Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saint George's Park

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went today for a tour of the facilities and a training session for my lad's team. What a place, you can see where the Sky money goes, the players want for nothing. They certainly can't blame the facilities for lack of success.

First stop of the tour the Billy Wright dressing room, was great to see that and really proud of my lad who told the guy doing the tour who it was. Felt rather smug amongst some of the stripy lot with us.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not been to Lilleshall or Bisham Abbey so can't really comment, however St George's really is breathtaking, the scale of the place, you have to see it to believe it.

The England u19s were there yesterday having played Spain on Friday. Just read one of my boyhood heroes our very own Psycho is their manager, wish I'd bumped into him.

W

WolfOfWellington

I've worked at St George's Park on numerous ocassions - only at the hotel part though (conference setups). I’ve not seen much of the football facilities other than the numerous training pitches that are visible on the long drive down to the hotel, plus anything I've seen on TV.

I'm actually quite jealous that you got a tour though QB. You've trained the youngling well too - good work!

I turned up for a pre-event site inspection there around 18 months ago and was waiting for a colleague in the lobby. Gareth Southgate was sat right behind me, having a meeting of his own. He was U-21's main man at that point. I pointed him out to my none footballing colleague who was suitably underwhelmed!

Youre absolutely right, there certainly hasn't been a lack of money spent on this facility. It should start to pay huge dividends in 3 - 7 years.

Though England were late to the party compared to the rest of Europe with a football specific national training facility. Spain has long had the Ciudad del Futbol near Madrid (est. 2003), France Clairefontaine on the outskirts of Paris (est. 1988) and Italy's Coverciano in Florence (est. 1958).

Nonetheless, St George's Park is a massive leap forward in the right direction for English football. Lilleshall and Bisham Abbey totally out-dated for way the modern game operates. Academies at club level were leaving Lilleshall and Bisham Abbey behind with no central hub specifically for our Natonal team.

Just maybe due to the fact Southgate has already spent 4 years in around the St Georges Park facility - he could just be the right man to get the best out of our 1st team in the medium future (if he gets time).

I'm sure at some point St George's Park will produce the goods. Then it can become a great source of inspiration for the generations that follow.

E

Essex Wolf

Your lad QB already sounds as though he knows his stuff about the Wolves and it's good to read such stuff.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I've not been to Lilleshall or Bisham Abbey so can't really comment, however St George's really is breathtaking, the scale of the place, you have to see it to believe it.

The England u19s were there yesterday having played Spain on Friday. Just read one of my boyhood heroes our very own Psycho is their manager, wish I'd bumped into him.

I think they wanted a dedicated football facility. If ever there was an example of how football is king St George's Park is it. Maybe a bit of a loss in terms of sharing ideas between sports.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm just glad they built it in the midlands. I think I remember that Trevor Brooking was trying to get it moved darn sarf up until it was built.

Indeed., especially given that it nearly didn't get built as they were throwing money at an incredibly expensive Wembley rebuild when they could have done something off the M42 for a fraction of the price.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed., especially given that it nearly didn't get built as they were throwing money at an incredibly expensive Wembley rebuild when they could have done something off the M42 for a fraction of the price.

Nah, Wembley is Wembley! My only regret considering how much they did spend, is why they didn't knock down and rebuild the towers at the end of the Wembley Way. £10m out of £870m would have been worth the pennies.

E

Essex Wolf

I'm just glad they built it in the midlands. I think I remember that Trevor Brooking was trying to get it moved darn sarf up until it was built.
Yes well as we all know the world revolves about London according to some and in some things that might be correct but not when it comes to football.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went today for a tour of the facilities and a training session for my lad's team. What a place, you can see where the Sky money goes, the players want for nothing. They certainly can't blame the facilities for lack of success.

All these fancy facilities dont seem to do us any good though. I think the youngsters just get an inflated opinion of their own worth. A little bit more hardship wouldnt come amiss IMO. Will never happen though of course.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All these fancy facilities dont seem to do us any good though. I think the youngsters just get an inflated opinion of their own worth. A little bit more hardship wouldnt come amiss IMO. Will never happen though of course.
Must admit I said the same thing to one of the other dad's, makes you wonder where the hunger and desire comes from, when it all comes so easily to them.

Wombat

Groupie
Reaction score
Another consideration is that there is an airfield next door (Tatenhill) with and all weather runway so it is easier to get in and out for players and others. I fly from this airfield and it is used all the time by people involved with St George's park.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've worked at St George's Park on numerous ocassions - only at the hotel part though (conference setups). I’ve not seen much of the football facilities other than the numerous training pitches that are visible on the long drive down to the hotel, plus anything I've seen on TV.

I'm actually quite jealous that you got a tour though QB. You've trained the youngling well too - good work!

I turned up for a pre-event site inspection there around 18 months ago and was waiting for a colleague in the lobby. Gareth Southgate was sat right behind me, having a meeting of his own. He was U-21's main man at that point. I pointed him out to my none footballing colleague who was suitably underwhelmed!

Youre absolutely right, there certainly hasn't been a lack of money spent on this facility. It should start to pay huge dividends in 3 - 7 years.

Though England were late to the party compared to the rest of Europe with a football specific national training facility. Spain has long had the Ciudad del Futbol near Madrid (est. 2003), France Clairefontaine on the outskirts of Paris (est. 1988) and Italy's Coverciano in Florence (est. 1958).

Nonetheless, St George's Park is a massive leap forward in the right direction for English football. Lilleshall and Bisham Abbey totally out-dated for way the modern game operates. Academies at club level were leaving Lilleshall and Bisham Abbey behind with no central hub specifically for our Natonal team.

Just maybe due to the fact Southgate has already spent 4 years in around the St Georges Park facility - he could just be the right man to get the best out of our 1st team in the medium future (if he gets time).

I'm sure at some point St George's Park will produce the goods. Then it can become a great source of inspiration for the generations that follow.
Agree with this, it's also refreshing to see the Midlands, well, central location taken advantage of for once.

Didn't we play at Clairefontaine recently pre-season?

Back
Top Bottom