Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

RIP Franz Beckenbauer

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
RIP Franz x

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, thinking about this perhaps the greatest player I ever saw, certainly the greatest defender. If you thought Alan Hansen and Van Dyke are coolness personified this guy imo was 10 times the player they were/are. He never seemed flustered or panicked, just Mr cool. RIP Franz, I will never forget watching you.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic player, I remember him playing with one arm strapped up, and still a commanding presence.
RIP Franz

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Der Kaiser as he was known was simply one of the greatest footballers of his or any other generation. Beckenbauer seemed to just stroll around the pitch such was his reading of the game. He was a very good coach as well.

R.I.P to an all time great.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember him as a brilliant attacking midfielder in the 1966 World Cup. Saw him play v Spain at Villa Park in a group match. He & Bobby Charlton cancelled each other out in the final.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He played before my time but we all knew who the Kaiser was, RIP

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a player, there will never be another like Franz Beckenbauer, he created the modern interpretation of the role of sweeper. He did not run, the glided across the pitch. The man could read the game like no other and always seemed to be exactly where the attacking side played the ball.

While they were at the end of their respective careers, it is incredible to look back and remember he and Pele played in the same team, the mid 1970s New York Cosmos side.

As a child of the seventies I have many memories of the Bayern side that won the European Cup three years in succession. Then, there was of course, that truly great West German side that won the 1972 European Championship and then the 74 World Cup. The picture of Der Kaiser holding up the World Cup trophy in that magnificent white shirt with the black collar and cuffs with the German eagle emblem is one of the most iconic football photographs for me.

The greatest tribute that can be paid to a sporting figure is when people who don't have any real interest in it know who that person is, this was certainly true of the great Franz Beckenbauer.

Auf Wiedersehen Der Kaiser

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great, great player. Privileged to see him play in the flesh on one occasion, and a painful one for England it was. April 1972, England 1 West Germany 3. What a team that was: Beckenbauer, Muller, Netzer, Breitner, Hoeness, Held, Maier in goal from memory. Franny Lee scored one for us, but they were simply MILES better, with Der Kaiser and Netzer pulling the strings. RIP to one of the all time greats.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without doubt one of the greatest players to have played the great game. An absolute legend and a gentleman of the game. A great manager as well.

I remember watching him in the 1966 World Cup when he was 21 years old and just knew he was destined to become one of the best players in the world. It was as if he was gliding across the pitch when he had the ball at his feet. So graceful, skilful, great to watch and he made it look easy.

Der Kaiser was up there with our greats Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore and many more.

Another very, very sad day. RIP Der Kaiser.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Great, great player. Privileged to see him play in the flesh on one occasion, and a painful one for England it was. April 1972, England 1 West Germany 3. What a team that was: Beckenbauer, Muller, Netzer, Breitner, Hoeness, Held, Maier in goal from memory. Franny Lee scored one for us, but they were simply MILES better, with Der Kaiser and Netzer pulling the strings. RIP to one of the all time greats.
That's how I remember the match BSK, it was on the telly with Netzer pulling the strings as you say.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember him as a brilliant attacking midfielder in the 1966 World Cup. Saw him play v Spain at Villa Park in a group match. He & Bobby Charlton cancelled each other out in the final.

They were two greats of the game on opposing sides. Neither of them gave or asked for an inch. Der Kaiser and Bobby Charlton became and remained great friends. It is sad that two of the finest footballers to have graced a football pitch should pass away within a couple of months of each other.

Reaction score
Certainly remember that game BSK.
My mates and myself were in awe of the long haired blond guy in midfield!
Netzer definitely ran the midfield that game!

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Der Kaiser.

There's one hell of a team developing in them there clouds!

Back
Top Bottom