Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

RIP Stan Bowles

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was bought as a replacement for the great Rodney Marsh and became even better than he was, RIP.
Played when the game had a lot of characters which we sadly don't see any more.

Last edited:

Rowzed

Reaction score
What a player! Remember watching him and Rodney Marsh. May he RIP
On a slightly lighter note, one of the very few players who didn’t play for Wolves to get two threads on the Mix within a minute of one another

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the greats imho. Him, Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington, Tony Currie - sort of football mavericks if you like. We don't seem to have these type of plyers now; perhaps the game and the money involved has killed them off. We need characters, that's why I loved the Doog and also Peter Knowles, players who broke the mould and the rules. RIP Stan.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the greats imho. Him, Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington, Tony Currie - sort of football mavericks if you like. We don't seem to have these type of plyers now; perhaps the game and the money involved has killed them off. We need characters, that's why I loved the Doog and also Peter Knowles, players who broke the mould and the rules. RIP Stan.

Unfortunately we've learned that all professional sport success is based on minimisation of risk.
Players that either aren't fit, give the ball away, do unusual things or see discipline as a problem are a coaches nightmare and they've largely been eliminated, even if you could call them geniuses.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh - a trio of mavericks that blessed my eyes as an impressionable kid in the 70s.

They weren't world class in the vein of George Best but were born entertainers that I'd love to see play against Wolves and look out for on Match of the Day and Star Soccer.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said a superb player and someone 'different", a characte, the sort of playereven oppositionfans admired and respected. And skillful in an age where such players weren't protected like today.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Stan Bowles and compare him to the likes of Charlie George, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Rodney Marsh (ugh) as great players to watch. They all had loads of skill, did the unexpected and made football enjoyable.

Once again, really sad news. Stan put a smile on people’s faces, he was that type of player.

RIP Stan Bowles with condolences to family and friends.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Would put Alan Hudson in there as well

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a player Stan was and what a team QPR had in that awful season ( from a Wolves point of view ! ) in 1975/76. Don Givens, John Hollins, Mick Leach, Dave Thomas, Gerry Francis, Dave Clement and Stan were all part of that team that if we had held off the Scousers in that game on May 4th 1976 would have been football league champions.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Stan

Pint before the game that starts in 10 mins Iv heard a few funny stories about his QPR days
One of his ex team mates told the tale of when the manager once said 20 minutes before kick off, “Where’s Stan? I need to do the team talk.” Someone replied that he’d just popped out to put a bet on :tearsofjoy:. Apparently he’d gone out in his full kit, wearing a coat over the top of it.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of his ex team mates told the tale of when the manager once said 20 minutes before kick off, “Where’s Stan? I need to do the team talk.” Someone replied that he’d just popped out to put a bet on :tearsofjoy:. Apparently he’d gone out in his full kit, wearing a coat over the top of it.
Brilliant. The good old days

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant player, also one hell of a character.
RIP ..Stanley

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another of the '70s 'Mavericks' bites the dust.
RIP Stan

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Stan

Pint before the game that starts in 10 mins Iv heard a few funny stories about his QPR days
According to the paper this was his home matchday routine -
Stan The Man would breeze into the Queen’s Tavern in South Africa Road about half an hour before the 3 pm kick-off, after popping into the corner shop to buy a packet of fags.
He would smoke the first of those cigarettes for luck, down his pint, then stop at the adjacent betting shop to place his bets for the day’s races. He would make it to the home dressing room too late for the manager’s team talk but just in time to pull on his kit and boots and run last out of the tunnel. To roars of acclamation from the crowd.
Whether or not there was a break in play he would drift towards the touchline shortly before half time and call out to a couple of regular fans close to the home dug-out, who would tell him which nag had won the 3.30 at somewhere like Haydock Park.

That would be repeated during the second half for information on more of the day’s races. After the post-match interviews – always jocular affairs win or lose on the gee-gees or in the game -we would reconvene at the pub. Then he would be off carousing through Saturday night with Don Shanks, his team-mate and flat-mate. Perhaps via a punter’s house call at the nearest dog track.

Beowulf

Reaction score
Apart from his flair my greatest memory of him was at the 1980 league Cup final. He didn't play for some reason or another but walked past the Wolves fans on the dog track to the chorus of "Where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone Stanley Bowls. With the milkman with the milkman, with the milkman Stanley Bowls!" I remember he gave us a huge smile. I was only 15 so may not remember it too factually.

Middlesex Mixer

Groupie
Reaction score
Apart from his flair my greatest memory of him was at the 1980 league Cup final. He didn't play for some reason or another but walked past the Wolves fans on the dog track to the chorus of "Where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone Stanley Bowls. With the milkman with the milkman, with the milkman Stanley Bowls!" I remember he gave us a huge smile. I was only 15 so may not remember it too factually.

I remember once going to Loftus Road in those days to see us play away there, and our fans were singing those very same words at Stan Bowles during the match! In a sad coincidence, I think it was at that match when Paul Bradshaw RIP stooped to collect a weak shot to his goal, and the ball went between his legs and into the goal! No doubt they’ll be comparing notes in the celestial dressing room. RIP both.

Back
Top Bottom