Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Research Project: How has Fosun's corporate investment impacted the Experience of Football Fandom?

G

Gus

Hi all,
I've just started conducting an independent study for my undergraduate dissertation at the University of Oxford on Fosun's corporate investment into Wolves since July 2016, and the effects it has had on the fan base.

It would help me massively if as many of you as possible could complete my survey (linked below) and if I could organise some interviews with a few of you on the back of it.
It's multiple choice so shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
Thanks in advance!
LINK:
https://forms.gle/ydgLGYhZR95dcJKMA

Below are details of your rights as a participant:

Augustine Iliff
Geography Undergraduate
Oxford telephone number: 01865285070
Oxford University email address: augustine.iliff@spc.ox.ac.uk

ONLINE CONSENT FORM

Central University Research Ethics Committee (CUREC) Approval Reference: reference SOGE 1A-19-122

“The People’s Game”: How has the Chinese corporate investment in football clubs in the West Midlands changed the experience of football fandom?

The overarching aim of my dissertation is to examine the effects of financialization caused by foreign investment in Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. on the experience of football fandom, along the lines of fan bases, commercialization, internationalization and club relationship with the wider community.

We appreciate your interest in participating in this questionnaire/ online survey. You have been invited to participate as you are an adult who supports Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. Please read through these terms before agreeing to participate by ticking the ‘yes’ box below. You may ask any questions before taking part by contacting the researcher (details below).

You will be given some questions to read, and then answer questions on your experience of the change in ownership at Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. It should take no longer than 10 minutes. No background knowledge is required. The information provided may be used as part of my undergraduate dissertation, and I may choose to request a more in-depth interview at a later date. Only I will have access to this information.

Please note that your participation is voluntary. You may withdraw at any point during the questionnaire for any reason, before submitting your answers, by pressing the ‘Exit’ button / closing the browser.

Your answers will be completely anonymous if you choose, and we will use all reasonable endeavours to keep them confidential.

Your data will be stored in a password-protected file and may be used in academic publications. Your IP address will not be stored. All questions are optional / OR we have included a ‘Prefer not to say’ option for each set of questions if you prefer not to answer a particular question. Research data will be stored for a minimum of three years after publication or public release.

Who will have access to your data?

Only I will have access to your data.

The University of Oxford is the data controller with respect to your personal data, and as such will determine how your personal data is used in the study. The University will process your personal data for the purpose of the research outlined above. Research is a task that we perform in the public interest. Further information about your rights with respect to your personal data is available from Individual Rights | Compliance.

[Or, if collecting anonymised data, incl. no IP addresses}: [Online Survey Provider Name] is the data controller with respect to your personal data and, as such, will determine how your personal data is used. Please see their privacy notice here [insert link]. [Online Survey Provider Name] will share only fully anonymised data with the University of Oxford, for the purposes of research.

Responsible members of the University of Oxford and funders may be given access to data for monitoring and/or audit of the study to ensure we are complying with guidelines, or as otherwise required by law.

This questionnaire is for an undergraduate project. The principal researcher is Augustine (Gus) Iliff, who is attached to the School of Geography and the Environment at the University of Oxford. This project is being completed under the supervision of Dariusz Wojcik.

This project has been reviewed by, and received ethics clearance through, the University of Oxford Central University Research Ethics Committee [reference number***].

What if there is a problem?

If you have a concern about any aspect of this project, please speak to the researcher [researcher name and email/tel.] or their supervisor [supervisor name and email/tel.], who will do their best to answer your query. The researcher should acknowledge your concern within 10 working days and give you an indication of how they intend to deal with it. If you remain unhappy or wish to make a formal complaint, please contact the relevant Chair of the Research Ethics Committee at the University of Oxford:

Chair, Social Sciences & Humanities Inter-Divisional Research Ethics Committee; Email: ethics@socsci.ox.ac.uk; Address: Research Services, University of Oxford, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD

The Chair will seek to resolve the matter in a reasonably expeditious manner.

Contact details:
Augustine Iliff
Mobile number: 07804469842
Oxford email: augustine.iliff@spc.ox.ac.uk

Please note that you may only participate in this survey if you are 18 years of age or over.

☐ I certify that I am 18 years of age or over.

If you have read the information above and agree to participate with the understanding that the data (including any personal data) you submit will be processed accordingly, please check the relevant box below to get started.

☐ Yes, I agree to take part

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Done.

All the questions were fine, apart from this one.....

"Financially, Wolves are a tiny project within Fosun's wider business portfolio. How do you feel about the club taking on a subordinate role within the Fosun enterprise?"

This question is based on opinion, not fact. I therefore couldn't answer it, as I disagreed with your opinion.

The comments from the article below don't suggest to me that Wolves will be taking on a subordinate role within Fosun.

Wolves to become a legacy for Fosun, says Shi

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's all as well conducting that survey now, but the responses will be significantly different if we have a poor season this season and don't sign anyone in this transfer window.

G

Gus

Was ready to fill in until I had to give my email address. No thanks!
Hi Jay,

The only reason the survey required an email address is so that I might be able to contact some of you for interviews afterwards - the question almost immediately after asks whether I can contact you for a further discussion. If you were to answer this question "no", of course I wouldn't contact you/use your email address for any alternative means, as outlined in the description of your rights as a participant.

You can even put in a fake email address if you wish.

It would be a massive help if you could fill in the survey as I'm not too far from my target number of responses, but I understand if you do not wish to do so.

Hope you change your mind,

Cheers

G

Gus

It's all as well conducting that survey now, but the responses will be significantly different if we have a poor season this season and don't sign anyone in this transfer window.

Naturally, research on current affairs is always subject to change; this is something I will have to take into account in my project. My project will continue to assess the situation over the next couple of months so is not just a snapshot of the present consensus. Furthermore, one of the key things I am looking for is whether Fosun's generally good reception so far has been entirely contingent on the results on the pitch or whether there is a deeper-rooted sentiment surrounding their corporate involvement.

I hope this helps. I'd love to discuss with you further if you'd be open to it.

Thanks,

Gus

G

Gus

Done.

All the questions were fine, apart from this one.....

"Financially, Wolves are a tiny project within Fosun's wider business portfolio. How do you feel about the club taking on a subordinate role within the Fosun enterprise?"

This question is based on opinion, not fact. I therefore couldn't answer it, as I disagreed with your opinion.

The comments from the article below don't suggest to me that Wolves will be taking on a subordinate role within Fosun.

Wolves to become a legacy for Fosun, says Shi

Thanks for your comment. I understand your perspective, and yes, to some extent this question is opinionated. I have also seen and agree with the fact that it seems like Fosun intend to continue a long-term project at the club. However, there is factual evidence to suggest that Wolves, at this point at least, are not at the forefront of Fosun's business focus - they were not, for example, mentioned once in Fosun's annual report in 2016 when they took over the club. Wolves have only been mentioned for the first time this year in a very short paragraph as follows "Wolverhampton Wanderers, a football team invested by Fosun, successfully won English Football League Championship 2017/2018 and was promoted to one of the world’s top football leagues, the English Premier League" - this was part of a 327 page document on the corporate developments within Fosun, so I stand by my comment that Wolves remain a small project within the wider portfolio.

I would love to talk to you further about this if you'd like to do the same.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Good luck with your project @Gus! My answers were quite boring, very satisfied, very satisfied, very satisfied! Couple of things I'm not bothered by, but otherwise think Fosun have been brilliant for Wolves.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK I'll bite. What's this got to do with a geography degree? It was all about lakes and mountains when I was at school. Granted I gave it up when I was 14 so might not have the modern persepctive Oxford University has, but generally I am right on these sorts of things

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just started conducting an independent study for my undergraduate dissertation at the University of Oxford on Fosun's corporate investment into Wolves since July 2016, and the effects it has had on the fan base.

It would help me massively if as many of you as possible could complete my survey (linked below) and if I could organise some interviews with a few of you on the back of it.
It's multiple choice so shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
Thanks in advance!
LINK:
https://forms.gle/ydgLGYhZR95dcJKMA

Below are details of your rights as a participant:

Augustine Iliff
Geography Undergraduate
Oxford telephone number: 01865285070
Oxford University email address: augustine.iliff@spc.ox.ac.uk

ONLINE CONSENT FORM

Central University Research Ethics Committee (CUREC) Approval Reference: reference SOGE 1A-19-122

“The People’s Game”: How has the Chinese corporate investment in football clubs in the West Midlands changed the experience of football fandom?

The overarching aim of my dissertation is to examine the effects of financialization caused by foreign investment in Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. on the experience of football fandom, along the lines of fan bases, commercialization, internationalization and club relationship with the wider community.

We appreciate your interest in participating in this questionnaire/ online survey. You have been invited to participate as you are an adult who supports Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. Please read through these terms before agreeing to participate by ticking the ‘yes’ box below. You may ask any questions before taking part by contacting the researcher (details below).

You will be given some questions to read, and then answer questions on your experience of the change in ownership at Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. It should take no longer than 10 minutes. No background knowledge is required. The information provided may be used as part of my undergraduate dissertation, and I may choose to request a more in-depth interview at a later date. Only I will have access to this information.

Please note that your participation is voluntary. You may withdraw at any point during the questionnaire for any reason, before submitting your answers, by pressing the ‘Exit’ button / closing the browser.

Your answers will be completely anonymous if you choose, and we will use all reasonable endeavours to keep them confidential.

Your data will be stored in a password-protected file and may be used in academic publications. Your IP address will not be stored. All questions are optional / OR we have included a ‘Prefer not to say’ option for each set of questions if you prefer not to answer a particular question. Research data will be stored for a minimum of three years after publication or public release.

Who will have access to your data?

Only I will have access to your data.

The University of Oxford is the data controller with respect to your personal data, and as such will determine how your personal data is used in the study. The University will process your personal data for the purpose of the research outlined above. Research is a task that we perform in the public interest. Further information about your rights with respect to your personal data is available from Individual Rights | Compliance.

[Or, if collecting anonymised data, incl. no IP addresses}: [Online Survey Provider Name] is the data controller with respect to your personal data and, as such, will determine how your personal data is used. Please see their privacy notice here [insert link]. [Online Survey Provider Name] will share only fully anonymised data with the University of Oxford, for the purposes of research.

Responsible members of the University of Oxford and funders may be given access to data for monitoring and/or audit of the study to ensure we are complying with guidelines, or as otherwise required by law.

This questionnaire is for an undergraduate project. The principal researcher is Augustine (Gus) Iliff, who is attached to the School of Geography and the Environment at the University of Oxford. This project is being completed under the supervision of Dariusz Wojcik.

This project has been reviewed by, and received ethics clearance through, the University of Oxford Central University Research Ethics Committee [reference number***].

What if there is a problem?

If you have a concern about any aspect of this project, please speak to the researcher [researcher name and email/tel.] or their supervisor [supervisor name and email/tel.], who will do their best to answer your query. The researcher should acknowledge your concern within 10 working days and give you an indication of how they intend to deal with it. If you remain unhappy or wish to make a formal complaint, please contact the relevant Chair of the Research Ethics Committee at the University of Oxford:

Chair, Social Sciences & Humanities Inter-Divisional Research Ethics Committee; Email: ethics@socsci.ox.ac.uk; Address: Research Services, University of Oxford, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD

The Chair will seek to resolve the matter in a reasonably expeditious manner.

Contact details:
Augustine Iliff
Mobile number: 07804469842
Oxford email: augustine.iliff@spc.ox.ac.uk

Please note that you may only participate in this survey if you are 18 years of age or over.

☐ I certify that I am 18 years of age or over.

If you have read the information above and agree to participate with the understanding that the data (including any personal data) you submit will be processed accordingly, please check the relevant box below to get started.

☐ Yes, I agree to take part

Hi Gus

If you're looking at West Midlands football as this suggests "“The People’s Game”: How has the Chinese corporate investment in football clubs in the West Midlands changed the experience of football fandom?"

Then you need to look at villa, Birmingham city and WBA over last four years too, in order to get a balanced picture

Fosun-wolves in isolation doesn't answer your question

D

Deleted member 7206

Hi Jay,

The only reason the survey required an email address is so that I might be able to contact some of you for interviews afterwards - the question almost immediately after asks whether I can contact you for a further discussion. If you were to answer this question "no", of course I wouldn't contact you/use your email address for any alternative means, as outlined in the description of your rights as a participant.

You can even put in a fake email address if you wish.

It would be a massive help if you could fill in the survey as I'm not too far from my target number of responses, but I understand if you do not wish to do so.

Hope you change your mind,

Cheers
Fair comments pal. Will do tonight. Just for clarity my email address will be youngandhung@hotmail.com

Reactions: Gus
C

CzechWolf

OK I'll bite. What's this got to do with a geography degree? It was all about lakes and mountains when I was at school. Granted I gave it up when I was 14 so might not have the modern persepctive Oxford University has, but generally I am right on these sorts of things

Human Geography. Society, development, culture, economy and politics, all within the context of their environment.

C

CzechWolf

Hi Gus

If you're looking at West Midlands football as this suggests "“The People’s Game”: How has the Chinese corporate investment in football clubs in the West Midlands changed the experience of football fandom?"

Then you need to look at villa, Birmingham city and WBA over last four years too, in order to get a balanced picture

It's an undergrad dissertation, not a PhD...

G

Gus

Good luck with your project @Gus! My answers were quite boring, very satisfied, very satisfied, very satisfied! Couple of things I'm not bothered by, but otherwise think Fosun have been brilliant for Wolves.
Haha, no worries, I’m glad you’re enjoying the Fosun era. Thanks a lot for responding to the survey!

G

Gus

If you get a response from someone called Laurie Dalrymple, can you please share his answers here?
Haha. I was hoping to get an interview with him, maybe that’ll be easier now he’s out the back door.

G

Gus

Hi Gus

Yes, unfortunately as CzechWolf pointed out I only have a limited scope within my undergraduate dissertation. I grappled with the idea of doing all four main clubs in the West Midlands, as my study is rooted in the broader phenomenon of Chinese investment in all four clubs in recent years to varying degrees of success. I chose to focus on Wolves for several reasons:
1. Surveying and interviewing people from all four clubs would be highly time-consuming
2. I only have 12,000 words to play with so I wouldn’t have any depth if I covered all four clubs
3. Wolves has been the most successful project initiated by Chinese investment thus far so I thought it would be the most interesting to analyse from a fans’ perspective - very often clubs are assessed when they are going wrong, it is far rarer to look at clubs the seem to be succeeding.

I will obviously contextualise the project at Wolves as a symptom of a wider phenomenon in the West Midlands and England more widely, but I’ll only be able to touch briefly on this in my introduction.

Hope this helps

G

Gus

Haha. Yes maybe geography has changed since your day; it’s also pretty different when you get to university. Much of my course focuses on social and economic geographies, but this topic of discussion is entirely crafted by me (obviously this specifically doesn’t come up in the course).

Back
Top Bottom