Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Season Ticket/Member divide?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say yes, for a home game, cost for me is too much to justify the round trip to Molineux, pricing since become non-ST has been the major factor in that, over two years since I've been to Molineux now, there is a definite misunderstanding that actively picking and choosing the games rather than jumping any available is a decision factored by the cost of attending.

Like, for me, the next Wolves game I'll attend will either be Wembley or it'll be sometime next season. Spurs was the final jaunt for this year, far too much on going.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Quite a lot of parallels there.
ST are not cheap (what a shame Jez didn't leave us with a promise of no increases as long as we kept buying!), but the ticket prices for non STH is ridiculous.
The fact that nobody will say how many members there are though is the worst for me. For the Cup I think there are about only about 5k tickets for members if STH all decide they care after all, if (please God) we did make the final, it would be far worse. How many members to people reckon we have got 10k, 15k?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I don’t know how many members plus they are so Thursday should be fun trying to get a ticket.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Quite a lot of parallels there.
ST are not cheap (what a shame Jez didn't leave us with a promise of no increases as long as we kept buying!), but the ticket prices for non STH is ridiculous.
The fact that nobody will say how many members there are though is the worst for me. For the Cup I think there are about only about 5k tickets for members if STH all decide they care after all, if (please God) we did make the final, it would be far worse. How many members to people reckon we have got 10k, 15k?

I have no idea would be nice to know how many memberships there are, also the club should have a membership cut off date I think you can still purchase one. They should have introduced loyalty points for this game or to have given first choice (after STH) to members who have attended the cup games.

Part of me is expecting the bloody awful ticket website to crash on Friday morning.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Given some of the comments l have seen on the Mix l thought this, about the situation at Newcastle, might be of interest.

What I found interesting at Newcastle on Saturday was that, despite selling out our away allocation (although it went down to members) there were, I would estimate, hundreds of empty seats in the away end. The row in front of me (part of the original allocation released to away season ticket holders) was less than half full, as was my row and the one behind me. There were large sections of empty seats throughout the away end. Seems like a lot of away season ticket holders bought tickets to keep their points up, but couldn't be bothered to travel. Shame, because I imagine if they were not bought for points by AST holders but sold properly to home season ticket holders and members, lots of people who don't normally get a chance to go to an away game could have gone.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
What I found I interesting at Newcastle on Saturday was that, despite selling out our away allocation (although it went down to members) there were, I would estimate, hundreds of empty seats in the away end. The row in front of me (part of the original allocation released to away season ticket holders) was less than half full, as was the row in front of me and behind me. There were large sections of empty seats throughout the away end. Seems like a lot of away season ticket holders bought tickets to keep their points up, but couldn't be bothered to travel. Shame, because I imagine if they were not bought for points by AST holders but sold properly to home season ticket holders and members, lots of people who don't normally get a chance to go to an away game could have gone.
I didn't go, but have seen this before, literally whole empty rows, seems odd that there are rows of empty seats, rather than scattered twos and threes. Despite being very much in this category myself (sweating on Villa tickets) I feel like you'd have to be crazy to buy them and throw them in the bin. Maybe they were bought and people just couldn't sell them? It won't have been ASTs though, it'll be STHs relying on points.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I didn't go, but have seen this before, literally whole empty rows, seems odd that there are rows of empty seats, rather than scattered twos and threes. Despite being very much in this category myself (sweating on Villa tickets) I feel like you'd have to be crazy to buy them and throw them in the bin. Maybe they were bought and people just couldn't sell them? It won't have been ASTs though, it'll be STHs relying on points.
Yes, think it's probably the case that they couldn't sell them on. However, I think the demand would be there and they would all get sold out if they were sold officially through the club. I used to go to loads of away games but don't anymore (apart from Newcastle) because I can't get tickets. I'm sure I possibly could if I went on social media and asked for tickets but I'm not often comfortable with that and I think there are many others who don't know someone, don't know how to go about doing this, or aren't willing to. It's like having to go through a tout just to buy tickets.

Ironically I have got tickets from posters on the Mix for the last few Newcastle away games as I didn't want to risk it not going to members. Especially as it was a Saturday 3pm game this season. However I could have got some through the official channels as it turned out. So, our official way of distributing tickets is pretty broken because there are unsold seats in most away games. Also, controversial, although our away support is good, it's not as good as we imagine. We just can't fill out our allocation for a 195 mile trip to Newcastle, even on a Saturday in the middle of a good run of form. It's obvious that Newcastle have better away support than us, but so do teams like Sunderland, who have far more demand for away tickets and also genuinely sell out their allocations despite travelling much further on average.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yes, think it's probably the case that they couldn't sell them on. However, I think the demand would be there and they would all get sold out if they were sold officially through the club. I used to go to loads of away games but don't anymore (apart from Newcastle) because I can't get tickets. I'm sure I possibly could if I went on social media and asked for tickets but I'm not often comfortable with that and I think there are many others who don't know someone, don't know how to go about doing this, or aren't willing to. It's like having to go through a tout just to buy tickets.

Ironically I have got tickets from posters on the Mix for the last few Newcastle away games as I didn't want to risk it not going to members. Especially as it was a Saturday 3pm game this season. However I could have got some through the official channels as it turned out. So, our official way of distributing tickets is pretty broken because there are unsold seats in most away games. Also, controversial, although our away support is good, it's not as good as we imagine. We just can't fill out our allocation for a 195 mile trip to Newcastle, even on a Saturday in the middle of a good run of form. It's obvious that Newcastle have better away support than us, but so do teams like Sunderland, who have far more demand for away tickets and also genuinely sell out their allocations despite travelling much further on average.
I would say that Newcastle is unique in that for me. I can't remember going anywhere else and seeing many empty seats. The system is a bit rubbish though I agree, not sure what the solution is, but people keeping their points up by selling on is hard to solve. Also the whole concept of 'loyalty' came from a time when people could buy tickets and show they were 'loyal' whereas now they are more like 'privilege' points.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say that Newcastle is unique in that for me. I can't remember going anywhere else and seeing many empty seats. The system is a bit rubbish though I agree, not sure what the solution is, but people keeping their points up by selling on is hard to solve. Also the whole concept of 'loyalty' came from a time when people could buy tickets and show they were 'loyal' whereas now they are more like 'privilege' points.
Haven't Wolves started only issuing points for home cup games if the ticket is used?

Not sure if clubs can liase with each other, or if the interest is there, to do similar for away matches.

SuziQ

Reaction score
Haven't Wolves started only issuing points for home cup games if the ticket is used?

No. They're still issuing them for home league matches too. I thought it was just meant to be the cup but I've got 180 loyalty points and there haven't been 8 cup games at Molineux this season.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. They're still issuing them for home league matches too. I thought it was just meant to be the cup but I've got 180 loyalty points and there haven't been 8 cup games at Molineux this season.
Sorry I don't think I explained very well, I recall reading points were only issued on home games if the ticket has been used.

(As a sth, ive only brought cup tickets)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I don't think I explained very well, I recall reading points were only issued on home games if the ticket has been used.

(As a sth, ive only brought cup tickets)
Re your brackets for home games so have l - fellow ST holder.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Not sure if clubs can liase with each other, or if the interest is there, to do similar for away matches.
Interesting, don't know, I do vaguely remember some discussion a few years ago - was it Southampton away in the LC maybe, £10 a ticket? Obviously doesn't help if people actually sell them on though.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given some of the comments l have seen on the Mix l thought this, about the situation at Newcastle, might be of interest.

Just read this.
Pretty close to perfectly describing what I have often moaned about as a member compared to what season ticket holders pay.

In fact I’d say the discrepancy between members cost v season ticket holders cost is even greater than it is for Newcastle fans.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read this.
Pretty close to perfectly describing what I have often moaned about as a member compared to what season ticket holders pay.

In fact I’d say the discrepancy between members cost v season ticket holders cost is even greater than it is for Newcastle fans.
I thought that there might be some resonance....

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Just read this.

I’ve attended every league game bar spurs and three cup games and one friendly i dread to think how much it all adds up to and then add £35 for membership

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I found interesting at Newcastle on Saturday was that, despite selling out our away allocation (although it went down to members) there were, I would estimate, hundreds of empty seats in the away end. The row in front of me (part of the original allocation released to away season ticket holders) was less than half full, as was my row and the one behind me. There were large sections of empty seats throughout the away end. Seems like a lot of away season ticket holders bought tickets to keep their points up, but couldn't be bothered to travel. Shame, because I imagine if they were not bought for points by AST holders but sold properly to home season ticket holders and members, lots of people who don't normally get a chance to go to an away game could have gone.
Yep, plenty of seats around me too.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve attended every league game bar spurs and three cup games and one friendly i dread to think how much it all adds up to and then add £35 for membership
Ouch... I dread to think too. If l didn't have a ST l would struggle to justify travelling from London to games particularly after my elderly mum, who l used attending as an opportunity to check up on, passed away.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You only have to look on a certain FB group there were loads of Newcastle tickets up for grabs. I think it is definitely a case of a lot of the away STH’s buying their allocation automatically to keep their points up, pick and choose which games they will go to and then selling on the ones they can’t/don’t want to go to, it is quite blatant with real names etc.. I’m surprised the club has not acted on it.

Edit. Also the ballot, having never been successful in every one of the ballots, I wonder if the full quoted allocation goes to the ballot or this method allows them to put a few tickets aside for comps/preferred etc.. like the Villa game has 147 tickets for the ballot, really all 147?

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I have no idea would be nice to know how many memberships there are, also the club should have a membership cut off date I think you can still purchase one. They should have introduced loyalty points for this game or to have given first choice (after STH) to members who have attended the cup games.

Part of me is expecting the bloody awful ticket website to crash on Friday morning.
I think most STH will take up their seats and there will be a lot go to Membership Plus, so it will be likely to be a scramble for the corners I'd imagine. Good luck.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You only have to look on a certain FB group there were loads of Newcastle tickets up for grabs. I think it is definitely a case of a lot of the away STH’s buying their allocation automatically to keep their points up, pick and choose which games they will go to and then selling on the ones they can’t/don’t want to go to, it is quite blatant with real names etc.. I’m surprised the club has not acted on it.

Edit. Also the ballot, having never been successful in every one of the ballots, I wonder if the full quoted allocation goes to the ballot or this method allows them to put a few tickets aside for comps/preferred etc.. like the Villa game has 147 tickets for the ballot, really all 147?
Why would ASTs need to buy tickets for points?

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would ASTs need to buy tickets for points?
Maybe not then or maybe they have to buy a certain amount to keep the away ST? There is definitely more than a usual amount (and quite often in blocks of 2-4) available on FB.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe not then or maybe they have to buy a certain amount to keep the away ST? There is definitely more than a usual amount (and quite often in blocks of 2-4) available on FB.
Don't have to buy any. Used to be 75% but not anymore.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't have to buy any. Used to be 75% but not anymore.
But didn't the club say they would be monitoring it and reserved the right to take action if people weren't buying enough?

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Obvious solution is ID

Some prem clubs ID their fans at away turnstiles. Newcastle do this I think

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
But didn't the club say they would be monitoring it and reserved the right to take action if people weren't buying enough?
It seemed sensible to enforce a minimum in theory, but in practice it just pushed people into selling them on, so I'm glad they stopped the 75% rule.
Obvious solution is ID

Some prem clubs ID their fans at away turnstiles. Newcastle do this I think
Never heard this. I remember going to Leicester with my named ticket and passport!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think most STH will take up their seats and there will be a lot go to Membership Plus, so it will be likely to be a scramble for the corners I'd imagine. Good luck.
This is the issue I’ve had with a few games. There’s usually tickets available but I’m a bit loathed to travel up from the south, with all the costs involved, to sit in a temporary stand that’s open to the elements.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the arguement about supporters buying tickets to sell on to keep their points high. It boils my ****.

However, ID'ing everyone or having them pick up their tickets from the away ground would be a logistical nightmare. The best thing to do IMO would be to do random checks on the turnstiles. It would be a large deterrant.

I'm not sure how you stop people buying tickets and then simply not attending, but that's just nonsensical anyway.

It's been a major issue over the past few years when away tickets have been hard to come by, i.e the proverbial 'closed shop'. But this year, I don't think it's been as difficult for people to get away tickets.

There have been at least 6 or 7 league games to my knowledge that have gone down to members. When you add in the cup and pre-season games, realistically someone could be on 1120 points which would give them a chance at most away games.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the arguement about supporters buying tickets to sell on to keep their points high. It boils my ****.

However, ID'ing everyone or having them pick up their tickets from the away ground would be a logistical nightmare. The best thing to do IMO would be to do random checks on the turnstiles. It would be a large deterrant.

I'm not sure how you stop people buying tickets and then simply not attending, but that's just nonsensical anyway.

It's been a major issue over the past few years when away tickets have been hard to come by, i.e the proverbial 'closed shop'. But this year, I don't think it's been as difficult for people to get away tickets.

There have been at least 6 or 7 league games to my knowledge that have gone down to members. When you add in the cup and pre-season games, realistically someone could be on 1120 points which would give them a chance at most away games.
I can confirm that a few games have gone to members. I’ve been to Palace, West Ham and Brighton this season but haven’t been able to get tickets to other away games I’ve wanted to in London (Fulham was 100% a possibility for me, however). What I have noticed is that tickets don’t go back on sale as the game approaches like they do home tickets which says to me that nobody is returning them if they can’t attend.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can confirm that a few games have gone to members. I’ve been to Palace, West Ham and Brighton this season but haven’t been able to get tickets to other away games I’ve wanted to in London (Fulham was 100% a possibility for me, however). What I have noticed is that tickets don’t go back on sale as the game approaches like they do home tickets which says to me that nobody is returning them if they can’t attend.
Away tickets are non refundable.

“As this is a 'sale only' allocation, tickets are non-refundable”

Whatever “sale only” means.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Monday, another 'unsuccessful in the ballot' (Villa) email.
Has anybody ever benefited from the ballot? - I'm sceptical about whether all 147 tickets as claimed have gone into this.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Interestingly, Newcastle fans are starting to really complain about their away ticket policy after the club are doing what you suggested (and I don't think it is a bad idea). Their system for distributing away tickets is very similar to ours. This season, club officials have been doing spot checks at away games to ensure the name on the ticket matches the person with the ticket. They have caught out numerous fans doing this. If you are caught with a ticket that is not in your name, you get refused entry to the stadium, and the away ticket season ticket holder who is named on the ticket gets their loyalty points completely wiped out. If that away season ticket holder is caught a second time, they get their away season ticket taken off them and banned from applying for away tickets. It is interesting that they are actually taking measures to enforce the terms and conditions, much to the annoyance of the away season ticket holders.

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
Another Monday, another 'unsuccessful in the ballot' (Villa) email.
Has anybody ever benefited from the ballot? - I'm sceptical about whether all 147 tickets as claimed have gone into this.
I had the same unsuccessful email back this morning for Villa game. I was however successful in getting a Spurs ticket via the ballot, so presumably it does work.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interestingly, Newcastle fans are starting to really complain about their away ticket policy after the club are doing what you suggested (and I don't think it is a bad idea). Their system for distributing away tickets is very similar to ours. This season, club officials have been doing spot checks at away games to ensure the name on the ticket matches the person with the ticket. They have caught out numerous fans doing this. If you are caught with a ticket that is not in your name, you get refused entry to the stadium, and the away ticket season ticket holder who is named on the ticket gets their loyalty points completely wiped out. If that away season ticket holder is caught a second time, they get their away season ticket taken off them and banned from applying for away tickets. It is interesting that they are actually taking measures to enforce the terms and conditions, much to the annoyance of the away season ticket holders.

That sounds like a fantastic idea! Even if 1 or 2 fans are penalised for it, it will act as a huge deterrant for others.

Why would they complain about it, unless they are at risk of being caught?

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love to know the average age of a Wolves season ticket holder, as our fanbase appears to be quite old, at the stadium. I agree that many of those season ticket holders have been going to Wolves through the bad times and deserve credit for their loyal support.
We do have a problem, locking thousands of young supporters out and getting them hooked on Wolves. We desperately need a bigger stadium, to nurture the future generations of loyal Wolves supporters.

Back
Top Bottom