Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

selling our stars

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
getting a bit ****ed of every time one of our players start to shine and the vultures start circling ....the latest being joao and Aït-Nouri.....will there ever be a time when wolves can tell other teams to jog on

No. That's why no team has ever broken that top 6 permanently and never will unless they have a state or wealth fund purchase them. The moment a team gets close they will be picked apart and also lose the manager too.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
getting a bit ****ed of every time one of our players start to shine and the vultures start circling ....the latest being joao and Aït-Nouri.....will there ever be a time when wolves can tell other teams to jog on
I feel exactly the same, but have to accept that’s the way it is.

Just think where we could be if we kept our best players and GON was managing them. He has improved every player this season imo.

Next season could be good imo. Apparently we don’t have to sell our best players and obviously new players will be on the way.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sadly no, but I am with you on being peed off with all the links. I could put my foot through the TV when Sky mouthpieces like Merson, Redknapp and Carragher start a sentence with " No disrespect to Wolves but Neto / Gomes / Ait-Nouri and others need to be at one of the bigger clubs ! "

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s disheartening to be honest. We unearth great little talents and they are hoovered up by the big 6. I personally see a lot of Roy Keane in Gomes and it’s easy to see why other clubs are showing interest in him, Neto, RAN and even Kilman but it narks me that we will have to sell and then start the process of finding good young players all over again only for them to be sold on too before giving us a chance to build a team capable of really knocking on the door of the big 6. FFP far from levelling the financial playing field has instead ensured the widening of the gap but perhaps that was the true intention all along?

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
No different to us circling sides lower down the food chain for their players. If they do well here then the sides in Europe on a regular basis will want them.

The trick is to buy these players at as low a fee possible then sell for the maximum using the profit to rinse and repeat. Everyone moans about sides buying success then complain about measures that try and stop it happening

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s disheartening to be honest. We unearth great little talents and they are hoovered up by the big 6. I personally see a lot of Roy Keane in Gomes and it’s easy to see why other clubs are showing interest in him, Neto, RAN and even Kilman but it narks me that we will have to sell and then start the process of finding good young players all over again only for them to be sold on too before giving us a chance to build a team capable of really knocking on the door of the big 6. FFP far from levelling the financial playing field has instead ensured the widening of the gap but perhaps that was the true intention all along?

FFP is looking more and more like when a person from a less than wealthy background comes into a serious amount of cash and wants to join the golf or the yacht club only to find the cliquey snobs who have been in it for years are saying they " Don't want those sort of people in it " This is what Newcastle are finding and Manchester City before them.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the exception of a few clubs like Man City, the game today is all about 'player trading' and trying to make as big a profit as you can on your transactions, Brighton being the masters of it. The days of building a team and players spending their entire careers at clubs are now long gone.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We support a mid-table Prem team, something we would have dreamed of saying anytime in the past 50 years tbh (bar Nuno's 2 seasons). We've been out of the top division in the past 30/40 years more times than we've been in it. We play in an iconic stadium that holds just 32k and now we are operating under reasonably stringent financial constraints. All teams in our situation, BHA, Palace, WHU, Everton, all sell their best players on. I've accepted where we are and am realistic enough to understand we will lose one of Neto, RAN, Cunha or Semedo this summer. Our future lies in unearthing players like Gomes or H Bueno or Kilman to be at the heart of our side.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just have to keep unearthing more gems than we sell.

As for managers leaving, how's Potter doing since going onto 'better' things? Brighton have definitely benefited and will already have their next manager in mind for when De Zerbi gets seduced by one of the SKY 6.

Succession planning is something we've never been that good at, but perhaps that is changing. Time will tell.

fleck1

Reaction score
Frustrating but if done right can be to the benefit of the club. There are very few clubs that aren't selling clubs, every player has a price and even the big 6 here have struggled over the years when Madrid/Barcelona have come knocking. As long as you are signing talents with attitudes like Gomes, Neto etc rather than Nunes they will understand the process rather than throw out their toys when they get a sniff of a bid. As long as you don't fire sell, so lose one at a push two in the summer but you can then potentially sign four or five of the next Neto/Gomes/RAN, with an experienced Mario like signing thrown in. I feel more confident now that we have an off field identity and a plan going forward than we have for a long time.

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Frustrating but if done right can be to the benefit of the club. There are very few clubs that aren't selling clubs, every player has a price and even the big 6 here have struggled over the years when Madrid/Barcelona have come knocking. As long as you are signing talents with attitudes like Gomes, Neto etc rather than Nunes they will understand the process rather than throw out their toys when they get a sniff of a bid. As long as you don't fire sell, so lose one at a push two in the summer but you can then potentially sign four or five of the next Neto/Gomes/RAN, with an experienced Mario like signing thrown in. I feel more confident now that we have an off field identity and a plan going forward than we have for a long time.
I get what you're saying but i dread some of our players leaving. We have such a wonderful team spirit, thats something that don't come easy. Over the last few seasons other teams have not been worried about facing us,i feel now we have our mojo back and teams are wary of us again.
You come to love these players and its a wrench when they have to leave.
And the replacements, its a gamble they are going to be up to standard.
Its way of the football world, we have to enjoy the moments we have with these talented players right now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the way it is. The game is ruled by money, clubs in our position are at a certain level in the food chain and we have to cash in when the time is right. Often mentioned about what we spent in the summer of 2020 and how we could have used the money better (it really wouldn't have catapulted us to a regular top six side like some believe), what isn't often mentioned is that summer we also could have sold Traore and Raúl for in excess of £100m the pair, instead we kept them for three more years and got a paltry £5.5m, which didn't even come close to the extra wages we paid out. We're not in a position where we can afford to repeat those mistakes so enjoy the players while they're here, because it's best for the club that they move on when their stock is at its highest

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think we probably have to sell our stars in order to compete and ultimately progress. But there’s two things you have to do.

1) Sell them at absolutely top top value.
2) Recruit smartly and use the money to make the team better.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think we're all realistic to know this is how it has to be, frustrating as it is. My hope is that we don't have to sell too many in the same window, preferably just one each season (probably unrealistic).
Read somewhere the other day we're not looking to sell Gomes at the end of this season but are already looking at replacements which is the way to go.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just have to keep unearthing more gems than we sell.

As for managers leaving, how's Potter doing since going onto 'better' things? Brighton have definitely benefited and will already have their next manager in mind for when De Zerbi gets seduced by one of the SKY 6.

Succession planning is something we've never been that good at, but perhaps that is changing. Time will tell.
Brighton have peaked. On the way down.

Like Southampton and Leicester before.

Almost inevitable.

You have to take advantage when the squad is at it's strongest and challenge for a top 4 place.

Leicester came closest and had a wild ride.

Having a bigger stadium to build the fan base is key element of long-term strategy.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the elite group have been incredibly ruthless at shaping both the rules and the. Market to cement their monopolistic position.

No more benefactor owners who can spend their way into top group. 5 subs to strengthen the bigger squads of the elite. Closed shop European qualification to large extent. Euro coefficient to give a helping hand to elite.

The 70% salary cap to further reduce spending power of aspirational clubs. The cherry on the cake which hopefully will be diluted.

So important to limit sales of best players on the upside of the squad building curve.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s happened forever though hasn’t it? You mention Roy Keane he left a bigger club than us at the time in Forest to go to United so did his colleagues Webb (United) and Nigel Clough (Liverpool). Much is made of FFP but the big clubs have always nicked others players

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
Unfortunately you have to accept this is way now. If we are going to get better at player trading business it would be lovely to see us get replacements in before we sell existing to keep prices lower for buying.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
It comes back to this argument (that we're all just a shop window for the big 6) and then I have to make the choice whether top level football is worth investing in. Leicester did it, but it's an anomaly they have done their best to ensure never happens again. And then we're supposed to salivate at Klopp winning a quadruple and sob when he leaves, as if that level of success isn't a symptom of a wretched concentration of talent in the top teams.

Its a love wolves, hate football thing for me by this point. If I weren't born into it I'd go non league or follow another sport

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Football is a food chain. Transfer market is a buffet. Nobody likes to see our star players get nicked off us, but that's the way it is. The best thing we can do is have a production line, to have players ready to step into any position that needs filling, whether that's via our academy or making transfers of our own.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton have peaked. On the way down.

Like Southampton and Leicester before.

Almost inevitable.

You have to take advantage when the squad is at it's strongest and challenge for a top 4 place.

Leicester came closest and had a wild ride.

Having a bigger stadium to build the fan base is key element of long-term strategy.
No one has done it in Prem League history for any length of time bar Man City, and it took them 10 years and billions spent to do so
With FFP even that small opportunity is now microscopic

Your right in the view that a new stadium is paramount,but for us to do it properly it would mean moving the site and huge investment

It will have to happen at some point but for now we have to be realistic and accept that our stars will move on,so far we not doing too badly with unearthing the gems ,but again its as much luck as judgement imo

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we probably have to sell our stars in order to compete and ultimately progress. But there’s two things you have to do.

1) Sell them at absolutely top top value.
2) Recruit smartly and use the money to make the team better.
Bloody easy to say. Much harder to do on a consistent extended basis. Way too many teams have had a purple spell then got the recruitment wrong and massively suffered.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Bloody easy to say. Much harder to do on a consistent extended basis. Way too many teams have had a purple spell then got the recruitment wrong and massively suffered.
It's easy to forget that real life isn't Football Manager sometimes. Consistently finding coveted "rare gems" is very hard to do, and it's an even bigger risk when you consider the fact that a fair few just won't be suited to this league.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh having had an hour or 2 to think on about today I do think, whatever Hobbs might say, we have to do everything we can as a Club to hang on to Cunha, RAN, Gomes and Semedo next season. Assuming we will have Neto as well now, they are the 5 players we need to build next season around. If we need to sell then I'd sell Hwang and Kilman to raise the funds + the likes of Silva, Guedes and Podence. That lot must bring in £100 mil? and with the likes of the 2 Buenos, Toti, Doyle, Lemina and Sarabia we have a decent squad to add to. Our ability to deflect bids for our stars this summer will show us all just how determined Fosun are for us to kick on under GON.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be suprised if RAN goes this summer.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be suprised if RAN goes this summer.
I wouldn't, standing out every game now. I reckon someone will offer £40-50.
Real shame if this team were to be broken up without reaching it's maximum potential. Would be nice if we bulked the squad out with 4 or 5 good players. Give O'Neil the team he deserves and see what he can achieve

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real shame if this team were to be broken up without reaching it's maximum potential. Would be nice if we bulked the squad out with 4 or 5 good players. Give O'Neil the team he deserves and see what he can achieve

Great talent but it's only been the last few months his really started to flourish maybe over a longer period of time is needed. Still unsure wether he is a LWB or further forward, then looking at the options at the clubs who could afford him and who they have already.

Just can't see who'd want him top of their list for the Money we'd want.

Oh well wait and see I suppose!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is a similar situation to when Nuno brought us up from the Prem. That Champs side had a great nucleus but we added some real quality which brought us instant success. Today's side has a great nucleus and as I said above we really must not allow it to be broken up. We have players, I believe we can sell for decent money and esp loaned out players. That's where the income should come from and Fosun show some ambition just like you did in 2018.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great talent but it's only been the last few months his really started to flourish maybe over a longer period of time is needed. Still unsure wether he is a LWB or further forward, then looking at the options at the clubs who could afford him and who they have already.

Just can't see who'd want him top of their list for the Money we'd want.

Oh well wait and see I suppose!
Pep. RAN is playing an almost identical style to John Stones. Both have ridiculous attacking flair for defenders. Pep would take RAN to another level.

Back
Top Bottom