Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Roger Johnson is a top class defender

D

Dorset DeWolf

I've just been getting so $$$$ed off reading things like 'Johnson is $$$$' 'Johnson is no better than Stearman' 'Berra is better than Johnson' and even a poll asking if Johnson is the worst defender we've had at the club!!!!

Give me a break, yes his form hasnt been good since he got here with the exception of the 1st couple of games where he was very impressive (blackburn away especially) but this does not mean he is a bad player, or worst still 'he doesnt want to be here'

1) Why do people think he doesnt want to be here? has he said that? are you a body reading expert? Or are you asuming that because he isnt in good form at the minute its because he's not trying!??

2) Last season and the one before that RJ was immense, he has not become a bad player overnight, more likely he is not used to playing next to an octopus with the positional sense of a pencil sharpener and having to cover him at every opportunity. I would try RJ alongside another centre half and see how that does because lets face it CB & RJ arent working and RJ is clearly the better player out of the 2.

3) As above, he has always been a good player before both for Cardiff and for Birmingham, maybe its that $$$$ clipboards fault with his $$$$ coaching methods

4) This is the same player heavily linked with Arsenal for a big fee and we got him at a reduced rate, a superb bit of business by Moxey

5) He is our captain, our leader, lets get behind the man, help him through this poor form and see him become the player he was again last season.

S

SaleWolf

His attitude stinks, his form is shocking and he's cost us a lot of money.

I'm sure he'd be getting more slack had he not decided, after being at the club a whole 3 months, to have a go at the fans. Massively wrong move.

I'll get behind him when he starts doing his talking on the pitch.

R

Rocky_Balllboa

I thought you were trolling at first OP but its hard to like the guy atm, but he's the captain its about time he showed us why

T

Tettenhall Wolf

It's for him to prove to us he's worth the fee, wages and captaincy.

School report so far..... Must do better! A lot better! And wind your neck in.

D

Danwolf

He is capable of being a good prem defender as he prove with Brum but something just doesnt seem right between Johnson & Wolves at the moment. He doesnt seem to do anything as captain. He will get his form back I'm sure, he was immense in the first 2 games but he does seem to give off the impression that he's not overly delighted to be here and that coupled with his form is not making him popular at the moment.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just been getting so $$$$ed off reading things like 'Johnson is $$$$' 'Johnson is no better than Stearman' 'Berra is better than Johnson' and even a poll asking if Johnson is the worst defender we've had at the club!!!!

Give me a break, yes his form hasnt been good since he got here with the exception of the 1st couple of games where he was very impressive (blackburn away especially) but this does not mean he is a bad player, or worst still 'he doesnt want to be here'

1) Why do people think he doesnt want to be here? has he said that? are you a body reading expert? Or are you asuming that because he isnt in good form at the minute its because he's not trying!??

2) Last season and the one before that RJ was immense, he has not become a bad player overnight, more likely he is not used to playing next to an octopus with the positional sense of a pencil sharpener and having to cover him at every opportunity. I would try RJ alongside another centre half and see how that does because lets face it CB & RJ arent working and RJ is clearly the better player out of the 2.

3) As above, he has always been a good player before both for Cardiff and for Birmingham, maybe its that $$$$ clipboards fault with his $$$$ coaching methods

4) This is the same player heavily linked with Arsenal for a big fee and we got him at a reduced rate, a superb bit of business by Moxey

5) He is our captain, our leader, lets get behind the man, help him through this poor form and see him become the player he was again last season.

I have to agree with most of your comments and would add:

1. MM should not have made him captain straight after signing him. He should have allowed RJ to settle in first.

2. We have had a poor defence for a long time now and RJ has been brought down to the level of some of the poor defenders around him.

He is a good professional who should be left alone to get on with his game and not be criticised for every problem that arises with our back 4. Has anyone criticised Wardy for the poor defending in our last 2 home games? Has anyone criticised Zubar for not being around when both Stoke and Norwich created goals from his area of play?

It is up to MM to sort the defence out by training them to defend properly or buy some quality and experience (which is what we need). We are leaking goals but it is not all RJ's fault!

T

Tettenhall Wolf

I'm sure he is good enough. Simple fact is he is a major scapegoat with form like this.

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Im happy to answer your questions mate.

First things first, he was 'OK' the first 3 games... 'very impressive' I think is a bit OTT and I'll even go as far to say he was marginally at fault for Blackburns first goal.

1. Although not the same thing Ive managed sales teams and done numerous sales training days and one of the subjects covered is body language and trust me Johnsons is all wrong. Slouchy, hands on hips, withdrawn expression, these are not good signs.

2. Your critisism of Berra weakens your argument, he has been much improved this season and has been streets ahead of Johnson. He was also 1 half of a defensive partnership that managed to stay up. Johnson however didnt. And when his mate Scott Dann got injured its funny how Blues went from a comfortable mid table position to eventually getting relegated.

3. Nothing to do with Connor, seriously. Who must be a half decent coach to be in a job as long as he has and to have served under our last 4 managers.

4. 'Linked' and actually signing are 2 very different things... as a Wolves fan surely you must understand that??

5. As for being our captain... please spot the odd one out. Curle... Butler... Ince... Craddock... Henry... erm... Johnson. 5 MEN who'd die for WWFC... one scrawny $$$$ who'd struggle to break sweat for WWFC.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Get used to it because unless there is a major change it doesn't matter how good you claim he is what he does on the pitch says different. He was often poor without Dann alongside him at Brum according to many. Its up to Johnson not the posters on here what he does on the pitch.
As for trying to blame Berra you must be having a laugh. Berra has been by far the better defender this season. Berra doesn't make him miss headers, get the wrong side of players, etc. The same argument was made about Stearman and now he is not in the side he can no longer be blamed.
The reason I think so many are annoyed about his performances are that he was sold to us as the messiah. A top six player who would shore the defence up.

F

FLEET WOLF

I have to agree with most of your comments and would add:

1. MM should not have made him captain straight after signing him. He should have allowed RJ to settle in first.

2. We have had a poor defence for a long time now and RJ has been brought down to the level of some of the poor defenders around him.

He is a good professional who should be left alone to get on with his game and not be criticised for every problem that arises with our back 4. Has anyone criticised Wardy for the poor defending in our last 2 home games? Has anyone criticised Zubar for not being around when both Stoke and Norwich created goals from his area of play?

It is up to MM to sort the defence out by training them to defend properly or buy some quality and experience (which is what we need). We are leaking goals but it is not all RJ's fault!

I tend to agree with all that.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You sound surprised that our fans are fickle.......

Doyle......What a signing, our saviour.....well no apparently he's quite $$$$ now and we should get shot of him in the transfer window.

Jarvis.....never be as good as Kightley......Jarvis for England.......playing for England has gone to his head....one season wonder.........well thank God for Jarvo this season.

Ward.....tries hard but never a Premier League player......he's got to be our best player this season......shocking defensive errors in the last two games.....he's probably is $$$$ after all.

Henry........great....$$$$.....great.....$$$$......great.....$$$$......

O'Hara.....sign him up...... get over yourself Holywood......$$$$$$$$ he's injured, now what are we gonna do?

Hunt....gotta love this guy in people's faces, winds them up, always give 100%, £80 million pound goal........Hunt, what's the point?

Ad nauseum....

P

Phys Ed Wolf

5. As for being our captain... please spot the odd one out. Curle... Butler... Ince... Craddock... Henry... erm... Johnson. 5 MEN who'd die for WWFC... one scrawny $$$$ who'd struggle to break sweat for WWFC.
Interesting you chose Butler as an example, considering he was treated a lot worse by the fans here, actually booed to the point of substitution!

H

Hatch End

Hard to tell whether Johnson is really rubbish or just having a spell of poor form.

His body language is not good and maybe he thinks he's made a mistake in coming to Wolves. Also, he must know himself that he is not playing well ......in a team that's not playing well either.

The Wolves have never had a good defence since Mick became manager anyway. Even in the Championship we got success with good attackers, not by being defensively sound.

There has to be a serious look at tactics and coaching besides blaming individuals, because it doesn't seem to matter who plays in defence, the end result is generally poor.

Mick was a central defender, but seems unable to set up a team able to defend consistantly and either Clipboard is useless or he's just a yes man to Mick. Because the back four quite often look as if they've only met that morning!

If Morgan and Moxey are determined to keep Mick then as far I'm concerned they should FORCE him to appoint a proper defensive coach to take charge of that aspect of the team.............and definately not another yes man!

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnson has a degree of quality - we all know that, we were all delighted when he signed and he did look impressive in the first few games.

However the teams dip in form has coincided with his dip in form. He criticised the fans which earnt him more stick, spent the majority of a soccer am interview telling the world how keen he is to play for Chelsea (and generally showing a lack of enthusiasm about Wolves) and to be honest, as he will no doubt agree personally, is only here for the money (which fair enough is his job) and Wolves are just a stepping stone.

He was quality when partnered against Dann but since the partnership has been broken up neither have shown their best form. Perhaps individually they just don't work too well without each other.

He should be in the team as we have no better but he should not be captain, no way - you earn that.

S

Sharples

RJ is fine at heading, give him someone with an small amount of pace and he is $$$$ed. If we had signed him the first time round, we would have had a player. Now he looks leggy and slow and doesnt have a bluenose back 10 to help him. I wasnt convinced by him in his first three games, anytime the ball was on the floor he looked iffy.

Never got excited by his signing, he is no better than what we have IMO.

L

liquidatorwolf

Thread starter this is nonsense. Berra and Stearman have been covering for RJ. Simple as. You're just playing the blame game on the two weak links of our defence two season ago. But Stearman and Berra have been great defensively and thee only worry for me is their clumsiness.

As for RJ I think the reason is purely because of the set-up that MM has to see us have a lot more attackive flair. With the full backs moving up the pitch, we have to depend on Berra's and RJ's positioning and pace, which Berra has and RJ lacks.

Being used to a strong set-up such as Birmingham's, Dann and RJ used to block,tackle,Block and defend deep, with a flat line of defence with Ridgewell and Carr.

I just think he was a completely wrong signing to make, we needed a bit of an athletic defender in our set-up not a traditional, slow paced defender in a defence. Which is supectible to counter attacks.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The run of 'poor form' has lasted for 13 or 14 games. That's some 'run'. Is it really 'poor form' or is he just a very average footballer?

There is something about the chemistry of the team that has changed since last year. I think giving him the captaincy has turned out to be a big, big mistake. I can't believe that Mick did it because he felt it was the right move, but because Johnson demanded it as a condition of moving here. But he has proved to be anything but a leader in his play, his body language on the pitch and in his attitude to the fans. I get the impression he has an over-inflated opinion of himself and his abilities and I for one would like to see the back of him -- sooner rather than later.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

you can have the last two...but how can you say the first statement?
In the game i watched the other night he stuck his head where it hurts for everything, which doesn't show an attitude that stinks. We've had plenty of defenders at Wolves who've gone missing over the years and Johnson isn't one of them...although his form is poor.

The defence is $$$$e, and has been for the entire time we've spent in the premier league. Blaming that on the individuals is pointless....we chose and bought them and our manager picks them every week...they didn't volunteer to play here and they don't pick themselves.
Get the mixture of personnel right and it will improve...but that's nothing to do with any player, apart from his form and ability....and it's still up to the manager.
Crucifying individual players is a longstanding trait of some wolves fans and it's never helped us. It's ironic we talk about players attitudes when some of the supporters could do with a good lesson in life themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dorset DeWolf

Im happy to answer your questions mate.

First things first, he was 'OK' the first 3 games... 'very impressive' I think is a bit OTT and I'll even go as far to say he was marginally at fault for Blackburns first goal.

1. Although not the same thing Ive managed sales teams and done numerous sales training days and one of the subjects covered is body language and trust me Johnsons is all wrong. Slouchy, hands on hips, withdrawn expression, these are not good signs. You are correct in what you say.............it is not the same. I am also told to try and read body language in the workplace throughout the week and it is basically complete and utter $$$$$$$$, people have good days and bad days and you can see that I grant you, however this is once you get to know the colleague and find out their persona and the way they carry themselves, to view RJ for 90mins on a saturday and say his body language suggests he is not interested is garbage.

2. Your critisism of Berra weakens your argument, he has been much improved this season and has been streets ahead of Johnson. He was also 1 half of a defensive partnership that managed to stay up. Johnson however didnt. And when his mate Scott Dann got injured its funny how Blues went from a comfortable mid table position to eventually getting relegated. Just because Berra has played better than last term it does not mean he is right for the team, yes as an individual he is making more last ditch tackles (mainly due to poor positioningin the 1st place) and winning more in the air, however it remains to be seen if we are better with or without him. The losing scott Dann argument is a bit invalid, its like saying if Ferdinand & Vidic were helping United to top the table and then Vidic got injured and they bought in Jonny Evans and slipped to 2nd place then it must be because Ferdinand cant cope with vidic, er no its becuase Vidic is better than Evans.

3. Nothing to do with Connor, seriously. Who must be a half decent coach to be in a job as long as he has and to have served under our last 4 managers. I agree he must be a decent coach, however there must be something he has picked up at wolves which is stopping him reaching his former peaks.

4. 'Linked' and actually signing are 2 very different things... as a Wolves fan surely you must understand that?? Absolutely, however throughout the summer all the pundits were saying how surprised they were he'd came to a club like Wolves and that he should have gone to a bigger club.

You're last sentence clearly states you have a personal vendetta towards our captain and that this thread could put the best argument possible forward in his defence and you still would not be interested in listening, blinkered

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we needed a bit of an athletic defender in our set-up not a traditional, slow paced defender in a defence

We've got one in the squad. His name is Ronald Zubar. Signed as a central defender but not used once by MM in a 1st team match in that role. Yes, his attacking instincts might need to be curbed, but he is athletic, energetic, good in the air and can pass the ball. In other words potentially a good centre-half.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's a decent defender, although I don't think he's much better than Berra. That's not a criticism of Johnson; I think Berra has been superb this season.

He's been off-form and I really don't like his attitude, but he's not as bad as some posters make out.

Some people just need a scape-goat to channel their moans and don't see fit to properly evaluate them. Johnson is doomed before the match starts with these people.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting you chose Butler as an example, considering he was treated a lot worse by the fans here, actually booed to the point of substitution!

Exactly...Butler was dropped for his own protection from supporters who tried to help him by telling him he was $$$$ing useless every week....and this was the Championship. It was right to drop him though...he was poor but never got the chance to play through it because of our idiot fans.

Again...Butler played really well (as could be expected) in the Premier League a year later because we set ourselves up to defend up the pitch with Irwin and Naylor prepared to sweep behind him when he was turned for pace. It was still the same slow Paul Butler but he looked a different player...

H

Hatch End

Maybe Johnson was led up the garden path, as we all were, by the three MMs alleged intention to improve the team in the last close season.

They didn't spend anything and perhaps he's got the hump about it?
If he has he's not the only one!

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Wind back a few months / years and each of Butler, Craddock & Henry were geting an absolute pasting from our crowd. Particularly Butler.

It's the nature of the beast that a crowd gets on a player/s backs from time to time - of course it is - but we manage to consistently take it to a whole new level. It seems to be in the Molineux DNA. Unfortunately. Or even shamefully I'd say in fact.

E

Essex Wolf

Johnson came to Wolves hailed as a very good defensive player but bar less than a handful of games he has been awful.

If Kightly4england wants to back him that's their decision but when you realise just how many goals Johnson has cost Wolves it's an odd decision to me.

Against Norwich he just ambled about and was so far out of position for their opening goal it was hard to believe he was meant to be a central defender. He showed no signs of urgeny and whilst not knowing he mans mind he certainly came across as uninterested such was the lazyiness of his play.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Thanks for your post.

Not sure what you have been watching, drinking or sniffing?

Roger Johnson came with a good reputation and we had a short view of that in the first few games. However since then he has singularly failed to deliver and has made mistake after mistake that has led to goals.

Our defence never looks solid unless Craddock is in the centre and I hoped that we had a new Craddock when we signed Johnson. The short answer is we dont. He is not fit to lace Jody Craddocks boots.

You lower your post further by having a go at the best defender we have at the club in Christophe Berra. He has played well this season and is certainly our best defender. He has pace, size, heading and tackling and positioning. He came to Rogers rescue so many times on Tuesday it was embarrassing.

1. I hope he wants to be here!! His body language is not good but I think thats more to do with his own performance

2. You have no clue

3. No he is in a bad run of form

4. Well done Moxey

5. He is Captain in name only, Berra is commanding the defence and Henry is motivating the team. Watch the next game closely.....I agree we need to get behind him and show our support. So does Mick. Remove the burden of Captaincy and give it back to Henry. Remove the pressure due to lack of form and put Craddock back on the field of play until Johnson regains his form in training

Sorry but you really must try harder, just like Roger!

H

Henry's Tackle

Thanks for your post.

Roger Johnson came with a good reputation and we had a short view of that in the first few games. However since then he has singularly failed to deliver and has made mistake after mistake that has led to goals.

Our defence never looks solid unless Craddock is in the centre and I hoped that we had a new Craddock when we signed Johnson. The short answer is we dont. He is not fit to lace Jody Craddocks boots.

You lower your post further by having a go at the best defender we have at the club in Christophe Berra. He has played well this season and is certainly our best defender. He has pace, size, heading and tackling and positioning. He came to Rogers rescue so many times on Tuesday it was embarrassing.

1. I hope he wants to be here!! His body language is not good but I think thats more to do with his own performance

2. You have no clue

3. No he is in a bad run of form

4. Well done Moxey

5. He is Captain in name only, Berra is commanding the defence and Henry is motivating the team. Watch the next game closely.....I agree we need to get behind him and show our support. So does Mick. Remove the burden of Captaincy and give it back to Henry. Remove the pressure due to lack of form and put Craddock back on the field of play until Johnson regains his form in training

Sorry but you really must try harder, just like Roger!

Very good post, agree with all of this.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You sound surprised that our fans are fickle.......

Doyle......What a signing, our saviour.....well no apparently he's quite $$$$ now and we should get shot of him in the transfer window.

Jarvis.....never be as good as Kightley......Jarvis for England.......playing for England has gone to his head....one season wonder.........well thank God for Jarvo this season.

Ward.....tries hard but never a Premier League player......he's got to be our best player this season......shocking defensive errors in the last two games.....he's probably is $$$$ after all.

Henry........great....$$$$.....great.....$$$$......great.....$$$$......

O'Hara.....sign him up...... get over yourself Holywood......$$$$$$$$ he's injured, now what are we gonna do?

Hunt....gotta love this guy in people's faces, winds them up, always give 100%, £80 million pound goal........Hunt, what's the point?

Ad nauseum....
You are so right ,mate.They moan about everything.Wolves fc ,mas que un equipo.Es un religion!

D

Dorset DeWolf

Thanks for your post.

Our defence never looks solid unless Craddock is in the centre and I hoped that we had a new Craddock when we signed Johnson. The short answer is we dont. He is not fit to lace Jody Craddocks boots. absolutely ridiculous statement, RJ has already shown in his career he is a far more capable defender than Craddock ever has been.

You lower your post further by having a go at the best defender we have at the club in Christophe Berra. He has played well this season and is certainly our best defender. He has pace, size, heading and tackling and positioning. He came to Rogers rescue so many times on Tuesday it was embarrassing. The best defender this season has been Stephen Ward - end of. However i take your point that Berra has improved.

1. I hope he wants to be here!! His body language is not good but I think thats more to do with his own performance - another body language expert, why don't we start a brand new forum based on body language??

2. You have no clue - good argument

3. No he is in a bad run of form - He is

4. Well done Moxey - Agreed

5. He is Captain in name only, Berra is commanding the defence and Henry is motivating the team. Watch the next game closely.....I agree we need to get behind him and show our support. So does Mick. Remove the burden of Captaincy and give it back to Henry. Remove the pressure due to lack of form and put Craddock back on the field of play until Johnson regains his form in training Yeah Berra is doing a great job 'commanding' the defence, how many goals have we conceded?

Sorry but you really must try harder, just like Roger! Try harder?

Thanks for 'thanking me' oracle

I can honestly say I have not been on any form of substance whatsoever, I strongly believe the statement I made.

S

Space Wolf

I want him to do well and I thought he was a good signing in the summer. He started quite well in the first couple of games but it's gone horribly wrong. I honestly don't think coming out and criticising the fans did him any favours what so ever. As soon as he misplaces a pass now, people are waiting to jump on him.

People in the NB were giving him absolute pelters at the end of the Stoke game, and he definitely seemed to be having words with a certain section.

K

KiwiWolf

I'm sure he is good enough. Simple fact is he is a major scapegoat with form like this.

The thing is mate, you know what this forum is like, if it wasn't RJ there would be another scapegoat. People just aren't happy unless they have someone to criticise and blame. It's what people do nowadays. :D

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm sure he'd be getting more slack had he not decided, after being at the club a whole 3 months, to have a go at the fans. Massively wrong move.

I'll get behind him when he starts doing his talking on the pitch.

Nicely summed up.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Berra has been much better, but he's been made to look worse by being pulled all over the place due to the incompetence of clowns like Zubar and Stearman.

D

Deleted member 4008

I am all for getting behind players but Johnson for me has been a real let down. The only problem is that our defence last season shipped 66 goals and we have already conceeded 32 this season and we are not half way through it yet. Berra and Johnson are not good enough at this level , yess Berra may have the odd good game but we must be doing something wrong shipping nearly a hundred goals in a season and a half and we still have the same defenders with just adding Johnson who has been below average at best.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Thanks for 'thanking me' oracle

I can honestly say I have not been on any form of substance whatsoever, I strongly believe the statement I made.

Jesus wept, I think if I was you I would have at least pretended to be drunk....:D

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only body language of Johnson's I can read is his ability to be as slow as whale $$$$.

However this lack of pace isn't exposed as much in a comfortable defensive line, except for the usual times (Walcott moments etc.).

The defensive line is not, and never has been, comfortable under Mick. This is something I find inexcusable in an ex no-nonsense defender.

What would help is to stick to 4-5-1. This is what has seen us survive in the past. 4-4-2 against anyone other than league 1 teams is clueless, we just haven't the personal/nouse to do it, and you expose a slow defence then you look as bad as Johnson has done in recent months.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just been getting so $$$$ed off reading things like 'Johnson is $$$$' 'Johnson is no better than Stearman'

If Stearman had been half as bad as RJ this board would have been in meltdown. The fact is that after a short-lived promising start he's been very poor. I admire your support for him and hope he recaptures his early form very quickly but that doesn't change the fact that to date he's been one of our worst performers - and sadly that is despite some pretty stiff competition.

Back
Top Bottom