Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should we sack O Neil?

Should we sack him

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just remember all that sacking Gaz will tip us back over the FFP threshold so will have to flip Neto in Jan for £30 million to have £5 million for the new manager to spend .
I'd take that right now.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would seriously love to see the powerpoint presentation he did that so wowed Hobbs. Since Utd we’ve played a decent 45 mins or so of football, and even managed to completely capitulate after that. Yes there have been individual errors, and yes we have plenty of bang average players and lack leadership, but this guy has been out-thought weekly. We look confused, tentative and a bit all over the place much of the time. He’s tactically ****.

If he stays the full season we’re down. No doubt. If we give him time, the less time a decent manager might have to then rescue things. Admittedly the odds of fosun simply replacing him with another cheapo clown are quite high if/when the trigger is pulled. Shaun Derry’s barmy army or some *******s? Comedy owners.

I don’t know a single Wolves fan that thinks GON is the man for Wolves and that this ends well? If he survives a battering against City, I doubt he survives Villa. Fosun have made a complete mess and have only themselves to blame.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't ever remember so many fans and such a high proportion of our fan base firstly not wanting him in the first place but most importantly wanting a manager out so quickly. There's the instant gratification argument no doubt the odd lunatic will trot out, but I think it's painfully clear the club got this completely wrong and appointed a bloke completely out of his depth. Everything he's said and done since his appointment has simply made the situation we are in even worse, from his backroom appointments to his evident inability to read or influence a game, to his pathetic interviews blaming everyone but himself, to his refusal to acknowledge the away support last night.

To the apologists - this isn't the next Arrigo Sacchi or Julien Nagelsmann FFS, he's a journeyman midfielder who worked under coaches like Pulis and Southgate who had 6 months as Liverpool u23 assistant coach and stumbled over the line in his first managerial role because three other teams refused to spend in January and decided to capitulate.

The gap between him and what is required for the job is chasmic. Wolves, if you genuinely read this form please just put the bloke out of his misery and let him rebuild his career in the championship/league one, because that's his level, and if you don't act quickly it's very soon going to be our level too

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't ever remember so many fans and such a high proportion of our fan base firstly not wanting him in the first place but most importantly wanting a manager out so quickly. There's the instant gratification argument no doubt the odd lunatic will trot out, but I think it's painfully clear the club got this completely wrong and appointed a bloke completely out of his depth. Everything he's said and done since his appointment has simply made the situation we are in even worse, from his backroom appointments to his evident inability to read or influence a game, to his pathetic interviews blaming everyone but himself, to his refusal to acknowledge the away support last night.

To the apologists - this isn't the next Arrigo Sacchi or Julien Nagelsmann FFS, he's a journeyman midfielder who worked under coaches like Pulis and Southgate who had 6 months as Liverpool u23 assistant coach and stumbled over the line in his first managerial role because three other teams refused to spend in January and decided to capitulate.

The gap between him and what is required for the job is chasmic. Wolves, if you genuinely read this form please just put the bloke out of his misery and let him rebuild his career in the championship/league one, because that's his level, and if you don't act quickly it's very soon going to be our level too
I feel a bit ****ty thinking like this after 6/7 games, but I find it difficult to disagree with anything you’ve said there. This team needs a proper manager if we are to have any chance of finishing above 18th. Simple as. Fosun will be happy with the cash they generated this summer, but they won’t be smiling when they look at our revenue for next season in the champ. Seems inevitable to me they’ll be doing just that if a change isn’t made. Sooner the better. Not that I’d trust them to nail this mind. Plenty of cheap and available, but bang average managers out there for us to hire

Last edited:

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'll be off. It's just a matter of how soon. It's got that feel about it again. From another lack lustre performance to the look on Shi's face to the gesture to O'Neill from Sarabia when he was subbed to the bizarre post match conference.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'll be off. It's just a matter of how soon. It's got that feel about it again. From another lack lustre performance to the look on Shi's face to the gesture to O'Neill from Sarabia when he was subbed to the bizarre post match conference.
What was the gesture? Totally missed that. Hopefully not the one I was making towards him throughout the second half

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not trying to single folk out in anyway, but I'd love to know the reasoning of the 8 that have so far voted no on this pole.
What have you seen so far that makes you wanna stick with him?
I realise he's far from the biggest issue at the club, but he must be the biggest issue with regards to the playing side of things!

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Can’t be bothered to scroll through all the reply’s (general apathy at the moment around Wolves), but my thoughts are that although he wasn’t dealt a great hand, being appointed five days before the season starts, no pre season etc, but the football and tactics are dire. It’s like he doesn't know what to do if (when) the opposition score. I’m glad Shi was there because he can see first hand what an utter **** show this is. I say get rid, he’ll get a job in championship, or league one and do well. I don’t know who will come in, I wouldn’t be opposed to Colin or Sam coming in but something needs to be done and done now. I fear a Newcastle/ Sheffield United score against City at the weekend.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a thought. Get rid of Fosun and get Nuno back.
Fixed that for you.

As for why people have said no, this number of games does feel not enough to judge a manager. I'd argue it really is though.

- Nothing in his background to suggest he's anything other than what we're seeing. Woefully inexperienced defensive first, tactically inept manager who relies on being dug out by a star player. In our case Neto but Bournemouth had an equivalent.

- His absolutely bizarre press conferences where he throws blame everywhere but himself and is telling porky pies.

- Terrible game management in all but one cup game vs lower league opposition (and he got lucky at Everton to say the least - we were awful and needed a Sa/Everton non-striker special to win).

- Bizarrely defensive minded yet can't actually manage a defense to save his life

- Downward trend, other than one half vs Liverpool - and no new manager bounce at all

- A complete collapse in style and match fitness from preseason/utd to now

- We've seen confused and unhappy players multiple times, right from the start

If he'd been getting good performances undone by the bad luck then he'd need time. He's got woeful and worsening performances out of a mid-table squad (they are seriously not that bad, as Lop showed). Yes he's had VAR bad luck (so did Lop) and a couple of players have let him down, but that's amidst shambolic performances - which typically leads to poor individual form and rash actions.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we will be in an even worse situation if we sack him right now, we run it to christmas

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not trying to single folk out in anyway, but I'd love to know the reasoning of the 8 that have so far voted no on this pole.
What have you seen so far that makes you wanna stick with him?
I realise he's far from the biggest issue at the club, but he must be the biggest issue with regards to the playing side of things!
They are his back room staff and relatives

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fixed that for you.

As for why people have said no, this number of games does feel not enough to judge a manager. I'd argue it really is though.

- Nothing in his background to suggest he's anything other than what we're seeing. Woefully inexperienced defensive first, tactically inept manager who relies on being dug out by a star player. In our case Neto but Bournemouth had an equivalent.

- His absolutely bizarre press conferences where he throws blame everywhere but himself and is telling porky pies.

- Terrible game management in all but one cup game vs lower league opposition (and he got lucky at Everton to say the least - we were awful and needed a Sa/Everton non-striker special to win).

- Bizarrely defensive minded yet can't actually manage a defense to save his life

- Downward trend, other than one half vs Liverpool - and no new manager bounce at all

- A complete collapse in style and match fitness from preseason/utd to now

- We've seen confused and unhappy players multiple times, right from the start

If he'd been getting good performances undone by the bad luck then he'd need time. He's got woeful and worsening performances out of a mid-table squad (they are seriously not that bad, as Lop showed). Yes he's had VAR bad luck (so did Lop) and a couple of players have let him down, but that's amidst shambolic performances - which typically leads to poor individual form and rash actions.
While I totally agree with you I can't see Nuno leaving a top job in Saudi just now, and Julen is unemployed and livng round the corner. I was trying to be ...realistic.

I know, sounds stupid when you say it.

Last edited:

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No point delaying the glaringly obvious .........he has to go . A Mickey Mouse cheap option was never going to work .
Steady the ship , keep us up .......sell us . We're worth a lot less in the Championship or in League one .
Every day he's here is damaging the club long term .
Take the hit and pay him off . Earn your money Shi and Hobbs .

Last edited:

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just don’t see who comes in to replace him.

I’m not a fan of his and thought his appointment just another example of Shi’s ongoing disasterclass at our club, but if he’s jettisoned, who is going to come based on having next to no budget to work from?

It’ll just be another cheap and cheerful yes-man who can trot out the same lines about future problem solving in press conferences.

Jeff seems to have backed himself and the club into a corner with all these terrible recent decisions.

What a mess.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm genuinely at a loss to understand how it gets any worse than it is now, other than leaving him in place?
Because we need another person lined up, who is better

and equally the upheaval of another manager change and staff change wont be good for the squad, we will literally be hoping for mirarcles

i agree its bad. But we need to pick the time to do it, October?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Julen still in Wolverhampton? How's his Dad, do we know?
He still is in Wolverhampton.

Him and his wife sat right by my sister in a Tettenhall coffee lounge, having lunch, last week.

She text and told me, so I text her back. Told her to tell him to **** off!

His dad wasn’t with them, though.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we need another person lined up, who is better

and equally the upheaval of another manager change and staff change wont be good for the squad, we will literally be hoping for mirarcles

i agree its bad. But we need to pick the time to do it, October?
In my opinion mate, it'd be difficult to find a worse replacement... that said, I'd back Fosun, Shi and Matt to achieve it!!! Lol
...we're also literally hoping for miracles if we leave him in situ and think that things are gonna improve!

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The performances and poor game and tactical management are one thing. The lack of ownership for the debacle he is overseeing is a whole new ball game we have not seen since Saunders. This guy is spouting absolute ****e in the hope that someone will believe it. I think he may even believe it himself. Why did the media not call him out on it last night?

It’s driving me mad and is making me absolutely loathe him.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Jeff shows his ruthless streak again.

He did it quickly with Jackett, Zenga and Lambert. Wouldn’t surprise me if he did it to O’Neil. Where that leaves Matt Hobbs, who selected and appointed him is anyone’s guess.

Not sure about a payoff though. Very embarrassing if O’Neil has no break clause in his stupid 3 year contract, but I hope he has as well as his ‘backroom staff’.

I can’t believe I am writing this post after just 7 matches into a new season. A number of people are responsible for the demise we are in and it starts at the very top. An embarrassing appointment, which may well have repercussions when we try to attempt to salvage our reputation, pride and respect, which is getting worse week after week.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Jeff shows his ruthless streak again.

He did it quickly with Jackett, Zenga and Lambert. Wouldn’t surprise me if he did it to O’Neil. Where that leaves Matt Hobbs, who selected and appointed him is anyone’s guess.

Not sure about a payoff though. Very embarrassing if O’Neil has no break clause in his stupid 3 year contract, but I hope he has as well as his ‘backroom staff’.

I can’t believe I am writing this post after just 7 matches into a new season. A number of people are responsible for the demise we are in and it starts at the very top. An embarrassing appointment, which may well have repercussions when we try to attempt to salvage our reputation, pride and respect, which is getting worse week after week.
most contracts have a probabtion period. I'm sure they have factored something in, so if it goes wrong we pay only a few months not 3 years

Would be criminal if we haven't done that

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then sack the clown who gave him a 3 year deal.
TBH I dont blame Hobbs.
Hobbs was clearly operating with one hand tied behind his back as there was no money; he therefore had to find some one who was:
a) available instantly
b) didnt need paying off/ compensation to another club
c) was prepared to operate with a squad that was going to have players sold off and only cheap and cheerful/ untested brought in
d) was probably prepared to accept a cheap salary
e) was probably prepared to accept a slimmed down and cheap back room team
Taking all that in to account, it would have been a very short list.
Must admit that the 3 year contract does confuse me, though; not sure what would have been wrong with a rolling one year contract?
And if GON goes now, as he probably should, the same criteria probably applies unless Fosun recognise the severe trouble we are probably in and decide to protect their investment by paying for a decent coach.
I do think that GON (&Shi) should go, but I think Hobbs needs to be given some funds to find a proper PL quality Coach and back room team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom