Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on mate. I love a bit of corned beef ;)
I did my mate a solid and let him take his cousin from Australia to a game in the south bank last season and sat in the new north bank first time. I won’t be rushing for a second, awful atmosphere

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Annoys me a bit that the ground is a closed shop as soon as Wolves have any sort of success. Not great for future support.

Anyone know why the huge South Bank terrace only became a 5000 seated stand?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Annoys me a bit that the ground is a closed shop as soon as Wolves have any sort of success. Not great for future support.

Trouble is football is a fast moving beast. It’s not that long ago under Saunders we were getting 17,000, it looked and felt awful then, imagine how it would be if it happened again and the stadium held 40k plus?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is football is a fast moving beast. It’s not that long ago under Saunders we were getting 17,000, it looked and felt awful then, imagine how it would be if it happened again and the stadium held 40k plus?
Think about 38000 would be perfect for us, with a top tier that could be closed if we were Saunders'd again.
Not sure long term putting away fans in the quadrant is great IMO, I'd give them a quarter or corner of south bank going into the Steve Bull instead. Better atmosphere when the away fans make some noise.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think about 38000 would be perfect for us, with a top tier that could be closed if we were Saunders'd again.
Not sure long term putting away fans in the quadrant is great IMO, I'd give them a quarter or corner of south bank going into the Steve Bull instead. Better atmosphere when the away fans make some noise.
That’s always been around my number in my head, anything above 40k is madness.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It really isn’t a closed shop

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did a year in the north bank in the mid 90s then been South bank ever since. Comparing the two is like comparing fillet steak to corned beef.
I prefer the north bank to the south bank as there is a lot more space.

The John Ireland stand is the worst stand. It's really cramped, have to queue for the toilet, and needs condemning.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because when it was built, the South Bank moved east and had less space to use on the bank it’s largely built on. Then consider that a seated stand will hold far fewer people per sq metre than an old terrace, and that’s the result

If you look at the old Molineux photo attached, then consider that the John Ireland / Steve Bull stand was built entirely behind the old Molineux Street stand and the new South Bank sits square to that stand. So the new South Bank sits only on the lower half of the old South Bank, so it’s much smaller and far less densely packed.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 52

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because when it was built, the South Bank moved east and had less space to use on the bank it’s largely built on. Then consider that a seated stand will hold far fewer people per sq metre than an old terrace, and that’s the result

If you look at the old Molineux photo attached, then consider that the John Ireland / Steve Bull stand was built entirely behind the old Molineux Street stand and the new South Bank sits square to that stand. So the new South Bank sits only on the lower half of the old South Bank, so it’s much smaller and far less densely packed.

Also, and simply, the new south bank was built to be in proportion to the existing John Ireland stand. Plus 28k was a sensible capacity at the time.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the day, when 2 sides of the ground was closed. Why couldn’t a small amount of work on the north bank have made it usable? Even if they had removed all the roofing and just had it open air terracing for away fans??
I remember going away to one of the Bristol teams and we were behind a goal with no roof…

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the day, when 2 sides of the ground was closed. Why couldn’t a small amount of work on the north bank have made it usable? Even if they had removed all the roofing and just had it open air terracing for away fans??
I remember going away to one of the Bristol teams and we were behind a goal with no roof…
Wood construction following Bradford fire.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basically we had no cash. At one point we couldn’t even pay the milkman.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I prefer the north bank to the south bank as there is a lot more space.

The John Ireland stand is the worst stand. It's really cramped, have to queue for the toilet, and needs condemning.
My ST is in the South Bank but we go in the North Bank (upper) sometimes for cup games and agree it’s loads better in terms of space in the concourse and at the seats. My only complaint is when we’ve gone to WV1 the legroom in those seats in absolutely horrendous, I am 6ft 4 but the only way I can fit in is by crunching my legs into the seat in front.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably dismantling the north bank roof would've cost a fair few £££ when we had 2 stands that held a lot. Wierd seeing a ground with 2 sides, must've felt like the club was a complete shambles to the players or new signings!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Like saying, I don't ride my bicycle, because I might get a puncture.

Last edited:

Wolf of Salop

Groupie
Reaction score
Swindon too

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm 52....soon to be 53....
I know that I'm naïve
Fellows I meet may tell me I'm sweet
And willingly I believe...
6a00d83451b52369e201b8d07be174970c-pi

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to quite a few away games with no roof on the terrace, great when the sun's shining....
Love an away end with a low roof, Peterborough away springs to mind.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good post SBK and very true, although a bigger ground would see a steady increase in the die hard fans, so a 50k ground would probably drop to around 30/35k.
think to progress to the next level we need a stadium holding up to 55/60k. West Ham were lucky to near enough been given a new Stadium, they a good example,

PS Cant see it happening anytime soon,

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are no plans to develop Molineux. There never were and are unlikely to be in our lifetimes. So could we please change the thread title to 'New stadium - a pipe dream'.
Could we paint it. Hell I’ll have a go if someone passes me a tin and a brush.

Maybe we could arrange a charity painting day and shame the club into it?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Decent player turnover is the priority over a new stadium or new stands, to create revenue. That said, Fosun should be planning on improving what we’ve got. Everything still seems so 1995.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't blame Fosun for prioritising the first team, that seems the wisest course if we are to establish ourselves more comfortably in the Premier League. But taking a five year view surely they have to modernise and expand the stadium even in a relatively modest way. Many of us agree that a 40,000 seat stadium is sustainable and sensible and while the ROI may be unattractive in many ways you can't go on on forever neglecting a stadium. A measured approach should surely be possible - noone expects Spurs -like super stadiums. But a relatively successful Wolves Premier league team should be capable of filling an up to date 40,000 capacity stadium more often than not.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Loads of other places - Boro, Newcastle, Sunderland, Bolton in early 90s.
I’m sure Albion took the roof off the Smethwick End as well. It was there for the Bully and Hindmarch games but not when we lost 3-2. I think there was talk that clubs paid less tax if a structure didn’t have a roof.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we were to redevelop the stadium, I think there’d be loads more corporate facilities in any new stands. That’s where your money comes really. There are some good accounts on social media who show corporate facilities at clubs, even clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 are charging £200-£250 per person per game for a three course meal, padded seats, meeting an ex-player and having access to a bar.
I've never understood the maths on this

A corporate ticket at the prices above is about 5x a normal match ticket. It takes up way more space and you have to have additional staff to serve their needs. Even if it works out slightly better economically for the club, it can only be marginal.

Back
Top Bottom