Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sammy Szmodics

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t doubt there’s some players to look at it in the championship and I get the examples of Bowen, Watkins etc but they are VERY few and far between. Every season there’s 500 plus players in that division so it’s going to throw the odd one up. However you have to look at the sheer gap in the EPL to the championship as to the “level”. All 3 teams promoted last year had on paper some good players and they look like coming straight back down. Ryan Giles ripped it up last season in that division and some lost their heads on here at us “throwing him away” and he can’t cement a place for Luton.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a strange league as there's an awful lot of "journey men" around who weren't really good enough for that league the best part of 5 years ago and with the way those coming up have performed it's certainly become a weaker league imv.

Leif Davis would be one for me if we continue with a back 5 next year and lose one of RAN or Bueno, could also fill in like Toti does as a CB-LB .

Sara from Norwich would be another, continuing our Brazilian theme, can play a few different roles in the middle of the pitch but probably won't come cheap.

Jacob Greaves has looked good at Hull for a young-ish CB and without falling into the trap over his surname, Jobe's done pretty well for just 18 years old with Sunderland but neither would probably add the required squad depth we need to in the for their costs.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Ryan Giles ripped it up last season in that division and some lost their heads on here at us “throwing him away” and he can’t cement a place for Luton.
So much so that they sent him on loan to hull. Not sure he’s playing regularly for them either

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for signings like this, somebody to challenge what is already there and also somebody who understands that he is a squad player and will need to earn the right to play more than most. Our squad needs this sort of signing as much as it needs guaranteed starters, imo.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this needs to be explored as an option. Let's be honest he couldn't be worse than Cutrone or Fabio ? .

Also if playing in England surely easier to settle. As already playing in the country .

I doubt he will be banging 15/20 goals in a season. But I think our backup options wouldn't get that many goals in 3 seasons anyway. Would our backup options score the goals he has for Blackburn in one season in the championship?. I doubt it very much if they can't score against league one teams in Scotland.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this needs to be explored as an option. Let's be honest he couldn't be worse than Cutrone or Fabio ? .

Also if playing in England surely easier to settle. As already playing in the country .

I doubt he will be banging 15/20 goals in a season. But I think our backup options wouldn't get that many goals in 3 seasons anyway. Would our backup options score the goals he has for Blackburn in one season in the championship?. I doubt it very much if they can't score against league one teams in Scotland.
Silva can’t be the benchmark though surely? The fact someone will do better than silva isn’t a good enough reason to sign someone

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t say that though did I??? I said he wasn’t ready yet.

After you saying Cundle was going to be better than Paul Scholes I’m probably not taking you’re critical assessment on any player to be honest.
Both was having rave reviews at Plymouth look at how their season fallen off without Cundle speaks volumes. You didn’t want Whittaker said he’s not good enough fair enough let’s see if Lazio still want him

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That is why we have coaches. In theory the higher the division, the better the coaching should be. Gary O'Neil has proved he can improve players so some might be worth a try.

A good coach should be able to improve a player by twenty percent. Provided they want to improve and not just take the money.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both was having rave reviews at Plymouth look at how their season fallen off without Cundle speaks volumes. You didn’t want Whittaker said he’s not good enough fair enough let’s see if Lazio still want him
You really want to stand by the “Cundle will be better than Scholes” bit? Amazing! Hes started one game in 7 for a woeful Stoke team. To compare the two is ridiculous bordering on bizarre.

Re Whittaker. I said he’s not good enough right now (he might never be). Rumours of Lazio wanting him mean absolutely zip, plus they’re a team in 7th in an inferior league to us. If all our forwards were fit tomorrow who’s he getting in front of?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You really want to stand by the “Cundle will be better than Scholes” bit? Amazing! Hes started one game in 7 for a woeful Stoke team. To compare the two is ridiculous bordering on bizarre.

Re Whittaker. I said he’s not good enough right now (he might never be). Rumours of Lazio wanting him mean absolutely zip, plus they’re a team in 7th in an inferior league to us. If all our forwards were fit tomorrow who’s he getting in front of?
Cundle we will never know how good he is now, his reputation has been tarnished at Stoke. Hopefully Gaz doesn’t overlook him.

It’s not just about players for the starting x11 we need a squad to stop us failing when an injury crisis hits us.

Lazio have quality players as do we. An interesting comparison for them and Wolves

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I don’t doubt there’s some players to look at it in the championship and I get the examples of Bowen, Watkins etc but they are VERY few and far between. Every season there’s 500 plus players in that division so it’s going to throw the odd one up. However you have to look at the sheer gap in the EPL to the championship as to the “level”. All 3 teams promoted last year had on paper some good players and they look like coming straight back down. Ryan Giles ripped it up last season in that division and some lost their heads on here at us “throwing him away” and he can’t cement a place for Luton.
Not so many years ago there was a club in the Championship that had more than a handful of excellent players that would go on to make it in the Premier League. Oh hang on, that was us.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so many years ago there was a club in the Championship that had more than a handful of excellent players that would go on to make it in the Premier League. Oh hang on, that was us.
Exactly! If we don’t want to take risks we need a richer owner

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one full of Mendes players, that everyone in football was bleating about due to it not being fair. Hardly a comparison. I think after the first 5 minutes of Jota, Neves, Boly that even Stevie Wonder could see we’d had more than a helping hand! Of last years 3 promoted teams or indeed any team in the championship now had a squad anywhere remotely as good as ours?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one said about not taking risks? Moreso we’ll take a risk from the foreign market rather than the over inflated British one.
We don’t need other Fabio/Guedes types milking us or other players that ain’t up to it. We have plenty in the academy for that according to yourself. We need quality over quantity to take us to the next level????????

Let’s face it looks like we could have a few leave if the right offer comes

Still no talk of a new deal for Semedo either

Another season of transition is going to upset the fan base while the stadium can’t even be painted

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent point . The times we walk out and the height disparity is obvious. Then the first thing we do is play a high ball! I would love a couple of giants to cause havoc at set pieces and help us defend them too.
Only if they can jump. Thinking Sasa.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If all our forwards were fit tomorrow who’s he getting in front of?
There aren't many forwards that are going to be getting in front of our front three when they are fit. Problem is, there are going to be hardly any occasions when all three are fit. Maybe having some back up that actually wants to be here isn't a bad idea?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t need other Fabio/Guedes types milking us or other players that ain’t up to it. We have plenty in the academy for that according to yourself. We need quality over quantity to take us to the next level????????

Let’s face it looks like we could have a few leave if the right offer comes

Still no talk of a new deal for Semedo either

Another season of transition is going to upset the fan base while the stadium can’t even be painted
So you’ve named two players “milking us” who’ve come from abroad, what about the dozen plus who’ve come from abroad who’ve been a massive success.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There aren't many forwards that are going to be getting in front of our front three when they are fit. Problem is, there are going to be hardly any occasions when all three are fit. Maybe having some back up that actually wants to be here isn't a bad idea?
If Whittakers stock is that high, is he going to be happy here as “back up” ?? Sasa and Fabio clearly weren’t

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you’ve named two players “milking us” who’ve come from abroad, what about the dozen plus who’ve come from abroad who’ve been a massive success.
We should have more success absolutely!!

Mendes is the most powerful agent in the world, he knows what he is doing with us. Hence how he got us these amazing players under Nuno then that ended when he left funny that

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have more success absolutely!!

Mendes is the most powerful agent in the world, he knows what he is doing with us. Hence how he got us these amazing players under Nuno then that ended when he left funny that
You do know that even if he doesn’t act as a players agent he still brokers deals for us, right? Lemina, Cunha for example were brokered by him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
DE8B2846-3F53-463A-8344-6F8BA16BC420.jpegYou do know that even if he doesn’t act as a players agent he still brokers deals for us, right? Lemina, Cunha for example were brokered by him.
Interesting talking Wolves said different

Hobbs said we want to use his stable less and that matches up with what Iv heard.

Let’s hope he finds guedes and silva a club then!!

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hope we do go for hungry Championship players, although worry they will be more expensive than we think. Should Norwich stay down, what about Josh Sargent?

I just hope and prey Shi backs O’Neil with a decent transfer budget to bolster the squad with decent, hungry, players.
Josh Sargent isn’t good enough for the prem - he’s quick in a straight line, presses, and his finishing is ok.

What that means is he can only play in a certain kind of way, and needs quite a few chances to score.

He’d really struggle in the prem, as he can’t dribble at all, and isn’t particularly good at anything.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting talking Wolves said different

Hobbs said we want to use his stable less and that matches up with what Iv heard.

Let’s hope he finds guedes and silva a club then!!
We don’t just sign Gestifute players but we do use them heavily to broker deals. That won’t alter because of how they’re positioned alongside Fosun.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said before Jorge has nothing to do with Lemina....that's was Hobbs...Jorge was all over the deals for Cunha and Sarabia......The midfielder than Jorge and lopetugui wanted was Guido Rodriguez from Betis.....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t just sign Gestifute players but we do use them heavily to broker deals. That won’t alter because of how they’re positioned alongside Fosun.
Well I can’t see him brokering the Szmodics deal going back on topic lol

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gyokeres is ripping it up at Sporting in Portugal after moving from Coventry and there were rumours we were after him last season. He’s got a massive release clause in his contract after just one season.

He's been amazing, but he looked like a big lump in the Championship....you could see why people thought he wouldn't be quick or fit enough in the faster game at the money he wanted. Apparently his agent had about 20 offers and he picked Sporting, it was the right choice. He will get a big big move now, then has to prove he can do it in a premier league somewhere better than Portgual.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one full of Mendes players, that everyone in football was bleating about due to it not being fair. Hardly a comparison. I think after the first 5 minutes of Jota, Neves, Boly that even Stevie Wonder could see we’d had more than a helping hand! Of last years 3 promoted teams or indeed any team in the championship now had a squad anywhere remotely as good as ours?

Yeah, i think we forget how awful we were before...just another run-of-the-mill team.
Was reading an Everton forum where they are terrified about going down. Even Villa spent years bumming around and only scraped themselves out of the Championship before their parachute money ran out.
Under new rules if you get relegated with big debt, you need to get back up instantly or you're ****ed and will get picked to pieces before you're squeezed into a restrictive business model. Even a club like Everton who could pull 45,000 each home game would find it hard to remove the noose from their neck, that's not enough to pay their debts with the far poorer TV revenue.
It may even give the advantage to a another Luton with a thin squad earning nothing who can put together a 9 month run with no complications to worry about.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been amazing, but he looked like a big lump in the Championship....you could see why people thought he wouldn't be quick or fit enough in the faster game at the money he wanted. Apparently his agent had about 20 offers and he picked Sporting, it was the right choice. He will get a big big move now, then has to prove he can do it in a premier league somewhere better than Portgual.
I don't agree that he looked like a lump at all. He looked as comfortable out wide at times as he did playing centrally. He's a bull in a China shop, he would have suited the Premier League very well.

Not sure there's an equivalent in the Championship this year. I like Rutter at Leeds a lot, hasn't scored a great deal but very unselfish, and destined for bigger things if Leeds bottle promotion. Jon Rowe, Crysencio Summerville, and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall also outstanding. There are a lot of outstanding players in the Championship this year. The problem is, none of them are cheap. Gyokeres went for £20m, Scott went for £25m, Ndiaye went to Marseille for £20m.

I do think there is a lot less risk investing in the "cream of the crop" in the Championship though. The bedding in process is a lot easier. There's no guarantees in football, but I think if you stand out at Championship level there's a good chance you can make that step-up.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva can’t be the benchmark though surely? The fact someone will do better than silva isn’t a good enough reason to sign someone
So you happy going into next season with Sasa sponsored by Bupa , Fabio , Fraser and the other kids as backup ?

As Hwang and Neto are hardly injury free are they so we need competitive backup not crap backup to the 11 .

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't agree that he looked like a lump at all. He looked as comfortable out wide at times as he did playing centrally. He's a bull in a China shop, he would have suited the Premier League very well.

Not sure there's an equivalent in the Championship this year. I like Rutter at Leeds a lot, hasn't scored a great deal but very unselfish, and destined for bigger things if Leeds bottle promotion. Jon Rowe, Crysencio Summerville, and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall also outstanding. There are a lot of outstanding players in the Championship this year. The problem is, none of them are cheap. Gyokeres went for £20m, Scott went for £25m, Ndiaye went to Marseille for £20m.

I do think there is a lot less risk investing in the "cream of the crop" in the Championship though. The bedding in process is a lot easier. There's no guarantees in football, but I think if you stand out at Championship level there's a good chance you can make that step-up.

I only watched him towards the end of the season when his goals dried up, just couldn;t see what he would add.

I agree with the rest, but it takes a brave club to pay that money for someone unproven...sometimes it is the lesser clubs who do take that risk and it pays off. They have to pay a huge amount for their club, which bigger clubs would pay for a reserve and stick them on the bench and not worry about.

I've always had a soft spot for how Burnley did it, right from when they took Sam Vokes from us for peanuts and turned him into a Premier League striker when he'd looked very ordinary for us....he's played another 450 games since then.
They did the same with Chris Wood, who'd appeared for about 9 clubs in the Championship then as soon as he looked to have nailed it, snaffled him up and moved him up a level. He's never looked back.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Greaves, Philogene, Whittaker, Sara, Harwood-Bellis, Summerville all players we should have on our radar from the Champ this year. Lots of good players in there.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's not terrible. He's done well in an ordinary side..
Worked his way up from a kid at derby fits the young and hungry.

Some fans will never be happy with championship players they want the big boy Mendes clients

Back
Top Bottom