Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Robin Li and Fosun are linked..

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who owns us?

Fosun Group or Fosun international?

People where talking about it on twitter

R

reanswolf

Its getting too much. :D

Seriously, it does seem Baidu and FOSUN are inter-linked.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is all baffling to me, so we're owned by FOSUN and Baidu? What on earth.... Messi announced on Monday then?

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
argh anti adblock site, looked interesting, what's the gist?

W

Wichenford Wolf

Its getting too much. :D

Seriously, it does seem Baidu and FOSUN are inter-linked.

I don't think that article says they are inter-linked, just that they are following the same strategy with Indian start-ups.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The smaller company. We're owned by a subsidiary. A subsidiary with not a lot of wealth. It's quite telling that they have already committed to investing '30 million over the next two years...' A little too similar to Morgan's 'commitment'. I'm hoping for the best but with any investment being agreed by committee, I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed Wolves fans.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow... Just imagine they announce it's the pair on Monday :eek:

Not getting my hopes up though.

W

WasStefan

Thought as much. Massive news. Must be a lot of synergies to be made through both companies working closeley.

I did note during the announcement they mentioned 'Fosun group' and not 'Fosun international'

May be a minor technicality but who knows?

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The article refers to "the development"rather than the" developments" which suggests to me the are investing together rather than separately.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
$$$$ the bed if Mr Li is part of the conglomerate, dare to dream of what might be

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meh I wouldn't read too much into that to be honest.

E

Essex Wolf

These are clearly very clever and powerful people who if they set their minds to it could achieve a great deal for Wolves. But for now it's very early days and there is still much to be sorted so for now I'm just happy to sit back and enjoy the current ride hoping for good things to come the clubs way.

GBWolf

Reaction score
The smaller company. We're owned by a subsidiary. A subsidiary with not a lot of wealth. It's quite telling that they have already committed to investing '30 million over the next two years...' A little too similar to Morgan's 'commitment'. I'm hoping for the best but with any investment being agreed by committee, I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed Wolves fans.

I understand what you're saying but i think we'll spend a hell of a lot more than 20-30 in 2 years. The new owner wasn't going to tell the fans that they're investing 40-50 million (or however much they are actually investing)it would put too much pressure of the club to spend. I think by Friday next week we'll have announced a marque signing.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There's nothing telling about that. People are reading far too much into that comment.

It's simply a terms of sale to ensure that a reasonable investment is made into the club. It's a way of preventing, or at least minimising, asset stripping.

It makes them commit to invest a reasonable amount - without committing to too much. Its the MINIMUM they have to spend. They can spend as much as they like if they really want to though.

If the club had inserted a ridiculous clause like £70m per season, Morgan would have struggled to flog the club. If they hadn't inserted any clause at all, the new owners could have flogged the clubs assets and done a runner two years down the line.

It would have been telling if it said they had committed to ONLY spending £30m over the next couple of seasons - but nowhere has that been mentioned, or even hinted at.

Last edited by a moderator:

MolineuxMixer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're richer than you, we're richer than you, we are Wolverhampton we're richer than you...

I'll get my jacket!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are clearly very clever and powerful people who if they set their minds to it could achieve a great deal for Wolves. But for now it's very early days and there is still much to be sorted so for now I'm just happy to sit back and enjoy the current ride hoping for good things to come the clubs way.

Makes a nice change doesn't it Essex after a tumultuous few years for the club, fingers crossed and all that...

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's nothing telling about that. People are reading far too much into that comment.

It's simply a terms of sale to ensure that a reasonable investment is made into the club. It's a way of preventing, or at least minimising, asset stripping.

It makes them commit to invest a reasonable amount - without committing to too much. Its the MINIMUM they have to spend. They can spend as much as they like if they really want to though.

If the club had inserted a ridiculous clause like £70m per season, Morgan would have struggled to flog the club.

It's not a contractural obligation. Well, not as far as I know. Thought it was just a press report/release...?

E

Essex Wolf

Makes a nice change doesn't it Essex after a tumultuous few years for the club, fingers crossed and all that...

Spot on mate.

I truly love the Wolves but found as the more time passed by under Morgan's tenure I was beginning to wonder if the club would ever see good times again. Now whilst having wealthy owners guarantees nothing I at least think I'm seeing light at the end of what had become a very long and dark tunnel.

P

paddy

This

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gets more and more intriguing.

No it doesnt. There is absolutely nothing in that article that suggests any formal link between Li and Fosun. There is nothing to discuss here at all. Just because they are both mentioned in the same sentance doesn't tie them together.

R

reanswolf

Isn't the link that Lopetegui, in an interview with Balague subsequent to him getting the Spain job in the last day or so, confirms that Robin Li is behind the Wolves purchase, hence the suggested link between FOSUN and Li (Baidu).

Lopetegui says he would now be Wolves manager if he had not been pulled to the Spanish job in the last day or so, so this suggests Li's bid was successful in acquiring Wolves.

The only alternative to interpret is that FOSUN pipped Baidu/Li to get Wolves, but then Lopetegui would not now be saying he would otherwise now be the Wolves manager.

Either way, I accept it does not mean how much money will be spent on Wolves, we should NOT get carried away too much. Lets just rejoice that we can now buy better than Conor Coady and can in time progress.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

If the club had inserted a ridiculous clause like £70m per season, Morgan would have struggled to flog the club. If they hadn't inserted any clause at all, the new owners could have flogged the clubs assets and done a runner two years down the line.

It would have been telling if it said they had committed to ONLY spending £30m over the next couple of seasons - but nowhere has that been mentioned, or even hinted at.

Absolutely, 100% this!

I don't think Steve's done anyone any favours by inserting that in to his 'open letter'. It has created confusion and it's drawn parallels with the transaction where he purchased the club.

The difference then was that SJH effectively gave him the club on the proviso of his committing money to it (which he did) whereas this deal is in a totally different stratosphere in terms of the new owner's particular ambitions.

Steve liked the idea of owning a football club as a personal achievement. These new owners are not doing it because they have just suddenly decided it'd be a nice idea. It's not even the same as when QPR had all those super rich people involved in their ownership, because they never committed to spending their own wealth.

What we're seeing here is something quite, quite different.

Daveywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People are allowing daydreams to cloud the current facts, Morgan's 20-30m in 2 years comment was obviously green lighted for publication by the new owners. The only action so far from them is a day after takeover sell one of our better players. KJ is still managing us today despite widespread belief he would be sacked immediately. Lets wait for some positive action before daydreams take over.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are allowing daydreams to cloud the current facts, Morgan's 20-30m in 2 years comment was obviously green lighted for publication by the new owners. The only action so far from them is a day after takeover sell one of our better players. KJ is still managing us today despite widespread belief he would be sacked immediately. Lets wait for some positive action before daydreams take over.

Not necessarily. The deal was complete, as long as Morgan said nothing that was libellous or controlled by the sales agreement (like the price he got) then he can say what he wants.

I think it's entirely likely that he made obtaining a commitment of future investment of 20-30m, either a condition of the sale or a desired negotiating outcome. He could therefore state that in his letter to illustrate his aim to leave Wolves in good hands, and this ties in with most of the rest of the letter.

However, the new owners may have an order of magnitude greater investment plans if that is what they believe is necessary to realise the financial opportunity in an acceptable timeframe. They certainly have the resources to do so if they wish. The statement that our nearly man said to Sky Sports highly suggests this is the case, as does Jonzy's excitement, as does the agent chatter that JC keeps talking about.

Fact is we don't know but will find out more Monday.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Bhattis just bought Chorley

The Bhattis tried to turn us into Chorley and nearly succeeded.

On the 20 - 30 million investment comment. You really have to remember who said it to put it into context.

J

JR's Boots

Under FFP wouldn't Fosun be limited in the amount they could spend? Our turnover with the parachute payments gone must be down around £15-20M

Daveywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly don't believe they are linked in our purchase at all

W

WasStefan

Under FFP wouldn't Fosun be limited in the amount they could spend? Our turnover with the parachute payments gone must be down around £15-20M

Depends what incomings we have to increase turnover

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It matters not a jot who is linked with whoever.

The club has been bought by a Chinese investment group who will have the necessary resources to do what they like.

This is not, as one or two have already pointed out, a sale which has followed so many in recent times, ego rich playboys or mega rich hobbyist along for the kudos.

They will want the club for several reasons and should put the club on a totally different platform designed to meet their goals. They will make sure there are people involved who can deliver. Hence the Moxey 'right time to step down' media speak. He wont be the 'best in the business' for what they want, Mind you he wasn't for what the last two supposedly wanted.

The biggest concern should be how they approach this. Will they change WWFC beyond recognition with evermore global marketing and taking it away from the 'heritage' thing. 'Culture stripping' if you like.I hope not. Molineux needs to stay where it is and needs to remain just Molineux for example.

It doesn't have to be that way and could move the club into the 21st Century, once more putting the club at the forefront of progressing the game and club -as in past years.

It does need to be done by people who know the importance of this, or can listen and learn that they can get what they want in 'global' terms while retaining the soul of he club.

It will be interesting watching what happens next. It will either completely destroy the club as a 'local' institution, or cleverly mould the 'soul' of it with a 'top six' global football club.

If it is the latter I will almost certainly consider returning, even if I cuss a lot at the amounts of lunatic money earned by the players, and continue my arguments for fan representation at the club. There is no reason why the new owners couldn't facilitate this.In fact it is the single most important thing they could to to retain its 'soul' while building a 'global' football club.

There is also the moral issue of Chinese human rights to consider but another argument for another time perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom