Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spend or save

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the potential sale of star players perhaps bringing in £20 million I just wonder if we should rush out and spend it all! I know if the papers say we have received X and if we spend less the usual posters will be quick with conspiracy theories (it's either going in Morgan/Moxeys pocket or it's to pay for the new stand). However can we really invest that sort of money on players while in the Championship. £10 million could bring in 3 or 4 top championship players and we aren't going to attract an equal to Fletch as a championship club. Keeping a decent sum back would give us a start should we get promotion.
What I'm trying to say is there any point in bringing in say 7or 8 good championship players who will mostly struggle if we go up? Our squad is already full of them!

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the potential sale of star players perhaps bringing in £20 million I just wonder if we should rush out and spend it all! I know if the papers say we have received X and if we spend less the usual posters will be quick with conspiracy theories (it's either going in Morgan/Moxeys pocket or it's to pay for the new stand). However can we really invest that sort of money on players while in the Championship. £10 million could bring in 3 or 4 top championship players and we aren't going to attract an equal to Fletch as a championship club. Keeping a decent sum back would give us a start should we get promotion.
What I'm trying to say is there any point in bringing in say 7or 8 good championship players who will mostly struggle if we go up? Our squad is already full of them!

No, but if we dont get any more players in (i.e. if we lose say Fletcher, Jarvis and Kightly) we wont have that problem as we will be in the championchip the following season.

If those three leave we need to bring 3 in although doesn't have to be the same positions, ie could be CH, CM, and old No. 10 position.

EDIT : My worry is that SS wants to work with 22/23 players, even if those 3 go that still leaves 28 - Who else will be going? Is the amount of players in the squad down to SS or the board?

Last edited by a moderator:

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EDIT : My worry is that SS wants to work with 22/23 players, even if those 3 go that still leaves 28 - Who else will be going? Is the amount of players in the squad down to SS or the board?

I think that's 22/23 outfield players he wants to work with not including the keepers

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We clearly will need to spend some serious money if we lose Fletch, Jarvis and Kites!

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I won't be too surprised if a portion of the £20 million you mention rincewind, say 50%, will be put towards the new Steve Bull stand, leaving Stale with ten million quid to bolster his squad.

The new Steve Bull stand is going to cost at least £24 million, perhaps a few million more upon completion.

Where else are Wolves going to find that kind of quick hard cash to help pay for the stand, unless Steve Morgan dips in to his own pocket, or sells a shed load of houses.

W

we8wba

Maynard 2m, Redmond 4-5m would be my replacement for striker and winger departing

Leaves us 8-10m up and more If Jarvis went not kites

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maynard 2m, Redmond 4-5m would be my replacement for striker and winger departing

Leaves us 8-10m up and more If Jarvis went not kites

I think he'll buy from abroad where he can get as good players for a lot less money

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will certainly buy from abroad as we have already proven.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You think selling of assets to pay for a new stand is a conspiracy theory!!! Its just a fairly standard business approach as far as I can see. Morgan has made it clear he wont put in his own money so how else is he going to raise the capital?

A

andyc225

We can get far more for our money by buying gems from obscure foreign clubs. If we're going to work within a tight budget for transfers both in the Championship and in the Prem, we have to get the best possible value for money. As I said in a different post, Harry Homegrown doesn't provide that.

B

Batman

I think Stale may actually want one or two of the big guns to go so that he can have the extra money to spend.

He mentions Jarvis and Fletcher a lot in his interviews and how they will go if the right price is put forward. I think he knows if they go he'll get 10+ million and i reckon he knows straight away who he'll be spending it on.

D

Deleted member 4023

Staale will bring in players that can play his system. As its more or less a continental system, its odds on that most of our squad players will be players comfy with that style (who will probably come from Europe) or players that he can 'mould' from our youth/development squads.
We won't have shed loads of cash to spend on replacements either as some believe.

A

andyc225

We won't have shed loads of cash to spend on replacements either as some believe.

And I wouldn't blame Morgan if he didn't sanction that much money at this stage. Just think what all the money MM wasted on crappy players could've been spent on.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we spend a bit of money on a decent centre back, and a decent left back, i'll be happy. Keep the rest of the money in the bank for if we return to the Premiership.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We clearly will need to spend some serious money if we lose Fletch, Jarvis and Kites!

We are a championship side so it doesn't really matter how much money we have as quality players aren't going to come here. We can get players with potential, players who didn't quite make the step up or players on the way down. Last thing we want to do is spend lots of money on average players just because we have some money.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There is alot of debate on how much we should accept for Jarvis/Fletcher with posters saying we should accept x amount whilst other posters stating we should hold out for a few million more.

Bottom line is if we collected 20 million or 10 million for the pair that money wouldn`t get reinvested in the team so does it really matter from a playing perspective how much we get? We all know we will spend a max of around 3-5 million with missed targets, high hopes for January transfer window spending our "15 million" or whatever it is that wont be matched. Some people spend too much time playing football manager where the money goes straight into the transfer budget and it`s completely unrealistic to think we will spend more than half the fees generated from Fletcher/Jarvis.

I hope we keep the pair regardless but I expect both to leave, with a nominal amount spent on "replacements" that no one has heard of, a tale from Moxey appearing in the express and star how we missed targets due to our championship status, a mid table finish and record profits for redrow next summer.....completely unrelated of course.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can get far more for our money by buying gems from obscure foreign clubs. If we're going to work within a tight budget for transfers both in the Championship and in the Prem, we have to get the best possible value for money. As I said in a different post, Harry Homegrown doesn't provide that.

Spot on, see Newcastle.

captain chaos

Groupie
Reaction score

Personall i would spend every penny of money brought in through sales and more. The money generated through sales should be spent on transfer fees for incoming players. To add to that the players brought in would then be placed on Championship wages as opposed to reduced premiership wages.

It is often said we are financial sound so lets leave the bank balance alone and use all transfer monies for team improvements/replacements.

S

SimplyTheWolves

If we pull in £20 mil from player sales I doubt very much we will invest any more than half that on replacements, which is all well and good if Stale gets who he wants. The new Steve Bull needs funding and the team even at this stage with no influential outgoings still needs rebuilding for the future, so the club once again need to get things right.

The money from sales might look good on paper but finding suitable replacements for the long term will take some doing. Now is the time to get these replacements in while the market is still relatively simmering, when it starts to come to the boil £10 mil will seem like 4 or 5.

L

luckyjim

If we pull in £20 mil from player sales I doubt very much we will invest any more than half that on replacements, which is all well and good if Stale gets who he wants. The new Steve Bull needs funding and the team even at this stage with no influential outgoings still needs rebuilding for the future, so the club once again need to get things right.

The money from sales might look good on paper but finding suitable replacements for the long term will take some doing. Now is the time to get these replacements in while the market is still relatively simmering, when it starts to come to the boil £10 mil will seem like 4 or 5.

Is that you Morgan? :D

D

Dewsburywolf

Why do people think the majority of our transfer buys are "undisclosed"? How about if the teams we buy players from know we've got circa £20 million in our kitty they'll stick a few million on their players' price tag? Who was around in the mid to late 90's when we were buying the likes of Goodman, Curle, Thomas etc, players who cost more than they were actually worth for just this reason

V

vega recollection

i tend to think of all modern day politicians as misguided and untrustworthy,but we really MUST spend more on defence.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are a championship side so it doesn't really matter how much money we have as quality players aren't going to come here. We can get players with potential, players who didn't quite make the step up or players on the way down. Last thing we want to do is spend lots of money on average players just because we have some money.

When I mean serious money I mean serious money by championship standards.
We have been linked with Traore for £3 million. That is serious money for a championship club!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Which is why it would be a ridiculous decision to sell any of the three players that have been mentioned. (unless it is an equally ridiculous offer)

M

Mr Zuki

You think selling of assets to pay for a new stand is a conspiracy theory!!! Its just a fairly standard business approach as far as I can see. Morgan has made it clear he wont put in his own money so how else is he going to raise the capital?

He hasn't has he? Did I miss something?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He said: “There was a groundswell of expectations because money had been injected into the club but it was never about a magic wand.

“I was never going to throw money around, particularly when I was learning the job myself. It’s bloody impossible to balance the books at a football club!

“We knew that and it’s as close to being balanced as possible, while trying to fulfil ambitions and move forward.

Here's one quote amongst very many about the need to balance the books as he politely puts it. An interesting aside here is that Morgan is referring to the Championship, when Wolves did spend more than they received over a two year period. Morgan states that he was even trying to balance the books at Championship level. The capital spent over these two years was, however, retrieved in the 9m profits from the first season in the Prem.

Morgan has now used up the bulk of the 30m seed capital he commited when acquiring the club for free in 2007, in building the new NOrth Bank, and improving various other facilities. The logic of the above statement, plus many other similar statements, plus the evidence of Wolves' transfer and wage dealings, confirm that there is no short-term plan to invest fresh capital. So the money to finish the development of the ground and to give Solbakken some operating funds has to come from somewhere. Hence the need to realise assets, and hence the pointlessness of so much discussion around Wolves at the moment about star players staying. The club is looking to raise substantial funds, (up to 40m by my estimates), and is determined to do that.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All these players we need to sell, outside of the decent ones, who on earth is going to want them? We're already stuck with an excessive amount of players for next season who we have to pay wages to. That will drain resources.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am all for spending money but as long as its for quality signings!

M

Mr Zuki

He said: “There was a groundswell of expectations because money had been injected into the club but it was never about a magic wand.

“I was never going to throw money around, particularly when I was learning the job myself. It’s bloody impossible to balance the books at a football club!

“We knew that and it’s as close to being balanced as possible, while trying to fulfil ambitions and move forward.

Here's one quote amongst very many about the need to balance the books as he politely puts it. An interesting aside here is that Morgan is referring to the Championship, when Wolves did spend more than they received over a two year period. Morgan states that he was even trying to balance the books at Championship level. The capital spent over these two years was, however, retrieved in the 9m profits from the first season in the Prem.

Morgan has now used up the bulk of the 30m seed capital he commited when acquiring the club for free in 2007, in building the new NOrth Bank, and improving various other facilities. The logic of the above statement, plus many other similar statements, plus the evidence of Wolves' transfer and wage dealings, confirm that there is no short-term plan to invest fresh capital. So the money to finish the development of the ground and to give Solbakken some operating funds has to come from somewhere. Hence the need to realise assets, and hence the pointlessness of so much discussion around Wolves at the moment about star players staying. The club is looking to raise substantial funds, (up to 40m by my estimates), and is determined to do that.

So I was right then. He hasn't said he won't put his own money in?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uhm, that's what balancing the books means:withstupid:

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a club with a sure financial footing, Morgan ought to be proud of achieving stability and a strong foundation to build on

D

Deleted member 3545

You can have £20m or £100m to spend in the chanpionship or any other division other than the premiership but doesnt mean you can attract the right players and majority of them want tot play in the premiership or any other of the big leagues around the world.

Wolves have tried in the past of spending their way out of the league and its never worked in the past.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people think the majority of our transfer buys are "undisclosed"? How about if the teams we buy players from know we've got circa £20 million in our kitty they'll stick a few million on their players' price tag? Who was around in the mid to late 90's when we were buying the likes of Goodman, Curle, Thomas etc, players who cost more than they were actually worth for just this reason
I thought that Curle at £650k was a great bit of business. Boy could we do with someone like him now.

J

johnybig32

Are there any experienced Centre Halves, ala Carragher, we could try and tempt to improve our defence.

Like how Carlos Bocenegra did at Rangers. Not a spectacular player, but a decent one.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not last time I checked it doesn't.

Do you have an agenda of some kind here?

All I see is Morgan being prudent.

Stop being obtuse. Balancing the books, a constant theme of Morgan's, signifies a need to run a business where outgoings match revenue over relatively shorter periods of time. This is also what we can observe to be Morgan's business practice with Wolves over an extended period of five years.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then you have a fair idea of what it might be.

It is also interesting that a longtime defender of the board at Wolves should suddenly crop up again now!!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time to get spending some money Mr Morgan!

Back
Top Bottom