Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Simply the Best

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Just had lunch in a bar in Boston overlooking the harbour, watching the boats with a Fireball whiskey in hand. Perfect scene. Then Tina Turner's track comes on in the background and I am instantly transported back to the Steve Bull stand, August 1993, for a home game versus Middlesbrough (which we lost). Anyone else think of Molineux when they hear this song? Or any other for that matter?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. I sure do. I started going in the early 90s as a kid and was always jealous of the ball boys & girls that got to come on and hold the flags to that song.

The opening few bars to Simply The Best, the Liquidator and Hi Ho Silver Lining will always make me think of Molineux no matter what other teams they may now be associated with.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am in very similar circs here Norwegian Wolf .....

Stuck in the garden, spade in one hand and a glass of luke warm water in the other, up to my plimsoll line in weeds, and I'm reminded of 'Fanfare for the Common Man' ......

...... can't remember if it still features in the Molineux pre amble???

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am in very similar circs here Norwegian Wolf .....

Stuck in the garden, spade in one hand and a glass if luke warm water in the other, up to my plimsoll line in weeds, and I'm reminded of 'Fanfare for the Common Man' ......

...... can't remember if it still features in the Molineux pre amble???

Yes it does, and I should have added that to the list of songs that instantly transport me to Molineux.

S

Staten Island Wolf

They used to play "Day Dream Believer" at half time at reserve games at the Molineux in the 1970s. I cry when I here that song now.

R

Roby Wolf.

Hay Jude ,standing on the North Bank terrace mid winter snowing freezing cold but singing this song to The Doog and him waveing back always brightened up the bleakest of days.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always think of the Wolves when I hear "The Wonder of You" pity the songs $$$$.

A

Anglian Wolf

Hey Jude

Jimmy Mac

Mighty Quinn

Na-na-na-na hey hey goodbye

My Mammy

... am I dating myself :)

H

Hathwolves

Every time simply the best comes on, I feel like raising one hand, and waving to each stand, with the words "please welcome onto the pitch, the Wolverhampton Wanderers ball boys!"

That, and "I'll be your baby tonight" by Robert Palmer and UB40. Transports me back to standing on the south bank as a kid, when we beat leicester 5-0 I think, and I can see the curly haired genius that was Paul Jones in midfield.

molinew

Reaction score
It's great to hear of similar experiences I'm sure we all have. No matter where we are in the world, no matter how beautiful our surroundings, we can so easily be transported back to the place we all secretly call home.

I'm living in Cambridge at the moment, and often go walking in the fields of Grantchester. It's honestly beautiful, but as my mind wanders I often find myself thinking of cold Tuesday night home games against awful mid-table Championship clubs.

The smell of smoke, pies, the sound of shouting voices and the sight of utter mediocrity on an awful pitch. It's like a dream.

I know where I'd rather be every time, no question.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I was in a hotel bar in Westchester , NY and the band were playing and singing a few old songs , suddenly the lead singer ( female ) burst into song ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS A TAVERN , I joined in and got a few strange looks ! [emoji41]

W

wolvesultra

Yep. I sure do. I started going in the early 90s as a kid and was always jealous of the ball boys & girls that got to come on and hold the flags to that song.

The opening few bars to Simply The Best, the Liquidator and Hi Ho Silver Lining will always make me think of Molineux no matter what other teams they may now be associated with.

I'm the same started going properly regularly early to mid 90s always think of the ballboys and also my first Wolves tracksuit (gold and black with a tiny blue trim down it) as they wore those.

Always makes me think of Chris Eubank

His son comes out to it now......cringeworthy

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, "The Happy Wanderer " I love to go a wandering....

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm the same started going properly regularly early to mid 90s always think of the ballboys and also my first Wolves tracksuit (gold and black with a tiny blue trim down it) as they wore those.

His son comes out to it now......cringeworthy

How often does his son come out then as surely you can only come out once?

W

wolvesultra

Cracking little fighter though.

He is to be fair I think a lot of people are quick to dismiss him as see him as just trying to be like his dad. I will be happier when he stops trying to fight like his dad and lets his superior boxing skills show.

P

paleowolf

Just opening few notes from the Liquidator is enough to transport me back to the newly opened North Bank in the 90s. I love that song, and love the new Punjabi Wolves version.
Much better than Silver Lining, but i do understand why it's not acceptable most of the time. I have enough trouble trying to explain/change the last line of "Danny Baath's from..." to my 4 year old.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturday December 30th 1972, White Hart Lane, 2nd Leg Football League Cup, and losing 2-1 from the first leg at Molineux.

Colin Blunstone's "I don't believe in Miracles" playing before the start, and sure enough we went out 4-3 on aggregate after drawing 2-2 (aet).

Strange how a song remains with you decades on.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
And another one - Rockin all over the world, a song I hated for years by Status Quo now takes me back to a sunny day in Cardiff.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every time I hear "I was born under a Wanderin' star" I sing along with the correct lyrics ! All together now " Do you know where hell is !"

JAIRDUCOCHET

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Two things, that song always depresses me, but I had a wonderfull lobster sandwich one morning by the waterfront in Boston, what a wonderfull city, very English styled.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Relate to all of that :)

arooooo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I was in a hotel bar in Westchester , NY and the band were playing and singing a few old songs , suddenly the lead singer ( female ) burst into song ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS A TAVERN , I joined in and got a few strange looks ! [emoji41]
We used to sing that one when I was in summer camp at 7 or 8 years old!!!! Whenever I hear it, some really old stuff comes welling up. (And of course those big grown-up counsellors were probably all of 16 or 17 themselves...!)

Back
Top Bottom