell two rows froward from the top of the Steve bill upper when we equalised 2-2 with Sheff Utd years ago. Trapped my foot as I fell and thought I’d broken my leg.

It was worth it.
Who is Steve Bill??? Did you hit your head lol.... Sorry, l couldn't resist ..

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ouch!
Parkour you say?

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I much prefer to stand. In fact I hate sitting at games. But, since the daft obsession with 'limbs' as something to celebrate and aspire to on social media, the celebrations have imo become more ott: I'm not gonna jump forward 2 rows flailing about like I'm having a fit because we've got a consolation goal vs Fulham.

The safe standing is a good idea. ButvI reckon of people self policed a bit it wouldn't really be necessary. Like some others have posted, I hope this doesn't mean the end of standing at the back of the Bully.

your be surprised how many of us older folks cant go to matches since all seating came in because of arthritis, bad hips, backs, Knee's etc that can only stand, so looking good for us them to go again, without the agony of sitting crouched up. Happy days are here again.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
your be surprised how many of us older folks cant go to matches since all seating came in because of arthritis, bad hips, backs, Knee's etc that can only stand, so looking good for us them to go again, without the agony of sitting crouched up. Happy days are here again.
Interesting. There are probably as many or more who can only attend if they can sit down. I suspect that there will be a lot of people moving in the summer.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite bizarre that the result of being granted a licence for safe standing (i.e. doing it by the book) results in more draconian enforcement against standing across the whole ground than if you hadn’t bothered to apply for a licence at all.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite bizarre that the result of being granted a licence for safe standing (i.e. doing it by the book) results in more draconian enforcement against standing across the whole ground than if you hadn’t bothered to apply for a licence at all.
Basically the quid pro quo for approved standing in specified areas. Hardly surprising or why would anyone bother seeking the license?

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hopefully this ruling on safe standing was the only thing "standing' in the way of replacing the Steve Bull (safe) Stand? Now they can get the architects to draw up plans that include rail seats?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully this ruling on safe standing was the only thing "standing' in the way of replacing the Steve Bull (safe) Stand? Now they can get the architects to draw up plans that include rail seats?
I doubt a new Steve bull stand would be safe standing. Only done it now for when away fans are there. If ever it got done the away fans will permanently be in the corner. I’d guess the side stands would be normal seating.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score

It was worth it.
This happened to a guy a few rows behind us at a Scotland game in Slovenia in Celje, many years ago. We heard and saw the "snap", but he was so ****ed he just jumped up and hobbled off. His mates supposedly took him to hospital the next day, and his leg was broken.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really. If the new safe standing arrangements (rail seats) are deemed to be what is required to enable safe standing, then by definition, areas that dont have those arrangements are not deemed to be safe and clubs will need arrangements in place to control that. The licence for safe standing, and the threat of its removal, is the carrot and stick to facilitate that.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting. There are probably as many or more who can only attend if they can sit down. I suspect that there will be a lot of people moving in the summer.

Two legitimate sides of the same coin. My lower back would be a nightmare if I stood in the same place for a full game. It’s fine walking around, but in safe standing, you’re in a designated spot. The metal bar built into the seat in front would help, but my preference is to sit for most of the game, with the ability to stand / jump up for the exciting bits!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really. If the new safe standing arrangements (rail seats) are deemed to be what is required to enable safe standing, then by definition, areas that dont have those arrangements are not deemed to be safe and clubs will need arrangements in place to control that. The licence for safe standing, and the threat of its removal, is the carrot and stick to facilitate that.
Yup. That's the logic.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two legitimate sides of the same coin. My lower back would be a nightmare if I stood in the same place for a full game. It’s fine walking around, but in safe standing, you’re in a designated spot. The metal bar built into the seat in front would help, but my preference is to sit for most of the game, with the ability to stand / jump up for the exciting bits!
Exactly.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Isn't the concept that it's not safe to stand in a seated area rather ignoring the fact that whenever a goal is scored everyone stands up anyway? Most people seem to survive at away grounds as far as I've noticed. Rail seating is definitely an improvement, but the most trouble I've seen in the South Bank is when Moxey was instructing stewards to properly trying to make people sit down when they wanted to stand.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basically the quid pro quo for approved standing in specified areas. Hardly surprising or why would anyone bother seeking the license?
And the way it used to be. I remember turning up and paying on the gate, if standing was sold out you bought a seat... and sat in it. It's not difficult.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I manage to take my dad to games he sits down and manages to stand up for the exciting bits just as everybody else has sat back down (it’s hilarious to watch if I’m being honest!) so standing all game would probably *******s him. He still moans about not being able to sit in the comfortable Brighton seats with loads of leg room because everybody in the away end stands all game… not sitting on that seat is probably the biggest regret of his life the amount he bangs on about it.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When I manage to take my dad to games he sits down and manages to stand up for the exciting bits just as everybody else has sat back down (it’s hilarious to watch if I’m being honest!) so standing all game would probably *******s him. He still moans about not being able to sit in the comfortable Brighton seats with loads of leg room because everybody in the away end stands all game… not sitting on that seat is probably the biggest regret of his life the amount he bangs on about it.
I think grounds will have to start offering ‘guaranteed seating’ areas for supporters like your dad. I remember at Forest away in the league cup last season that I was in front of an elderly gent and his wife who struggled standing for prolonged periods. We weren’t far from the front so I did my best to sit so their view wasn’t obscured however there were a big group of lads in front who wouldn’t sit. They were more bothered about the Forest fans than the match to be honest. I suppose it must be tough to be aggressive towards people whilst sat down!!!

I prefer to stand and that’s why I go in the south bank however I feel for those who go away who would like to sit. If they complain about others they’ll only get a mouthful of abuse.

During half time of the Forest match I was actually sat on the edge of the upturned seat and got told off by a steward for it. He’d completely ignored the nonsense from the supporters in front and persistent standing for 45mins and decided he’d wait for me to be sitting ‘incorrectly’ before springing into action!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps the powers that be could try to give fans what they want not what they think they should be forced to have
Standing areas for those that prefer it and nice roomy comfortable seat for those that need to sit
Or do the fans really not matter
People bang on about atmosphere but let’s get some freedom back

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as Molineux starts getting a bit of atmosphere elsewhere in the ground other than the south bank, the stewards will start clamping down on standing.
It's OTT and obviously not what the Taylor Report was deeming unsafe about mass standing 20,000 terraces and ticket distribution.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps the powers that be could try to give fans what they want not what they think they should be forced to have
Standing areas for those that prefer it and nice roomy comfortable seat for those that need to sit
Or do the fans really not matter
People bang on about atmosphere but let’s get some freedom back
Er, they have - safe standing in all of the South Bank and part of the Steve Bull lower.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not much of a carrot if you could have had these areas already (as we have) and none of it was enforced anywhere.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as Molineux starts getting a bit of atmosphere elsewhere in the ground other than the south bank, the stewards will start clamping down on standing.
It's OTT and obviously not what the Taylor Report was deeming unsafe about mass standing 20,000 terraces and ticket distribution.

I don’t think you need to be standing to shout, sing and contribute to the noise!

Back
Top Bottom