Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Senior Support For Youngsters

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Whilst Jack Price has been superb in this run of games, and is without doubt our find of the season in terms of our young guns coming through, today I thought his distribution was at times a little short of his usual high standards.

Most obviously when he presented the ball the Vales midfield to set up THAT miss from Tom Pope.

What I also noticed is, as soon as he had done it and the chance had gone begging, Ricketts, Stears and KMac immediately went up to Jack to support him, tell him to stay calm and generally gee him up.

A Couple of times in the second half, Price was muscled off the ball by Vale's considerably larger midfield players. Again, Ricketts going up to Jack afterwards to offer words of encouragement and obviously telling him not to be afraid to use his shoulders.

To me, this offers support to one of my theories about KJ's signings this season. This being that the signing of Sam Ricketts was hugely important and in terms of experience, has been a superb bit of business.

This is how we will get the youngsters in and get them experienced. Senior players supporting, offering a calming word in times of errors and sharing their experiences to help them develop.

Very impressive form the more senior guys.

Did anyone else spot this?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Whilst Jack Price has been superb in this run of games, and is without doubt our find of the season in terms of our young guns coming through, today I thought his distribution was at times a little short of his usual high standards.

Most obviously when he presented the ball the Vales midfield to set up THAT miss from Tom Pope.

What I also noticed is, as soon as he had done it and the chance had gone begging, Ricketts, Stears and KMac immediately went up to Jack to support him, tell him to stay calm and generally gee him up.

A Couple of times in the second half, Price was muscled off the ball by Vale's considerably larger midfield players. Again, Ricketts going up to Jack afterwards to offer words of encouragement and obviously telling him not to be afraid to use his shoulders.

To me, this offers support to one of my theories about KJ's signings this season. This being that the signing of Sam Ricketts was hugely important and in terms of experience, has been a superb bit of business.

This is how we will get the youngsters in and get them experienced. Senior players supporting, offering a calming word in times of errors and sharing their experiences to help them develop.

Good post. Totally agree.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Rickets has always been a class player and highly regarded by whoever he has played for.

C

Captain Bertorelli

Yeah I noticed that too. Encouragement and no berating. Good to see Price didn't hide after (easier to do after they missed it mind).

E

Edgmond Wolf

Yep Ricketts is class, supports the players and also grooming Batth as next Captain

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is why I found it bizarre that some advocated dropping Ricketts. Superb player, and pro.

S

Shergar

Agreed, not only reassuring him but they also gave him the ball immediately from the goal kick so he didn't have time to dwell on his mistake.

leominster wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Totally agree with last post.Last season I continually watched Ohara moaning & groaning at other players bringing moral down.Kenny Jackett has got a magnificent team spirit @ the mo there is a togetherness there which is good to see.Ricketts has been a fantastic club captain& leads by example. All the older players encouraged Jack Price after a few loose passes yesterday & got his head back.The team spirit at brentford last Sat was amazing COYW.

S

saigonwolves

If you read the fabled 'jackett book', you'll recognize this as a theme from his time at Millwall - he loved his leaders, both in the dressing room and out on the pitch.

The Ricketts signing was an obvious move to get 'his' senior players installed at the club. Reckon Ikeme, KMac, and somewhat surprisingly, Stearman play a similar role.

W

Wolfrev

Yes, noticed Ricketts talking to Price after the mistake. Ricketts has been a terrific signing. His early signing and been made captain set the tone. I think he has been an enormous influence. He makes good choices on the field. Wonder what he would do if he scores? Get the feeling he is desperate for one.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
He also gave Scott a rollocking 2nd half just before Sako took the free kick, scott went over to the linesman by the SB.lower and was obviously asking about a decision he had made, and Sam shouted at him to get his ass back over here, was quite good to see.

E

Edgmond Wolf

He also gave Scott a rollocking 2nd half just before Sako took the free kick, scott went over to the linesman by the SB.lower and was obviously asking about a decision he had made, and Sam shouted at him to get his ass back over here, was quite good to see.

Yes he is good at channelling problems through himself and stopping others giving grief to officials

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
If you read the fabled 'jackett book', you'll recognize this as a theme from his time at Millwall - he loved his leaders, both in the dressing room and out on the pitch.

The Ricketts signing was an obvious move to get 'his' senior players installed at the club. Reckon Ikeme, KMac, and somewhat surprisingly, Stearman play a similar role.

Agree with this. I think a lot of managers like to have someone on the pitch who is the embodiment of their ideals and values. The fact that Jackett has worked with Ricketts before, and made him captain as soon as he signed, suggests that Jackett feels Ricketts is very much the on field version of himself.

W

WasStefan

I only remember the one real error that Price made and that was the first half for that miss from Vale.

W

wolfyjoe

Worth noting that Ricketts also had a hand in two of our goals! Quality player! That ball to Sako for the second, which I'm sure was from Ricketts, was a beauty!

Last edited by a moderator:

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
Really wished Sams header had gone in firstshalf, he was very close.

W

WellyWolf

Yes, i saw that as well. Great Leadership and a good show of character! Shows that the group are together and want to play for each other! I could imagine Sam being a manager. Anyone know if he has any coaching badges?

On another note, Price didn't have the best half in the first, but if that is him at his worst then im glad he has done it and by no doubt he would of learnt from it! Second half he was much improved, a great ball to Ricketts for the goal! Hopefully he will come back better than ever from this!

Back
Top Bottom