Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should we sack O Neil?

Should we sack him

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_Wolf

Reaction score
I think the Luton match gets too much focus. Their a tricky customer I.e with a few decent points their picking up even more so at home. Looking like a decent point especially with the circumstances within the game.
We were down to ten men before half-time mind! I agree, not a bad result in retrospect.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve left my vote as it was - the poll is just a snapshot in time and when it was conducted lots of us were feeling angry, let down by the Board and disappointed.

Yes results have picked up which is great news and O’Neil is presenting himself well, but talk is cheap, let’s see how the league table looks at Christmas and run the vote again then.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
This one is more accurate really as there was no change option

Thread 'Gary O’Neil - Poll' Gary O’Neil - Poll

Some credit to the heroic 66 I guess, but it did get much worse from there and of course some people just back the club whatever they do. Plus of course he never was actually getting sacked in September.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Some credit to the heroic 66 I guess, but it did get much worse from there and of course some people just back the club whatever they do. Plus of course he never was actually getting sacked in September.

Proud member of the 8% club.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
fair play to those who can admit they were wrong.

but we all know there will be a bitter, sour bunch ready to pounce on him again if we lose to Newcastle or Sheffield United.
It's an interesting one to reflect on. I'd say I certainly over-reacted to his appointment and early failures.

Some of this was probably bitterness that while I thought we were heading back to the glory days under Lopetegui, the club had moved the goalposts to basically staying up and breaking even. That's still pretty much how I see us. Obviously it was unfair to unload that on O'Neil.

Then there were early tactical failings like Brighton and Liverpool. You can probably put that down to him still working out what the players can do.

Then there was the shambles at Ipswich, which we have seen the likes of before, but made me incorrectly think he was losing the players. Probably confirmation bias there, see a few grumpy looking players and assume they're unhappy with the manager.

So I'll reflect on all that and hope we carry on as we are, although churlishly maybe still point out that those accusing people of a knee jerk after 5 games, are basing their opinions on the last 4. ;)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here come the excuses.. (and there's plenty more where this came from!). Basically, hindsight cuts all ways and I don't think it was too unreasonable for many to not want O'Neil as manager. Most Bournemouth fans didn't want him, either, at the time! And I think many of us put too much on those Bournemouth fans...that's my main excuse. As I had thought he'd done a good job keeping them up, was surprised they sacked him. Though we'd also had a good revival under JL so was looking forward to a good season with him in charge.

I don't think fans of most clubs (other than the Entitled 6) are that different. I hadn't paid any attention to Bournemouth - until GON turned up here. And the Bournemouth "experts" started appearing telling us how bad he really was and that they needed some trendy alternative to go to the next level.

Looking at what a lot of those Bournemouth fans were saying - that yes he kept them up, but they weren't playing attractive football. That they set out to gain results by preventing opponents play, rather than have their own identity. That they should be doing even better with the quality of players they had. Now where have I heard all that before??? Right here, talking about us! :D All sounds remarkably similar to comments often made around here since finishing 7th.

The start of much of our decline featured people saying all those same things. So perhaps Bournemouth are just learning the same lesson we are painfully learning? That results are all that matter really and it should never be underestimated how hard they are to get in this league? Well, I hope we've learnt the lesson, because I don't want to see us ever get rid of a succesful manager because we "have to go 4 at the back to play pretty football and not be grinding out ugly wins".

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
So I'll reflect on all that and hope we carry on as we are, although churlishly maybe still point out that those accusing people of a knee jerk after 5 games, are basing their opinions on the last 4. ;)
Within the context of a manager coming in with no preseason not knowing the players not even having a settled backroom staff it’s was a little unfair to judge him on the first couple of games

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The start of much of our decline featured people saying all those same things. So perhaps Bournemouth are just learning the same lesson we are painfully learning? That results are all that matter really and it should never be underestimated how hard they are to get in this league? Well, I hope we've learnt the lesson, because I don't want to see us ever get rid of a succesful manager because we "have to go 4 at the back to play pretty football and not be grinding out ugly wins".
To be perfectly honest, until Fosun actually start funding the team again with an eye to a tilt at the top 7 (if that happens at all) then I don't see a reason to consider switching to a back 4 again. It always unravels for us on a long enough timescale. We're a 40-ish points club at this moment in time and as such should stick to what we're good at, even if it is a limited system in some games.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Within the context of a manager coming in with no preseason not knowing the players not even having a settled backroom staff it’s was a little unfair to judge him on the first couple of games
Yes, probably, he wound me up with comments about the lack of fitness and implied criticisms of other stuff when he came in, as if he was like Lopetegui taking over from Lage, I've let it go now though!

Aussie_Wolf

Reaction score
Only the truly based refused to cast a vote one way or the other... ;)
Hello ! What does based mean in this context ? I'm an older guy. It used to mean addicted to crack but that wouldn't make sense contextually.

Cheers!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you are saying that some always back the club, ( loyalty is fine but blind loyalty is not), then one could also say that some will always find fault with all things Wolves.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle is an acid test. If we get any sort of result, and not a holding-on-for-dear-life draw like Villa, but one born out of purpose, then I'll be hugely impressed.
The Geordies are absolutely flying right now.
Yep, unfortunately I have to agree. Newcastle are strong and clinical. We should get hammered.

But ...if we manage to get anything from this game GON will cement his position and he should officially close this thread.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here come the excuses.. (and there's plenty more where this came from!). Basically, hindsight cuts all ways and I don't think it was too unreasonable for many to not want O'Neil as manager. Most Bournemouth fans didn't want him, either, at the time! And I think many of us put too much on those Bournemouth fans...that's my main excuse. As I had thought he'd done a good job keeping them up, was surprised they sacked him. Though we'd also had a good revival under JL so was looking forward to a good season with him in charge.

I don't think fans of most clubs (other than the Entitled 6) are that different. I hadn't paid any attention to Bournemouth - until GON turned up here. And the Bournemouth "experts" started appearing telling us how bad he really was and that they needed some trendy alternative to go to the next level.

Looking at what a lot of those Bournemouth fans were saying - that yes he kept them up, but they weren't playing attractive football. That they set out to gain results by preventing opponents play, rather than have their own identity. That they should be doing even better with the quality of players they had. Now where have I heard all that before??? Right here, talking about us! :D All sounds remarkably similar to comments often made around here since finishing 7th.

I didn’t watch or read any of the Bournemouth fans opinions myself but I know others on here did.
That’s fine but maybe those same Bournemouth fans thought he was great before he was sacked.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Duh….

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle is an acid test. If we get any sort of result, and not a holding-on-for-dear-life draw like Villa, but one born out of purpose, then I'll be hugely impressed.
The Geordies are absolutely flying right now.
Agreed although if we lose , by say 1 goal but play very well and continue to create decent chances, then fair enough.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will put up a good fight for sure hoping they newcastle are tired. Loud Molineux to roar us home!!
Yes ……
Finally, I’m back to looking forward to the games again. Last season, sometimes getting up at 5.30 am felt like a chore or a duty but at least we’re playing exciting footy again.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hello ! What does based mean in this context ? I'm an older guy. It used to mean addicted to crack but that wouldn't make sense contextually.
Hi! I was being (slightly) tongue-in-cheek, but "based" as I understand it is modern slang to describe a cool cat who doesn't care to adhere to any conventional paradigm or herd mentality to get at the truth or best answer to something.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Proud to be part of that club with 65 brothers in arms! Go on Gaz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom