Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So how does interviewing Wolves manager/ coach (and their support teams) work?

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We understand Nuno's departure did not happen overnight with disgruntled board members all calling for his sacking after one defeat too many and then meeting again on Monday morning to look at who are the potential candidates. Rather, judging by what's been reported I understand his succession plan was well underway some months ago.

1. Do they just do lots of statistics analysis, get reports from scouts, then evaluate and use agents like they would with any footballer to find out who is available and let the agent do the selling?

2. Do managers show up just like they would for an (elite level) job interview a bit like on a video game? Talk about their strengths and what they can bring to the job at Wolves, answer difficult problem questions like what they would do to turn Podence into a centre back or how they would play against Man City for a win, and then go down the road for their next interview at Spurs, then Crystal Palace, consider their offers, remuneration etc ?

3. Or is it more like winning a project appointment or tender? Do they get asked to present a proposal that meets the clubs requirements in advance? Do they and their team spend quite some time in advance developing and then presenting a proposal to Wolves? Setting out their values, their vision, measurable goals, KPI? Setting out how they will develop the team and with what methods? A time scale for delivery? etc

Last edited:

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff: Jorge, who've you got next for us on your books?

Jorge: Well, how about Bruno Lage? Won the league with Benfica and no compensation to pay. He's also Portuguese, so can relate to the majority of the players easily.

Jeff: Will the football be different to Nuno's?

Jorge: For sure, he likes to attack.

Jeff: Perfect, that's that settled then. Now, which of your players are we signing this summer?

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was wondering who at Wolves would actually be taking the interviews. Jeff, of course, but who else? I guess Scott Sellars would be involved but it's a bit of an indictment of how we've dismantled the staff at the club with real football knowledge and experience.
surely Fosun's management are all involved. Huge decision worth the same as 5-10 players but less certain whether cash buys you success:

£££££ on Mbappe or C Ronaldo and a few more = probable success
£££££ on Ancelotti or Mourinho or Guardiola or any other one manager = questionable

how do you assess if they are past their sell by date? a good fit? it's not so much about a transfer budget

are you buying a good CV and personality that you as a club use and develop a bit like a regular management appointment?
or are you buying a contractor to deliver a project?

Last edited:

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect Fosun have looked at our history and got on board with how we, as a club, do things. So they will be looking at our relatively successful last four years and ask the following question of any candidate for the job.
"We have been successful for the last few years and now is the time for change, so can you tell us how exactly you will **** things up totally within the next 18months"

It's the wolves way.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jorge: Well, how about Bruno Lage? Won the league with Benfica and no compensation to pay. He's also Portuguese, so can relate to the majority of the players easily.

Jeff: Perfect, that's that settled then. Now, which of your players are we signing this summer?
Probably quite close to the truth

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
surely Fosun's management are all involved. Huge decision worth the same as 5-10 players but less certain whether cash buys you success:

£££££ on Mbappe or C Ronaldo and a few more = probable success
£££££ on Ancelotti or Mourinho or Guardiola or any other one manager = questionable

how do you assess if they are past their sell by date? a good fit? it's not so much about a transfer budget

are you buying a good CV and personality that you as a club use and develop a bit like a regular management appointment?
or are you buying a contractor to deliver a project?
Andy Pan involved I would assume. He was certainly involved previously and on China tour

( no jokes about who is pulling his strings please!)

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like all interviews. You get a recruitment consultant to ask them "Why do you want the job?" and "What are your strengths and weaknesses?". Then you pay the consultant lots of money.

I do like the idea of it being like an interview for Tesco's or somesuch, with questions like "If someone buys three cabbages for 82p each, how much change would you get from £10?", "Which Mario Kart character would you be?" and "Do you have any holidays booked?"

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a slight tangent, when Cloughie went for the England managers job he and the other candidates were waiting in reception, when one of the old boys from the FA arrived (part of the interview committee) and ventured towards the stairs.
Cloughie calls out "I'd take the lift if I were you, you'll never make it up there"

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume Shi and Fosun have had a list and after they agree on their first possible, they give him or his agent a call and establish if there is an interest.
Before meeting in person, probably more phone calls to see if there are common ideas and expectations.
As it moves forward, most likely legal teams from both sides would be vetting the candidate and checking for any legal roadblocks.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it just the Mendes caroussel in full action?

Gattuso leaves Napoli for Fiorentina
Conceicao leaves Porto for Napoli
Nuno leaves Wolves for Porto

Then either

Mourinho leaves Spurs for Roma
Fonseca leaves Roma for Wolves

Or

Lage brought into Wolves

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do like the idea of it being like an interview for Tesco's or somesuch, with questions like "If someone buys three cabbages for 82p each, how much change would you get from £10?", "Which Mario Kart character would you be?" and "Do you have any holidays booked?"

:p

Or a logic puzzle like:

"A football team exists where the fastest player won't pass to the youngest player. Portugese players always play best alongside other Portugese. The Mexican is the only player who can score goals. The slowest player shouts the most in a language nobody understands. One player is not Portugese, but he is a traffic cone and doesn't ever move. The shortest player is not Mexican, but he is always the best or the worst on the pitch. "

"Explain why that team never leads at half time. Show your working. Bonus points for mentioning Futsall".

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably quite close to the truth
As I was typing it, I was thinking 'this really doesn't seem nearly as far-fetched as it should'.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
:p

Or a logic puzzle like:

"A football team exists where the fastest player won't pass to the youngest player. Portugese players always play best alongside other Portugese. The Mexican is the only player who can score goals. The slowest player shouts the most in a language nobody understands. One player is not Portugese, but he is a traffic cone and doesn't ever move. The shortest player is not Mexican, but he is always the best or the worst on the pitch. "

"Explain why that team never leads at half time. Show your working. Bonus points for mentioning Futsall".
Well played. Deserves more than one like per person.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well played. Deserves more than one like per person.

When interviewing for our manager, they really have to ask: "so why do you think Wolves have such a consistently poor record in the first half and what would you do about it?" Get the first half matching the second half and we are top 6 contenders :)

Give it to the guy with the best answer. If they don't ask that, they aren't doing their job properly!

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it just the Mendes caroussel in full action?

Gattuso leaves Napoli for Fiorentina
Conceicao leaves Porto for Napoli
Nuno leaves Wolves for Porto

Then either

Mourinho leaves Spurs for Roma
Fonseca leaves Roma for Wolves

Or

Lage brought into Wolves
Fonseca has been heavily linked to Fiorentina.... So could be one of Gattuso and Lage for Wolves

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give it to the guy with the best answer.
I get what you're saying, but I don't want a guy who is good at answering interview questions, I want someone who is going to deliver the goods in the job. Too many jobs are given to people who are good at talking the talk, but lousy at walking the walk. Paul Lambert was just such a candidate who got given a job by us because he talked a good game but the actual results were pretty lamentable.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Instead of ‘sell me this pen’, it’s ‘sell me this fop haired 18 year old’

Ugh. In my youth, I foolishly applied for a direct sales job, and that was part of the initial interview.
Walked straight out.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They ask Uncle Jorge for a paragraph or two on the bloke he's chosen ready to brief the press.

Back
Top Bottom