Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stability Anyone?

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
Am I the only one concerned by the seeming naivety of the new owners?Whilst we all welcome an injection of cash into the club, I can't help but feel that the new owners are underestimating the demands of this league.
Every manager linked seems to be a foreign manager with no experience of English football, let alone The Championship, and a big name foreign manager doesn't guarantee success at this level - give me Sean Dyche over Paulo Sousa any day of the week.
I was in Portugal a few weeks back and was chatting to a Porto fan, when I mentioned Lopetegui he grimaced and uttered the damning assessment 'He is a huge flop'. Another was more polite suggesting that he is not cut out for club football and should stick to youth international football where he built his reputation. Either way it was a worry that a manager with no real success at club football would be appointed our manager seemingly on the say-so of Jorge Mendes - a man with history as an agent, no history of running a football club.
Also, when has a club ever had so much upheaval in one summer (replacing a chairman and manager and soon enough a Chief Exec) and then made a success the following season. Even United a few years ago went from Champions to 7th following replacing the Manager and Chief Exec in the same summer. I appreciate that a lot of circumstances dictated that league position but retrospectively it's been suggested that they were well behind the competition in terms of player acquisitions due to the new men settling into their roles and with just over a month to go until the end of the transfer window, it doesn't give us a lot of time for the new men in crucial leadership positions to find their feet.
As you may have guessed, I'm a strong advocate of keeping Jackett. I don't feel he should be judged on last season. The first two seasons were resounding successes and last season he had the rug pulled from under him massively. The money-saving bright idea of replacing Sako with Ojo, Morgan's decision to sell, Afobe angling for a Transfer, the farcical last few days of the Jan transfer window and of course the three key players lost to cruciate knee ligament injuries all made it a nightmare season for the manager.
Yesterday's vague post-match comments didn't explicitly say that he's been told he's staying but surely the man deserves a chance to finally spend some decent money and build a proper team to have a real crack at promotion.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's normal for some to worry about what they can't predict or control, but my advice to you is enjoy the renaissance, it's going to be wild ride.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think most of us are struggling to forget the strange goings on last season, even accepting the lack of support from those above him.
The club needs a fresh start to enthuse the fans. If they keep KJ and things don't start well the crowd will quickly turn I think.

M

merseawolf

You want stability? How dull! I want excitement and unpredictability the next few weeks. I want good players brought in. I want a new manager with different tactics to KJ. Shove stability thats boring. Lets have excitement back. No more apathy. Lets have a vibrant forward thinking football club.

G

greywolf

.Ifully agree with you Paddy wolf we need stability more than ever now .The fun will come later .

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By wanting to keep Jackett, I assume you want dull, boring and mediocre football.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 3518

By wanting to keep Jackett, I assume you want dull, boring and mediocre football.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I fail to understand, given a choice, why anyone would want to keep the manager responsible for serving up the dross we witnessed last year. Stability as in lower half of the league and four 0-0 consecutive home games with zero attacking intention in any?

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeming naivety and underestimating demands! Don't think the ink is even dry on the signature.

ManningtreeWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Haven't heard one valid reason for keeping dull Ken, even in a temporary caretaker role until FOSUN identify his replacement. If this is case, just hand 1st team duties to Edwards until a manager is announced hopefully in the coming days. The longer KJ is still in post , the links to old failing dull regime are there.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 3518

Haven't heard one valid reason for keeping dull Ken, even in a temporary caretaker role until FOSUN identify his replacement. If this is case, just hand 1st team duties to Edwards until a manager is announced hopefully in the coming days. The longer KJ is still in post , the links to old failing dull regime are there.

Agree

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why cannot you all wait until after the press conference.Nobody knows what's going to happen next week/month/year yet.ffs give them chance to get their breath.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all sure about the " naivety" of the new owners to be honest. Lopetegui's continued insistence about being offered the job (by Robin Li ) together with a selection of Portuguese starlets somehow doesnt quite stack up against Fosun's £20-30m over 2-3 yrs pledge and Jeff Shi's comment regarding settling things down at the club. Lets hope the whole mystifying situation is completely cleared up tomorrow so that everyone concerned at the club, not least us the paying customers know where we stand and where we're trying to get to. Naivety is something i certainly wouldnt associate with successful hard- headed businessmen and i suspect so much of the wilder speculation weve seen on this board and elsewhere on social media should very soon be dispelled.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remind me again how long they've been in charge? What were you expecting them to do? The players and staff got back from Ireland on Friday had a game yesterday and the press conference is tomorrow.

How about we wait to hear from them before slitting our wrists.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fail to understand, given a choice, why anyone would want to keep the manager responsible for serving up the dross we witnessed last year. Stability as in lower half of the league and four 0-0 consecutive home games with zero attacking intention in any?
I geniunely think some people who advocate him staying didn't go last season, it was so bad.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Certainly agree - more chance of Edwards getting us results in the short term than boring Ken anyway who is now tactically afraid of his own shadow.

Plus, it will be good experience for him.

J

JR's Boots

The club needs to be shaken up from top to bottom.

The mindset of doing just enough to get by has to be thrown out.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
91de6e75b434c52e57a2f784cad372ad.jpg

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Why Rob Edwards? He has had one season coaching the first team and that was the dullest of Jackett's tenure. Were his or Sellars' results with the youngsters so exceptional that they justify them being put in chance on a short-term basis?

Jackett should and will go but I don't get the calls for Edwards or Sellars as a Caretaker/safe pair of hands over a proven Manager.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stability is great if you are successful. I shudder to think that next season will be stable and similar to last season.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for me. Light the touch paper and stand back!

PS I tried to post a picture of Chinese crackers but ****ed it up
UTW

Last edited by a moderator:

wolves4life

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We need a complete fresh start. Clear out all the dross that has ingrained itself into our club and get a fresh, positive perspective from our new owners and hopefully a new exciting managerial appointment to take us back to the promise land.

1LtJohnJDunbar

We need a complete fresh start. Clear out all the dross that has ingrained itself into our club and get a fresh, positive perspective from our new owners and hopefully a new exciting managerial appointment to take us back to the promise land.

Well said.

D

Deleted member 3518

Why Rob Edwards? He has had one season coaching the first team and that was the dullest of Jackett's tenure. Were his or Sellars' results with the youngsters so exceptional that they justify them being put in chance on a short-term basis?

Jackett should and will go but I don't get the calls for Edwards or Sellars as a Caretaker/safe pair of hands over a proven Manager.

I can think of a number of reasons, s0ome of which I've previously posted, namely:

1. Out of respect to KJ, if he knows he's getting the sack why continue, other than for the money (unless they have some other post in mind for him)
2. The players will be well aware he is about to be sacked, what respect will they have for him?
3. I think his continued presence, however short, will have a negative impact on many fans at a time when the owners wish to send out a positive message
4. Based on his performance last season I have zero confidence in him putting out a team at Rotherham that is the best from the players available
5. I have no desire to attend one more game where his negative approach is on display.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can think of a number of reasons, s0ome of which I've previously posted, namely:

1. Out of respect to KJ, if he knows he's getting the sack why continue, other than for the money (unless they have some other post in mind for him)
2. The players will be well aware he is about to be sacked, what respect will they have for him?
3. I think his continued presence, however short, will have a negative impact on many fans at a time when the owners wish to send out a positive message
4. Based on his performance last season I have zero confidence in him putting out a team at Rotherham that is the best from the players available
5. I have no desire to attend one more game where his negative approach is on display.

I agree he needs to go now the football is dire and if he stays a couple of bad results and the crowd will turn

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I too agree that team performances from January onwards were dire, however I am coming round to the idea that Jackett's remit, given the turmoil the club was in, with the sale and the injuries we had was to keep us in the division at any cost and given our limited attacking resources, he decided to shut up shop. Yes it was dross to watch but can we blame him ? the alternative does not bear thinking about.

D

Deleted member 3518

I too agree that team performances from January onwards were dire, however I am coming round to the idea that Jackett's remit, given the turmoil the club was in, with the sale and the injuries we had was to keep us in the division at any cost and given our limited attacking resources, he decided to shut up shop. Yes it was dross to watch but can we blame him ? the alternative does not bear thinking about.

You may be correct but doesn't justify his team selections and, if correct, why when we were safe did he continue with the same approach? An approach that has been replicated in this season's friendlies.

G

German Wolf

Originally Posted by wolves4life View Post

Well said.

Well said. But it's not just the manager, let's get those coaches upgraded - every last $$$$er out!

This autumn it will be 50 years since my first match.

Apart from the period up to about 1982 which ended with Barnwell and Barker, and apart from isolated bursts of enthusiasm for a few matches, I would say that our coaching has simply not been up to scratch ie Premiership level, in many departments. Lets get some effective modern coaching and evidence of it on the park ie defenders who are comfortable on the ball and don't have to hoof or head it miles, let's have one player - just one $$$$ing player - who can take a dangerous shot on goal regularly from a free kick, and also some bloody throw in and corner kick routines which have something about them rather than the epic success of getting the ball closer to the opposition goal.

It's now or never! DO IT!

Last edited by a moderator:

ManningtreeWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I'm not for one minute advocating the back room boys over a brand new manager...simply stating that if we don't get what we want immediately. ..a fresh manager chosen by the new owners...in the interim I'd prefer to take any measure that relieves KJ of his duties..and if that means a few days interim of Edwards taking the reigns then so be it. KJ is on borrowed time so they might as well pull the trigger now IMO

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we've all just had enough of this regime. Clearly the set up doesn't work. I'd leave Thelwell to look after the academy and that's about it.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I'm not for one minute advocating the back room boys over a brand new manager...simply stating that if we don't get what we want immediately. ..a fresh manager chosen by the new owners...in the interim I'd prefer to take any measure that relieves KJ of his duties..and if that means a few days interim of Edwards taking the reigns then so be it. KJ is on borrowed time so they might as well pull the trigger now IMO

Jacko is the safety valve if they can't bring in their choices.....you don't want to disable it too early.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's normal for some to worry about what they can't predict or control, but my advice to you is enjoy the renaissance, it's going to be wild ride.

Nobody could predict or control what has ever happened at Wolves - particularly last season under Jackett.

Back
Top Bottom