Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Recruitment Player Profile

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been trying to work out what the player profile of our recruitment looks like.

My slight disappointment (and it may not be justified) is our decision to not sign established players in what I would describe as their "prime".

Now, I know Moutinho is a class act, as is Neves and Patricio but they are players, at their current ages, that I would expect most top-half Premier League Clubs to be able to attract.

Our profile seems to be experienced (30 Yrs+ with a relatively modest current valuation) or young and "upcoming".

Impressive for a newly Promoted club, but not particularly impressive for the clubs we are supposedly competing with if the ambitions are led to be believed.

We have a very exciting squad, with a nice blend of experience and youth, but we don't have those solid experienced players, who are in their prime in the c22-28 year old bracket.

Jonny is a classic example of the type of player I'm referring to - and it's a shame he is only on loan - but he is the right age, with the right experience but probably not within our current recruitment strategy as a permanent option.

It certainly helps keep down the net sped, which is why I suspect it's a policy we have chosen to adopt, but it means players like Yerry Mina, Marco Rojo, Andre Silva et al are probably not within our plans as viable options. Sadly, I think Mawson and Mitrovic both fit within this category also.

I think it's a great plan if we see out the next couple of years in the Premier League, the likes of Jota, Costa, Neves, Vinagre, Boly will become hugely valuable, but next season won't be as plain sailing as some suggest.

Does anyone else agree? There is a constant stream of players being linked with us but to be it appears our strategy is relatively clear which gives a nice indication of those rumours which will have some element of reliability attached to them.

Mr E

Reaction score
Well, with FFP in mind, we can't go out and spend 40m on players in their prime like teams in the top 6. Hence the strategy.

Short answer but probably not far from the truth.

K

Kingswinford Wolf

There's still time. Strengthen where possible without breaking the bank allows us to invest money in the areas felt are really needed. Traore ticks attacking and wing back cover and at 18m won't break the bank meaning we can probably spend a decent amount on a striker and a CB.

If you said to me after last season we will add Patricio, Moutinho, a new wingback with lots of experience, Traore, new CB and a striker on top of Jiminez I'd have taken that. I know we have lost Douglas but I think Vinagre will surprise many people this season.

modenawolf

Reaction score
I would argue that Rui Patricio IS in his prime.

And generally to sign players in their prime costs an awful lot of money.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been trying to work out what the player profile of our recruitment looks like.

My slight disappointment (and it may not be justified) is our decision to not sign established players in what I would describe as their "prime".

Now, I know Moutinho is a class act, as is Neves and Patricio but they are players, at their current ages, that I would expect most top-half Premier League Clubs to be able to attract.

Our profile seems to be experienced (30 Yrs+ with a relatively modest current valuation) or young and "upcoming".

Impressive for a newly Promoted club, but not particularly impressive for the clubs we are supposedly competing with if the ambitions are led to be believed.

We have a very exciting squad, with a nice blend of experience and youth, but we don't have those solid experienced players, who are in their prime in the c22-28 year old bracket.

Jonny is a classic example of the type of player I'm referring to - and it's a shame he is only on loan - but he is the right age, with the right experience but probably not within our current recruitment strategy as a permanent option.

It certainly helps keep down the net sped, which is why I suspect it's a policy we have chosen to adopt, but it means players like Yerry Mina, Marco Rojo, Andre Silva et al are probably not within our plans as viable options. Sadly, I think Mawson and Mitrovic both fit within this category also.

I think it's a great plan if we see out the next couple of years in the Premier League, the likes of Jota, Costa, Neves, Vinagre, Boly will become hugely valuable, but next season won't be as plain sailing as some suggest.

Does anyone else agree? There is a constant stream of players being linked with us but to be it appears our strategy is relatively clear which gives a nice indication of those rumours which will have some element of reliability attached to them.

I think it's simpler than all that.....

Can they improve our squad? Yes or no.

O

Orinoco

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere already, but as it stands have we paid any transfer fee for Patricio ? Could it be that we're having to earmark 20m-30m depending on the outcome of the legal proceedings ?

That would presumably have a big impact on our remaining budget for players.

S

Southbank Ebanks

It depends how quickly we want to progress up the ladder, 3/4 of the teams in the Prem aren’t all that so just with the signings we’ve already made I think we will be able to compete and avoid a relegation scrap.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also worth pointing out we have a number of players in the 25 and older bracket including Coady, Doherty, Bennett, Batth, Saiss and now Jimenez with Costa and Cav approaching their mid twenties. Don't see a problem with getting a few older more experienced heads and continue with the policy with young talents with good sell on values

Back
Top Bottom