Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Replace 3 players in January?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of our current starting 11, I'm not talking back up for the squad. Which 3 players would you replace and why, bonus points for realistic replacements?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The spine of the team. So a new centre back (Williamson) A central midfielder, neither attacking or defensive, but one who can do a bit of everything like midfielders generally could before they all got pigeon holed for some unknown reason. And finally another striker, Jay Simpson perhaps.

So Batth, Edwards and Coady would be my choice just like above

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Edwards, reason is obvious.

EEL, think he is a terrible footballer

Coady/Mcdonald, supposed to be the engine room of the side, safe to say its not.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
1. Centre-half. EEL for Williamson or Mariappa (would love both). EEL has some great physical attributes but we need some experience and leadership in the back four.

2. Dave Edwards. Works so hard but in a 4-2-3-1 system, you need more guile and quality from your 'Number 10'. Ideal replacements would be Alex Pritchard or Nick Powell. I actually think Mark Davies could play in a midfield three as well. Perhaps Zyro will be the answer there...

3. Scott Golbourne. I quite like Golbourne but I think we need some quality competition there. Struggling a little for potential replacements. James Husband?

Martinez
Iorfa, Williamson, Batth, Husband
Price, McDonald
Byrne, Pritchard, Graham
Afobe

Ikeme, Hause, Coady, Zyro, Wallace, Henry, Enokbahare

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eel, Edwards and Doherty. I'd like to see Williamson,Teixeira or Lasse Vigen Christensen and James Husband or Luke Garbutt.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two new defenders; EEL for Williamson, Doherty (actually don't have a problem with him but he's not a left back and as Golbourne isn't being picked we clear need someone not sure who) and a striker for more competition, could see us go for Bradshaw.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Centre-half. EEL for Williamson or Mariappa (would love both). EEL has some great physical attributes but we need some experience and leadership in the back four.

2. Dave Edwards. Works so hard but in a 4-2-3-1 system, you need more guile and quality from your 'Number 10'. Ideal replacements would be Alex Pritchard or Nick Powell. I actually think Mark Davies could play in a midfield three as well. Perhaps Zyro will be the answer there...

3. Scott Golbourne. I quite like Golbourne but I think we need some quality competition there. Struggling a little for potential replacements. James Husband?

Martinez
Iorfa, Williamson, Batth, Husband
Price, McDonald
Byrne, Pritchard, Graham
Afobe

Ikeme, Hause, Coady, Zyro, Wallace, Henry, Enokbahare

Pritchard contract up in the summer or has he signed an extention?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Pritchard contract up in the summer or has he signed an extention?

Signed a long-term deal in the Summer. There's no chance in hell of a permanent deal but I do think he'll go on loan again given his injury and the emergence of Dele Alli.

To Derby no doubt...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EEL > Williamson, or another experienced + quality centre half to lead our young side.
Golbourne > Rico Henry, Walsall's 18 yr old left back interesting Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool.
Edwards > Afobe, and sign a forward who is powerful and can hold up play/chase every loose ball (i.e. Dicko!) Libor Kozak springs to mind available from the Villa.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was Moxey I would be getting Jackett to sign this:

P45.gif

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
For me, the three positions we're crying out for some quality are centre half, left back and attacking mid. Who knows, maybe Michal Zyro might be the answer in the number 10 role, we'll have to wait and see. We need some experience and quality in defence though, that's for sure. Getting Williamson back would be brilliant, he made a massive difference to our side when he was here before. A lot will depend too on whether we hang on to Afobe. If he goes, and my gut instinct is that he will, then obviously we need to bring another striker in too.

LG Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme/Martinez

Iorfa Batth Williamson New LB

Price McDonald

Byrne New CAM Graham

Afobe

Afobe will clearly be gone in January but that team coached properly is top six material.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If today's starting XI I'd want to replace 5, although Coady would be replaced by Price but for illness and hopefully Henry will be replaced by Zyro although why he hasn't by Byrne is still beyond me.

Anyway to my three...

Dave - for such a key position for our system to have someone who is so limited is embarrassing, I have played with better footballers and I'm sure there's plenty in the stands that are better, nice bloke - I'm sure, willing to work hard - no doubt, but that doesn't make you good enough for Wolverhampton Wanderers otherwise half the crowd are and they'd do it for free.

Replacements: Pritchard loan (permanent if they feel like making a secure investment in our clubs future), Mark Davies, Nick Powell, Jordan Mutch, Gued, Chung Yong Lee, Jonny Williams, Gary Mackay-Steven, Callum McGregor, Lewis McGugan, Gary Gardener, Adam Forshaw, Zac Clough, Luke Freeman, Romanie Sawyers, Conor Hourihane, Milan Lalkovic, Bradley Dack, Michael Jacobs, Jose Baxter, Kemar Roofe.
Plenty there all that are better than Dave, all who'd be realistic some on loan, some permanent.

Doherty - not his fault as he isn't a left back but our other one needs improving on, both are him and Golbourne are fine as squad players at this level but we should want better than that.

Replacements: Rico Henry (who we've been interested in but may have missed the boat on), Keiran Richardson, Matt Targett, James Husband, Ben Coker, Zeki Fryers, Jack Robinson (if he's back fit yet), John Flanagan, Charlie Mulgrew.

EEL - need some experience at the back to help the others and he simply isn't ready for this level yet and plays in a position where learning on the job will cost you more than any other. We can't afford for him to do that here.

Replacements: Williamson (for obvious reasons), Marcin Wasilewski, Adrian Mariappa, Marc Wilson, Steven Taylor, Kyle Bartley, Steven Caulker (possibly too ambitious), Charlie Mulgrew, Brede Hangeland, Matt Mills, Harry Maguire.

I think there's plenty of alternatives available out there too all of the positions we need to strengthen (there's more than just these three when you look at strength in depth) even if our budget only stretches to just free transfers and loans, there will be even more too once the Jan transfer merry go starts and players join clubs freeing others up.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Batth before EEL??? Really because I'm starting to think playing with 10 is preferable to playing with EEL

Fair comment but they are both awful and on today's performance I plumped for DB.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair comment but they are both awful and on today's performance I plumped for DB.

I'd argue that eel is hindering Batth.

I always think off defensive partnerships, as made up of, a defender, then a cover player.

Think Cahill and Terry.
Rio and Terry
Rio and Vidic
Koscielny and Mertesacker
Stearman and Batth
Stearman Batth
Stearman and Craddock
Mancienne Craddock
As examples

Hopefully stones and Smalling become a great one.

You have one player that can defend and attack the ball. Then the other to cover ( possibley be good on the ball aswell)

This is where the problem with eel and Batth comes in. Both the aggressive defender. Neither are good at the cover part. Neither want that responsibility. Williamson isn't going to play that role either but then, Atleast you have experience and communication at the back. An organisation at the back. That's the way around it. Being well organised and having good communication.

E

E is for idiot.

EEL is so bad it is funny. If he was playing for someone else anyway.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not exactly what my op question was but kind of on the same lines of replacing a player and it's not worth its own thread.

But with Holts loan coming up soon and I think we can all agree he hasn't done enough to get it extended. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was...

But I do think we need a physical presence and ability to play back to goal upfront to get the most out of the rest of our players. Just to help Afobe out if he stays or so Alf or Dicko can play off him. Also be a target from the dozen of crosses we produce and hold the ball up to allow our midfielders a bit more freedom. Would be useful just for a plan B.

So what about....victor anichebe... Okay he is a donkey. But at 6ft 3, built like an ox. Works hard for the team. Got a bit of pace. Got a nice touch for his size and really good back to goal. Okay he won't get you goals in the premiership. He isn't capable of playing as a loan striker. But he could get the most out of Afobe. Playing every week may improve him, playing with a partner aswell might do the same. He might actually score at this level, we don't know.

Just think about being a defender and coming up against Afobe and Anichebe. It won't be a walk in the park will it. One will bully you, back in to you, probably 50 pounds heavier then you, that's probably just muscle aswell. Then the other will be playing on your shoulder, stretching his legs or getting on the ball and running at you. Good old fashioned, still works to this day. Big man little man. Ulloa and Vardy and deeney and ighalo are two examples.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
THREE?

From yesterday:

Batth Eel Coady Henry Edwards Byrne Sigurdarson Wallace Holt

From Elsewhere:

Saville and Rowe

Just Eleven

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my view we definitely need more than 3 new first 11 starters and that is assuming Afobe stays. Ideally, we need 2 CBs although Batth may be just about OK with a decent experienced CB along side him (he was OK last year because Stearman was able to cover for him). We also need at least one central midfielder (McDonald and Coady are too slow and predictable), a number 10 (if Zyro or Siggy cannot make that position their own) and a striker (Holt is well past his sell by and ALF is not the answer either given the formations we play). We all know that this won't happen though.

E

Essex Wolf

Saw the opening line of the title and immediately thought Morgan, Moxey and Jackett but then realised what was being asked.:D

Players wise I'd like to see EEL, Golbourne and Holt replaced although for me Holt has hardly been given a chance such is Jackett's stubborn insistence on playing just one striker.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd argue that eel is hindering Batth.

I always think off defensive partnerships, as made up of, a defender, then a cover player.

Think Cahill and Terry.
Rio and Terry
Rio and Vidic
Koscielny and Mertesacker
Stearman and Batth
Stearman Batth
Stearman and Craddock
Mancienne Craddock
As examples

Hopefully stones and Smalling become a great one.

You have one player that can defend and attack the ball. Then the other to cover ( possibley be good on the ball aswell)

This is where the problem with eel and Batth comes in. Both the aggressive defender. Neither are good at the cover part. Neither want that responsibility. Williamson isn't going to play that role either but then, Atleast you have experience and communication at the back. An organisation at the back. That's the way around it. Being well organised and having good communication.

And I'd argue that Batth is poor, particularly around his distribution.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I makes me depressed just thinking about how little effect changing only three players would have. We have are so short of a good team. For me we need 5 at least.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I'd argue that Batth is poor, particularly around his distribution.

Yet 3 times he put in great passes first half (I know as I made a point of saying because people round me slag of his distribution, so was letting them know) then blow me second half he hoofed every $$$$ing ball. Point is he can do it, I really think it's confidence with him, Stears and him helped each other. Funnily Stears is not doing well at Fulham

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I makes me depressed just thinking about how little effect changing only three players would have. We have are so short of a good team. For me we need 5 at least.

You say this but look at the impact Williamson has over eel

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I would play Ikeme, Iorfa, Batth, Price, Macca, Graham and Afobe so that gives me 7, Dicko is still to come back and we have signed Zyro, so for me a LB and CH (looks like Williamson) are a must replacing Goldbourne and EEL but would keep them both for the squad.

Edwards for me is also a bench player so I guess that would be my third although we could try Siggy or Wallace there?

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So a team with only a couple of changes - Is it good enough to make the top 6?

Ikeme,
Iorfa, Batth, Mike Williamson, Rico Henry,
Price, KMac,
Zyro, Mark Davies, Graham,
Afobe

NB I would like Prithchard and Targett but not sure we would get them?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ikeme,
Price, KMac,
Afobe

Over s season it has a chance. Half and needs to make up how many points. Depends on how good Zyro is and if Davis stays fit. Also how they all link up.

But what an attack that would be.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ikeme,
Price, KMac,
Afobe

Certainly, wouldn't be far off the automatic with a bit more strength in depth although Dicko, Hause and Martinez being back fit would go a long way to providing that.

I suppose a key dependant would be on whether Zyro is as good as we're hoping, if he is/or we brought in a player proven here (plenty of those available too) there wouldn't be many teams I'd swap the above for at this level.

S

Shrewd wolf

If Dicko was playing in the majority of games this season,would wolves be in the position they are in now?----- no,they would be in top six no probs.afobe misses him big time

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Dicko was playing in the majority of games this season,would wolves be in the position they are in now?----- no,they would be in top six no probs.afobe misses him big time

Part disagrees . Based on how useless he was Early season .

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the three positions we're crying out for some quality are centre half, left back and attacking mid. Who knows, maybe Michal Zyro might be the answer in the number 10 role, we'll have to wait and see. We need some experience and quality in defence though, that's for sure. Getting Williamson back would be brilliant, he made a massive difference to our side when he was here before. A lot will depend too on whether we hang on to Afobe. If he goes, and my gut instinct is that he will, then obviously we need to bring another striker in too.

Same for me. Experienced central defender, flexible attacking midfielder (who can play 10 well), and another striker who can either play in a 442 with Afobe or replace him if he leaves. As some have said, perhaps Afobe would be better playing the 10 role himself, but I think we tried that and not sure it worked?

Back
Top Bottom