Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ronaldo or Messi

R

reanswolf

Ronaldo is a machine, Messi the artist.
Both are undoubtedly the worlds best players, but you will never get agreement.

Huge polls have been done with millions casting votes, and Messi invariably comfortably wins these.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they were both at their peak, I would pick Ronaldo.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s going to be long summer...

If there aren’t some “in the know, friend of my barber” type rumours soon we’ll be getting to “Shilton or Clemence” threads and “what’s the best pie you’ve ever had at a football ground”!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Ronaldo. He does it everywhere he goes,performs on the world stage on a regular basis, messi hasn't done that

He’s gone to the best teams in Europe and done it it’s not like he’s gone to Huddersfield and done it is it? Meanwhile Messi has stayed loyal to the club he has been at since he was a child yet somehow this is used as a criticism against him. Messi is the better player all day long for me.

M

Mental Ray

I’d go for Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is so consistent it’s almost unbelievable.

Whereas, Messi can have games where he has little or no impact in. Like we saw at Anfield.

Almost every big European game or Portugal game Ronaldo comes up with the goods.

Messi went in the huff a few years ago when Argentina got beat in the Copa America final and retired for a short period of time. He’s not got the same attitude as Ronaldo.

Messi may be better on the eye but if my team were in a Champions League final and got offered either one of the two, I’d go for Ronaldo all day.

dnf14

Reaction score
He’s gone to the best teams in Europe and done it it’s not like he’s gone to Huddersfield and done it is it? Meanwhile Messi has stayed loyal to the club he has been at since he was a child yet somehow this is used as a criticism against him. Messi is the better player all day long for me.
He's played at Barcelona for his entire senior career, a permanent giant in football. Messi has never played for a minnow team once in his life either, so that's hardly fair. I think it's a valid point that Ronaldo has played in several leagues and been incredibly good in all of them since there is a gaping chasm between Barca and the rest of La Liga, even without Messi, for the most part.

As an overall player I agree that Messi is better before you think this is a dismissal of his abilities.

R

reanswolf

Barcelona have usually been great but they are actually quite average at present by their own standards. I doubt they would have been top of La Liga this season without Messi.

I admire what Ronaldo brings, but his play rarely takes my breath away whereas Messi ........just unbelievable.

But both have fabulous attributes undoubtedly.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi.

But no denying Ronaldo is a fantastic player. Almost lives up to the real Ronaldo’s ability!

K

Knocker Lite

If you were in charge of Barcelona would now be a good time to sell Messi, you could get maybe 400 million transfer fee for him. Next summer maybe less.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi is the more skilful and naturally talented, but Barca wouldn't have lost a 3-0 lead at Liverpool with Ronaldo in their ranks

Maybe...... but the team that Ronaldo is in lost at home to Ajax in a CL qtr final 2nd leg and they didn't even make the Semi finals.

D

Deleted member 3751

Maybe...... but the team that Ronaldo is in lost at home to Ajax in a CL qtr final 2nd leg and they didn't even make the Semi finals.
Well you could go back just a year and see another example of Messi's Barca throwing away a three goal lead. Could also throw in international performances where he regularly goes missing. Ronaldo has a bloody minded determination that Messi doesn't

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well you could go back just a year and see another example of Messi's Barca throwing away a three goal lead. Could also throw in international performances where he regularly goes missing. Ronaldo has a bloody minded determination that Messi doesn't

You could also argue that while Juve bought Ronaldo to crack the CL, they didn’t build the team around him, as Real did, and Barca have for years with Messi.
They’re still a disjointed side at present. Depending upon how the summer goes, expect them to be a real contender next term.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

I honestly can’t even comprehend how people think Ronaldo is better.

My theory is that it’s driven from the press.

Ronaldo has played for the two biggest and best supported clubs in the world, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

So, the majority would inevitably support him when it came to this debate. That meant the press could really go big on this Messi v Ronaldo thing and it sold and worked.

Of course, Messi’s more reserved nature means he doesn’t go round claiming to be the best and Ronaldo’s the opposite, which just adds to it.

Just look at Modric winning the Ballon D’Or to see how they influence opinion.

The ONLY way they compare is through goals and whilst that’s clearly a very important factor, it was never the defining factor.

Maradona wasn’t always a top scorer, Cruyff wasn’t, Best wasn’t, Ronaldinho wasn’t etc.

Yet, Messi can compare to Ronaldo in terms of goals, with both being unbelievable on that front.

So then you look at their overall game and Messi is on another planet.

Fair play to Ronaldo’s PR team for making this debate drag out for a decade.

In my opinion it’s not even close, and that’s not a criticism of Ronaldo. Messi is the best we’ve ever seen by a long way for me when you consider his longevity compared to other legends.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Different.

Could they both play together ? If so we should sign them up.
;)

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely you have to win international honours to be considered the GOAT.

Therefore:

Pele
Maradona
Ronaldo

I wouldn't have any of them at Wolves by the way.

Too old
Bad influence / sniffer dog
Likes the women

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi, cause Ronaldo is a self centred narcissist on the pitch - it's all about him rather than the team.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi, cause Ronaldo is a self centred narcissist on the pitch - it's all about him rather than the team.

Kinda. But if you make it all about him, the team get the rewards.
Compare that to players like (allegedly) Pogba, Neymar. They want that profile, but can’t command a whole team be bent to their will, as they don’t consistently produce the same results.

For the record, I think Messi is infinitely more skilful. He’s a joy to watch.
Born to have a ball at his feet, like Ronaldinho.
Those are the kind of players you happily pay your money to see.
Ronaldo though, is the player the club/chairmen queue up to pay their money to, as he gets the job done.

E

E is for idiot.

Surely you have to win international honours to be considered the GOAT.

Therefore:

Pele
Maradona
Ronaldo

I wouldn't have any of them at Wolves by the way.

Too old
Bad influence / sniffer dog
Likes the women

Not having that. Ronaldo may have the medal but he went off injured in the final with the scores still level. He made the final of the Euros, he didn't win them. Same as Messi has made the finals of the world cup and copa America numerous times.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi is better than Ronaldo - but neither are as good as Paul Gladon.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Really can't see why you are going on about how a team throw it away, when it is a team, not just a player. If Ronaldo was in the Barcelona team instead of Messi, do you honestly think they would have won more than the 33 trophies Messi has won with them? Would Messi have won less than the 27 trophies Ronaldo has won at Sporting/Utd/Real/Juve?
Ronaldo's "bloody minded determination" (or bolshy) has seen him sent off in important matches, leaving his team a man down...their "star man". He's certainly "gone missing" in matches as he has been sent off in numerous "derbies" for Utd and Real. How many times has that happened to Messi?

Back
Top Bottom