Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t make sense that they don’t want to sell it to be honest

As ever, probably complete BS as no one seems to have a clue what’s going on
Maybe not a good time to be selling an asset in the current economic conditions.. it’s a big risk though, because if we go down, our value plummets.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doesn’t make sense that they don’t want to sell it to be honest

As ever, probably complete BS as no one seems to have a clue what’s going on
This.

Unless the guy who told him that is actually part of the “top brass” at Fosun then I would not believe a word of it. Chinese businesses play their card very close to their chest, this kind of information would not just be out in the open like this.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe not a good time to be selling an asset in the current economic conditions.. it’s a big risk though, because if we go down, our value plummets.
FOSUN are open to selling a minority stake by all accounts but they want to retain control, which is hardly going to be attractive to any potential investor.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a pub rumour, more reliable than that but Shi has been over to China since last season ended to meet FOSUN's topbrass (including Guo) and plead for more investment, knowing he's effectively out of a job if we go down, only for him to be told that there is no more cash forthcoming.

There's American interest in the club but FOSUN have no intention of selling. No idea why, would make sense for them to maximize their investment and sell now as I can't see the club's valuation increasing while its deprived of further investment, but that's the current situation.

FFP issues were real but Neves and Collins going has really helped, alongside Moutinho, Adama and Costa's wages off the wage bill (+ soon to be Raul).

If we don't spend much from this point onwards and continue to miss out on players like Retegui then that's on FOSUN rather than FFP restrictions.
That all makes sense . I am sure there was no leeway after the January purchases.
My feeling is the sale of Neves and the release of the large salaries was enough to clear that problem.
Add Collins and all the others going , we should have good funds to buy a number of decent players on four year deals. And there are players like Hwang , Sa , and a few others that could be upgraded at little extra net cost.

Last edited:

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not complete BS I can assure you but hey, you're free to believe what you want.
For once, I suspect you may be right.

There’s probably a bit of dog, pigeon and horse mixed up in there too.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a pub rumour, more reliable than that but Shi has been over to China since last season ended to meet FOSUN's topbrass (including Guo) and plead for more investment, knowing he's effectively out of a job if we go down, only for him to be told that there is no more cash forthcoming.

There's American interest in the club but FOSUN have no intention of selling. No idea why, would make sense for them to maximize their investment and sell now as I can't see the club's valuation increasing while its deprived of further investment, but that's the current situation.

FFP issues were real but Neves and Collins going has really helped, alongside Moutinho, Adama and Costa's wages off the wage bill (+ soon to be Raul).

If we don't spend much from this point onwards and continue to miss out on players like Retegui then that's on FOSUN rather than FFP restrictions.

I wouldn't be that inclined to give Jeff any more money either, to be honest.

floydstreet

Reaction score
I think we all have short memories of the money spent on Cunha, Matteus, Gomes, Sarabia, Lemina etc

As ever we can’t judge until end of the seaskn

The Italian striker we just arrived late

As for FFP obviously a factor, but also bear in mind they have to juggle any bids based on known priority target spend (Scott, elviva, etc)

So until we sell a few more they’ll likely be a ceiling of available cash. I expect Scott if we can do it, centre half and a striker. But don’t be surprised if we find loan players and or free transfers and that’s not necessarily a bad thung

As for the exits. Lots of love to Raul of course. But in reality so far the only player we have let go that would be in our first eleven is neves.

A centre half away from defence fine
Gomes Matteus lemina hidge Scott good enough options in midfield.

Wide players number tens - Cunha has to step up, sArabia also. Then neto Hwang looks quite strong with I suspect another

Upfront sasa yes , then we either keep Fabio or sell and replace

My point
Ffp is a factor, but the squad isn’t that bad and we have spent and those players need to step up now. And don’t underestimate that it suits us to put FFP issues out there, means clubs think we will spend less.

So. Be patient
Wait until end of window
And then we can judge

But judge investment based on the last 3 windows, not just this one

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last summer the club had a plan to be financially prudent and stay well within means, and also to not commit too much money to Lage signings as they didn't believe in him long-term. The club's financial plan was blown off course last summer when Guo late in the window instructed the club to spend more money and be more ambitious. That led to the late splurge on Nunes and Guedes. The plan was then blown further off course in January when -in order to have secured JL- they spent further large sums (or promised to, in Cunha). This, combined with the charges against City and Everton, led to a need to balance out the two splurges. The good news is the FFP danger is gone. Neves and Collins money sorted most of it, and Jimenez is now the last of the legacy big earners off the wage bill (aside from Semedo, who they decided to re-up). The good/bad news (depending on how you view it) is that the club is now back to the financial plan it was on before last summer's Guo intervention but with much more room on the wage bill. Self-sufficient, not spending more than they value players at, etc. But with a quiet confidence that Hobbs and Lopetegui are better than Sellars and Lage.

Believe, don't believe, I don't mind.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be giving him his P45 to be honest.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously we are just not in a position to judge his performance. I give you they were extremely neive when the came and expected champions league within 10 years but Jeff takes his objectives from Chairman Guo.

We know he achieved his first objective - get us to the Prem and keep us there. He has probably met some of Fosun's political soft power objectives with the CCP, and Jeff will also have met another crucial long term objective - learn, learn, learn. How the industry works, how they can manipulate, how they can influence, where are the cracks and where are the long term opportunities.

Things change, I do think Chairman Guo has actually got the gold and black bug. OK it may not come from the 1st chorley away game or Bully smashing them in the top corner, but didn't Jeff say a few years ago that Chairman Guo had moved Wolves into the core never sell pot of assets?

Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I really don't think any of us can really judge how Jeff is perceived internally at Fosun. He is building a long term sports group not just a football club.

I have said earlier on in this thread you can point to at least £60m of bad buys, but Jeff could point to Neves (£32m profit), Jota (£30m profit) plus a host of others. I have not done the all the maths, but have we made more money from transfers than we have wasted?

I really would not be giving Jeff his P45, think about it for a minute. He has to be chinese, inducted into their business culture, capable of running a £200m business, and know the business of premier league football.

I would argue Jeff's is actually the best man on the planet to do what Chairman Guo wants, the moment he isn't we will know.

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
l

if most of that is correct then really who can blame them. They have spent a lot of cash and invested heavily (relative to expectations). My main concern and take from that is, fair enough, but why is the individual who invested most of that money still in their role? Whether direct or indirect, Shi has been the overseer. Any optimism is only around because we’ve got JL and Hobbs, I’d hate to imagine what state we’d be in without them.

Clipboard

Reaction score
l

if most of that is correct then really who can blame them. They have spent a lot of cash and invested heavily (relative to expectations). My main concern and take from that is, fair enough, but why is the individual who invested most of that money still in their role? Whether direct or indirect, Shi has been the overseer. Any optimism is only around because we’ve got JL and Hobbs, I’d hate to imagine what state we’d be in without them.
Correct. IMHO Jeff is living a very charmed life.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
l

if most of the is correct then really who can blame them. They have spent a lot of cash and invested heavily (relative to expectations). My main concern and take from that is, fair enough, but why is the individual who invested most of that money still in their role? Whether direct or indirect, Shi has been the overseer. Any shred of optimism is only around because we’ve got JL and Hobbs, I’d hate to imagine what state we’d be in without them
...and why do the fans get fleeced, season on season, for a "Premium product", that clearly isn't forthcoming?!!!
I haven't got an issue with us being in a tight spot, after all, we've been there before, but don't dress it up as something it isn't, in order to sell the fans a BS dream and bend them over backwards!!!

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we all have short memories of the money spent on Cunha, Matteus, Gomes, Sarabia, Lemina etc

As ever we can’t judge until end of the seaskn

The Italian striker we just arrived late

As for FFP obviously a factor, but also bear in mind they have to juggle any bids based on known priority target spend (Scott, elviva, etc)

So until we sell a few more they’ll likely be a ceiling of available cash. I expect Scott if we can do it, centre half and a striker. But don’t be surprised if we find loan players and or free transfers and that’s not necessarily a bad thung

As for the exits. Lots of love to Raul of course. But in reality so far the only player we have let go that would be in our first eleven is neves.

A centre half away from defence fine
Gomes Matteus lemina hidge Scott good enough options in midfield.

Wide players number tens - Cunha has to step up, sArabia also. Then neto Hwang looks quite strong with I suspect another

Upfront sasa yes , then we either keep Fabio or sell and replace

My point
Ffp is a factor, but the squad isn’t that bad and we have spent and those players need to step up now. And don’t underestimate that it suits us to put FFP issues out there, means clubs think we will spend less.

So. Be patient
Wait until end of window
And then we can judge

But judge investment based on the last 3 windows, not just this one
Don't forget Boubacar Traore in midfield, think there's a very talented albeit raw player there

koplex

Groupie
Reaction score

Pretty much what I posted on here a couple of days ago, almost word for word.

Lop is fuming but has been promised some funds, but no additional investment.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

American or Canadian interest?

I continue to hear rumblings of Maple Leaf Sports (Raptors, Leafs, Toronto FC) looking at a Premier League club.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
American or Canadian interest?

I continue to hear rumblings of Maple Leaf Sports (Raptors, Leafs, Toronto FC) looking at a Premier League club.
We definitely need this lot to sell up before we end up in the championship where their investment will be worth a hell of a lot less.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last thing the PL needs is more American owners.
I’m not so sure. I think if the League becomes flooded with American owners all willing to invest heavily, we may see a wage and spending cap come in.

That could be a great leveller so long as it isn’t determined by the club’s income - that would continue to favour the ‘big 6’ with the rest fighting for scraps. I guess what we don’t need is an influx of new owners who come and strip the clubs of assets and identity.

Tbf, whoever is in charge at the club generally gets my support. Premier league teams are mainly owned by groups who invest in a product with hopes of big returns. Not many owners like Sir Jack who invested because of his love for the club. Fosun are hardly the Bhattis and even with lower investment this year (if that turns out to be the case), they deserve a little faith, patience/tolerance imo.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As opposed to what, more Saudi or UAE?

The Glazers are ****s to be sure, but there are plenty others on this side of the pond that are exactly what Wolves need IMHO.
American owners will drive towards a closed shop … no promotion, no relegation (imo). The others might too but I think it’s far more likely with American owners.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The latest rumour I'm peddling is that Wolves bank is the Post Office and we've been cancelled. Hence no funds until we've moved.
It seemed a lot more glamorous than repeating we're skint., but it failed with the landlord when I said I'd been cancelled - I still had to produce coins of the realm! ;)

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not so sure. I think if the League becomes flooded with American owners all willing to invest heavily, we may see a wage and spending cap come in.

That could be a great leveller so long as it isn’t determined by the club’s income - that would continue to favour the ‘big 6’ with the rest fighting for scraps. I guess what we don’t need is an influx of new owners who come and strip the clubs of assets and identity.

Tbf, whoever is in charge at the club generally gets my support. Premier league teams are mainly owned by groups who invest in a product with hopes of big returns. Not many owners like Sir Jack who invested because of his love for the club. Fosun are hardly the Bhattis and even with lower investment this year (if that turns out to be the case), they deserve a little faith, patience/tolerance imo.

The threat of American Ownership (or any country for that matter) becoming overwhelmingly common in the PL is to do with how laws are made and what changes can be made.

In order to force through changes, there needs to be 14 teams (or 2/3's) vote in favour of proposed changes.

Let's be extravagant and say that the Glazers don't want there to be any intruders on the top 6. At all. Ever.

If there's 14 teams that vote for that, then it can become a more realistic possibility.

Much bigger a problem than each clubs income streams.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
There's no "club" if the summer series was happening after our 7th placed finishes, we'd have been invited.
By very definition then if an invitation is required its 'a club'!

In this instance, investors are looking at 'a club' of teams who have finished in a certain league position which in turn means they are a more attractive investment, with higher chances of a return, unlike Wolves who have just survived a relegation scrap.

I think you've possibly read a little bit more into my use of the term 'club', there was no intent of suggesting it was a closed shop.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By very definition then if an invitation is required its 'a club'!

In this instance, investors are looking at 'a club' of teams who have finished in a certain league position which in turn means they are a more attractive investment, with higher chances of a return, unlike Wolves who have just survived a relegation scrap.

I think you've possibly read a little bit more into my use of the term 'club', there was no intent of suggesting it was a closed shop.
The summer series is not a shop window for US investors. It's a money spinner reliant on selling tickets. Boring Wolves don't fit the bill right now.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
The summer series is not a shop window for US investors. It's a money spinner reliant on selling tickets. Boring Wolves don't fit the bill right now.
Does it have to generate revenue and make a profit? Yes, that's a given.

But of course it's a shop window! While the event happens you think that club owners aren't going to be having meetings with investors while their 'product' is being showcased on the pitch? How do you think getting investment happens?!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it have to generate revenue and make a profit? Yes, that's a given.

But of course it's a shop window! While the event happens you think that club owners aren't going to be having meetings with investors while their 'product' is being showcased on the pitch? How do you think getting investment happens?!
Anyone looking to invest millions in a PL club doesn't need the PL to come to them. A £2k business class flight or a private jet to London is not a stumbling block.

That's if a face to face is even necessary at all. Investors are only interested in data sheets and bottom lines, not the silky skills of Southern European wingers.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Anyone looking to invest millions in a PL club doesn't need the PL to come to them. A £2k business class flight or a private jet to London is not a stumbling block.

That's if a face to face is even necessary at all. Investors are only interested in data sheets and bottom lines, not the silky skills of Southern European wingers.
The importance of human relationships and interactions shouldn't be underestimated, ESPECIALLY when it comes to multi-million dollar investment. Those initial conversations happen with a bit of hospitality in an executive box, mixing with some fellow 'big hitters' and then maybe that business class flight happens when things become serious.

When you refer to the event being a money spinner you're correct, it is a money spinner, but the money is not in ticket sales to matches, it's in commercial revenue and broadcasting, which means courting sponsorship and investment, so the event supports that - a shop window to drum up that sponsorship and investment interest.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd suggest the clubs that are looking for US investment are those in the 'PL summer series' shop window. We're not 'in the club'.
It's just selected from those who were "safe" at the time (late March-early April) nothing more or less, most probably working their way down from the Sky 6 until enough invites are accepted.

The season prior we'd have been a certain to be invited along with West Ham, given where we were at that point of the season, and it'd have probably gone down to Leicester and Villa too.

I doubt any club outside the Sky 6 will turn down an invite in favour of another tour.

Back
Top Bottom