Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sir Jack V Morgan

D

Deleted member 4008

Are we any further forward with Morgan in charge than we were under Sir Jack.

Yes we have a new stand and training facility , But on the flip side Sir Jack rebuilt Molineux with a new ticket office and Club shop.

The financial side , Sir Jack did not feel he could invest as much that was needed to move us forward. Morgan adding one player in Johnson having a tight wage structure with the same coaches and Scouting network. I am struggerling to see where we have moved forward.

I wonder would Morgan sell Wolves for £10 if/when he leaves?.

A

andyc225

Well, with the opening of the new stand we'll be getting a new club shop and ticket office. We also have planning permission for 2 new stands as well as plans drawn up for a new BW.

On that side, things aren't looking too bad.

D

Deleted member 4008

Well, with the opening of the new stand we'll be getting a new club shop and ticket office. We also have planning permission for 2 new stands as well as plans drawn up for a new BW.

On that side, things aren't looking too bad.

I agree with that point , but is that not what Sir Jack did to a slightly lesser extent. And if the ground capacity is increased where will the new fans come from if we are not prepared to pay for the wages of top players. we lost over 2000 people on the early bird sales so that means we will have less fans in Molineux next season.

P

Penk Wolf

I can't remember spending 3 seasons in the PL under Sir Jack. For what it is worth, I think Sir Jack let us down the year we got promoted more than Morgan has at any point.

D

Deleted member 4008

I can't remember spending 3 seasons in the PL under Sir Jack. For what it is worth, I think Sir Jack let us down the year we got promoted more than Morgan has at any point.

Penk I am not arguing here but what do you mean when you say Sir Jack let us down . In what way did he let us down?. I am just trying to compare the two really and it interests me.

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the only positives I can think about the current situation is that this will be a valuable lesson to Morgan about life in the PL and running a football club.

If he still has the aim of owning the club long term (which I think he does) then perhaps he needed this to focus his mind. He's new to the position of owning a football team, inexperienced, and had it pretty good at Wolves - promoted after two seasons - stayed in the PL for three years (albeit badly!) and will no doubt have benefited financially from it. I'm very interested to see what the reaction will be.

P

Penk Wolf

Penk I am not arguing here but what do you mean when you say Sir Jack let us down . In what way did he let us down?. I am just trying to compare the two really and it interests me.

Only giving Jones 5 million to spend. We had about as much chance of staying up as Mick did at Sunderland.

D

Deleted member 3545

Agree with you there Gappy mate. SJH also mentioned that once Wolves got promotion he was going to float the club to raise cash.

think it was mentioned on the DJ thread that DJ was asked how much would he need for staying in the prem, mid table, top half, europe and champs etc DJ gave SJH an amount for each senerio and was give a pathetic £5m

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anglian Wolf

I love Sir Jack and will always be grateful for the selfless work he did in rescuing us from the dark depths of the division four and ruin post the Bhatti crooks era. He rebuilt the ground, restored our pride and fuelled by Bully's goals took us back to being a good Championship side.

By his own admission, it needed someone else to take over and to take us on to the next level. Morgan was the man who came in to do just that and, to be absolutely fair, he was doing an excellent job of it until his spectacular balls-up post Christmas.

He has brought a sensible balance to the commercial side of the club and he has recognised that if we are ever to become an established side in the top half of Premiership then we would need two things:

i) a ground with a bigger capacity to maintain a higher level of gate income

ii) top flight academy status to enable us to compete at the highest level

In Morgan's short time in charge he has made good progress on both fronts and one of the impressive things has been his willingness to plan and act with the mid to long term interests of the club at heart. Too many clubs only ever act with the short term in mind.

He has also managed to make these moves without saddling the club with a mountain of debt. As I say, extremely impressive stuff.

Unfortunately, all of that great and quiet work vanishes in the face of actions that have inflicted one of the most humiliating chapters in our history on the club and its fans.

The question now is whether Morgan has the stomach and the guile to resurrect his reputation and the forward path of the club over the course of the next 24 months. It will be some time before he wins back the trust and faith of the fans but given time and determination he could succeed.

At some point, however, he will have to begin by coming clean and publicly admitting that he screwed up. Most of us know that he did what he did believing he was acting in the best interests of the club. He got it wrong so admit it, apologise and pledge to put it right starting from next season. It will not take much to get us gullible numpties right behind the club once again.

D

Deleted member 3545

IMHO SM should of sacked MM in the summer and got a manager in who was the next step up so to speak, or if he wanted to keep MM gave him a substantal war cheat in pre-season.
Wolves fluked staying up last season and the club sould of made sure it wouldnt happen again.
Wolves underestimated Swansea and Norwich thinking they would be two of the bottom 3 teams. Also Wolves this season havnt picked up the points against the top 6 teams like last season

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Excellent post Anglian. Sums up my opinions completely.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Great post Anglian

Sir Jack did us proud

Let's hope Morgan can do the same

D

Danwolf

I think both have the right aims for the club but are surrounded by poor advisors. Sir Jack had his idiot son and Morgan has Moxey. Morgan needs to install a football man as technical director or whatever to help advise him in the right way. Ultimately what happens this summer will determine Morgans legacy.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was/am at a loss regarding the lack of backing from SJH in the first GL season. After spending so much over the years to get there it seemed a strange decision not to go the extra few million to try and stay there.

I understand his reticence at the whole chuck-money-at-it culture but it just didn't make sense considering his enthusiasm to get there in the first place.

Still made a huge contribution to the club though and left it in good nick when he left.

By the way he didn't actually save the club it was secure when he came.

I also think SJH was on the right lines with his share flotation thing. Perhaps had he been a younger SJH more would have been achieved.

Morgan has just laid low and run with what he inherited and now some serious problems arise I have concerns about his crediility regarding running a football club.

I have been alarmed at the ego and procrastination shown this seson and the managerial farce shows more serious flaws than I think many realise. The next few months will be revealing.

Of course the real problem is how we allow football clubs to be 'owned' by those with enough clout to use as ego trips/playthings.

I think SJH sort of agrees with my view (share issue thing) that the club should have a much broader 'ownership' giving those who have a true and non-commercial interest more control over decisions. He always seemed to want this type of set-up. That is another argument of course.

In the meantime it is time for those who talk-the-talk to walk-the-walk.

Further forward? The jury is still out for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent post Anglian-sums up my position very nicely.Admitting mistakes and learning from them are what makes a man. We await the response now.

E

Essex Wolf

SJH is a Wolves fan through and through, loves the club and wanted the best for it. He made some mistakes and I believe his love of the club sometimes got in the way of important decisions but his intentions were always right.

Morgan is a non Wolves supporters and seems, to me at least, to be doing what he does not through the love of Wolves.

Bottom line for me is that much as I used to question some of what SJH did I trusted him, Morgan I have no time for at all now.

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SJH is a Wolves fan through and through, loves the club and wanted the best for it. He made some mistakes and I believe his love of the club sometimes got in the way of important decisions but his intentions were always right.

Morgan is a non Wolves supporters and seems, to me at least, to be doing what he does not through the love of Wolves.

Bottom line for me is that much as I used to question some of what SJH did I trusted him, Morgan I have no time for at all now.

Agreed Essex and I was one of SJH'S harshest critics.

These pair of gangsters could give a $$$$ about WWFC and they are the main reason we are championship bound.

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A very good post Anglian Wolf, I am in total agreement with you. We owe Sir Jack a lot for what he achieved to resurrect our team. I do believe that Steve Morgan will continue the improvement work that Sir Jack started. He is a much younger man and hopefully has the money, time and determination to establish Wolves as a Premier League team.

E

Essex Wolf

Agreed Essex and I was one of SJH'S harshest critics.

These pair of gangsters could give a $$$$ about WWFC and they are the main reason we are championship bound.

BILD, short of a massive miracle Wolves are down and Connor just makes himself look and sound a bigger fool every time he now speaks pre or post match.

His promotion to the managers job was wrong on so many fronts it's unbelieveable unless of course you don't care. 1 point from a possible 21 and no clean sheets tells you all you need to know yet still Connor remains, absolute joke.

Upon relegation I believe a lot more will be known as to Morgans intentions and whether they are good or not from a supporters angle.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yes DJ was only given 5M to spend but we also spent 5M on promotion winning bonuses to get there...

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised at the respnses so far as I expected to see Morgan getting slated.
If I start off by saying I have been disappointed in one aspect from both of these owners. That aspect is leadership. It is not just enough to pump money into a club it is important that they oversee the direction of the club.
There is no doubt in my mind that SJH loved this club but his heart ruled his head and he made poor choices in who was to run it. He inherited this club on the way up and turned a shack into a near palace and was probably ahead of his time in this aspect.
However he did not achieve the same progress on the playing side. He did not get the return for the investment made at the time. Dave Jones spent the money mainly on players who were already at their peak and would not get us a return. When we look at the money Jones spent it must be remembered that the money stretched a lot further in those days. Jones legacy should be measured by the squad that were relegated and were heading for Div one.
Morgan I cannot work out yet. Would he run his business like he runs this club? I think not. like some others I hope he will learn from what has gone wrong and see the potential to put it right. I would like to see him be more proactive in a positive way and realise the mistakes he is making by not winning the fans over. Far easier to spot problem areas and head them off than by storming into the changing room.
Morgan needs a plan and good people around him. He also needs to realise that unlike Uncle Jack many will be suspicious of his motives for the club.
SJH has his place in Wolves history whereas Morgan can if he chooses to.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Sir Jack and will always be grateful for the selfless work he did in rescuing us from the dark depths of the division four and ruin post the Bhatti crooks era. He rebuilt the ground, restored our pride and fuelled by Bully's goals took us back to being a good Championship side.

By his own admission, it needed someone else to take over and to take us on to the next level. Morgan was the man who came in to do just that and, to be absolutely fair, he was doing an excellent job of it until his spectacular balls-up post Christmas.

He has brought a sensible balance to the commercial side of the club and he has recognised that if we are ever to become an established side in the top half of Premiership then we would need two things:

i) a ground with a bigger capacity to maintain a higher level of gate income

ii) top flight academy status to enable us to compete at the highest level

In Morgan's short time in charge he has made good progress on both fronts and one of the impressive things has been his willingness to plan and act with the mid to long term interests of the club at heart. Too many clubs only ever act with the short term in mind.

He has also managed to make these moves without saddling the club with a mountain of debt. As I say, extremely impressive stuff.

Unfortunately, all of that great and quiet work vanishes in the face of actions that have inflicted one of the most humiliating chapters in our history on the club and its fans.

The question now is whether Morgan has the stomach and the guile to resurrect his reputation and the forward path of the club over the course of the next 24 months. It will be some time before he wins back the trust and faith of the fans but given time and determination he could succeed.

At some point, however, he will have to begin by coming clean and publicly admitting that he screwed up. Most of us know that he did what he did believing he was acting in the best interests of the club. He got it wrong so admit it, apologise and pledge to put it right starting from next season. It will not take much to get us gullible numpties right behind the club once again.
Spot on.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan I cannot work out yet. Would he run his business like he runs this club? I think not.
I doubt that SJH ran Wolves the same as he did his commercial interests either. There is a difference between football clubs and the real world of 'business'.

Back
Top Bottom