Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Shirt Number Icons

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Brief mention of retiring the No 8 shirt in the Neves thread got me thinking who would you associate most with which archetypal shirt no.

Gone 1-11 but realise it’s ever more difficult these days. Only picked players I’ve seen which means Billy Wright doesn’t get No 5, and they are arguably not the best in their shirt but they meant something to me.

My Shirt No Icons are:
1. Mark Kendall
2. Geoff Palmer
3. Derek Parkin
4. Floyd Streete
5. Frank Munro
6. ?
7. Kenny Hibbitt
8. Ruben Neves
9. Steve Bull
10. John Richards
11. Robbie Dennison

Can’t think of a stand out no. 6 and I cheated a little with King John though I do remember him wearing the 10 from time to time.

Most of our recent hero’s wore shirts higher than 11.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brief mention of retiring the No 8 shirt in the Neves thread got me thinking who would you associate most with which archetypal shirt no.

Gone 1-11 but realise it’s ever more difficult these days. Only picked players I’ve seen which means Billy Wright doesn’t get No 5, and they are arguably not the best in their shirt but they meant something to me.

My Shirt No Icons are:
1. Mark Kendall
2. Geoff Palmer
3. Derek Parkin
4. Floyd Streete
5. Frank Munro
6. ?
7. Kenny Hibbitt
8. Ruben Neves
9. Steve Bull
10. John Richards
11. Robbie Dennison

Can’t think of a stand out no. 6 and I cheated a little with King John though I do remember him wearing the 10 from time to time.

Very subjective I guess depending on the posters age and how many years following Wolverhamptom Wanderers.

For example, Dave Wagstaffe would be my No 11.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a slightly different note, that no 8 was worn by Ernie Hunt when I first went to a match I was gutted when he was sold to Everton, then Kenny Hibbit until he passed it on to Willie Carr all great players

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which number are actually retired at clubs?

I remember Man City with number 23 after Marc Vivien Foe died.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought John Richards was a number 9 and Doog was the 10. It was a long time ago though.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But what is the point ?
Well obviously no point trying to relay that to you is there? You've obviously not recognised the importance of what Neves has done for us in six years.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do pub teams retire shirt numbers then? News to me that Big Dave from the Dog and Duck has his number now immortalised in the back bar
It's fine if you think it's a good idea but personally I think it's a stupid one, I am entitled to my view and you're entitled to yours.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well obviously no point trying to relay that to you is there? You've obviously not recognised the importance of what Neves has done for us in six years.
How about Billy Wright and all our other icons
No need to retire a shirt to respect someone

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's fine if you think it's a good idea but personally I think it's a stupid one, I am entitled to my view and you're entitled to yours.
Fair but to use the word childish is an invalid phrase.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My Shirt No Icons are:
1. Mark Kendall
2. Geoff Palmer
3. Derek Parkin
4. Floyd Streete
5. Frank Munro
6. ?
7. Kenny Hibbitt
8. Ruben Neves
9. Steve Bull
10. John Richards
11. Robbie Dennison

Richard’s wore 10 when playing with Andy Gray who wore the 9.

Back
Top Bottom