Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sasa Kalajdzic & Fabio Silva

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
January really isn’t the best time to be looking.

I agree, but my point is that we re not just looking in January, we’ve been looking for months. So the fact we’re agreeing to forwards leaving suggests we are confident we can bring people in. It’s not like the summer when we had to just sell people to raise money. We don’t now, so this is about strengthening the squad by releasing players which aren’t being used or don’t fit and bringing in those which do.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
January is a horrible time to buy a striker. Everyone wants one. Which is why we should’ve gotten something for Fabio.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
January is a horrible time to buy a striker. Everyone wants one. Which is why we should’ve gotten something for Fabio.

Why, what difference would that make? If it’s difficult to sign someone, selling a player for a knock down price is hardly going to help. Fabio is an unproven (at this level) striker, so nobody is going to take a serious punt on him. Instead getting him to a club where he might play and score is more likely to boost his value ahead of a sale in the summer.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Mgw is captain of a premier league team so weird thing to say.
Next season we will get to see Nuno and GON operating in the same division with time to prepare their squads and styles.

It will be fascinating to see who comes out on top. The styles will be different, I suspect we will score and concede more goals but who will finish on top?

Last edited:

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why, what difference would that make? If it’s difficult to sign someone, selling a player for a knock down price is hardly going to help. Fabio is an unproven (at this level) striker, so nobody is going to take a serious punt on him. Instead getting him to a club where he might play and score is more likely to boost his value ahead of a sale in the summer.
Strikers come at a premium this time of year. Every manager thinks he needs one. A little patience would’ve been good., perhaps it would’ve been wiser to have waited until the window actually opened.to see what happened. Someone might’ve missed their targets, panicked and bought Fabio for a decent price but we pushed him out the door ASAP just to get rid.

Do you really think he’s likely to boost his value in Scotland? How many goals would that take? He’d have to get off to a flying start and not stop.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strikers come at a premium this time of year. Every manager thinks he needs one. A little patience would’ve been good., perhaps it would’ve been wiser to have waited until the window actually opened.to see what happened. Someone might’ve missed their targets, panicked and bought Fabio for a decent price but we pushed him out the door ASAP just to get rid.

Do you really think he’s likely to boost his value in Scotland? How many goals would that take? He’d have to get off to a flying start and not stop.

I don’t know. Rangers are straight through to the last 16 of the Europa League, so perhaps he will get his chance to shine there if he proves himself in the league before then? It’s hardly the worst place for him to get back into contention.

As for doing better, then dream on. He’s not shone in the PL, so nobody is going to buy him without a loan first. Outside of the PL, few clubs have the funds to pay what we’d want now, and they won’t spend that amount of money on an unproven striker. So if he’s not going to play for us, better he goes out on loan again, and someone else pay his wages. As time progresses, his book value drops, and what we’d need to avoid a FFP loss, shrinks. So loan it is, ideally to a club where he can play regular football at a decent level. In that context, Rangers in the SPL and Europa League, is not a bad option.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW is a resounding success.
Call me crazy, just had a thought. Would MGW at Real Madrid next to Bellingham work or are they too similar? They both have that ability to drive through the middle.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Every club knows every player, if he knocks a few in for Rangers he might get taken as an in form striker, sitting on our bench his value won’t go up.
Or someone else's bench. That would be even worse. He needs to show a bloody pulse. His performances this season for wolves have been absolutely catastrophic. He looks like a headless chicken, and worryingly he looks to have not developed much physically.

I think the notion banging in the goals in Scotland is worthless is nonsense. It's perhaps a conservative move, but he NEEDS to show something or else Wolves could be looking at a total wash

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that, but Sarabia proves it's harsh.

If he hadn't scored a worldie and provided an assists in literally 7 minutes, all the evidence would suggest he would be on the bench and ready to leave in January.

So sometimes you need to give players a bit of a chance to see if they can play the way you want. I don't think Sasa has had enough opportunities so far to make a judgement either way.
O'Neil said that he'd been impressed with the way that Sarabia had been working in training, and deserved his chance. "All the evidence" that we see does not include all the evidence that O'Neil sees.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sign a striker with some genuine pace and power we will be miles better off under O’Neil than we are with these two. Kaladzjic looks a decent player and would likely feature more under a different coach, but Silva just looks miles off to me. Not sure O’Neil disagrees?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won't miss Sasa or Silva if we end-up getting rid permanently.

Sasa was a risky signing at the time and his subsequent injury and rehab means he seems brittle, lacks confidence and the few times I've seen him play not done too much, albeit, he scored a couple (one of which came off his shoulder). Not sure he'll ever get back to the level that tempted us to sign him.
Silva - I've done to death and won't go over old ground.

Hope we can get someone more in-tune with how we want to play and who stays fit. What about the kids? Haven't seen much of them, but is Fraser or anyone else ready or close?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won't miss Sasa or Silva if we end-up getting rid permanently.

Sasa was a risky signing at the time and his subsequent injury and rehab means he seems brittle, lacks confidence and the few times I've seen him play not done too much, albeit, he scored a couple (one of which came off his shoulder). Not sure he'll ever get back to the level that tempted us to sign him.
Silva - I've done to death and won't go over old ground.

Hope we can get someone more in-tune with how we want to play and who stays fit. What about the kids? Haven't seen much of them, but is Fraser or anyone else ready or close?
No the kids are miles off... understandably....Fraser would probably struggle keeping a shirt at somewhere like Shrewsbury....again understandable given his age ...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that, but Sarabia proves it's harsh.

If he hadn't scored a worldie and provided an assists in literally 7 minutes, all the evidence would suggest he would be on the bench and ready to leave in January.

So sometimes you need to give players a bit of a chance to see if they can play the way you want. I don't think Sasa has had enough opportunities so far to make a judgement either way.
Not to mention the following game, which we lost, Sarabia didn't get on at all with the game at 2-2. It begged the question of what exactly did players have to do to get a chance because if producing a world class, match turning ten minute spell didn't earn you an opportunity of regular minutes then everyone on the fringes may as well give up

There were a lot of questions asked of O'Neil by fans after that Fulham game as to how/why the match winner from the previous match hadn't got on the pitch in a game that was there for the taking if we had a bit of quality in the final third. Now obviously, he's got in, is getting regular starts and we're benefitting from his quality, but if Sarabia is the example of what's needed to get a chance to break into the side, it's arguable the bar is too high

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
January really isn’t the best time to be looking.
Sasa and Silva will hopefully improve a team when they leave. And Wolves are just one of many clubs that want players not quite up to standard or not good for their system to move on. And I expect some teams have FFP problems like we had..

Last edited:

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you say he is un proven at prem. Level? He is 21! There are very few players central at that age. Judge him at 26. We took a punt, paying back a few favours, do not put frustrations on a young player. He needs games. If he and his advisors are bright they will insist on loans for game time. Up then to him to chose right level and deliver.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to mention the following game, which we lost, Sarabia didn't get on at all with the game at 2-2. It begged the question of what exactly did players have to do to get a chance because if producing a world class, match turning ten minute spell didn't earn you an opportunity of regular minutes then everyone on the fringes may as well give up

There were a lot of questions asked of O'Neil by fans after that Fulham game as to how/why the match winner from the previous match hadn't got on the pitch in a game that was there for the taking if we had a bit of quality in the final third. Now obviously, he's got in, is getting regular starts and we're benefitting from his quality, but if Sarabia is the example of what's needed to get a chance to break into the side, it's arguable the bar is too high
Having taken 10 points from a possible 15, it'll be even harder to get in at the moment.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doubt moving to a pub league in Scotland is going to enhance his value.
It won't. Perhaps Wolves recognise this and just want him gone for nothing.

If Rangers or somebody else are willing to meet his wage demands and eventually sign him permanently, that's about as good as it will get - £3m to £5m a year off the wage bill and an extra place in the squad for someone else.

Perhaps a Saudi club could bung ten million Jeff's way if he does amazingly well at Rangers; but we are not getting one tenth of his original fee back as things stand..

We've had many successes in the transfer market this last six years or so. Silva is just a very expensive exception to the rule, though Guedes could well join him soon.

Back
Top Bottom