Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Southend United

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away from the multi million pound world of the premier league, Southend United are in serious trouble.

They are under a transfer embargo, and have 42 days to pay off a petition debt. To make matters worse, Southend have had to call off two pre season friendlies as they couldn’t raise a team. The National League have also not yet decided whether to allow Southend to stay in the league. The owner is trying to sell the club, but has not done so yet.

The clock is ticking, and are Southend United going to be allowed to die? I certainly hope not, and today some of their fans have been on a protest march against clubs owner. Hopefully there is a way back for Southend United, but it doesn’t look good.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've had a ridiculous number of let offs, no idea how they managed to make it through last season, but it's a matter of when rather than if at this point before they reform.

My understanding is the debt astronomical, the ground is completely dilapidated, it's a pretty naff situation for a side that should be around League One level.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus despite the debt being so high, the owner won't sell.

Gut feeling is he wants the land for development (as more leave London, Southend is a popular destination given yoy can get central London under an hour).

D

Deleted member (smith)

Natural selection …RIP…FFP is an attempt to make clubs sustainable and not dependent on a owners deep pockets…football has no divine right to survive if it is not sustained by the fans

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't the issue begin around COVID?

Southend have had problems for several years, but they have accelerated since COVID. Ron Martin, the owner, wants to sell, but one interested party have backed down, presumably after seeing the clubs accounts.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would give a little back if West Ham, with their Southend links, were to help after their transformation in attendances thanks to their stadium gift.
Had the misfortune to live there for a few years. Most locals would go to Roots Hall for a laugh on a Friday night, then to the Boleyn on Saturday for some proper footie. Agreed, West Ham could acknowledge this relationship by helping to bail the Shrimpers out. Wouldn't cost them anything significant.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southend have had problems for several years, but they have accelerated since COVID. Ron Martin, the owner, wants to sell, but one interested party have backed down, presumably after seeing the clubs accounts.
Well I don't think anyone actually owns anything. I can't remember whats stopping Roots Hall being knocked down but the club doesn't own it, infact, it doesn't own anything.

Loads of debt, no assets. Recipe for disaster.

Council aren't going to help with and getting another area for a ground in Southend I'd imagine is an issue given as mentioned, it (and other parts nearby in Essex) are a major destination for those leaving London.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never forgiven em for beating us in that Friday night game in the 80s .......(it's a joke by the way). Whatever we do that game will still be in me top 10 games following wolves. ..it was epic. .

Outside of the premier league the football pyramid is struggling.... We've definitely lost direction in what the games means in this country. . . We all guilty I suppose in some ways. .

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never forgiven em for beating us in that Friday night game in the 80s .......(it's a joke by the way). Whatever we do that game will still be in me top 10 games following wolves. ..it was epic. .

Outside of the premier league the football pyramid is struggling.... We've definitely lost direction in what the games means in this country. . . We all guilty I suppose in some ways. .
Everytime I see or hear Southend I always think of that Friday night game too. I was there and the defeat cost us an automatic promotion place. But agree lets hope they pull through and survive.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everytime I see or hear Southend I always think of that Friday night game too. I was there and the defeat cost us an automatic promotion place. But agree lets hope they pull through and survive.
It was an epic game..... certainly entertaining......as I say up there with any game.

It's a shame what's happening in the football pyramid.. although we are in it , I hate the premier league with a passion really ....

As I say wem all guilty in some ways I suppose...we should use local shops instead of clicking on Amazon but we don't do we...it's only the same. .

Last edited:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is something sticking in my mind about driving around Wolves on one occasion and seeing the ground emptying and fans looking unhappy, so inthought we had list, but when I checked ceefax....I know...we had won. I think it may have been the 5 nil win in 1994.....

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to work from time to time at Shoeburyness and I stayed in Southend. We would drive past Roots Hall on the way to the guest house. At that time ( 1990 to about 1994 ) they had Stan Collymore and Ricky Otto as well as some other really good players and were a middle of the table Championship side.

I also remember being in pub in Southend and a certain Shane Westley was there ! He looked a man not to be trifled with, which he was, just ask a certain Vinny Jones !

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is something sticking in my mind about driving around Wolves on one occasion and seeing the ground emptying and fans looking unhappy, so inthought we had list, but when I checked ceefax....I know...we had won. I think it may have been the 5 nil win in 1994.....

If Wolves fans were looking unhappy ( now there is a rarity ! ) after a Southend game it could be the 1994 1-0 home defeat on Saturday February 12th. I was at that game and seem to remember it was when I began to think ( I was not alone in this ) that Darren Ferguson was an utter waste of £300,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listen in all seriousness Southend have done most of the damage to themselves.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southend United had the fifth best attendances in the national league last season, averaging over 6,000 per game. That is very decent indeed for that level, so what happened to all that revenue?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Live in Southend myself and saw the protest earlier outside Ron’s house coming back from shopping. Such a loyal fan base but Ron Martin is a horrendous guy feel sorry for them
Live in Southend as well? My condolences.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Natural selection …RIP…FFP is an attempt to make clubs sustainable and not dependent on a owners deep pockets…football has no divine right to survive if it is not sustained by the fans
Their support is good enough to sustain a league side, as it did for many a year. I agree owners shouldn't be bailed out, but it's completely unfair on their loyal support.

I lived next door to their main home pub, the Spread Eagle, for a couple of years, and they've got decent fans, far better than the gob****es round there who support West Ham and Spurs.

Hope they somehow turn it round. Tbh, it might not end up being the worst thing providing they keep the ground and reform as a phoenix club. The planned move was a terrible idea, and would've meant the slow death of the club imo.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was like the football equivalent of apocalypse now.
I'm too young for that one (went there around 95 though in a discount away fans corner, cost about a fiver I think) but when I lived there I got chatting with an older Southend lad while watching us away in Europe :) on the tele. He said our fans were some of the nuttiest they've 'entertained' down there. I always seem to live in places where we have a bit of a reputation... before that it was Norwich/Great Yarmouth and I now live in Sheffield where we're not exactly popular with Blades or Owls.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had the misfortune to live there for a few years. Most locals would go to Roots Hall for a laugh on a Friday night, then to the Boleyn on Saturday for some proper footie. Agreed, West Ham could acknowledge this relationship by helping to bail the Shrimpers out. Wouldn't cost them anything significant.
Well they've just got 105m so could spare a million or two.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their support is good enough to sustain a league side, as it did for many a year. I agree owners shouldn't be bailed out, but it's completely unfair on their loyal support.

I lived next door to their main home pub, the Spread Eagle, for a couple of years, and they've got decent fans, far better than the gob****es round there who support West Ham and Spurs.

Hope they somehow turn it round. Tbh, it might not end up being the worst thing providing they keep the ground and reform as a phoenix club. The planned move was a terrible idea, and would've meant the slow death of the club imo.
I like their fan base. Plus it's the only derby up this way. Only time you'll see a police presence!

What do we think of Southend? ****..

What do you think of ****? Southend

Ahh, fun.

Reaction score
If Wolves fans were looking unhappy ( now there is a rarity ! ) after a Southend game it could be the 1994 1-0 home defeat on Saturday February 12th. I was at that game and seem to remember it was when I began to think ( I was not alone in this ) that Darren Ferguson was an utter waste of £300,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I remember that game - Otto scored the only goal.

Back
Top Bottom