Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Something has to change

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure I see the market, Newcastle about the only club or perhaps a newly promoted one who plays a 3 at the back?
No idea myself either, Newcastle rumours were made a while back though.

T

TheConcourse

It's not a tough call. If Nuno didn't get away with last season despite three outstanding seasons in the bank Lage should be heading back to Portugal a week on Monday on a one-way ticket. There is no evidence he is the man to turn things around. The players clearly aren't playing for him, the defence gets worse week on week and we make it up as we go along when in possession. Teams have worked out how to stop us playing and he's got no answer to it. He plays Hwang repeatedly when a blind man can see he's not a PL player, he's been reluctant to play Silva despite Raul being very poor. Toti showed today he is a better option than Boly or Saiss and he will get better whilst the latter decline. As a coach he has no obvious redeeming features and he has reached the "don't know what to do to stop the rot" phase he reached at Benfica. Get rid or we'll go down next season.
Really interesting isn’t it? There’s very little data to suggest that Bruno can ride the wave of a crisis. The last time it happened he resigned.

I’m looking at his body language now, and looking at how the players are responding. I don’t think he’s lost them, but he appears to be incredibly frustrated with them. Even the best man managers would struggle to turn this around, and whilst he’s clearly got big ambitions, I’m wondering whether he’s got the softer skills to be successful consistently in this game.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nearly 50 years on and the parallels with the early1970’s are uncanny. Back then, the club’s failure to adequately replace key players triggered a rapid demise and eventual relegation. If the club mess up recruitment this summer, a tough season could be in the cards. With Scott Sellars at the wheel I fear the worst.
The difference being that we did't have any money then, while now technically we do.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The difference being that we did't have any money then, while now technically we do.
forget the money, they are still parallels with today. Our last significant recruitment followed promotion in 2018. If wholesale departures do materialise this summer, we will face the consequence of recent barren transfer windows.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go back and read my post again, I think you misunderstand. We had a great team in the early 70’s on the verge of something special. But the abysmal recruitment that followed, i.e., failure to adequately replace Bailey, Dogan, Waggy, Parkes, McCalliog and a few others, led to relegation in 1975/76. Considering the success of early 70’s , that was a pretty rapid decline and one totally down to high-level mismanagement.
Need to say what you mean more clearly mate.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before we buy anyone they should loan out or sell hwang for a loss. He adds nothing to the squad, can't trap a ball, loses most duels and is the opposite of his nickname 'the bull'.
Rip it up start again.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I’m sure you said that last summer as well
To be fair my no.1 priority after appointing an untried manager to change the style of play without any real investment, was to avoid relegation.

Feel a bit bad being ungrateful for a top half finish. BUT there has been no development, we're an even more boring version of the same team.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I predict as it is our objective…we will be saying it a lot
Unless something dramatic happens in either direction that next season we’ll be what we are again, a middle of the table premier league side.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
It's not a tough call. If Nuno didn't get away with last season despite three outstanding seasons in the bank Lage should be heading back to Portugal a week on Monday on a one-way ticket. There is no evidence he is the man to turn things around. The players clearly aren't playing for him, the defence gets worse week on week and we make it up as we go along when in possession. Teams have worked out how to stop us playing and he's got no answer to it. He plays Hwang repeatedly when a blind man can see he's not a PL player, he's been reluctant to play Silva despite Raul being very poor. Toti showed today he is a better option than Boly or Saiss and he will get better whilst the latter decline. As a coach he has no obvious redeeming features and he has reached the "don't know what to do to stop the rot" phase he reached at Benfica. Get rid or we'll go down next season.
The problem with this is that with one game remaining Lage has improved on every metric from last season with arguably a weaker squad.
More points, more goals scored, less conceded and a higher position guaranteed.
I agree with you that he shows worrying signs but the call isn't as easy as you make out in my opinion.

rubyloo

Reaction score
The problem with this is that with one game remaining Lage has improved on every metric from last season with arguably a weaker squad.
I agree with you that he shows worrying signs but the call isn't as easy as you make out in my opinion.
And there lies the paradox; it's actually been a good season, but it doesn't 'feel' like it's been a good season.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And there lies the paradox; it's actually been a good season, but it doesn't 'feel' like it's been a good season.
Because we haven't recorded a single win in the final 2 months of the season. If we'd have ended in better form and on a high it might have felt different.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
Because we haven't recorded a single win in the final 2 months of the season. If we'd have ended in better form and on a high it might have felt different.
Didn't we beat Villa last month? It has been a shocking ending to a promising season though. Can't be denied at all

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So if the results over the last 10 games-or-so had been evenly spread over the season and the stinkers had been interspersed with our 15 wins and 6 draws and we'd still ended with 51 pts and 8th/9th place. Would that have been considered a successful season?

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didn't we beat Villa last month? It has been a shocking ending to a promising season though. Can't be denied at all
Yes, 2nd April. Lose next week, which is very likely, best part of 2 months. And 4 months until we get the chance to record another one!

So if the results over the last 10 games-or-so had been evenly spread over the season and the stinkers had been interspersed with our 15 wins and 6 draws and we'd still ended with 51 pts and 8th/9th place. Would that have been considered a successful season?
Good question. I don't know if it would be considered successful but it would be viewed a bit differently I think if there were signs of improvement late in the season and we were performing well.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, 2nd April. Lose next week, which is very likely, best part of 2 months. And 4 months until we get the chance to record another one!

Good question. I don't know if it would be considered successful but it would be viewed a bit differently I think if there were signs of improvement late in the season and we were performing well.
I wonder what the opinion would be if our first three games had been our final three. So we'd been "unexciting", "boring", "uninspiring", whatever for 35 games, but still had 51 points, then we'd finished the season with three hugely exciting, attacking performances but scored none and lost all three 1-0?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes it would have been viewed differently,and yes its still been a relatively good season,any top half finish in this league is good
Its the cliff edge fall off in performances thats the problem,with seemingly no desire to pull out from it

Almost 4 months of poor performances cant be discounted
Yes theres been the odd half a game where we looked much better,and that only adds to the conundrum
Why cant we replicate that kind of play more often and sustain the levels?

We genuinely dont seem fit enough,and over the last 4/5 seasons thats been our forte,finishing strongly no matter what,that has almost totally gone now
Either the training has changed , the players cant be bothered ,or the manager has lost the dressing room

All these things can be fixed,but it needs investment on a big scale this summer on and off the pitch
Im sure the owners can see this,its whether they want to throw the dice one more time,or let us gradually decline

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes it would have been viewed differently,and yes its still been a relatively good season,any top half finish in this league is good
Its the cliff edge fall off in performances thats the problem,with seemingly no desire to pull out from it

Almost 4 months of poor performances cant be discounted
Yes theres been the odd half a game where we looked much better,and that only adds to the conundrum
Why cant we replicate that kind of play more often and sustain the levels?

We genuinely dont seem fit enough,and over the last 4/5 seasons thats been our forte,finishing strongly no matter what,that has almost totally gone now
Either the training has changed , the players cant be bothered ,or the manager has lost the dressing room

All these things can be fixed,but it needs investment on a big scale this summer on and off the pitch
Im sure the owners can see this,its whether they want to throw the dice one more time,or let us gradually decline
Agreed.

The big debate seems to be whether Bruno should be given the opportunity to oversee that large-scale investment. Would allowing a new manager with different ideas to do that be any less of a gamble?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never easy to know how long to give a manager but given we’re in need of a significant rebuild I’d rather trust someone with a more proven record. The longer Lage has been here the more questions there are about his ability and the drop off in form of late has been dramatic both in terms of results and performances.

rubyloo

Reaction score
The away fans have had a few 'limbs' moments but molineux has been dismal all season. Even when we won we were usually hanging on by a thread at the end. And to put the top hat on it there was the Leeds experience, which still haunts me.

It's funny when you look how Everton's relegation battle seems to have galvanized the club while we sit in 8th place bored to tears

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The away fans have had a few 'limbs' moments but molineux has been dismal all season. Even when we won we were usually hanging on by a thread at the end. And to put the top hat on it there was the Leeds experience, which still haunts me.

It's funny when you look how Everton's relegation battle seems to have galvanized the club while we sit in 8th place bored to tears

Everton's away form is what has seen them in the predicament they are in. They are 11th in the 'home' table. We are 14th.

7 wins, 3 draws and 9 defeats from our 19 home games, with only 20 goals scored.

There's few teams in the league that are a worse watch at the moment.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

The big debate seems to be whether Bruno should be given the opportunity to oversee that large-scale investment. Would allowing a new manager with different ideas to do that be any less of a gamble?
Personally i dont think a new manager would be any more of a gamble than sticking with one that has failed to progress with what he has
I know theres an argument that Bruno hasnt been given the backing so far to implement his style how he wants,but he has had a decent squad of players and so far has not improved them at all,if anything they have regressed
There seems something not quite right with him and the players,i dont see the unity we once had

Of course we have had injuries, every club gets them, thats the purpose of a squad and the reason you need a good manager
Im not by any means saying bring back Nuno,he too had his faults and lost the drive he had for whatever reason
I do believe there comes a point where you just have to say sorry,this isnt working and move on,whether Fosun think that at this point idk,but they surely must be very worried about next season ,unless they invest on and off the pitch i fear we will struggle

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably. What we have seen instead though is a trend of increasingly poor and apparently disinterested performances.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably. What we have seen instead though is a trend of increasingly poor and apparently disinterested performances.
I think what I see is group of players who know that either they, or a fair few that they've played with for the last 3, 4, 5 years are leaving and they're probably a bit sad about it. At the same time they've lost a few games which has knocked their confidence as well. They probably recognise it's probably the "end of an era" (for want of a better description) the same way us fans do.

They play better in fits and starts when they get stung by harsh criticism and/or are chasing the game but can't sustain it for longer periods at the moment.

Yes big changes are needed this summer however I'm not convinced the manager should be one of them.

Back
Top Bottom