Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should/could they have walked?

JJ59

Reaction score
After 22/23 a season of dreadful shocking var and referees I wonder if it is time for on field collective action. Last night I was so angry I wanted Kilman to lead them all off. Make a stand, it would be reported around the sporting world. After all that effort all game to be cheated by the officials was sadly now to be expected. If walking is a step too far maybe collect in the penalty area/centre circle and decline to participate? Something needs to be done.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something does need to be done but we will be waiting a long time for Fosun to do anything. There have been numerous incidents over the last few years where the club could have made a statement but we just got silence. If the non penalty last night had been against Manure they would have at least said something - we appear to be apathetic to the point of complete acceptance.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I’m sitting here thinking that we the non-big six fans get together and demand a public enquiry into PGMOL.

It feels like it’s personal against us but I think it’s pretty obvious there’s an agenda and other clubs must get it as well.

The obvious thing would be that they have to come out afterwards and explain their obvious and clear mistakes. The killer would be they have to make the audio available publicly, not just to their co-conspirators Sky Sports (i remember that staged fiasco).

How can you introduce something to solve incompetency, then when it introduces greater incompetency (more and more apologies) just ignore it shrug your shoulders and we all have to put up with it.

PGMOL should be disbanded, VAR scrapped and referees made accountable.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should refuse any referees (inc on VAR) put forward to us who have done us over to the extent an apology has been made.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or just scores goals and forget VAR.

Every side (even the Big 6) feels hard done by with VAR. You tend to only remember ones against you (like golf shots which got away and you could have hit 59 or 109 in my case).

Remember Sa at Leeds?

Over and move on.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or just scores goals and forget VAR.

Every side (even the Big 6) feels hard done by with VAR. You tend to only remember ones against you (like golf shots which got away and you could have hit 59 or 109 in my case).

Remember Sa at Leeds?

Over and move on.

Spot on.... start scoring multiple goals so VAR just becomes an annoyance/irrevelance not the deciding factor on whether we get any points.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should refuse any referees (inc on VAR) put forward to us who have done us over to the extent an apology has been made.
That used to happen in Rugby Union but not anymore.
I know of one internationally famous referree who England consistently refused until the law change and he was imposed upon us.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
So off the top of my head the refereeing transgressions against us in recent years include:

• Raul's Red Card (2 x yellows) at home to Leeds - when Mellier fouled him
  • Raul's non-penalty away at Newcastle - Nick Pope should also have been sent off
  • Lemina's Red Card at Southampton
  • LiVarPool FA Cup - Salah's offside goal and Gomes goal fiasco
  • LiVARpool - Johnny's toenail offside on Neto's goal (how can they see this but not last night's foul?)
  • Leicester at home - again like above how can they spot Neto's heel offside but not this
  • Man Utd at home 2021/22 - Neves gets fouled (by Pogo) Ref play's on - they score

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
So off the top of my head the refereeing transgressions against us in recent years include:

• Raul's non-penalty away at Newcastle - Nick Pope should also have been sent off
  • LiVARpool - Johnny's toenail offside on Neto's goal (how can they see this but not last night's foul?)
  • Leicester at home - again like above how can they spot Neto's heel offside but not this
  • Man Utd at home 2021/22 - Neves gets fouled (by Pogo) Ref play's on - they score
Leeds at home last year- Adama blatantly fouled, Leeds score, ref checks screen but still gives goal. Linesman tells a blatant lie to get Nunes sent off.

Forest away (twice last year)- clear penalties not given. Referee runs off the pitch early and allows a brawl to happen. Wolves still get fined because of our poor behaviour reported in the referees report (even though he wasn’t ****ing there).

Everton home last year- Coote adds 11 minutes of stoppage time, Everton score in the 99th minute (the latest goal in PL history). Neves confirms the referee was implementing a new rule that no one had been told about.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR has failed. Last night just shows that officials are a mixture of cowards and incompetents. Perhaps crooked. Man U in all their arrogance and despite spending hundreds of millions, were shown up for what they truly are by a smaller club...that must never be allowed.

The club should make a video compilation of all the errors that have hit us and circulate widely to the press etc.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

- Leicester away first game where the ball bounced off top of Bolys shoulder and was given handball
- Doherty handball pen against Burnley from point blank range

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only answer is manager appeals which you keep if successful; maybe one per half, but it would further slow the game.

Just get rid of VAR. I suspect the ref on the pitch uses it to cop out: thinking that's a bit controversial, I will let VAR sort it out. VAR says if you saw it it is too controversial to say clear and obvious.

The effect often happens with split responsibility.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
The only answer is manager appeals which you keep if successful; maybe one per half, but it would further slow the game.

Just get rid of VAR. I suspect the ref on the pitch uses it to cop out: thinking that's a bit controversial, I will let VAR sort it out. VAR says if you saw it it is too controversial to say clear and obvious.

The effect often happens with split responsibility.
Manager appeals won’t work because the stubborn ******* refs aren’t going to change their minds, especially if VAR has already judged that there has been no clear and obvious error.

I’d rather they binned off VAR altogether, but they won’t because they are stubborn *******s.

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Add to that:-

* Away at Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, Adama getting booked by Oliver for “diving” in the penalty area. Immediate TV replay showed Arsenal defender trod on his foot! No VAR involvement, conveniently;

* Home v Arsenal last season. Ball played through their defence just beyond half way line and arrives with Guedes in penalty area where he is taken out by the defender. The linesman then puts his flag up for an offside in the build up. The referee gives offside. No VAR referral to check if offside or penalty. A quick TV replay shows clearly our player was not offside and also Guedes was clearly fouled inside the penalty area BEFORE the ref blew his whistle.
Even the MOTD crew glossed over it quickly and Shearer got it completely wrong by saying the ref had to go with the on field decision by the linesman?????!!!
If that wasnt a clear case of corruption, I don’t know what is!!!!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Add to that:-

* Away at Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, Adama getting booked by Oliver for “diving” in the penalty area. Immediate TV replay showed Arsenal defender trod on his foot! No VAR involvement, conveniently;

* Home v Arsenal last season. Ball played through their defence just beyond half way line and arrives with Guedes in penalty area where he is taken out by the defender. The linesman then puts his flag up for an offside in the build up. The referee gives offside. No VAR referral to check if offside or penalty. A quick TV replay shows clearly our player was not offside and also Guedes was clearly fouled inside the penalty area BEFORE the ref blew his whistle.
Even the MOTD crew glossed over it quickly and Shearer got it completely wrong by saying the ref had to go with the on field decision by the linesman?????!!!
If that wasnt a clear case of corruption, I don’t know what is!!!!
The sky team all said clear penalty on Guedes if I remember correctly?

Had forgotten the Traore one..

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have been playing football for around 150 years . There has always. been refereeing errors. This is sport.
We have to accept that , as long as it’s not corruption.
If genuine errors let’s hope it evens out

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After 22/23 a season of dreadful shocking var and referees I wonder if it is time for on field collective action. Last night I was so angry I wanted Kilman to lead them all off. Make a stand, it would be reported around the sporting world. After all that effort all game to be cheated by the officials was sadly now to be expected. If walking is a step too far maybe collect in the penalty area/centre circle and decline to participate? Something needs to be done.

If that had happened, the PGMOL and Jon Moss wouldn't have admitted that they made a mistake. They would have closed up shop and backed their officials, then it would have been us as a club dragged through the mud and fined for illegally leaving the field of play.

It's very easy for them after the event to come out with useless apology. It's meaningless and doesn't get us any more points. Try and challenge them on the day and it becomes a lot harder for them, so they just stop admitting mistakes.

VAR has been so bad for the game as it accentuates the human error involved in decision making. Pre-VAR, as annoying as it was when a penalty wasn't given, or a tight offside goal was scored against us, it was often forgotten after a few days. Now it bubbles on for days/weeks/the whole season as it's two people making the same mistake with the benefit of video evidence, not just one person in real time!

I've said for a while, if they are determined to stick with VAR, they need to extend the powers of the VAR to give them more power in decision making. If anything, a referee with the benefit of slow motion replays should be able to make more correct decisions than the on field ref.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have been playing football for around 150 years . There has always. been refereeing errors. This is sport.
We have to accept that , as long as it’s not corruption.
If genuine errors let’s hope it evens out
Of course there have always been refereeing errors but VAR was introduced supposedly to stop them, well that's worked out well.
All the excitement of a goal has been sucked out of the game by the VAR check it won't be of course but VAR should be binned asap.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That used to happen in Rugby Union but not anymore.
I know of one internationally famous referree who England consistently refused until the law change and he was imposed upon us.
There are plenty we should have. A couple of French, an Aussie and a Kiwi spring to mind.

Sounds like the start of a bad joke...Two French men an Aussie and a kiwi walk into a bar...

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Add when vvd played basketball around the halfway line before punting the ball forward which led to a goal to the list too.

Edit- also when the west brom defender basically caught the ball in their area.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have been playing football for around 150 years . There has always. been refereeing errors. This is sport. We have to accept that , as long as it’s not corruption.
If genuine errors, let’s hope it evens out.
WWBug: If genuine errors, let's hope it evens out.
Narrator: It did not even out.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course there have always been refereeing errors but VAR was introduced supposedly to stop them, well that's worked out well.
All the excitement of a goal has been sucked out of the game by the VAR check it won't be of course but VAR should be binned asap.
Understood. But it has made for a lot less errors . Cutting out much , but not all of human error. VAR decisions help avoid human corruption or bias.
But I would be happy to see the back of VAR .

Last edited:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is hard to stop corruption. So much money around, so much at stake. But if there was a larger pool of referees to choose from, covering premier and championship games, assessed on a match by match basis, and each week the best 11 get allocated to the big games, chosen independently, then we might weed out the bad/dodgy ones.

But we also need to sort out VAR. They need to speak up when they spot things refs miss, and conversations need to be transparent.

They dont get paid much either. Its a short career. Happy to pay them a lot more to get better quality.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thing is we have our biases and in the cold light of day sometimes we focus too much on perceptions of victimisation. However my recollection is that we received 3 apologies last season
Nunes at Forest in the LC
Raul at Newcastle
Toti at A field in the FA Cup

Those cost us progress in both cups and crucial league points.

Now we start a new season with another apology.

Has any team ever received an apology in a game against us?

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Remember Sa at Leeds?

Over and move on.
Biggest non-point ever.

Everyone at the time agreed that was a howler of a decision & should've been a penalty against Sa - You'd think they'd learn from a mistake like that exactly a year ago, but here we are seeing the same happen again!

The big part as to why no one cared about that one vs Leeds is because it was a non-televised 3pm game, so not many people saw it, & the wrong decision luckily had no impact on the result as Leeds got the 3 points anyway...

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest non-point ever.

Everyone at the time agreed that was a howler of a decision & should've been a penalty against Sa - You'd think they'd learn from a mistake like that exactly a year ago, but here we are seeing the same happen again!

The big part as to why no one cared about that one vs Leeds is because it was a non-televised 3pm game, so not many people saw it, & the wrong decision luckily had no impact on the result as Leeds got the 3 points anyway...

It was an awful decision and I said as much at the time. I have zero problems admitting it now.

This however played a major influence in the final result being a penalty in the dying seconds of the game, on prime time TV, and everyone knows it would have been given at the other end.

I repeat my statement that the last time such a high profile error was made against a big team, the official was instantly sacked.

Does anyone really think Mason would have been sacked if he hadn't drawn lines to disallow an Arsenal goal? We all know the answer.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Moutinho 'handball' at City

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
- Leicester away first game where the ball bounced off top of Bolys shoulder and was given handball
The Boggie's basketball non-penalty....

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still angry about the Doherty handball as that “penalty” cost us another season in Europe!!!!

Doherty was protecting his head from an incredibly “high foot” from Woods. Obvious foul from Woods before even looking for hand ball.

I don’t like to think there is a conspiracy against us but that it was such an obvious error and that it cost us a place in the top 6 over one of the “usual suspects” just stinks!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still angry about the Doherty handball as that “penalty” cost us another season in Europe!!!!

Doherty was protecting his head from an incredibly “high foot” from Woods. Obvious foul from Woods before even looking for hand ball.

I don’t like to think there is a conspiracy against us but that it was such an obvious error and that it cost us a place in the top 6 over one of the “usual suspects” just stinks!
I believe we were top of the points turned over league from VAR’s first season.. and top of the apologies list last year.. and already one apology down this year. It’s too consistent to be chance.. and I hate conspiracy theories.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Remember that incident well.

Wood should have been booked for dangerous play, instead ref gave a penalty.

Oh I forgot, the ref was none other than the one and only Mike ‘look at me’ Dean!

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Moutinho "handball" against City?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ultimately, they are all on the gravy train. Most of the money in the game comes in because the media pulls in Man U, Liverpool etc fans from all over the world. Given a choice of playing football on a totally unbiased level playing field for £1k a week, or playing football knowing certain clubs are disproportionately powerful so you have to put up with bias towards them, though for £50+ a week, most will surely take the latter? Not just football, but don't we all tend to accept problematic jobs if we are getting paid unbelievable wages?

As has been said, if it was Villa, Brentford, Brighton and Us qualifying for the Champions League 1 season, it would be a huge financial hit as that global advertising revenue just isn't there for those clubs. Everybody at the top of football pyramid knows their own interest is in keeping the money rolling in, which means certain clubs get favoured.

Back
Top Bottom