Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

SIGNED: Craig Dawson (West Ham)

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent signing in a position we definitely needed to strengthen.

Loads of Premier League experience and s ores the odd goal as well. Not a gamble and a sensible fee.

4 signings in the January transfer window already and nearly 2 weeks to go. Unheard of!

Matt Hobbs doing a job eh. Just get a goal scorer in and we have had a great window.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit similar to Coady leaving us for Everton and in my book a very shrewd move after the pure folly of allowing Coady, Saiss and Boly all to go last summer. We need an experienced and steadying influence at the back massively.

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
Always a good sign when the fans at a players previous club are gutted they’ve moved on. A leader on & off the pitch. Brilliant signing in my opinion. I suspect Collins will be dropped to the bench, he needs to improve his concentration levels because he makes too many mistakes. Think he’ll be fine in time and players like Dawson will help him.,

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always a good sign when the fans at a players previous club are gutted they’ve moved on. A leader on & off the pitch. Brilliant signing in my opinion. I suspect Collins will be dropped to the bench, he needs to improve his concentration levels because he makes too many mistakes. Think he’ll be fine in time and players like Dawson will help him.,
Albion fans love him too. The guy i work with raves about him.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will help Collins and kilman understand there roles and responsibility. Will steady us and provide a good platform the other two to keep learning

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read some of the Hammers forum. Makes a few mistakes (well hey, we're used to that) but scores goals (well hey, we're not used to that).

Solid signing. Don't expect an amazing defender but a leader who can do a job and hopefully score from set pieces.

May have to play him centre forward at this rate.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him, hope he likes us. Clearly a commited player for west ham.

Mr Jingles

Groupie
Reaction score
Has definitely got a strikers instinct, and from memory scored a cracking overhead goal in the last minute for Watford against Leicester during the pandemic.

I actually remember my dear late dad saying at a time wouldn’t it be nice to have an old fashioned centre half like that son up the molineux.

Well Dad, if you are looking down on your beloved old gold, you have got your wish mate

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Lots of love for him from West Ham fans seem generally gutted that he’s leaving

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the face of it, an underwhelming signing, but may turn out to be an astute acquisition. But, we need goals and even if Dawson does get a couple, he's not been bought to remedy our lack of scoring.
We need goals!!!!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the face of it, an underwhelming signing, but may turn out to be an astute acquisition. But, we need goals and even if Dawson does get a couple, he's not been bought to remedy our lack of scoring.
We need goals!!!!
How is it underwhelming? We've been crying out for an experienced CB all season.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The new John McAlle. Its been coming. Great short term signing.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need goals!!!!
Nothing underwhelming about his signing imo. Excellent signing.

Loads of Premier League experience, been starting for West Ham until the last couple of weeks and scores goals.

Do you mean underwhelming because of the fee or because of his age? They are both irrelevant. The fee is peanuts and the likes of Thiago Silva at Chelsea and Pepe of Portugal are nearly 40, still playing and are both fit as a butchers dog.

Last edited:

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Dawson completely won me over in his time with us. The first step in doing that, and it was a refreshing change, was when he bullied the Burnley attackers who usually bullied us, in one of his early appearances. “

Love this comment on there, we could certainly do with that!

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage /club wanted Dawson in the summer but West Ham pulled deal in the end and we had no back up plan. I think it's just what we need and start regularly soon.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
We need scrappers and players who don’t mind a battle to survive the drop this season, Dawson clearly wants to be here, even if the reasons are more family related and personal, but that’s still better than the motivations of some other signings the last couple of seasons, he’s got heaps of experience in the PL which will also help Collins and Kilman, he’s home grown, he’s going to cost us less than most of our recent loan flops, and weakens a relegation rival.

What we should have learned from the Nuno/Thelwell era is that the sum of the team was greater than the parts, and for some reason after 3 years of that successful model we splurged a lot of money on some strange signings (and got rid of players) to the detriment of that team dynamic (for reasons maybe that contributed to Thelwell leaving).

This accelerated during the Lage/Sellers era, and we all know the result of that.

With the Lopetegui/Hobbs era I see the Dawson signing as a hopeful return to that model that gave us Championship success, two successive 7th place positions, a run to an an FA cup semi final (which we should have won), and an amazing run in the Europa league.

He could be a great signing in a SQUAD that hits bigger than its individual players suggest, and we have to think like this as a club because simply we can’t spunk £200+M each window so it’s great to see us returning to being smart with our transfer business.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lump him up top. Who was the CB at Leicester who played as an auxiliary striker?
Matt Elliot? Steve Walsh?

Paul Warhurst is probably the best example at Sheffield Wednesday. Pretty sure Ian Marshall went the other way from striker to centre back occasionally towards the end of his career

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Elliot? Steve Walsh?

Paul Warhurst is probably the best example at Sheffield Wednesday. Pretty sure Ian Marshall went the other way from striker to centre back occasionally towards the end of his career
Wasn’t there a player at Norwich (Doherty?) who was hey shoved up front in an emergency and he kept scoring?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At last a bit of grit and experience. We could do with another one like him leading the line. You need a mix of characters, body shapes and skill sets. For too long we have been a team of Portuguese show ponies. I like Lemina and I like Dawson and I like Boubacar. Get ****ing stuck in!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Danny Batth last 5 mins whenever we were losing!

Absolutely in favour of this signing, but not at all convinced he should be starting ahead of Collins or Kilman. Also feel for Toti dropping down the pecking order when he's been excellent, so quick and physical. If Dawson can explain to Kilman that he should dominate strikers and atack the ball then it will be money well spent.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
West Ham fans don’t dish out praise easily and they seem to be gutted he’s going…I wasn’t initially too keen on him signing but coming round to the idea that he could be just what we need right now.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti's really good when 1-1 and love that he never hides, but he's way too dodgy on the ball and needs more time to sort that side of his game out given how we play.

Kilman needs an experienced head as he's so quiet and doesn't dominate. Collins does dominate but 1-2 daft mistakes usually when he can just take the simple option.

All 3 are good at the basics but all also lack the experience to play clever.

Back
Top Bottom