Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should Bull Have Gone?

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK. So we are coming up to an amazing an unprecedented in my lifetime seven years in the top league in England and without doubt (bad results this season) in the world.

Steve Bull was one of the top forwards of his era. Should he have left to join Villa or Juventus as was predicated at the time? I can remember during Italia 90 that Salvatore ‘Toto’ Schillachi, the top scorer in the tournament was compared with Bull, not only because of his haircut but because of his style of just belting the ball from anywhere.

Unlike his great stroke partner Andy Mutch, who left on a free to play in the Prem, should Wolves have given him that chance? Did they give him that chance?

Bull arguably played at the highest level in the World Cup. Yet how good could he have been if he had played at the best teams in the country? Could he have been the player who made the difference for Liverpool during the 90s, which was always the team he wanted to play at?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK. So we are coming up to an amazing an unprecedented in my lifetime seven years in the top league in England and without doubt (bad results this season) in the world.

Steve Bull was one of the top forwards of his era. Should he have left to join Villa or Juventus as was predicated at the time? I can remember during Italia 90 that Salvatore ‘Toto’ Schillachi, the top scorer in the tournament was compared with Bull, not only because of his haircut but because of his style of just belting the ball from anywhere.

Unlike his great stroke partner Andy Mutch, who left on a free to play in the Prem, should Wolves have given him that chance? Did they give him that chance?

Bull arguably played at the highest level in the World Cup. Yet how good could he have been if he had played at the best teams in the country? Could he have been the player who made the difference for Liverpool during the 90s, which was always the team he wanted to play at?
I'm pretty sure that we got a fee (£250k comes to mind) from Swindon for Mutchy.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Schillaci did what Bull should have done, stepped up from lower leagues after a lengthy period, ended up winning top scorer at a World Cup Finals where Bull was never going to push Lineker from first choice. If he'd have scored against Ireland or Belgium, he might have got on in the semi-final but they'd already moved on with their thinking.

Bull was very loyal in the hope that Wolves would get up without him having to move, but we were never good enough. Maybe some professional regrets for him, but he doesn't exactly lead a bad life full of the same work and financial stresses that affect most people. Has he actually ever had to buy himself a drink in 30 years?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In hindsight yes he probably should have done.

But I don’t think his legacy would have been quite the same, still absolutely legendary, but perhaps not quite the level it is. I’d like to think Bull is happy that he has that at least, rather than a few appearances in the PL for Cov or Villa.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hope he didn't stroke him

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bull was a different era, I missed alot of the era think My dad started taking me up in his last season.

I think now a striker like Bull banging them in in the second division and scoring for England would have been on his way, the money would be life changing for him, I don't think I'd blame him if he was around now and did it.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one club bully could have signed for after the world cup was Torino...he regularly tells that story...
I always thought it was Genoa. I think they bid £4 million.

Its a shame he never kicked a ball in the top league or tested himself elsewhere but his loyalty is part of his charm.

My hero. Still.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bully would score goals in any team at any level, but he was a pure goal scorer, the purest. In the 80s / 90s happy days… but now? I think he’d still score of course, but at the very top, a bit like Haaland, he’d look lost in normal play.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wouldn’t have suited him to leave.

Wolves, through and through… a genuine Wolves great.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, because he didnt want to go. In this day and age though, i think the money in the Premier league would have forced his hand.
At the time he was earning as much as most premier league players, he’s discussed it many times. Whilst he was clearly very loyal, he was exceptionally well paid.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that we got a fee (£250k comes to mind) from Swindon for Mutchy.
I'm certain there was no such thing as a free transfer back then, it was before the Bosman Ruling.

So even if a player was out of contract he remained registered to his last club. Wolves would have demanded a fee for the release of that registration...

As I recall though, the fee was circa £250k as you've already said.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ooh Bully Bully!

Nice to hear some of the Bully songs tonight; was he in the crowd or did S1 just get a bit bored?

He was special. Not technically brilliant, but instinctive and strong. I'll never love a player like I love(d) Steve Bull.

I remember buying a life size poster of Bully in the subway then carrying it back home on the train to Brum surrounded by the Zulus all talking about their scrap with Wolves, trying to look inconspicuous with a massive poster under me arm.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Won’t really get that sort of loyalty these days.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he'd have gone in the very early 90's, then I could have understood it, but after that his goalscoring record wasn't all that great and we probably were the right place for him.
I say that as someone who grew up a few yards from where he grew up, he will always be my biggest football hero.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were rumours that Coventry City and Wimbledon (both premier league teams at the time) were after Bully. Apparently, the approach from Coventry was very nearly successful.

But to answer the OP, yes he probably should have gone and proved himself at the top level, but he had a great relationship with the fans and loved the club, something that is rare nowadays. Bully would have scored wherever he played because he was an instinctive goalscorer. But people should never doubt how big a part Andy Mutch played in Bully’s success.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were rumours that Coventry City and Wimbledon (both premier league teams at the time) were after Bully. Apparently, the approach from Coventry was very nearly successful.

But to answer the OP, yes he probably should have gone and proved himself at the top level, but he had a great relationship with the fans and loved the club, something that is rare nowadays. Bully would have scored wherever he played because he was an instinctive goalscorer. But people should never doubt how big a part Andy Mutch played in Bully’s success.
Did we pretty much agreed terms with Coventry but Bully didn’t want to go so deal fell through?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we pretty much agreed terms with Coventry but Bully didn’t want to go so deal fell through?

As far as I recall, yes I think both clubs had agreed a fee, but Bully said he wanted to stay at Wolves, for which we were all very grateful. I think most Wolves fans thought that Bully and Mutch would leave. There was a lot of talk about Tottenham being interested in Andy Mutch, who in my opinion was a better footballer than Bully.

I still smile when I think of the abuse Graham Turner got when he signed Bully and Andy Thompson from the Albion.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd have to ask him.
I did years ago. I can't exactly remember whether I asked why didn't you leave or could you have left, but all he said to me was that there were offers but it never happened. I didn't press him further, so don't know whether the offers were not good enough for him or the club or he just didn't want to go.

I'm glad I have cleared that up :)

As others have said part of his legend status with us is that he stayed, it would have diminished a bit if he left. Would he have been able to cut it? Absolutely. He knew where the net was and scored on the international stage

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought it was done, I remember it was all over central news then it fell through at the last minute.

Seemed like it created a unassailable rift between the fans and Taylor, as Taylor was deemed as the one who sanctioned the transfer out of the blue. I think Taylor was sacked not long after, then Mcghee came in and the first thing he did was make Bully captain haha.

In hindsight mcghee was shocking tho. Some of the players we spent big money on under him were terrible. At least Taylor spent much better, he just got the worst luck (almost as bad as GON!) with injuries, then the bully thing finished him as Wolves manager.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I did years ago. I can't exactly remember whether I asked why didn't you leave or could you have left, but all he said to me was that there were offers but it never happened. I didn't press him further, so don't know whether the offers were not good enough for him or the club or he just didn't want to go.

I'm glad I have cleared that up :)

As others have said part of his legend status with us is that he stayed, it would have diminished a bit if he left. Would he have been able to cut it? Absolutely. He knew where the net was and scored on the international stage
Yeah defo would have scored in the Premier. He had this thing where he would shoot a lot earlier than most people would, like he'd be through on goal but like 25 yards out, and he'd just crack it there and then rather than get a bit closer to the goal. I think he caught a lot of goalkeepers by surprise, who weren't even set.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was done, I remember it was all over central news then it fell through at the last minute.

Seemed like it created a unassailable rift between the fans and Taylor, as Taylor was deemed as the one who sanctioned the transfer out of the blue. I think Taylor was sacked not long after, then Mcghee came in and the first thing he did was make Bully captain haha.

In hindsight mcghee was shocking tho. Some of the players we spent big money on under him were terrible. At least Taylor spent much better, he just got the worst luck (almost as bad as GON!) with injuries, then the bully thing finished him as Wolves manager.
Yes, I heard Taylor dropped Bull, said 'I am bigger than you' and tried to force the sale through. Bull refused to go and sat it out on the bench. Results were so bad he was forced to bring him back. Fans turned against Taylor, shortly after he was gone.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Villa were interested at one point, but rather than making an official bid or unsettling the player, Doug Ellis just had a word with Hayward and sir Jack said he didn’t want to sell so Ellis didn’t pursue it.

I’m also sure there was a time when there were very strong rumours linking him with Everton.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he'd have gone in the very early 90's, then I could have understood it, but after that his goalscoring record wasn't all that great and we probably were the right place for him.
I say that as someone who grew up a few yards from where he grew up, he will always be my biggest football hero.
Wasn’t bad - goal every other game until end of 1996/97 season.

1713694394350.png

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruined my holiday in Gran Canaira the bull to Coventry stuff....nearly flew home to give it Graham Taylor....when the fans turned on him at Barnsley away I joined in ....serves ya right for trying to flog bully....

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Villa were interested at one point, but rather than making an official bid or unsettling the player, Doug Ellis just had a word with Hayward and sir Jack said he didn’t want to sell so Ellis didn’t pursue it.

I’m also sure there was a time when there were very strong rumours linking him with Everton.

I remember the daft rumour that was going around at that time that Villa were offering Ian Olney, Ian Ormondroyd and one other, which I think may have been Paul Birch in exchange for Bully !!! Just goes to show BS transfer talk is not totally the invention of modern day ' in the know ' websites.

I recall the last day of the 1990/91 season when we beat Portsmouth 3-1. Bully was on crutches but came out on to the pitch to thank the fans and there was a feeling among us that maybe he was saying goodbye. The mood was euphoric that day as Albion's relegation to the third tier was confirmed :D :D :D

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he was right to stay .....remember him saying , he remembered where he was before a footballer (driving skip lorries I believe ? ) and where he had got to and was happy ....He played in a World cup , was loved by his fans and obviously enjoyed playing for and loved the club , so why jeopardise what he had for something that could have gone sour .....Total respect for him for what he did for us and appreciating that earning even more money isn't everything

Been quite a few footballers who were superstars and having great careers until they moved on to what they thought would be even better ...Scott Sinclair comes to mind ....absolute baller at Swansea and almost never heard again at Chelsea

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I recall, yes I think both clubs had agreed a fee, but Bully said he wanted to stay at Wolves, for which we were all very grateful. I think most Wolves fans thought that Bully and Mutch would leave. There was a lot of talk about Tottenham being interested in Andy Mutch, who in my opinion was a better footballer than Bully.

I still smile when I think of the abuse Graham Turner got when he signed Bully and Andy Thompson from the Albion.

Imagine it now Frank with Bully's slow start with us and the fact that Thommo is a little on the short size.

" Turner who barring a few fans no one wanted as Manager ( for those of use around in 1986 the reaction to the Gary O'Neil appointment last summer was something we vets had seen before ;) ) has blown the budget on two players from that mob. That Bull could not trap a bag of cement and Thompson is no bigger than a ball boy ! Also with the signing of Ally Robertson who is totally passed it what is Turner doing :):):) "

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I remember at the time I only heard about Coventry, Celtic potential deals via teletext or newspaper but thankfully nothing ever come of it. The move to Italy was a new thing to hear on this forum 4m would of been a lot at that time. Thankfully we didn’t sell him, still believe he could of played on for longer if he wanted it enough and rested properly. I think he rushed himself back too many times

Back
Top Bottom