Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sean Dyche

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just sat opposite him on the train, I guess on his way back from his interview with Talksport this morning.

One of his old youth players when he was at Watford got on, he immediately recognised him and asked him how he was doing. Naturally my ears pricked up being the nosey bugger that I am. What struck me was how connected he was with his old players. He was only at Watford as manager for one season but knew what most of the players were doing. The guy who got on I didn't recognise. By the sounds of things they hadn't long lost touch, the guy had left football but SD was fully aware of what he was doing up until recently. It wasn't you was it @Tring Wolf ?!

Then SD started dropping in a few interesting tidbits. Was very coy when asked if he had received some offers to move on but said categorically that the level of autonomy he has at Burnley keeps him there. This really resonated vis-a-vis the situation with Nuno.

He had a moan about modern football. Said the sponsors practically gag him. Also said that youth players are really ruling the roost. Mentioned the Peter Beardsley issue and said they are constantly walking a tightrope with young players who take criticism too personally and claim abuse. The player agreed, said he remembers going to Yeovil Town with Luke Freeman and one other player who had come on loan from Arsenal and had oversized headphones on and a totally different attitude to the group they had. Also spoke a lot about some of the ex players who had suffered terrible injuries, said they had a particularly bad run due to the 'conditions' (I assume, the quality of the surface at Vicarage Road, which Mackay and Rodgers repeatedly complained about)

They also briefly talked about the Malky Mackay situation at Cardiff. Said it was the start of things going progressively downhill in football. Said messages like that went round all the time and he was made a scapegoat.

Really interesting stuff. Dyche seemed a genuine guy, just one wearing louboutins and a patek philippe watch :D

S

ShropshireLad

Just sat opposite him on the train, I guess on his way back from his interview with Talksport this morning.

One of his old youth players when he was at Watford got on, he immediately recognised him and asked him how he was doing. Naturally my ears pricked up being the nosey bugger that I am. What struck me was how connected he was with his old players. He was only at Watford as manager for one season but knew what most of the players were doing. The guy who got on I didn't recognise. By the sounds of things they hadn't long lost touch, the guy had left football but SD was fully aware of what he was doing up until recently. It wasn't you was it @Tring Wolf ?!

Then SD started dropping in a few interesting tidbits. Was very coy when asked if he had received some offers to move on but said categorically that the level of autonomy he has at Burnley keeps him there. This really resonated vis-a-vis the situation with Nuno.

He had a moan about modern football. Said the sponsors practically gag him. Also said that youth players are really ruling the roost. Mentioned the Peter Beardsley issue and said they are constantly walking a tightrope with young players who take criticism too personally and claim abuse. The player agreed, said he remembers going to Yeovil Town with Luke Freeman and one other player who had come on loan from Arsenal and had oversized headphones on and a totally different attitude to the group they had. Also spoke a lot about some of the ex players who had suffered terrible injuries, said they had a particularly bad run due to the 'conditions' (I assume, the quality of the surface at Vicarage Road, which Mackay and Rodgers repeatedly complained about)

They also briefly talked about the Malky Mackay situation at Cardiff. Said it was the start of things going progressively downhill in football. Said messages like that went round all the time and he was made a scapegoat.

Really interesting stuff. Dyche seemed a genuine guy, just one wearing louboutins and a patek philippe watch :D
Great post but I bet the watch was fake. :cool:

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's why we are very specific into our recruitment, we want the correct characters in our squads. In one sense, it resonates why we sign so few English players.
Always been amazed at the difference in maturity between Portuguese and UK players of same age. No use moaning abot not getting chances. Get the headphones off listen and learn. A few mercurial talents can do what they like but earn the chance, take the chance, learn from the chance.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a very good manager.

One I think Everton could do a lot worse than consider should Marco Silva continue his nose dive down the league.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must be a day for train travel. Travelled down to London. Someone got on at Coventry and sat diagonally opposite. Thought he looked familiar but couldn’t place him....until he got off at Watford....and then I was grumpy as I may have asked him if he enjoyed the atmosphere at Molineux last Saturday...Ben Foster.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must be a day for train travel. Travelled down to London. Someone got on at Coventry and sat diagonally opposite. Thought he looked familiar but couldn’t place him....until he got off at Watford....and then I was grumpy as I may have asked him if he enjoyed the atmosphere at Molineux last Saturday...Ben Foster.

Nobody else has features too small for their face quite like that man!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not surprised in the slighest he'd defend Beardsley and Mackay.
Jay Rodriguez is probably the closest to a foreigner Dyche has ever signed.

Must be honest that I read that and thought he's just part of that old school way of thinking. Times change. What is acceptable changes, whether we like it or not. The next generation will see their fair share of changes too.

Good manager though. Surely Everton must consider him.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He defended Beardlsey and Mackay? Sounds like an absolute ********. Expected nothing more from a "proper football man".

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you not talk to him? I'd loved to have a chat with him tbh. Any chance to talk football to while away the hours on a train journey!

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like SD until he speaks, he sounds like Phyllis off Coronation street....

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always been amazed at the difference in maturity between Portuguese and UK players of same age. No use moaning abot not getting chances. Get the headphones off listen and learn. A few mercurial talents can do what they like but earn the chance, take the chance, learn from the chance.
I totally agree. Neves at 22 is like a 32 year old. We choose not only on talent but attitude. They do specific research

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you not talk to him? I'd loved to have a chat with him tbh. Any chance to talk football to while away the hours on a train journey!
He was only on until Northampton, apparently he still lives there.

To clarify, he didn't stick up for Beardsley or Mackay, the player who bumped into him did. He said he saw the texts etc. Dyche added the bit about the young players coming in complaining at their treatment and implied because of the Beardsley situation it has made sorting between the genuine issues and player power a big change from when his former player played under him.

Dyche said barely anything about Mackay, I've just re-read my original post and it perhaps came across wrong. He did back up that times had changed but seemed keen to change the subject, he kept asking about a guy called Jenko. The other guy did the talking about Mackay. Whoever he was bumped into Tom Cleverly when he went out for dinner the other night :D

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a perfect fit for Burnley, and has done really well at Turf Moor. I wonder how how he would fare elsewhere, likewise I wonder how Burnley would do when he does leave.

D

Deleted member 4152

I think he is ball hoofing, time wasting, hypocritical ****** tbh

Anyone notice in the City game, how the reff made sure we carried on with the game and didn't waste any time? He more or less shoved vinagre in the back to start running instead of walking off. Could have done with him against burnley

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is ball hoofing, time wasting, hypocritical ****** tbh

Anyone notice in the City game, how the reff made sure we carried on with the game and didn't waste any time? He more or less shoved vinagre in the back to start running instead of walking off. Could have done with him against burnley

He went against his own rules by letting Vinagre walk off the pitch towards the dugouts rather than making him go off where he was. He actually did us a favour IMO.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a fine line between banter and bullying, people laud Alex Ferguson for being a great manager, and laugh about him giving players the "hairdryer treatment". To me having someone shouting in your face is bullying.

Not saying it’s correct all the time and sometimes shouting isn’t the best policy.

But just look at the discipline of kids in this country now, it’s an absolute joke.

Out of my friends who had discipline, including myself, we were the best behaved and had respect for our parents, the ones that didn’t spoke to their parents like a piece of crap
Isolated cases, who knows?, but stopping discipline at home and at school, is really not reaping rewards is it!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Cyncial, awful football and generally dislikable bloke. Moans about cheating when his teams cheat the paying punter by shortening the on field action with time wasting cheating.

T

themanwhobuiltthemoon

There is a fine line between banter and bullying, people laud Alex Ferguson for being a great manager, and laugh about him giving players the "hairdryer treatment". To me having someone shouting in your face is bullying.

Roy Keane gave an excellent assessment of Ferguson's man management on Monday Night Football a couple of weeks back. He said the "hairdryer" was overexaggerated a little bit (probably because of isolated incidents like the Beckham boot incident). Although Keane had a breakdown in relations with Ferguson, he said that Ferguson and Brian Clough both always had the knack of saying the right thing at the right time.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cyncial, awful football and generally dislikable bloke. Moans about cheating when his teams cheat the paying punter by shortening the on field action with time wasting cheating.

I agree , that’s why he doesn’t get the call to manage above dreadful Burnley.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Get a grip, there is a time and place and sometimes within football (and parenting) you need to give someone a damn good *******ing.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get a grip, there is a time and place and sometimes within football (and parenting) you need to give someone a damn good *******ing.
My 14 year old quit playing football, because he had a manager who constantly shouted at players. He had took it for 3 years and other players came and went during this period.

Being a mate of the manager, he pulled me to 1 side and asked why he had a high number of players leave?

My response was " if my son was in the garden and the bloke next door spoke to him like you do, i would break his nose!."

"We are expected to put up with it and pay you subs for the privilege."

He seemed to listen, for a while but things deteriorated again and my son left, confidence shot.

My son is now 22 and has started running his own fairly successful team, his mantra is enjoy the sport first and the kids love playing

Last edited:

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying it’s correct all the time and sometimes shouting isn’t the best policy.

But just look at the discipline of kids in this country now, it’s an absolute joke.

Out of my friends who had discipline, including myself, we were the best behaved and had respect for our parents, the ones that didn’t spoke to their parents like a piece of crap
Isolated cases, who knows?, but stopping discipline at home and at school, is really not reaping rewards is it!

As an ex serviceman myself, you have my utmost agreement, sir.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My 14 year old quit playing football, because he had a manager who constantly shouted at players. He had took it for 3 years and other players came and went during this period.

Being a mate of the manager, he pulled me to 1 side and asked why he had a high number of players leave?

My response was " if my son was in the garden and the bloke next door spoke to him like you do, i would break his nose!."

"We are expected to put up with it and pay you subs for the privilege."

He seemed to listen, for a while but things deteriorated again and my son left, confidence shot.

My son is now 22 and has started running his own fairly successful team, his mantra is enjoy the sport first and the kids love playing

There's a real culture problem with kids football. A lot of it stems from the desire of the managers and in some cases parents to win at all costs.

For the most part the kids play because they love it, because it's fun, because football is the greatest game in the world. I know that was the reason I did it for so long.

It starts off like that but as the child gets older there is a clamour for success.

Some parents are chasing the dream and living vicariously through their kids. I know I've seen it first hand.

'The kids got talent, let's 'encourage' it so they make it and earn **** loads of money and by proxy buy them a house!'

It's like winning the lottery.

Managers are the same, what manager/coach doesn't want to be the guy that discovered the next Messi?!? All it takes is ranting and raving on the touchline.

I was relatively lucky, I was encouraged all the way until I had to retire but I've seen kids with more talent than I ever had walk away at 14, 15, 16 because the pressure being put on them is too much.

It sounds like your son has the right idea. First and foremost the game is about fun and enjoyment. Any growth into the sport should be encouraged but not to the detriment of their mental well being.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an ex serviceman myself, you have my utmost agreement, sir.

My parents generation had that said about them. Mine did. Every school year apparently was worse. Now it's the current ones.

I'm not saying there aren't generation specific issues but every generation says 'kids these days', 'wasn't like that in my day', 'it's different this time', 'ni discipline', 'books/comics/tv/videos/games/social media are destroying children'...

D

Deleted member 3573J

Ferguson was a disciplinarian not a bully, I don't think he'd have lasted as long as he did if he was a bully. As someone else has said, the 'hairdryer' was exaggerated, loads of his former players have said it was very rare. It's the same with Roy Keane, there's a perception that he was this angry Irish man ranting around the dressing room every day, Gary Neville said recently that this was wrong and his rants were actually rare and was very popular with the squad, even a bit of a joker who enjoyed a laugh.

I read yesterday a story about Ferguson where he used to tell his young players to forget about the money, concentrate on their football and they'd be handsomely rewarded. Pogba who'd played 3 games didn't take his advice though and demanded his wages were doubled to 30k and Ferguson said no. It's often said that decision cost them £90m but how much have they wasted on young players since then who didn't concentrate on their football, did nothing for the club but got handsomely rewarded anyway? 100s of millions. They have a squad full of young players who've done nothing but earn £120k+ a week.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant swear by it but I have a sneaky feeling you might just be referring to their match against us.;):cool:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a real culture problem with kids football. A lot of it stems from the desire of the managers and in some cases parents to win at all costs.

For the most part the kids play because they love it, because it's fun, because football is the greatest game in the world. I know that was the reason I did it for so long.

It starts off like that but as the child gets older there is a clamour for success.

Some parents are chasing the dream and living vicariously through their kids. I know I've seen it first hand.

'The kids got talent, let's 'encourage' it so they make it and earn **** loads of money and by proxy buy them a house!'

It's like winning the lottery.

Managers are the same, what manager/coach doesn't want to be the guy that discovered the next Messi?!? All it takes is ranting and raving on the touchline.

I was relatively lucky, I was encouraged all the way until I had to retire but I've seen kids with more talent than I ever had walk away at 14, 15, 16 because the pressure being put on them is too much.

It sounds like your son has the right idea. First and foremost the game is about fun and enjoyment. Any growth into the sport should be encouraged but not to the detriment of their mental well being.
There was a lad who played for him, loved the game. Never missed training, always gave 100% and played with a smile. Was decent, but didnt stand out.

Last season he started to skip the odd session and seem like he had lost any interest. My lad had a word 1 game with his dad, who claimed he had no idea what was wrong.

A few weeks passed, and things deteriorated to a point where the lad was crying and wanted to leave my sons team.

It turned out the dad was forcing him to train with a team that had connections with academies and wanted him to signfor them.

My son had a word with dad, explaining how leaving a team, with friends and an ethos of improving skillsets, teamwork and enjoyment would harm the lad. He didnt listen and théy left.

His ex team mates told my son things hadnt worked for him, but dad refused to ask if he could return, and the kid no longer played.

Took my lad 2 mins to talk the kid into coming back, and his smile has returned.

Im not trying to big my son up, but sometimes people love what they do, coaches in any sport all have qualifications, but some can see past the talent and realise not everyone can be the best. But to encourage these type of kids to play football 2 or 3 times a week is fantastic for their health, mental health and social skills.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Michael Kightly was talking about Micky Hazard last night and the pressure he put on them, it made him fall out of love with the game. Plenty of players do the same.

lycophilos

Reaction score
My parents generation had that said about them. Mine did. Every school year apparently was worse. Now it's the current ones.

I'm not saying there aren't generation specific issues but every generation says 'kids these days', 'wasn't like that in my day', 'it's different this time', 'ni discipline', 'books/comics/tv/videos/games/social media are destroying children'...

Yes indeed.

As part of my training to become a church minister, I had to spend a couple of sessions at an Oxford comprehensive in one of the rougher areas of the city. I think I didn't do too badly in the session I took, especially as I hadn't had any teacher training, but I could feel that a breakdown in discipline was only a whisker away. What was more depressing for me was sitting in on the session with the regular teacher, as it was quite obvious that he had just given up on the task of teaching the class.

This was in the mid '70s. I don't believe in the idea that kids were so much better behaved then. Some were, some definitely weren't.

By the way, complaining about the indiscipline of then current youth goes back at least as far as ancient Greece in the 5th century BC!

Back
Top Bottom