Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheffield United (H) Verdict

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
An even game. Chances for both sides, with the Blades having the more dangerous ones, but after starting slowly, Wolves took hold of the game.

Good goal from Doc, and an emotional celebration as he dedicates the goal to Afobe’s daughter.

6B792C1F-1547-4DB6-A23B-E8F272CC7C25.jpeg

Overall, a good point, considering their impressive start, and the many chances they got. I would have taken the point if offered before the match.

Kilman was solid. Dendoncker had an off day and was nervous throughout the game. Jota had a stinker. Adama dangerous.

On to the next one.

D

Deleted member 4124

Can't wait for us to play well for 90 minutes still.
Disappointed we haven't won that tbh. Needed Cutrone, Neto or Vinagre on for that little extra.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Concerned about jota. If we are to continue with a front 3 he is going to suffer just as Adama did last season. It wasn’t until we went to a front 2 last season he came good. Definitely don’t want to write him off as I love him but we may need better out on the left if we are to improve.

D

Deleted member 5962

Concerned about jota. If we are to continue with a front 3 he is going to suffer just as Adama did last season. It wasn’t until we went to a front 2 last season he came good. Definitely don’t want to write him off as I love him but we may need better out on the left if we are to improve.

Formation is a tad lopsided, which doesnt help him. If we had a natural left footer at LWB it would help him.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point. They haven't lost away since Jan, we played on a quagmire halfway across Europe 72hrs ago, no Saiss/Boly, ref was poor. If we'd been at it we would have put them to the sword.
Jota off colour, I'd possibly start with Neto on Wednesday. Diogo will come back.

D

Deleted member 4184

Patricio - 6
Dendoncker - 4
Coady - 6
Kilman - 7
Doherty - 8
Jonny - 7
Moutinho - 7
Neves - 7
Traore - 7
Raul - 7
Jota - 6

Ref - worst we've had in a while.

Nuno - why not subs? Neto/Cutrone??

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It may be that we need to alternate between 343 and 352 during some games, and use Jota more for the latter that former. However at the moment, I think the issue is the need for him to bag a few goals so that he relaxes and becomes less selfish. When him and Jimenez are firing, they freely pass it between them, but while Raul is still making as many as he scores, Jota is doing neither. He’ll come good.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he'll come good again. We know he's got the ability and he's been getting the chances. Maybe he just needs taking out of the line up for a few games like last time. Who knows?

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Serious question for all those who can't bear to see Cutrone or Neto even come on as a sub. If we'd have signed Jota this summer would you still be picking him? I mean, he's missed a shed load of chances and he has certainly been no better than Cutrone in that regard. Its not that I've got anything against Jota at all, I just can't understand the treatment of Cutrone in particular.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Horrendous start and an awful goal to concede. Recovered quite well but Sheff Utd continued to have the best chances.

Second half started terribly and they should have been out of sight (combination of good goalkeeping from Rui and poor finishing from McGoldrick kept us in it).

Improved as the second half went on and they undoubtedly should have been down to 10 men (Baldock was almost walking off the field at one point).

Overall, don’t think we deserved a point but showed great character given how many games we’ve played recently and Thursday’s exertions. Sheff Utd played well and Wilder has done an incredible job given the resources available to him.

MoM - Patricio.
Dendoncker and Jota very poor (why Diogo didn’t roll a simple ball through to Raul instead of trying to go between two defenders, I’ll never know).

Patricio 7
Dendoncker 4
Coady 5
Kilman 5
Doherty 6 - lovely tribute to Benik’s daughter.
Moutinho 6
Neves 6
Jonny 5
Traore 6
Raul 6
Jota 4

At least the unbeaten run goes on.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with a draw, considering Portugal on Thursday. Couldn't care less truthfully given the realities which Doc highlighted in his classy celebration.

On this day, the only verdict for me is condolences to Afobe and his family.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It may be that we need to alternate between 343 and 352 during some games, and use Jota more for the latter that former. However at the moment, I think the issue is the need for him to bag a few goals so that he relaxes and becomes less selfish. When him and Jimenez are firing, they freely pass it between them, but while Raul is still making as many as he scores, Jota is doing neither. He’ll come good.

how long do we wait though? Lucky for him we have nobody to replace him with. He played in a front 3 up until November last year not contributing much and he’s doing the same again this year. Coincidence? Does it take him a few months to get into it? We will see

Az Wolf

Reaction score
Jota unbelievably frustrating, some good opportunities to release Jimenez through on goal but doesn't pass. Jimenez also had the chance to lay off for a winning goal but attempts a rabona cross?

We grew into the game and ended up playing exceptional football. SU's away form means a point is a good one, would like to have seen some subs but honestly just glad Nuno is still here! Onwards and upwards!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They could have put the game out of reach in the first five minutes of the second half, so I'm happy with a point.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty rubbish. Didn’t look at it at all. Europe isn’t an excuse, as we showed with performances against Villa and Man City.

Patricio and Jimenez played well, Traore had a good first half. Kilman was our only defender not to make mistakes I think.

Jota is becoming a passenger. Very poor again. Needs dropping for a game or two. Suspect Neto will start on Weds.

All in all, good point as Sheff Utd should’ve put us to bed long before Doherty equalised. Saying that, we looked the only team likely to win in the last 20 minutes.

Sixth in the league with West Ham at home and Brighton away to come. We’re doing well overall but today’s performance was poor.

Sheff Utd, as we already knew, were well organised and full of energy. Some of their interlinking play as they break forward is excellent. Suspect they’ll remain in the top 10 this season.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I don’t think Jota’s too far away. He is holding onto the ball too long, but slight tweaks and he’ll be fine again.

Decent result, probably should have won in the end even at about 60%, gotta be happy with this week really.

Leemack

Reaction score
I'd have took the draw at half time.

Jota was poor, Donck poor.

Adama was superb as was Rui. But all i see is how bad that ref was and even the Blades fans on their forum are bemused as to how the ref bottled that. Most blatant you'll ever see that was and surely it needs looking at so that clown can be demoted to grass roots.

Tired legs and sloppy for 70 mins today.

We move onto the next one

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheff Utd are a good team, but boy are they cynical. With a half decent ref no.2 would have been off and probably no.4 with the number of fouls he committed.

Last edited:

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how long do we wait though? Lucky for him we have nobody to replace him with. He played in a front 3 up until November last year not contributing much and he’s doing the same again this year. Coincidence? Does it take him a few months to get into it? We will see

I agree with everything you're saying about Jota and the formation but I personally think we could use Neto. He has not been that bad. And neither has Cutrone, I find it odd that everyone is against them really. I am not saying they have looked like world beaters (although I think there is plenty of potential) but good enough to bring on for 15 minutes against tired legs? Surely they are?

Y

Yout85

Patricio - 6
Dendoncker - 4
Coady - 6
Kilman - 7
Doherty - 8
Jonny - 7
Moutinho - 7
Neves - 7
Traore - 7
Raul - 7
Jota - 6

Ref - worst we've had in a while.

Nuno - why not subs? Neto/Cutrone??

Harsh on Patricio I think, who made several good saves. And too generous to Neves whom I thought had a very poor game. Agree with the rest.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lads did well to get a draw after braga match with its travelling and having that pitch. With our small squad and the injuries to boly and Bennett plus saiss suspended we haven't much to put on the pitch after the first eleven.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rescued a point which we couldn't do against Huddersfield last season and after a difficult EL match then perhaps the poor/average performance can be excused. Problem is that next up is WHU which has had a day longer to rest and is on a high after beating Chelsea at the 'bridge.
Too many players fell below their best with Dendoncker and Jota probably the worst performers. Even Moutinho who is the epitome of consistency had an off-day.
Never felt we would win after that start and a draw was probably fair with us only managing 3 shots on target in the whole game.
All in all a very forgettable match.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
We grew into the game after a ponderous start and dominated towards the end. Quite achievement after that strength sapping pitch on Thursday night. No subs today so I am not sure if the same team will cope again with West Ham on Wednesday.

I never bother complaining about the referee but that decision not to give Baldock a second yellow was unforgivable. I can't think of any reason for that decision. Looked like it at the time from where I was in the stadium and now having seen it on my phone it was actually a worse foul than I first thought. How can that be possible?

Screenshot_20191201_161953_uk.co.bbc.android.sportdomestic.jpg

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok take the point. Much better second half with Traore as awesome as ever. Glad to hear Kilman did well. But even with Sheff U in good form we should be winning these kind of home games. Terrible start was always going to make it difficult but by the end SU were on the ropes.
Nuno's lack of faith in his subs bench is worrying. Jiminez , Moutinho and co are being flogged to death with another tough match coming up on Wednesday. We MUST strengthen the squad in January. I think another striker, CM and CB are needed. Boly won't be match fit till end Feb judging from reports and Bennett's ongoing groin problem is a concern.

Our CM options are dodgy with MGW not ready and all the others too young . Can see Saiss getting a central midfield slot vs West Ham so Moutinho can get a break.And Cutrone needs to step up to the plate too to give Jiminez a break.

Nuno making no changes at all today tells you all you need to know especially considering the wear and tear on players after Braga.

So a draw is no disaster against a very well organised and motivated team but the Christmas programme and the run up to it will demand our 'reserves' stepping in and proving they are good enough to wear the shirt. At the moment Nuno doesn't seem to be convinced they are.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Deserved a point, I think. Grew better as the game went on and if anyone was gonna win it was us. Gave them a goal to start, awful awful defending. Thought Kilman had a good game and was given no support by his team at all for his debut, poor from Coady and Jonny.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Distribution was poor else he would have have got a 7

Was it? And even if it was (which it wasn’t...) he’s there to make saves. He literally kept us in the game more than once. One of the few players who did their job well today!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with a draw, considering Portugal on Thursday. Couldn't care less truthfully given the realities which Doc highlighted in his classy celebration.

On this day, the only verdict for me is condolences to Afobe and his family.
Nice post. You put it into perspective.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio - 8 some great stops with his feet
Dendoncker - 6 Improved throughout the game
Coady - 8 excellent lynchpin
Kilman - 7 solid debut. Played it safe.
Doherty - 8 Great goal again
Jonny - 7 solid display
Moutinho - ran the show again
Neves - 7 worked hard but shooting awry
Traore - 9 Dynamic created many chances
Raul - 9 yet another assist
Jota - 2 completely off his game

Worst ref ever
Sheff U lucky to finish with eleven men
Sheff U could make a decent American football team

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a reasonable result given the circumstances. I think Sheffield are a very decent team and probably had the better chances. We look off it a little bit and were caught napping early on but that's to be expected. Dendoncker was poor inthe first half (where is Okresh when that happens?;)).I thought Sheffield United pressing on our back three and only having Moutinho and Neves in midfield made it difficult for us to play out much as it did last season really, when other teams had sussed our style.Still, we still keep moving forward.

Patricio 7 Good saves when called upon on a cold day.
Doherty 6 Was he at fault for the first goal? Made amends later perhaps.
Dendoncker 5. Not a good day, struggled with the pace of Sheff Utd forwards.
Coady 6. Also caught out once or twice.
Kilman 6 He might even have been the pick of the back three. Impressed.
Jonny 6. Solid enough.
Neves 6. Okay
Moutinho 6, works his socks off but I don't think we get the best out of him in a two man midfield.
Traore 7, a threat throughout, impossible to handle when he is on form.
Jimenez 6. A little bit isolated at times but worked hard.
Jota 5, more chances missed, sometimes selfish. Not at his best.

Subs: Where were they?

D

Deleted member 5910

Jota is not justifying his place at the moment, and I think Neto should be given a start. Jota is a curious player in that he will be on fire for large spells of a season, then be borderline useless for others. He's been like this since we signed him, and he has to work to become more consistent. He reminds me of the greedy schoolkid whose bad habits become more and more pronounced the worse he's playing.

Following on from Braga, Dendoncker now starting to show that he's a square peg in a round hole, from standing square-on to a player allowing himself to be nutmegged, to losing his man for 0-1. To his credit, he kept going and improved. Apart from that, I was pleased with our resilience when under the cosh and by the end, I felt that was a game for the taking but for Nuno's baffling non-decision subs wise. A fresh impetus from a Neto or a Vinagre might've reaped dividends.

Oh, and the ref's a ****. The most obvious second yellow of all time.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's just think for a moment that some players today may have been knackered from Thursday or could have a mate that has just lost his daughter on their minds. I dont think I would perform very well at work tomorrow if it was a mate of mine. Let's just write this off today as one of those games and come back flying on Weds.

Back
Top Bottom