Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
It's just selected from those who were "safe" at the time (late March-early April) nothing more or less, most probably working their way down from the Sky 6 until enough invites are accepted.

The season prior we'd have been a certain to be invited along with West Ham, given where we were at that point of the season, and it'd have probably gone down to Leicester and Villa too.

I doubt any club outside the Sky 6 will turn down an invite in favour of another tour.
I refer the right honourable gentleman to the post I made some moments ago:

#5,113

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The importance of human relationships and interactions shouldn't be underestimated, ESPECIALLY when it comes to multi-million dollar investment. Those initial conversations happen with a bit of hospitality in an executive box, mixing with some fellow 'big hitters' and then maybe that business class flight happens when things become serious.

When you refer to the event being a money spinner you're correct, it is a money spinner, but the money is not in ticket sales to matches, it's in commercial revenue and broadcasting, which means courting sponsorship and investment, so the event supports that - a shop window to drum up that sponsorship and investment interest.
There are historic articles out there where the Premier League explains it's reasons for the Summer Series , it's basically copying US sports foray in to Europe, only without bringing regular season games (there'd be riots).

Sponsorship and broadcasting is already secured. The purchase (whole or partial) of Leeds, Fulham, Man U, Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Burnley, Chelsea, Palace, Barnsley (I'm sure I've missed a few) and City were all achieved without US exhibition games.

The US is a great market for the PL, it makes little difference though who owns the clubs involved. This is a money spinner by the PL for the PL. Just as relegation West Ham weren't invited this season either, getting an invitation depends almost entirely on assurances you'll actually be in the PL.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just selected from those who were "safe" at the time (late March-early April) nothing more or less, most probably working their way down from the Sky 6 until enough invites are accepted.

The season prior we'd have been a certain to be invited along with West Ham, given where we were at that point of the season, and it'd have probably gone down to Leicester and Villa too.

I doubt any club outside the Sky 6 will turn down an invite in favour of another tour.
Leeds were provisionally booked in but got dragged in to a relegation battle. Replaced by "safe by Xmas" Fulham.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
There are historic articles out there where the Premier League explains it's reasons for the Summer Series , it's basically copying US sports foray in to Europe, only without bringing regular season games (there'd be riots).

Sponsorship and broadcasting is already secured. The purchase (whole or partial) of Leeds, Fulham, Man U, Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Burnley, Chelsea, Palace, Barnsley (I'm sure I've missed a few) and City were all achieved without US exhibition games.

The US is a great market for the PL, it makes little difference though who owns the clubs involved. This is a money spinner by the PL for the PL. Just as relegation West Ham weren't invited this season either, getting an invitation depends almost entirely on assurances you'll actually be in the PL.
Q: Why do you think there is a foray of US sports into Europe? A: To provide a shop window for US sports!
Q: How do you think sponsorship and broadcasting was already secured? A: By providing a shop window!
Q: You've actually said the US is a great market for the PL which means? A: The event is a shop window for this market!

It's a shop window. Its sole intent of course is not just to hawk clubs up for sale or open to investment, but those conversations are going to take place, or are you saying that they are emphatically not?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Q: Why do you think there is a foray of US sports into Europe? A: To provide a shop window for US sports!
To give a chance to fans of US sports to see US sports. It's not to attract UK investment. If it is, (I saw the New Orleans Saints play the LA Raiders at Wembley in 1990), it's failing miserably.
Q: How do you think sponsorship and broadcasting was already secured? A: By providing a shop window!
I remember watching Swindon v Wimbledon on TV in the states in 1994, it's a long standing relationship the PL has with US broadcasters.
Q: You've actually said the US is a great market for the PL which means? A: The event is a shop window for this market!
No, it means they can sell out 9 matches to an existing customer base.
It's a shop window. Its sole intent of course is not just to hawk clubs up for sale or open to investment, but those conversations are going to take place, or are you saying that they are emphatically not?
Maybe they do, but it's completely circumstantial. It's certainly not the the reason or even a reason for hosting 9 preseason games in the US.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
To give a chance to fans of US sports to see US sports. It's not to attract UK investment. If it is, (I saw the New Orleans Saints play the LA Raiders at Wembley in 1990), it's failing miserably.

I remember watching Swindon v Wimbledon on TV in the states in 1994, it's a long standing relationship the PL has with US broadcasters.

No, it means they can sell out 9 matches to an existing customer base.

Maybe they do, but it's completely circumstantial. It's certainly not the the reason or even a reason for hosting 9 preseason games in the US.

This is probably now dangerously off topic so maybe a new thread would be better, but the reasons for hosting preseason games in the US has changed and its money that's changed it..........

In just the last 10 years:
Commercial and broadcasting rights of PL clubs has TRIPLED but match day revenues have only increased by 20% in the same time.
PL media rights also TRIPLED (domestic $2.52B to $6.3B, and international $2.22B to $6.55B)
PL broadcasting right fees TRIPLED from $1.2B to $3.6B

The ONLY way the PL has achieved this (and can continue to achieve this) is through getting a churn of investment into clubs to keep the money flowing which means creating a shop window, putting your 'product' on the global stage and leveraging tournaments such as the 'summer tour'.

And it's not just the US. Wolves did not participate in the 2019 Asia Cup because they cared about football fans in Asia. They cared about the commercial, broadcasting and advertising revenue it would generate, especially with Fosun ownership.

You have a lovely, romantic, view of how things initially were intended, but recalling the intent from the early 90's (when the record transfer fee at the time was around $9M!) and trying to argue that is now the reason is ignoring the fact that money now owns the game and almost everything in 'elite' football revolves around it.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is probably now dangerously off topic so maybe a new thread would be better, but the reasons for hosting preseason games in the US has changed and its money that's changed it..........

In just the last 10 years:
Commercial and broadcasting rights of PL clubs has TRIPLED but match day revenues have only increased by 20% in the same time.
PL media rights also TRIPLED (domestic $2.52B to $6.3B, and international $2.22B to $6.55B)
PL broadcasting right fees TRIPLED from $1.2B to $3.6B

The ONLY way the PL has achieved this (and can continue to achieve this) is through getting a churn of investment into clubs to keep the money flowing which means creating a shop window, putting your 'product' on the global stage and leveraging tournaments such as the 'summer tour'.

And it's not just the US. Wolves did not participate in the 2019 Asia Cup because they cared about football fans in Asia. They cared about the commercial, broadcasting and advertising revenue it would generate, especially with Fosun ownership.

You have a lovely, romantic, view of how things initially were intended, but recalling the intent from the early 90's (when the record transfer fee at the time was around $9M!) and trying to argue that is now the reason is ignoring the fact that money now owns the game and almost everything in 'elite' football revolves around it.
Lol. I'm ignoring it am I? My opening gambit was "money spinner".

I've just argued against your supposition that the Summer Series is first and foremost a meeting opportunity for prospective new owners, and I maintain that. It's not.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Rumour from the pub is that lopetegui has picked his leadership group
Kilman
Dawson
Lemina
Sarabia
I heard that too. Surprised by Sarabia but he is one of our more experienced players.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously JL sees some leadership qualities three
Also shows that hes likely to be in the starting XI, which is why i feel podence has been ousted.

Sarabia and him were vying for the same position and sarabia actually fits what JL wants to do

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I was really excited by Sarabia signing but was underwhelmed when he played last year. However reading his interview when he said he was still adjusting and his wife had the twins, I’m hoping we see the player we thought we were getting this year.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I was really excited by Sarabia signing but was underwhelmed when he played last year. However reading his interview when he said he was still adjusting and his wife had the twins, I’m hoping we see the player we thought we were getting this year.
There was glimpses I loved the sly tackle he did just before Dawson scored against Liverpool
I’m sure that’s there’s much more to come from him

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rumour from the pub is that lopetegui has picked his leadership group
Kilman
Dawson
Lemina
Sarabia

Great picks. I would have also liked Cunha to get a shout (I think he has a great attitude and speaks Portuguese).

I also thought Bentley had some leadership role - didn’t he mention something about making a penalty/fine system in a recent interview?

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Lol. I'm ignoring it am I? My opening gambit was "money spinner".

I've just argued against your supposition that the Summer Series is first and foremost a meeting opportunity for prospective new owners, and I maintain that. It's not.
Ah ok, I think that's where there's disconnect.

I didn't say the Summer Series was first and foremost a meeting opportunity for prospective new owners. What I did say was this:

"I'd suggest the clubs that are looking for US investment are those in the 'PL summer series' shop window."

"It's a shop window. Its sole intent of course is not just to hawk clubs up for sale or open to investment, but those conversations are going to take place"

Appreciate you may not agree with the term, but the event is a shop window. There are many rumours that Villa, Brentford, Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham & Newcastle are looking for US investment. Thats investment, not just ownership.

To try then and bring the conversation back on track with the thread, some rumours from the pub I've heard with regard to this include:

Villa looking for investors for a new stadium
Brighton biggest sponsor/investor is Amex but looking for more funds for this year
Chelsea say no more..
Fulham have multiple Principal Partners based in the US and looking for more
Newcastle have been in ongoing discussions for a long time now with US capital investment firm 777 and looking to close the deal

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah ok, I think that's where there's disconnect.

I didn't say the Summer Series was first and foremost a meeting opportunity for prospective new owners. What I did say was this:

"I'd suggest the clubs that are looking for US investment are those in the 'PL summer series' shop window."

"It's a shop window. Its sole intent of course is not just to hawk clubs up for sale or open to investment, but those conversations are going to take place"

Appreciate you may not agree with the term, but the event is a shop window. There are many rumours that Villa, Brentford, Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham & Newcastle are looking for US investment. Thats investment, not just ownership.

To try then and bring the conversation back on track with the thread, some rumours from the pub I've heard with regard to this include:

Villa looking for investors for a new stadium
Brighton biggest sponsor/investor is Amex but looking for more funds for this year
Chelsea say no more..
Fulham have multiple Principal Partners based in the US and looking for more
Newcastle have been in ongoing discussions for a long time now with US capital investment firm 777 and looking to close the deal
Fulham are just a late replacement for Leeds, which basically sets fire to your argument.

Everyone is looking for investment, American or otherwise. Plenty of noise about Wolves courting North American investment but we weren't invited! Because it looked like we'd not be in the PL this summer.

The biggest thing these six clubs have in common is they all looked nailed on to not be relegated, that's why they're there.

There's no US investment "club".

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Fulham are just a late replacement for Leeds, which basically sets fire to your argument.

Everyone is looking for investment, American or otherwise. Plenty of noise about Wolves courting North American investment but we weren't invited! Because it looked like we'd not be in the PL this summer.

The biggest thing these six clubs have in common is they all looked nailed on to not be relegated, that's why they're there.

There's no US investment "club".
For whatever reason you seem to be taking issue with something you either think I’m implying and making increasing recursive and bizarre comments to something you think I’ve said (to which the obvious proof I haven’t is on this thread!).

You don’t agree, that’s fine, I tried to pull the discussion back on topic, so will leave it there.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a pub rumour, more reliable than that but Shi has been over to China since last season ended to meet FOSUN's topbrass (including Guo) and plead for more investment, knowing he's effectively out of a job if we go down, only for him to be told that there is no more cash forthcoming.

There's American interest in the club but FOSUN have no intention of selling. No idea why, would make sense for them to maximize their investment and sell now as I can't see the club's valuation increasing while its deprived of further investment, but that's the current situation.

FFP issues were real but Neves and Collins going has really helped, alongside Moutinho, Adama and Costa's wages off the wage bill (+ soon to be Raul).

If we don't spend much from this point onwards and continue to miss out on players like Retegui then that's on FOSUN rather than FFP restrictions.
For the few who called this BS, you might want to reassess your stance on the back of Lop's interview. Questions need to be asked of FOSUN directly, their spin and broken promises have left the club in a perilous position.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve heard Jeff is getting hacked off with all the bad press he’s been getting and is fed up with the lack of creativity amongst the recruitment department.
With Hobbs and Julian’s son he feels he’s always left with Hobsons choice.
Going to bring someone from China to shake things up by the name of Geri Min.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
I have a real life pub rumour that arose whilst consuming a pint of Doombar in the Bag of Spuds in Birmingham yesterday!

Please note…..this is a rumour and I am simply passing it on.

My mate, a Bristol City season ticket holder of many years was at their pre-season friendly last week. He knows, loosely a number of their coaching staff and got talking.

He said that the Alex Scott deal is 99% agreed (figure agreed but discussion around up front %).

Personal terms already been agreed and it’s between the two clubs to finalise.

He also stated that Scott is the best young player he has ever seen in a Bristol City shirt!

I hope it is true! He is a decent bloke either way (he brought the beer).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a real life pub rumour that arose whilst consuming a pint of Doombar in the Bag of Spuds in Birmingham yesterday!

My mate, a Bristol City season ticket holder of many years was at their pre-season friendly last week. He knows, loosely a number of their coaching staff and got talking.

He said that the Alex Scott deal is 99% agreed (figure agreed but discussion around up front %).

He also stated that Scott is the best young player he has ever seen in a Bristol City shirt!

Interesting

GBWolf

Reaction score

This is peak Rumours from the pub. Thank you for sharing

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What beer ? this is what decides whether this is true or not

Back
Top Bottom