Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo is not a defender

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I think by now, it is quite obvious that Semedo is not a defender. He has good footballing skills, moves very smoothly, can beat a man and can pick a pass. Going forward he is an asset. But he really cannot defend. To me he is a midfielder. Does anyone think this?

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think his defending has improved a lot since he came, obvs adjusting to the way we play. I think it doesn't help that he doesn't get support off the players nearby so ends up in a lot of impossible situations. I don't think he is any worse than Doherty at defending, but not as good as Jonny, but better than Ait Nouri (although he is improving too). I like him though.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This kind of thing comes up whenever we have a full back who's good going forwards but makes mistakes at the back. Naylor, Camara, Vinagre, etc (and fans of other clubs do it too). But I think it's wrong for two reasons:

1. Playing winger is very different. Full backs have to time runs, overlap/underlap: a skill that takes a long time to develop but is much less important for wingers, who need to be more direct.

2. Semedo's big defensive weakness is letting crosses in. Otherwise I think he's generally ok (not great, but good enough). Crosses are a pretty low percentage tactic most of the time, so it shouldn't be a huge problem if we let them in. But our centre backs are so bad at defending them (aerial crosses especially) that it becomes a problem. If we can sort that out it'll be less of an issue if Semedo cuts fewer out.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think by now, it is quite obvious that Semedo is not a defender. He has good footballing skills, moves very smoothly, can beat a man and can pick a pass. Going forward he is an asset. But he really cannot defend. To me he is a midfielder. Does anyone think this?
Over 350 games as a professional footballer, all of them as a full back.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No way is he a winger. Same *******s as when folk say Neves can play as a "number 10".

Semedo has done well this season and will continue to do so. His composure under pressure same as vintinha etc is fantastic and something we need through out the team. One on one there's not many that get past him.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's bizarre that not one of the managers he's played under has realised he's not a defender.
Hes managed to win 2x Portuguese championship titles, 2x La Liga titles, 2x domestic cup competitions and the UEFA nations league whilst playing out of position. Credit to him.

Honestly Im sure some people dont watch games lol.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's fine.

I presume this is stemming from last night, and at first I was annoyed that he let a free cross on, but watch it back.

Firstly, as we all know, Townsend is not his man, so that's a start. Secondly, he can't move out wide earlier because Maitland-Niles is in the pocket.

Obviously, you can't vacate a space closer to the box, so he did the right thing, but he was let down by Otasowie, who isn't in the picture, but mainly Saiss because it's the sort of cross that should be cleared.

Spiers covered in this article about conceding from crosses, and how Saiss is regularly at fault.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can't cross either.

Maybe we can use him carrying the ball from the fullback to a winger...

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's fine.

I presume this is stemming from last night, and at first I was annoyed that he let a free cross on, but watch it back.

Firstly, as we all know, Townsend is not his man, so that's a start. Secondly, he can't move out wide earlier because Maitland-Niles is in the pocket.

Obviously, you can't vacate a space closer to the box, so he did the right thing, but he was let down by Otasowie, who isn't in the picture, but mainly Saiss because it's the sort of cross that should be cleared.

Spiers covered in this article about conceding from crosses, and how Saiss is regularly at fault.

I think Carragher covered it after the game didn’t he?

AMN is in the space between Coady and Semedo so Semedo can’t step out. Coady come across to cover AMN’s run and tells Saiss to watch Diagne. Semedo then comes out to close the angle but hasn’t got time to stop the cross. Saiss then completely misjudged it, steps away from his man and gets caught under the ball.

Saiss stands still and contests the header and Diagne probably doesn’t score.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's fine.

Otasowie could have done more, but I actually think the whole thing stems from Saiss. He is the centre back on the far side who can see across the whole line. He should have told Coady and Semedo to go across one, but instead it took Coady to turn round, assess and call Saiss over. By the time Semedo was released it was too late to stop the cross. Saiss then ran under the cross and allowed a free header anyway.

That lack of communication across the line shows why we need proper centre backs and not midfielders filling in. If we have that, Semedo would be more than fine and that cross probably wouldn't have happened, let alone the goal.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree he is out of position too much to be a defender

I could see him more as a right winger perhaps that way he has cover behind him ?

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Carragher covered it after the game didn’t he?

AMN is going n the space between Coady and Semedo so Semedo can’t step out. Coady come across to cover AMN’s run and tells Saiss to watch Diagne. Semedo then comes out to close the angle but hasn’t got time to stop the cross. Saiss then completely misjudged it, steps away from his man and gets caught under the ball.

Saiss stands still and contests the header and Diagne probably doesn’t score.

That's the thing. Coady did everything right telling Saiss where to be.

Saiss either has to hold his line to play Diagne offside, or cut the cross out. He chose to do neither.

Only Saiss is to blame for that goal really.

If Saiss does either thing it stops the goal. Or if he had been in a better position instinctively without being told, Coady could maybe step out quicker and push Semedo out quicker to cut the cross out.

This is why one top class signing can change the effectiveness of the whole back line.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could have been our top goalscorer this season if he'd taken his chances.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem Semedo has had all season is the opposition over loading his side.

That's not really Semedos fault, he needs more help as he can't do all the defending on his own

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
As with most things, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

He is a tidy footballer but has looked suspect at times and hasn't posted the same numbers in terms of goals and assists as Doherty did in the previous two seasons.

I must be honest, given the fee and where he came from I was expecting more.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has had a reasonably solid maiden season for us and should be a shoe in for next season.
My only beef with him are his throw ins - everyone is borderline foul throw the way he putts it from above his head.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can cross, we just have no one in there who's going to finish it and when there is someone they are surrounded by about 4 defenders so he doesn't fling it in as he's an intelligent footballer.

hmmm.. I still think that he can't cross.

We've never been a team to throw lots of men into the box and we've had Jose playing for quite a long period who is decent in the air.

He's also been in a few really good positions in recent weeks at the bar line at the edge of the box and has failed to find anyone.

He also hasn't got a great assist record at Barca.

I've probably just been spoilt with Johnny and Doherty for the last few seasons.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's made for a great scapegoat this year hasn't he?

Whether folks like it or not, since the turn of the year, he's been one of our best players and much, much improved.

I'll wager he'll be a player of the year contender next season with a proper pre-season, some new faces/better defenders around him and a better understanding of the culture here.

And us lot in the stadiums, obviously.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Beyond me why the OP just didn't make a comment in the Semedo thread instead of writing a thread with a negative overtone to it.
It’s not negative at all. I think Semedo is a good footballer but despite his pedigree i dont think he has adapted fully to the English game. Maybe if he didnt have the defensive responsibilities that he has, he may prove to be of greater benefit to our team. Right now he frequently leaves gaping holes from poor positional play that admittedly he often gets away with due to being quite speedy and able to get back into position quickly. But he can’t do this every time he’s wandered away into no-man’s land hence there are too many occasions during games where the opponents are left free on our right side to attack us. Opposing teams have studied us, know this and target this area. It’s an obvious weakness of ours.
I am not knocking him as a footballer, but his previous success as a defender was in Spain and Portugal. His defensive game is probably more suited to these leagues with slower build-up play and being less physical and direct overall. Jose is a good example that not everyone can have the same success in a different league.
With the skillset and quick feet that he has, he is well-equipped and has proven on many an occassion that he‘s got what it takes as an attacking midfielder. But even his mother would find it hard to say that he has cracked it as a premier league defender right now. Will he develop the defensive side of his game to cope and operate as a reliable defender in the premier league? To me it doesnt matter if he doesnt. He‘s already good enough and probably more suited to play in midfield for us. Give Hoever the right side full-back position instead; he seems more natural as a defender in the little time we’ve seem of him.
If you dont agree, then it would be good to read your arguments. This is why we come to the Mix afterall isnt it?

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was good last night I thought, just needed a centre back who can win headers

I hope this is right.. but something just doesn't feel right in the connection between our full backs on both sides and our central defense. I really don't think it's all on the centre backs. Look how much stronger we seemed with Johnny in the team.

Also loads of people are blaming us centrally then replacing our need for a defensive sitting centre mid with a box to box player.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not negative at all. I think Semedo is a good footballer but despite his pedigree i dont think he has adapted fully to the English game. Maybe if he didnt have the defensive responsibilities that he has, he may prove to be of greater benefit to our team. Right now he frequently leaves gaping holes from poor positional play that admittedly he often gets away with due to being quite speedy and able to get back into position quickly. But he can’t do this every time he’s wandered away into no-man’s land hence there are too many occasions during games where the opponents are left free on our right side to attack us. Opposing teams have studied us, know this and target this area. It’s an obvious weakness of ours.
I am not knocking him as a footballer, but his previous success as a defender was in Spain and Portugal. His defensive game is probably more suited to these leagues with slower build-up play and being less physical and direct overall. Jose is a good example that not everyone can have the same success in a different league.
With the skillset and quick feet that he has, he is well-equipped and has proven on many an occassion that he‘s got what it takes as an attacking midfielder. But even his mother would find it hard to say that he has cracked it as a premier league defender right now. Will he develop the defensive side of his game to cope and operate as a reliable defender in the premier league? To me it doesnt matter if he doesnt. He‘s already good enough and probably more suited to play in midfield for us. Give Hoever the right side full-back position instead; he seems more natural as a defender in the little time we’ve seem of him.
If you dont agree, then it would be good to read your arguments. This is why we come to the Mix afterall isnt it?
Why is he more suited to play in midfield when he has never played there in 350 plus games.

D

Deleted member 11332

hmmm.. I still think that he can't cross.

We've never been a team to throw lots of men into the box and we've had Jose playing for quite a long period who is decent in the air.

He's also been in a few really good positions in recent weeks at the bar line at the edge of the box and has failed to find anyone.

He also hasn't got a great assist record at Barca.

I've probably just been spoilt with Johnny and Doherty for the last few seasons.

Neither of those are good crossers of the ball mainly cutting the ball back to someone arriving into the box than whipping one in. Think your argument has fell apart somewhat here.

I've seen him cross when playing for Portugal, he's got decent delivery, Barcelona rarely cross from wide or deep either. I've seen no evidence Jose is decent in the air, he doesn't even attempt to challenge for it half the time for a start.

Back
Top Bottom