Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would it be fair to say that it is Shi that is incompetent rather than Fosun? The overall investment has been reasonable, although hard to explain this window, when minimal expenditure could have elevated us into top 6 territory with all the financial benefits being higher up the table brings. Replace Shi with someone with a football brain maybe acceptable, failure to do this and Fosun allow themselves to look, by association, as incompetent as Shi. As for JL, whilst I would have liked to see what he could do after a full preason, that is soley based on a single pretty decent game in preseason as last years football was painful to watch.
It's worth noting that JL had handed his notice in prior to that preseason game. So were the player busting a gut to tempt him to change his mind, or celebrating his departure?
Problem with that is if it’s Shi then who left him in charge

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been wondering if whoever doesn't get Man Utd looks at Wolves instead. No way Ratcliffe accepts a minority stake though.
Why? We really don't compare with United as a brand or investment project. We are in the Premier League, but that is virtually the only selling point to an outside interest. If we were in London maybe, but apart from PL status we don't have anything that makes us a better prospect than any of the other clubs outside the favored six. If you want to invest in a PL club why choose Wolves? We are based in a small post industrial city, just outside Birmingham, that very few people internationally have even heard of. Oh yes, we have a nice badge and a cool nickname, but that's it.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope that isn't about bumping up the fee..... or a Joleon style agreement.

I REALLY want Max to stay.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, especially if there is interest from multiple clubs. Fosun will be hopjng they can get more for him given his contract extension.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? We really don't compare with United as a brand or investment project. We are in the Premier League, but that is virtually the only selling point to an outside interest. If we were in London maybe, but apart from PL status we don't have anything that makes us a better prospect than any of the other clubs outside the favored six. If you want to invest in a PL club why choose Wolves? We are based in a small post industrial city, just outside Birmingham, that very few people internationally have even heard of. Oh yes, we have a nice badge and a cool nickname, but that's it.
We've got a bloody great story, and it's true. Of how a working class town at the centre of the industrial revolution gave birth to one of the first truly great football teams, helped inspire European competition, then like the industry surrounding it faded and got lost in a world of profit, greed and advertising; how we kept fighting, kept loyal, then overreached and went down so quickly rhat everything was lost except the loyal, the honest fans, that sang those were the days and kept hoping that out of darkness cometh light, that went to the Sherpa Van with over 50000 and kept the faith. That so nearly achieved it under a player who sacrificed personal ambition for his club and then a man who bled financial gold and black, so close, so damn exhausting.
And then Nuno. Had a dream. To build our football team. With Chinese owners and some wonders kids from Portugal and elsewhere who we loved and who loved us. And we came so damn damn close again! But by god, the journey. What a helluva ride. What a story.
Far more than a ****ing badge and a cool nickname.
Wolves ay we! That's not a ****ing cliche! It's a living loving honest to god we will endure ****ing truth!
Buy into this you *******s. We did. It's in our blood.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem we saying Jeff is incompetent is it's a matter of perspective. I know everyone has their own opinions, but none us know what Guo thinks.

My guess is Guo probably thinks he has done OK establishing a new business unit

They paid £30m and wrote off £120m last year, so they into Wolves to the tune of about £150m. What are we worth? £200m or £250m?

The point is, if the group was sold would their investment yeild a profit?

Everyone, including me, thinks some of the money was wasted. You can't complain (although people do) about the amount invested over the last two windows. But if Nunes, Gomes, and Silva all have a stella season then all three could be £50m players - unlikely perhaps, but of Silva gets 15 goals is Jeff now a genius?

Everyone is giving Jeff pelters over JL, but maybe Fosun are just not budging on their strategy, maybe they have got a whisper of what going to happen to Everton, maybe they have had a quite word from the big bosses in Beijing limiting spend?

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over sales, but I think they have done an excellent job at clearing the dead wood. Neves was a big loss but it was always going happen.

No one knows how this window sets us up for years to come. In truth with a much lower wage bill and a top 15 finish a club like ours could make £25m/£30m profit every year - spent well we could be self sufficient.

I just don't buy Jeff is as useless as people think, non of us have a clue what sort of internal and external politics he has to deal with. He has come to a foreign country, taken a championship club to the prem, dealt with learning the complexities of the football business, set up a sporting group, and it would appear increase the value of Fosun's investment.

I would like to see a centre back and left back, but other than that I am happy with the Window if Max, RAN, and Silva stays.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? We really don't compare with United as a brand or investment project. We are in the Premier League, but that is virtually the only selling point to an outside interest. If we were in London maybe, but apart from PL status we don't have anything that makes us a better prospect than any of the other clubs outside the favored six. If you want to invest in a PL club why choose Wolves? We are based in a small post industrial city, just outside Birmingham, that very few people internationally have even heard of. Oh yes, we have a nice badge and a cool nickname, but that's
We've got a bloody great story, and it's true. Of how a working class town at the centre of the industrial revolution gave birth to one of the first truly great football teams, helped inspire European competition, then like the industry surrounding it faded and got lost in a world of profit, greed and advertising; how we kept fighting, kept loyal, then overreached and went down so quickly rhat everything was lost except the loyal, the honest fans, that sang those were the days and kept hoping that out of darkness cometh light, that went to the Sherpa Van with over 50000 and kept the faith. That so nearly achieved it under a player who sacrificed personal ambition for his club and then a man who bled financial gold and black, so close, so damn exhausting.
And then Nuno. Had a dream. To build our football team. With Chinese owners and some wonders kids from Portugal and elsewhere who we loved and who loved us. And we came so damn damn close again! But by god, the journey. What a helluva ride. What a story.
Wolves ay we! That's not a ****ing cliche! It's a living loving honest to god we will endure ****ing truth!
Love this just love it, talk about spoilt children syndrome, well said @berwickwolf
UTW KTF OODCL

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem we saying Jeff is incompetent is it's a matter of perspective. I know everyone has their own opinions, but none us know what Guo thinks.

They paid £30m and wrote off £120m last year, so they into Wolves to the tune of about £150m. What are we worth? £200m or £250m?

Everyone, including me, thinks some of the money was wasted. You can't complain (although people do) about the amount invested over the last two windows. But if Nunes, Gomes, and Silva all have a stella season then all three could be £50m players - unlikely perhaps, but of Silva gets 15 goals is Jeff now a genius?

Everyone is giving Jeff pelters over JL, but maybe Fosun are just not budging on their strategy, maybe they have got a whisper of what going to happen to Everton, maybe they have had a quite word from the big bosses in Beijing limiting spend?

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over sales, but I think they have done an excellent job at clearing the dead wood. Neves was a big loss but it was always going happen.

No one knows how this window sets us up for years to come. In truth with a much lower wage bill and a top 15 finish a club like ours could make £25m/£30m profit every year - spent well we could be self sufficient.

I just don't buy Jeff is as useless as people think, non of us have a clue what sort of internal and external politics he has to deal with. He has come to a foreign country, taken a championship club to the prem, dealt with learning the complexities of the football business, set up a sporting group, and it would appear increase the value of Fosun's investment.

I would like to see a centre back and left back, but other than that I am happy with the Window if Max, RAN, and Silva stays.
That's a very reasoned post, thank you.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very cynical take! Also you're basically saying we're at the same level as 14 other PL clubs. So by your logic, if you're looking to buy a club and there's not a top 6 opportunity then we're as good as any.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately fine words butter no parsnips and don't convince potential overseas investors. I agree with you entirely, but I don't have the odd few hundred million to spare. Those that do might prefer an established top 6 club, a "project" in the affluent south, or even worse, might see us a a needy option that can be gambled with, or easily used.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very cynical take! Also you're basically saying we're at the same level as 14 other PL clubs. So by your logic, if you're looking to buy a club and there's not a top 6 opportunity then we're as good as any.
Yes, same as the other 14, but not in a prime location and probably not going to be the cheapest to acquire.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

While you make a good case I have to disagree with your main point. You could view this from any number of perspectives, and Shi would still be a complete and utter waste of space, totally out of his depth, and completely unfit to manage a football club.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Assuming there are no buyers -and I don't think there are- we need to find the best structure for Wolves within the Fosun system.

Fosun haven't been shy in backing Wolves (historically) and I'd rather be where we are now than where we were when they arrived. But the big flaw has been letting the club be run by people who don't really know the game. As a result some of the tremendous historical backing Fosun have given us has been wasted. Move Jeff to Fosun Sports, and bring in someone as chairman or CEO who knows football, has connections, and has a bold vision for how to increase our stature.

To be fair, as was said elsewhere, Fosun did have a plan and it was going perfectly.....up until the pandemic and Raul's injury.
It's taking them time to recover as a company too I guess.
I was really annoyed with them after Lopetegui's departure, as well as thinking he's a total ****.
But let's get behind them and see where we go now. We need some positivity. I do anyway! Bit nervous about tomorrow but confident too.
We could be great!

As has been explained by others, there are no buyers knocking at Fosun’s door because Fosun haven’t actively marketed the club as a full sale. They’ve sought a minority investor / partner to help develop the ground, but who in their right mind would inject say 100m into Wolves and leave control with Fosun and opaque direction from China? Nobody outside China, and in the current economic and political climate in China, nobody within China has the resources or interest for it. Despite what you say, there are plenty of investors around who would love to buy an established PL club with no debt and potential to grow. But they want control, not a minority stake.

So in the absence of another minority investor to help develop the stadium, grow our revenue, and take the club to the next level, what exactly is Fosun’s strategy going forward? I ignore words and focus on actions. Despite what some say, since establishing us in the PL, Fosun haven’t invested further in the club. Look back at our net spend by year, and it’s averaged 10-20m, which is roughly what we can afford in a self funding model. Sure they backed us to spend far higher than that in the last 12 months, but only to secure our continued presence in the PL, and once achieved, they have recouped that money this summer so that our net spend is now back to where it has been for most of our PL years. Investment in taking the team to the next level? Err. No. Investment in expanding the ground and growing our revenue significantly. Err. No. Broadening brand awareness, largely in China, through clothes and eSports? Sure.

Simply put Fosun or more specifically Shi, doesn’t have a credible strategy going forward beyond survival in the PL using only cash generated by the club, with Fosun as underwriters for times we need to borrow. There is no plan b. Now that’s ok as long as it works, and it’s certainly better than what we’ve had for my entire adult life. But there are dozens of clubs who prove that this is incredibly hard to sustain for more than a few years, and virtually impossible without people running the club who have a good football brain, excellent judgement, and loads of contacts. Is that Jeff Shi? No. Has Jeff Shi or Fosun shown any interest in hiring someone with those qualities? No.

I’m not being ungrateful, but unless Fosun sell up, or have a sudden change in strategy regarding how they run Wolves, we will lurch from one crisis to another, and we will eventually get relegated. That would be bad news for us, and bad news for Fosun.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As has been explained by others, there are no buyers knocking at Fosun’s door because Fosun haven’t actively marketed the club as a full sale. They’ve sought a minority investor / partner to help develop the ground, but who in their right mind would inject say 100m into Wolves and leave control with Fosun and opaque direction from China? Nobody outside China, and in the current economic and political climate in China, nobody within China has the resources or interest for it. Despite what you say, there are plenty of investors around who would love to buy an established PL club with no debt and potential to grow. But they want control, not a minority stake.

So in the absence of another minority investor to help develop the stadium, grow our revenue, and take the club to the next level, what exactly is Fosun’s strategy going forward? I ignore words and focus on actions. Despite what some say, since establishing us in the PL, Fosun haven’t invested further in the club. Look back at our net spend by year, and it’s averaged 10-20m, which is roughly what we can afford in a self funding model. Sure they backed us to spend far higher than that in the last 12 months, but only to secure our continued presence in the PL, and once achieved, they have recouped that money this summer so that our net spend is now back to where it has been for most of our PL years. Investment in taking the team to the next level? Err. No. Investment in expanding the ground and growing our revenue significantly. Err. No. Broadening brand awareness, largely in China, through clothes and eSports? Sure.

Simply put Fosun or more specifically Shi, doesn’t have a credible strategy going forward beyond survival in the PL using only cash generated by the club, with Fosun as underwriters for times we need to borrow. There is no plan b. Now that’s ok as long as it works, and it’s certainly better than what we’ve had for my entire adult life. But there are dozens of clubs who prove that this is incredibly hard to sustain for more than a few years, and virtually impossible without people running the club who have a good football brain, excellent judgement, and loads of contacts. Is that Jeff Shi? No. Has Jeff Shi or Fosun shown any interest in hiring someone with those qualities? No.

I’m not being ungrateful, but unless Fosun sell up, or have a sudden change in strategy regarding how they run Wolves, we will lurch from one crisis to another, and we will eventually get relegated. That would be bad news for us, and bad news for Fosun.
Feels about right. Struggling mediocrity while being milked financially at best, relegation at worst

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing we've done consistently well is out money into Jorge mendes pockets.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Doubt they would yield a profit based on a straight forward calculation. But is owning Wolves cheaper than spending on advertising and marketing to promote Fosun? I.e. how much extra business have they got because people have heard of them for owning us, like have we raised their profile massively.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doubt they would yield a profit based on a straight forward calculation. But is owning Wolves cheaper than spending on advertising and marketing to promote Fosun? I.e. how much extra business have they got because people have heard of them for owning us, like have we raised their profile massively.

I don’t think owning Wolves is really helping Fosun’s brand value, and it’s arguable what value greater brand recognition for Fosun outside China is worth much to them anyway.

If Wolves are sitting mid table come the first international break, Fosun could absolutely sell the club and walk away with a decent return on their investment. The club would be worth 250-300m, which even allowing for their initial investment/loan which they wrote off, is still a positive return.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The more i think about it, it could be quite astue for cover, while being HG, hes one of those who likes a battle also

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc will be happy if Dier joins..

Edit: Requires subsribtion, but talks about their close friendship at Spurs.

"Pictures of the tour showed that they were pretty much inseparable throughout, and the day before our meeting they spent the morning visiting other, smaller galleries to satisfy Dier’s passion for art. It is one of many interests he has outside of football, which are as varied as politics, tennis and board games."

"Dier and Doherty’s holidays together, meanwhile, have included visiting the Monaco Grand Prix in May, having also been away in January during the winter break, and a trip to Miami last summer to watch som NBA Basketball."

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc will be happy if Dier joins..

Edit: Requires subsribtion, but talks about their close friendship at Spurs.

"Pictures of the tour showed that they were pretty much inseparable throughout, and the day before our meeting they spent the morning visiting other, smaller galleries to satisfy Dier’s passion for art. It is one of many interests he has outside of football, which are as varied as politics, tennis and board games."

"Dier and Doherty’s holidays together, meanwhile, have included visiting the Monaco Grand Prix in May, having also been away in January during the winter break, and a trip to Miami last summer to watch som NBA Basketball."

So we need Jody Craddock to have a quiet word with him while visiting a gallery...?

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would be happy with Dier. Good enough to be a starter and another experienced voice in the dressing room. He'd want some assurances on game time though surely. Would he start ahead of Dawson in a back 2?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been text to say we’ve enquired about a loan deal for Eric Dier

I think that would be an excellent deal. Big mates with Doc, speaks Portuguese, more than adequate defender, potentially out of contract next year.

I honestly think that would be a really smart bit of business.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been text to say we’ve enquired about a loan deal for Eric Dier
Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing…..

There is a talented lad in Eric Dier, maybe a change of scene might revitalise his career as things are more than a bit toxic for him with the spurs fan base.

Back
Top Bottom