Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Roberto Martinez/Anthony Barry

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This may be complete *******s. I may be putting two and two together and getting a lot more than 5. But...
Someone has posted on Twitter this morning that Wolves also spoke to Anthony Barry, who is the first team coach at Chelsea Anthony Barry (footballer) - Wikipedia
Barry is also a coach with Belgium, managed by Roberto Martinez Roberto Martínez - Wikipedia
An appointment of Martinez, with Barry as his assistant, would fit the current "wait until the World Cup is done" shambles.
What I find interesting is that Martinez - scroll down to 'personal life' - has a post-grad diploma in Business Management from Manchester Metropolitan. Am I not right in thinking someone quite close to WWFC has a similar qualification?
As I say, I may be putting 2 and 2 together and making a lot: but God forbid that there are no 'outstanding candidates' because we're waiting for Mr Martinez...

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This may be complete *******s. I may be putting two and two together and getting a lot more than 5. But...
Someone has posted on Twitter this morning that Wolves also spoke to Anthony Barry, who is the first team coach at Chelsea Anthony Barry (footballer) - Wikipedia
Barry is also a coach with Belgium, managed by Roberto Martinez Roberto Martínez - Wikipedia
An appointment of Martinez, with Barry as his assistant, would fit the current "wait until the World Cup is done" shambles.
What I find interesting is that Martinez - scroll down to 'personal life' - has a post-grad diploma in Business Management from Manchester Metropolitan. Am I not right in thinking someone quite close to WWFC has a similar qualification?
As I say, I may be putting 2 and 2 together and making a lot: but God forbid that there are no 'outstanding candidates' because we're waiting for Mr Martinez...
Do they speak Portuguese ?

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In thought that was strange. I’d heard Martinez mentioned on here yesterday I think. Not sure if it came from anything quoted elsewhere. Read about Barry in Johnny Phillips article and thought that was a strange one to interview given he’s the Chelsea/Belgian coach and never been a manager (as far as I’m aware).

Is it feasible that they’d look to bring the both in as head coach and assistant with Martinez aiming to eventually take a DoF role and Barry head coach.

Or am I giving Shi and Sellars too much credit for what could be a common sense manoeuvre

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In thought that was strange. I’d heard Martinez mentioned on here yesterday I think. Not sure if it came from anything quoted elsewhere. Read about Barry in Johnny Phillips article and thought that was a strange one to interview given he’s the Chelsea/Belgian coach and never been a manager (as far as I’m aware).

Is it feasible that they’d look to bring the both in as head coach and assistant with Martinez aiming to eventually take a DoF role and Barry head coach.

Or am I giving Shi and Sellars too much credit for what could be a common sense manoeuvre

While Sellars and Martinez both have a degree from Manchester Metropolitan, I doubt that it connects them in anyway. First of all because they took it more than 10 years apart.
Having said that, I think we could well be in for Martinez which I wouldn't be too happy about.
His teams play nice possessionbased football but struggle to break teams down, unless they can (like Belgium) rely on moments of magic from their star players.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My daughter's boyfriend is an Everton fan. I asked him what he thought about Martinez. He just laughed and said "Enjoy Hull on a Tuesday night."

Everton have struggled with all their managers since the Howard Kendall days.

Martinez has learned a lot since his time their and is respected.

I wouldn’t be against his appointment at all if we can’t get Lopetegui in January.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 and 2 and getting 55 I'd say..what an imagination.
Will they be bringing thiery Henry as well?
This is sounding expensive

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Not a name I’d considered before but actually think he’d be a fairly decent fit for our current squad.

Very focused on technique and possession-based football (the likes of Rodgers, Laudrup and Potter were selected by Swansea to carry on the type of footballing ethos he bought to that club). Iberian but with massive experience of English football and managing bigger name players.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a name I’d considered before but actually think he’d be a fairly decent fit for our current squad.

Very focused on technique and possession-based football (the likes of Rodgers, Laudrup and Potter were selected by Swansea to carry on the type of footballing ethos he bought to that club). Iberian but with massive experience of English football and managing bigger name players.

His teams also has problems creating chances against defensiveminded opponents, so that would fit in well to with our goalshy team..

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton have struggled with all their managers since the Howard Kendall days.

Martinez has learned a lot since his time their and is respected.

I wouldn’t be against his appointment at all if we can’t get Lopetegui in January.

Whats the proof that he's learned a lot since his time at Everton? He's been the manager of Belgium, with arguably their best pool of players ever. Cant see how that's prepared him for a relegation fight at Wolves.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats the proof that he's learned a lot since his time at Everton? He's been the manager of Belgium, with arguably their best pool of players ever. Cant see how that's prepared him for a relegation fight at Wolves.
He’s kept Belgium at the top of the world rankings since 2016.

No doubt learnt a lot from watching football around the world and playing good football.

Hopefully we will be a lot higher in the Premier League after the World Cup and not where we are now.

I wouldn’t be against his appointment, although my first choice is Lopetegui.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Martinez but even Ancelotti struggled at Everton
Martinez followed Moyes who had built very good defensive foundations from which he benefited but gradually it fell apart to the point he was sacked. Reminiscent of Lage following Nuno.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely have someone in mind. Whether Lopetegui, Gallardo or Martinez (Southgate to Villa? please!) I have no idea. If we didn’t have a plan then we’d still be looking.

Just hope they are in place before transfer window closes!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’m not convinced Martinez is any better than Southgate, personally.

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I watched Chris Kirkland on the under the cosh podcast a few weeks ago and he said during the first team meeting after Martinez was appointed Wigan manager he asked all the players "How many of you have kids? You shouldn't have kids until you've retired or are coming towards the end of your career as you need to focus on football 24/7". They were 17th in the league and he then told them "I don't see you as a bottom 3 team, you should be in the top 4 with the quality you have"

A strange character by the sounds of it.

Back
Top Bottom