Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheffield Wednesday

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am really concerned about offenses which basically are along the lines of you have offended me.

But this smashed though the line and criminal investigation,and after due process sanction, is required.

The Sheffield Wednesday life ban is appropriate. May after loads of years of charity work helping cancer suffers Wednesday might review it.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Minor trivia. I was at a funeral on Friday for a friend, her husband the widower was a ref and a ref trainer. Knows a lot of people. A car arrived at the car park next to the church with a referee themed number plate. Turns out he was off to referee the Sheffield Wednesday game after the funeral.

NJ Wolves

Reaction score
Last edited:

Wombourne Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw the pictures of them holding the cell phone up on social media, and I have to admit, it looked like a photoshop job to me (and others, judging by the comments).

Seems like it wasn't. I don't understand how anyone could do that.
The leaked whataspp messages from the group those brothers were in, are quite damning (twitter) - doesn't look like a photoshop job at all.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their owner really does have cheek. So a man who’s wealth stretches to over 700m, is asking 20k Wednesday fans to donate £100 each in the next week, so they can pay their HMRC bill, and some of the staff wages? Oh, but it’s ok, he’s offering to repay the money with interest once his cash flow improves… As many on social media have commented, where the hell was the fit and proper owner test? Non payment of this bill on time will result in an immediate three window transfer ban.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He thinks it's ridiculous that the fans are saying 'we own the club, he is just the custodian'. That is true for every single football club and always has been. 'Ownership' is not about money.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their owner really does have cheek. So a man who’s wealth stretches to over 700m, is asking 20k Wednesday fans to donate £100 each in the next week, so they can pay their HMRC bill, and some of the staff wages? Oh, but it’s ok, he’s offering to repay the money with interest once his cash flow improves… As many on social media have commented, where the hell was the fit and proper owner test? Non payment of this bill on time will result in an immediate three window transfer ban.

I think he ought to be grateful that Wednesday fans turn out in such big numbers to support the team. I imagine they already pay a fair amount watching them play, but that is not enough apparently.

jeb01

Reaction score
Apparently Weds fans have chipped in about £700 so far today in response to the owners plea for £2 over the next 10 days or so.

It’s literally throwing money away, as I’m sure they realise, but are desperate to try anything to help.

Maybe going into receivership might offer a way forward in the long term, but what a sad state of affairs for a famous old club to find itself in.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Weds fans have chipped in about £700 so far today in response to the owners plea for £2 over the next 10 days or so.

It’s literally throwing money away, as I’m sure they realise, but are desperate to try anything to help.

Maybe going into receivership might offer a way forward in the long term, but what a sad state of affairs for a famous old club to find itself in.
Remember the 10 year season ticket idea lol

Sheffield Wednesday relaunch 10 year season tickets where the ten years don’t start to count down until the club are in the Premier League. Can’t pay with a debit or credit card though.

Walking in the ticket office with 8k in cash??

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Think the people running football really need to sort out their **** when it comes to who is allowed to buy clubs. How can chancers like this end up owning great historic clubs which mean so much to the community and city. Scandalous.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
I’ve spoken to many bewildered Wednesday fans in the last few days. Not come across one who’s coughed up £100 though.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is always something that concerns me when you see so much anti-Fosun sentiment, particularly more scathing personal attacks.

Rightly so, there's a point where any owner shuts up shop and say enough is enough.

Fosun have stopped pumping money into the club, which is why Jeff had to have a rethink during the summer. We are currently self sustaining after they have spent a fortune.

T

TheConcourse

I think there’s a level of naivety around the fit and proper person test.

Running a business in this climate is absolutely brutal. Most businesses have had to make significant cuts - almost everyone I’ve bumped into has been impacted.

The owner of a canned tuna company - which I imagine is a low margin product - with rising production costs, global supply chain challenges; it’s brutal.

Sounds like he’s paid up now and resolved the challenges.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Is it in today's world even possible to be a successful businessman/-woman while also being a fit and proper person?
Isn't business more case of "Lets do it to them, before they do it to us" philosophy.

Edit; I'm not talking about running a tea shop in this case :)

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there’s a level of naivety around the fit and proper person test.

Running a business in this climate is absolutely brutal. Most businesses have had to make significant cuts - almost everyone I’ve bumped into has been impacted.

The owner of a canned tuna company - which I imagine is a low margin product - with rising production costs, global supply chain challenges; it’s brutal.

Sounds like he’s paid up now and resolved the challenges.

I think he's right to feel frustrated, even if his PR skills are crass and unproductive.
Fans just expect owners to keep putting their hands in their pockets, in a football economic ecosystem which bears no relation to the local economic climate. You have a weakening country where people are needing financial help and government handouts to keep themselves warm in winter, working people needing to go to food banks to obtain cheap packet food to eat.....then a bunch of self-serving supporters complaining that a foreigner won't hand over millions more pounds and telling him that they control the club and he's just a custodian? They obviously have no money to invest and might get relegated, but who is going to bail them out? Trying to make the fans understand that business money needs to come from somewhere and if they want to criticise, try putting their own hands into their own pockets and see how much they're prepared to invest themselves is always a good indicator.

He was always going to pay his bills, if he didn't then he wouldn't have an asset to sell. Isn't prioritising tax bills and foregoing investment into the playing team an absolute example of what the 'fit and proper' test was meant to do....prevent taxpayers getting ripped of by unscrupulous owners spending money they don't have and then expecting taxpayers to pick up the bill when they disappear?
If he'd have spunked money on players and not paid HMRC they'd have been shut down...we've seen it happen in recent years.

The best thing Chansiri can do is sell the club as soon as possible, cut his losses, get out of town and leave them to it.

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's right to feel frustrated, even if his PR skills are crass and unproductive.
Fans just expect owners to keep putting their hands in their pockets, in a football economic ecosystem which bears no relation to the local economic climate. You have a weakening country where people are needing financial help and government handouts to keep themselves warm in winter, working people needing to go to food banks to obtain cheap packet food to eat.....then a bunch of self-serving supporters complaining that a foreigner won't hand over millions more pounds and telling him that they control the club and he's just a custodian? They obviously have no money to invest and might get relegated, but who is going to bail them out? Trying to make the fans understand that business money needs to come from somewhere and if they want to criticise, try putting their own hands into their own pockets and see how much they're prepared to invest themselves is always a good indicator.

He was always going to pay his bills, if he didn't then he wouldn't have an asset to sell. Isn't prioritising tax bills and foregoing investment into the playing team an absolute example of what the 'fit and proper' test was meant to do....prevent taxpayers getting ripped of by unscrupulous owners spending money they don't have and then expecting taxpayers to pick up the bill when they disappear?
If he'd have spunked money on players and not paid HMRC they'd have been shut down...we've seen it happen in recent years.

The best thing Chansiri can do is sell the club as soon as possible, cut his losses, get out of town and leave them to it.
What an excellent post, hit the nail right on the head

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question "how do you make a small fortune out of owning a football club ?" comes to mind. Anyone buying a club with any intent of good ownership must know its at best risky, even in the Premier league.
Oh, the answer "start with a large fortune".

Linwolf

Reaction score
Well for me it can’t happen soon enough, the club is a mess, primarily due to Shi and Sellers. But Fosun employed them, and obviously still employs the main antagonist SHI. So if Fosun are stupid and blind as not to see what’s happening. Sell up. I really don’t think we would be short on suitors
With respect I always find it truly bizarre to read comments like this. Personally I've seen the best football of my life at Wolves since Fosun took over, Championship winners, Europe, FA Cup semi final, Neves, Jimenez etc etc etc. Yes of course some of the decisions have been odd and they've made mistakes, but what else would you have rather happened? We were in a situation where JL spent money in the Jan window to keep us up which he did comfortably, albeit playing effective rather than particularly attractive or entertaining football imo. JL decided to leave to avoid damage to his reputation and because he felt he was misled and they appointed GON. Most of us, me included, thought that was a mistake, but to date I think we can all agree he is doing a good job. I also think if there is any season to recalibrate due to FFP then its this one, there are at least two truly awful teams in this league this season (not us) that are almost certain to get relegated not to mention others that will fall foul of FFP, if the reports are true and Everton get a 12 point deduction then they would need to get 46-50 points to stay up, not impossible but their last two seasons they've got 36 and 39 points only.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Best place to park tomorrow?
I’d probably head for Sharrow Lane. Plenty of side streets off there where you can park for free and then have a 15 minute walk. Not an expert as it’s walking distance for me, so I don’t know what parking is like on a match day. Unfortunately I don’t have a ticket though. If anybody has a spare (or 2), I can get there at very short notice.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But fans do invest. They spend hundreds or thousands of pounds a year each on tickets, through thick and thin at not especially great value. That's before they have spent on food, drink, travel, club merchandise etc. This clown Chansiri (Chancer-i?) asking them to fork out another £100 each on top just to keep the lights on, when he's worth 600m (in an industry that has been dogged by allegations of slave labour, no less) is not crass PR, it's indefensible. They're not expecting him to buy promotion for them, they expect him to fulfill his basic duty of care and not turn their grand old club into a circus. Sheffield Wednesday should not be bottom of the Championship, nor should they be struggling to pay staff and the taxman; that's down to bad ownership.

Last edited:

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But fans do invest. They spend hundreds or thousands of pounds a year each on tickets, through thick and thin at not especially great value. That's before they have spent on food, drink, travel, club merchandise etc. This clown Chansiri (Chancer-i?) asking them to fork out another £100 each on top just to keep the lights on, when he's worth 600m (in an industry that has been dogged by allegations of slave labour, no less) is not crass PR, it's indefensible. They're not expecting him to buy promotion for them, they expect him to fulfill his basic duty of care and not turn their grand old club into a circus. Sheffield Wednesday should not be bottom of the Championship, nor should they be struggling to pay staff and the taxman; that's down to bad ownership.

And it's all through personal choice, they're investing into their own Saturday afternoons so they don't have to go shopping with the missus.
Nothing he's done is wrong or contrary to the 'fit and proper' person's test, he's fulfilled his basic duty of care by paying his bills before he invests in his team so his club can continue to run as a business.
So he asked for fans contribution to help pay a tax bill of 2 million and they chucked in about 1700 quid, which is basically nothing, to prove his point?
Apparently this guy is already chucking in 2 million a month and something has gone wrong somewhere, but you're suggesting he should pay more and treat the club like a charity by introducing personal wealth? He's chucked 150 million at it in 8 years for a League 1 side.
Isn't that contrary to your usual views on everything else about how businesses should be run?
He just needs to sell up and move on, 9 years is enough and if they can't sustain themselves in the Championship under current ownership either due to bad choices or lack of sufficient investment, a change of ownership is the only outcome the fans will accept.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And it's all through personal choice, they're investing into their own Saturday afternoons so they don't have to go shopping with the missus.
Nothing he's done is wrong or contrary to the 'fit and proper' person's test, he's fulfilled his basic duty of care by paying his bills before he invests in his team so his club can continue to run as a business.
So he asked for fans contribution to help pay a tax bill of 2 million and they chucked in about 1700 quid, which is basically nothing, to prove his point?
Apparently this guy is already chucking in 2 million a month and something has gone wrong somewhere, but you're suggesting he should pay more and treat the club like a charity by introducing personal wealth? He's chucked 150 million at it in 8 years for a League 1 side.
Isn't that contrary to your usual views on everything else about how businesses should be run?
He just needs to sell up and move on, 9 years is enough and if they can't sustain themselves in the Championship under current ownership either due to bad choices or lack of sufficient investment, a change of ownership is the only outcome the fans will accept.
I would suggest getting away from the missus is not the main reason why Football fans support their teams! It is personal choice but over the decades the product has represented worse value for money (ticket prices outpace earnings and they have declined on the field), yet they still come loyally. Their average attendance in the two years in League One is comparable to the first two years of Chanceri's tenure when they were finishing in the Championship play-offs.

I've been consistent that football clubs are less regular businesses, more loss leaders. I criticised Fosun for thinking they could turn a profit on player trading at Wolves when the evidence indicates this is impossible in the modern era. £150m sounds like a lot but over 8 years, that works out at £18.75m per annum for a club who have been in the Championship for 6. With the money sloshing around, both in and out, that's not actually that much materially. If he's personally chucking in £2m a month as of right now, with their fans providing the 7th highest average attendance in the league, then something has gone seriously wrong under his running of the club.

I don't know if he was merely making a point or if he was serious, but that the fans raised £1700 doesn't prove anything - besides perhaps they refused to have the **** taken out of them by a guy closer to billionaire status than millionaire. He definitely needs to sell up, but methinks his public tantrums will do little in helping him find a favourable price.

Back
Top Bottom