Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rob Edwards

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you have some spare coins and quite like a bet, I'd suggest you find best odds possible, pretty sure you have had far worse Accas on a weekend

Reactions: Ian

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
End result would be the same relegation.
Yes it would, but we would be a better team I think with edwards who did a good job at other clubs.

Gary o Neil regardless of keeping Bournemouth up, didn’t get the fans onside and there were more bad performances from them than us and they were in a better place than we were when he took over.

Jeff likes a bloke because he got a new manager/caretaker bounce. They never last.

If the rumoured shortlist is from Hobbs, then I am disappointed as all I hear is great things about what he had been doing on the player sales and drumming up interest in them.

Shows how little Jeff understands the game if true though still.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just passing on what told mate. Contact with a club (in or out of a job) shouldn't really come too much of a surprise nowadays. Out of respect to source I really don't want to say much more other than if you like a bet, might be worth it.

I did post about Edwards/Wolves some months ago. They are very, very keen on one an other. He as good as got the job last October after JL initially turned us down, only for Shi etc to back out after social media reaction to his interview taking place. We think they may have changed that view now somewhat, given what he achieved last season and I know as fact he has no issues with the current strategy.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would take Edwards over O’Neill given the choice.
Our of all the options banded around if JL were to leave, he is the bet option for me.

Dean smith would be like when Everton appointed Benitez, he will lose the fans as soon as announced.

Lampard - you just need to see him manage to know he cannot do it so alarmingly worrying he is being considered after what happened at Everton and his shambolic second turn at Chelsea.

O’Neil - joke appointment, had the caretaker bounce purely because the players actually liked him and hated the manager they sacked. He needs another job to show he is up to standard as a token few months isn’t good enough.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our of all the options banded around if JL were to leave, he is the bet option for me.

Dean smith would be like when Everton appointed Benitez, he will lose the fans as soon as announced.

Lampard - you just need to see him manage to know he cannot do it so alarmingly worrying he is being considered after what happened at Everton and his shambolic second turn at Chelsea.

O’Neil - joke appointment, had the caretaker bounce purely because the players actually liked him and hated the manager they sacked. He needs another job to show he is up to standard as a token few months isn’t good enough.
On the same page.

Although I don’t believe we are really looking at Lampard or Smith.. they’ve both just had massive failures.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just passing on what told mate. Contact with a club (in or out of a job) shouldn't really come too much of a surprise nowadays. Out of respect to source I really don't want to say much more other than if you like a bet, might be worth it.

I did post about Edwards/Wolves some months ago. They are very, very keen on one an other. He as good as got the job last October after JL initially turned us down, only for Shi etc to back out after social media reaction to his interview taking place. We think they may have changed that view now somewhat, given what he achieved last season and I know as fact he has no issues with the current strategy.
Not knocking the info, it is highly likely with how strong the links were before JL came in.

Just doesn’t look good all-round that the chat took place Sunday when it could have happened mid week under the guise of “former player just networking at his old club” which would have looked far more innocent.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly Hope JLo stays but currently even if he does he won’t last more than a season. Does well and he’ll go, does badly and he’ll go, S Arabia big4 side have a vacancy and he’ll go.

Would take Edwards ...

Just hate club being dragged through the mud.

It isn’t Hope that kills you it is lack of Hope.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re your first sentence if it was phrased "least bad" l would agree. I'd still expect significant parts of the squad to want out and us to go down though.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why on earth would Edwards leave Luton for us, how long before Fosun would do the dirty on him as well.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better squad, bigger club. Although I wouldn’t be surprised, if it really came to it, if he wanted to see things through at Luton.
Yes but the bigger and better squad won't be for long because when Lopetegui leaves there will be a cull of saleable players.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your first sentence if it was phrased "least bad" l would agree. I'd still expect significant parts of the squad to want out and us to go down though.
I have been gone at for being “uniformally negative” and “always negative”

So was trying to say that without being perceived as negative lol.

I said further up, it would still likely end in the same relegation as o’neill, but I think we would be a better team with edwards.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Luton are by far the weakest side in the league and there is next to no hope or chance of them staying up.

He comes to wolves, he already has a squad levels above what he has, he can play a style of football he wants and even with no additions for a year it is a better option than Luton.

Wolves over Luton is a no brainer easy decision for any football person with a functioning brain.

I guess timing would be a factor.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess timing would be a factor.
Yeah, but I just think if he leaves it too long and they take a few of their inevitable thumpings his reputation which is actually really good could take a battering and it might not be worth it for him.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We used to have that ‘young and hungry’ nonsense under Jez M. Looks like we are going for ‘Cheap, Cheerful and Compliant’ if rumours linking us to Gary O’Neil and Rob Edwards are true. What a come down!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So which of the people wanting rid of Lopetegui for his supposed lack of loyalty are going to be happy to take a guy assuming he would walk out of his newly promoted club on the eve of the season? Miracle what he achieved last season, but God they looked awful in the friendly.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feels a bit like we are all getting played, release O Neil’s name into the media, then give us a slightly less rubbish option, and bingo you quieten the noise, then you can get back to pretending to be competitive

Wolf_Words

Reaction score
Purely speculation of course, but when the buy back clause got included in Giles going to Luton, I couldn't help but wonder if it was because Rob Edwards likes him and we like Rob Edwards.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea - is managerial sacking/appointments included in the ffp forecast budget ?

Apparently not, but if you listen to Phillips on the podcast, the lack of money is not because of FFP, it’s a decision from China above Shi’s head. So if we can’t afford to sack Lopetegui and his staff, which is exactly what Phillips said, then we certainly can’t afford to pay compensation to get Edwards.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently not, but if you listen to Phillips on the podcast, the lack of money is not because of FFP, it’s a decision from China above Shi’s head. So if we can’t afford to sack Lopetegui and his staff, which is exactly what Phillips said, then we certainly can’t afford to pay compensation to get Edwards.
So is Phillips saying that the Chinese want to lose the influence they crave for in this country? That they want to be associated with a losing club that is being ridiculed? That Fosun is not an international organisation?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So is Phillips saying that the Chinese want to lose the influence they crave for in this country? That they want to be associated with a losing club that is being ridiculed? That Fosun is not an international organisation?
I think that’s the crux of it. Xi is less keen to cosy up to the West than his predecessor. China is seen by many as a massive security threat so lucrative contracts don’t come their way therefore they don’t care about the influence.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'll cost a few million to get him. Why not spend that on a centre half and just keep Lopetegui
Exactly this. To sack JL and his team would cost millions + the cost of bringing in a new management team and likely relegation. Elvidi and Scott would cost around £30 mil and you likely keep JL. It's a total no brainer. Find the cash Wolves, keep JL happy and go to OT on an up.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He’s simply saying that the club had a plan for last summer and were blindsided (his word) by the abrupt change in China which saw money made available for expensive transfers at the end of the window. That was first hand knowledge. He said JL did a lot of due diligence on Wolves before he arrived (his team were here before him) so it’s clear that he knew our situation before he agreed to come. He said it appears the club’s plans have changed since JL arrived, which is consistent with Hobbs public comments and how they have changed since January. He suggested that the reason for the changing guidance from China may be geopolitical or Fosun’s own finances, but he was clear that’s where this is coming from, not FFP. He said he spoke to investment bankers in London and to a financial journalist and there is zero chance that the club did not know their position regarding FFP and its finances at all times.

In case you haven’t noticed, Fosun have been pulling back on non core investments over the past year to help strengthen their corporate finances. China has also backed off developing football which is why many Chinese owners have sold their European clubs or stopping spending.

Back
Top Bottom