Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Reading fans forget their dead

P

PeteWolf

http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

I assume the memorial at the Madejski to their fallen masses has weeds growing around it now! :rolleyes:

Albion don't care about us any more it seems, Walsall and Shrewsbury are still bitter little nobodies, whilst Norwich fans have taken time out from pestering their cousins to still bring up a bad tackle from getting on for two decades ago.

Not the most scientific of studies though I wouldn't have said. 1200 fans only works out at about 13 per club.

J

Jungleee

$$$$ Reading bunch of prawn sandwich mugs. Don't even know what passion is.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of those are a load of $$$$$$$$.

I live in Coventry, and whilst Coventry fans hate Leicester, they absolutely detest Villa with a passion. Villa to Coventry fans are what Albion fans are to us.

As for Chelsea, I always thought that Millwall were the team they absolutely hated, closely followed by West Ham then Fulham.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And apparently Stoke hate the Baggies more than us?

They detest Albion, goes back years. Albion used to accuse Stoke of playing anti-football...and Stoke keep beating them. Stoke think they're a bunch of arrogant nambie pambies who prefer to cultivate a posh image rather then get stuck in....and lets face it, you rarely see an Albion fan in Sainbury's who hasn't got his shirt neatly tucked into his tracksuit bottoms :vollkommenauf:
Stoke and Wolves are pretty similar clubs and cities....main football team in the city, deprived areas, grounded, cynical.

And the Villa, Blues, Albion triangle is ok by me....I'd rather all the Birmingham clubs stick together and hate each other.

O

One Too Many

Stoke and Wolves are pretty similar clubs and cities....:D

And the Villa, Blues, Albion triangle is ok by me....I'd rather all the Birmingham clubs stick together and hate each other.

Stoke play poor quality football to a good standard. Wolves play good football to a poor standard. Pretty similar I guess! :D

Most Albion fans don't hate blues and most blues don't hate Albion. (as the blues fans boinging and cheering as news of our great escape came through would suggest) I think it would be more accurate to suggest that Albion and blues 'get on' as the have a mutual dislike of all things villa and wolves. I think it would be more accurate to say that both Albion and blues 3rd most hated rival would be stoke.

As for albions main rival being villa, its a tricky one. For any Albion fans who is 35 plus, villa will have always been their main rivals. For the younger fans it has always been wolves. Obviously this is down to the fact that we have played wolves many more times over the last 25 years then we have villa.

I am not saying this just to wind you up on here, but times are a changing. For the last 2 or 3 seasons, apart from when we have played you, there are no longer any chants of $$$$ on the wanderers or slap a dingle at home games. All the hatred is now aimed at villa. I guess its due to the fact that a) we are playing (and beating!) Villa far more frequently and B) because the BCD has been done to death over the last 10 years and let's face it, whilst it's always good to win, you have hardly put up much of a fight in recent times so I think many see villa as 'as new challenge'.

But don't worry, you'll always be the team that I hate the most :D

R

reanswolf

Stoke play poor quality football to a good standard. Wolves play good football to a poor standard. Pretty similar I guess! :D

Most Albion fans don't hate blues and most blues don't hate Albion. (as the blues fans boinging and cheering as news of our great escape came through would suggest) I think it would be more accurate to suggest that Albion and blues 'get on' as the have a mutual dislike of all things villa and wolves. I think it would be more accurate to say that both Albion and blues 3rd most hated rival would be stoke.

As for albions main rival being villa, its a tricky one. For any Albion fans who is 35 plus, villa will have always been their main rivals. For the younger fans it has always been wolves. Obviously this is down to the fact that we have played wolves many more times over the last 25 years then we have villa.

I am not saying this just to wind you up on here, but times are a changing. For the last 2 or 3 seasons, apart from when we have played you, there are no longer any chants of $$$$ on the wanderers or slap a dingle at home games. All the hatred is now aimed at villa. I guess its due to the fact that a) we are playing (and beating!) Villa far more frequently and B) because the BCD has been done to death over the last 10 years and let's face it, whilst it's always good to win, you have hardly put up much of a fight in recent times so I think many see villa as 'as new challenge'.

But don't worry, you'll always be the team that I hate the most :D

Sadly its mainly true - Wolves have generally been crap whoever we play in the midlands. WBA,Villa, Stoke etc.

Remember a lot of WBA fans are Brummies anyway so the Wolves thing was always gonna be temporary anyway. Whilst BC Albion fans obviously dislike Wolves. Never understood why WBA and Blues fans like each other tho I expect they are bonded by their dislike of their bigger neighbour - Villa. I expect we would feel the same about Villa if they were on our doorstep. Bloody Brummies eh!

O

One Too Many

Sadly its mainly true - Wolves have generally been crap whoever we play in the midlands. WBA,Villa, Stoke etc.

Remember a lot of WBA fans are Brummies anyway so the Wolves thing was always gonna be temporary anyway. Whilst BC Albion fans obviously dislike Wolves. Never understood why WBA and Blues fans like each other tho I expect they are bonded by their dislike of their bigger neighbour - Villa. I expect we would feel the same about Villa if they were on our doorstep. Bloody Brummies eh!

Rightly or wrongly, I have never felt that a good proportion of our fan base come from Birmingham. I guess I make this assumption via the fact that of all the Albion fans that I have met, and become friends with at games over the years, none have been brummies.
Places such as Lichfield, Wolverhampton, bromsgrove, Kidderminster yes, but never Birmingham.

I am convinced that the rivalry thing generally has more to do with age rather than location (although of course any Albion fan living in say kings Norton is probably going to hate blues most) and is simply down to the fact that the older generations grew up with us doing battle with villa regularly, whilst the younger lads, who have 'only' been going for the last 20 years will have seen us play against wolves more seasons than not.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Clubs, not teams. Ownership structure, stadium redevelopment records, one club cities, solid identity, fading manufacturing history and similarly deprived areas etc.

R

reanswolf

Rightly or wrongly, I have never felt that a good proportion of our fan base come from Birmingham. I guess I make this assumption via the fact that of all the Albion fans that I have met, and become friends with at games over the years, none have been brummies.
Places such as Lichfield, Wolverhampton, bromsgrove, Kidderminster yes, but never Birmingham.

I am convinced that the rivalry thing generally has more to do with age rather than location (although of course any Albion fan living in say kings Norton is probably going to hate blues most) and is simply down to the fact that the older generations grew up with us doing battle with villa regularly, whilst the younger lads, who have 'only' been going for the last 20 years will have seen us play against wolves more seasons than not.

I reckon its 65-35% split BC to Brummy fans for WBA, I have met a lot from Brum, Northfield, Kings Norton, Smethwick (which I class as Brum), plus lots from Bromsgrove, Tamworth, Sutton Coldfield, Kiddy, Worcester. But I accept hard core Albion areas are West Brom, Wednesbury, Halesowen, Oldbury, Great Bridge,Blackheath, Rowley Regis, a lot of Dudley. There are also good numbers from Brierley Hill, Stourbridge, Sedgley, Coseley and even quite a few in Bilston. You always meet an odd few in Wolvo but I guess people are geographically more mobile these days.

With your dominance over us for two decades now, I guess things must have swung your way, though it doesnt really show gates wise bizarrely. Even with cheap ST prices, Albion struggle to sell out 23000 home tickets whilst doing so well. Good hard core support tho, I would'nt question that.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You explain it well. Albion haven't got a defined boundary or City identity so they can pick and choose their rivals on preference, relative to success or failure, strengths and weaknesses....there's no natural rival but different opponents to focus on as trends change.
Like a symbiotic fungus, rather than an out-and-out parasite.

O

One Too Many

I reckon its 65-35% split BC to Brummy fans for WBA, I have met a lot from Brum, Northfield, Kings Norton, Smethwick (which I class as Brum), plus lots from Bromsgrove, Tamworth, Sutton Coldfield, Kiddy, Worcester. But I accept hard core Albion areas are West Brom, Wednesbury, Halesowen, Oldbury, Great Bridge,Blackheath, Rowley Regis, a lot of Dudley. There are also good numbers from Brierley Hill, Stourbridge, Sedgley, Coseley and even quite a few in Bilston. You always meet an odd few in Wolvo but I guess people are geographically more mobile these days.

With your dominance over us for two decades now, I guess things must have swung your way, though it doesnt really show gates wise bizarrely. Even with cheap ST prices, Albion struggle to sell out 23000 home tickets whilst doing so well. Good hard core support tho, I would'nt question that.

I'd say the split was closer to 85% BC to 15% brummie, but as I said I could be well wide of the mark. A good point about people being more mobile though. An Albion mate of mine lives in bilston, and has done for the last 6 or 7 years, but had spent the previous 30 years of his life in west brom. Another has spent the last few years in cannock but was originally from oldbury. Had these guys now been living in brum rather than bilston / cannock, I am guessing you would be including them in you 'brummie Albion' percentage. I suppose there could well be a lot of Albion fans who have moved from the BC to brum; TBH I hadn't really considered that, I was thinking more along the lines of the number of Albion fans that were born in brum.

I have always thought that even given success on the pitch and sensible ticket prices (i still think matchday prices are too high, I believe half of our home games this season are £40) that we would struggle to average much more than 27k home fans over the course of a season on a regular basis. However, I don't see the connection between our dominance over you and our gates.....its almost as if you were expecting 3k wolves fans to suddenly start turning up at the Hawthorns because we are the better team.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering Leeds are now Norwich's feeder club I'm surprised they come 3rd behind Ipswich and ourselves. Ungrateful carrot crunchers!

R

reanswolf

I would have thought it would affect gates. It must affect which club local kids in borderline areas support.especially those with no family connection to either club

W

we8wba

to me

Detest - Blues
Dislike - Albion
Use to like - Walsall and Villa until we played the pair in more recent times
Not even on the radar - stoke

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
You explain it well. Albion haven't got a defined boundary or City identity so they can pick and choose their rivals on preference, relative to success or failure, strengths and weaknesses....there's no natural rival but different opponents to focus on as trends change.

I Like this. :D

They are currently feeling very much Brummie like it seems.

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of those are a load of $$$$$$$$.

I live in Coventry, and whilst Coventry fans hate Leicester, they absolutely detest Villa with a passion. Villa to Coventry fans are what Albion fans are to us.

As for Chelsea, I always thought that Millwall were the team they absolutely hated, closely followed by West Ham then Fulham.

It used to be Spurs then Wet Spam IIRC. In the 70's it was defo Wet Spam as they got to the Bridge early for a match between the two and kicked down the turnstiles filling the Shed. Tut tut.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs, not teams. Ownership structure, stadium redevelopment records, one club cities, solid identity, fading manufacturing history and similarly deprived areas etc.

I think port vale fans might disagree with you on that one:eek:.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think port vale fans might disagree with you on that one:eek:.

They're entitled to disagree, but they'd be wrong really. The only time they've been near comparable is when Rudge was there....they're like Walsall or Shrews are to Wolves, not a rival.

O

One Too Many

I would have thought it would affect gates. It must affect which club local kids in borderline areas support.especially those with no family connection to either club

But most will have some family connection, those that don't will most likely follow who their mates support. Taking this into consideration, you have probably lost more young fans to the likes of man u, Chelsea and man city then you have to Albion. Although sometimes you wouldn't believe it when reading this forum, the gap between Albion and wolves isn't actually that big, and certainly not big enough to convince many kids who have wolves supporting family / friends that they are going to support Albion instead just because we are a marginally better team.

O

One Too Many

As it's as close as i'm likely to come to getetting one on here, i'll take that as a compliment lol.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're entitled to disagree, but they'd be wrong really. The only time they've been near comparable is when Rudge was there....they're like Walsall or Shrews are to Wolves, not a rival.

I wasn't on about rivalries as port vale and crewe are each others rivals,just being pedantic and saying there are 2 teams in stoke.:p

mrboing

Reaction score
to me

Detest - Blues
Dislike - Albion
Use to like - Walsall and Villa until we played the pair in more recent times
Not even on the radar - stoke

Superb work 'Dislike - Albion' by we8wba

Reans has it about right i'd say, about 65%/35%.

I'd say if the survey was accurate Wolves would still come out 'top' of the vote.

Staggered Stoke can muster the strength to hate us to be honest given the constant losses to them.

L

Lycanthrope

It used to be Spurs then Wet Spam IIRC. In the 70's it was defo Wet Spam as they got to the Bridge early for a match between the two and kicked down the turnstiles filling the Shed. Tut tut.

Chelsea fans hate Spurs more than any other club.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I hate Blues a lot more than Albion. Also starting to get a dislike for Stoke, as a younger fan I've never seen us play Albion too much as they've usually been a division above us. Hence why I feel no real hate towards them.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

And both Stoke and Wolves have Jez in common.:cool:

loopy lupine

Reaction score
According to that Watford's main rival are Leeds!!!! What a load of crock, as someone has replied, without the data to support it, it is merely one person's view on things, and I think he got bored by the time it came to the W's!

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the point being made is that there are two clubs in Stoke-on-Trent. Stoke City and Port Vale......,

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the point being made is that there are two clubs in Stoke-on-Trent. Stoke City and Port Vale......,

Not for much longer. Takeover has fallen through. Prospective new owners won't return calls! Sad state of affairs.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's Blues.

I $$$$ing hate them. Been punching above their weight and it's a thugs den of a ground to go to.

I dislike Albion and Stoke and don't mind Vanilla at all, mainly because i've got a fair few Villa supporting mates.

D

dolph

According to that Watford's main rival are Leeds!!!! What a load of crock, as someone has replied, without the data to support it, it is merely one person's view on things, and I think he got bored by the time it came to the W's!

At the of the day it was answered by 1200 fans not 1200 fans per team!

This must be >1% of all football fans in the country so doesn't even warrant reading IMO!

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But most will have some family connection, those that don't will most likely follow who their mates support. Taking this into consideration, you have probably lost more young fans to the likes of man u, Chelsea and man city then you have to Albion. Although sometimes you wouldn't believe it when reading this forum, the gap between Albion and wolves isn't actually that big, and certainly not big enough to convince many kids who have wolves supporting family / friends that they are going to support Albion instead just because we are a marginally better team.

you are in our shadows.must be difficult for you.playing better football .yoyo club.but youve never been the greatest team in birminghan.weve been the greatest team in the world.european pioneers.

Wolverhampton. Wanderers are your living nightmare.doesnt matter what you do.you wont be as big as us.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most Albion fans don't hate blues and most blues don't hate Albion. (as the blues fans boinging and cheering as news of our great escape came through would suggest) ...

can you write that a bit slower please - it went whooooosh..... :D

birmingham fans were boinging (presumably you mean celebrating?) when wolves stayed up, and birmingham went down... ???

:vollkommenauf:

Back
Top Bottom